Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This is so true, (the points above regarding value)

The outstanding strikers in the world right now. Like RVP at his best or Henry level.

Ronaldo
    Ageuro
    Suarez
    Lewadownski

i may be leaving someone out and you could probably include Ibra and Higuain in that if you wanted.

But the point is we are not buying a world class striker, we will not have one for a few years at best.

Everyone else is massively overrated by a combination of the crazy interweb and football hipsters.

Of course Wenger's right to think about price. Why pay 50-60 million for a striker who's not quite as good as you want.

Go and get someone who may become world class instead. Makes way more sense and keep playing Giroud in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gosplan wrote: »
    This is so true,

The outstanding strikers in the world right now. Like RVP at his best or Henry level.

Ronaldo
    Ageuro
    Suarez
    Lewadownski

i may be leaving someone out and you could probably include Ibra and Higuain in that if you wanted.

But the point is we are not buying a world class striker, we will not have one for a few years at best.

Everyone else is massively overrated by a combination of the crazy interweb and football hipsters.

Of course Wenger's right to think about price. Why pay 50-60 million for a striker who's not quite as good as you want.

Go and get someone who may become world class instead. Makes way more sense and keep playing Giroud in the meantime.
    So you're happy for us to go into season with Giroud as our number 1(and only) option as striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you're happy for us to go into season with Giroud as our number 1(and only) option as striker?

That's what he just said, as well, there's only 4 world class strikers and if we can't get them let's get another young prospect...

Unbelievable Jeff

That's what he just said, as well, there's only 4 world class strikers and if we can't get them let's get another young prospect...

Unbelievable Jeff
    Sure there's no one out there better than Giroud!:rolleyes:

Griezmann.
    End of

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Unbelievable Jeff

I took it more he was championing going for a player like Gabriel Barbosa... and now to annoy you all. Today there has been talk of a Juventus bid of 20m having been accepted for Barbosa by Santos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I took it more he was championing going for a player like Gabriel Barbosa... and now to annoy you all. Today there has been talk of a Juventus bid of 20m having been accepted for Barbosa by Santos.

I think that 20m is just for the 40% of his 'rights' that are owned by Santos, they still have to buy out the other 60% from his father and agent.

Nobody wants a Barbosa, we don't need a Barbosa. What we need is a world class striker, at the very least someone who is close to being a world class striker. I'm sorry but too many years have gone by, too much sh1t has happened, too much money has been made to settle for a ****ing Barbosa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Griezmann.
    End of

Can't see why he'd want to join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Nobody wants a Barbosa, we don't need a Barbosa. What we need is a world class striker, at the very least someone who is close to being a world class striker. I'm sorry but too many years have gone by, too much sh1t has happened, too much money has been made to settle for a ****ing Barbosa.

Except the WC striker doesn't exist. Higuain to Juve confirmed for £75m.

So Barbosa or say Ben Yedder? I'd like Barbosa, the type of signing we should have made 2/3 years ago. We've been supposedly waiting and waiting for a WC to come available, if and when that happens a big club pays huge money for them. If Arsenal aren't willing to do that they need to sign an up and coming striker and make them world class. At least Lacazette is showing big potential, hes a level below but could step up.

• Advertisement

Sky Italia are reporting that Higuain has joined Juve for £74.3M.

AdamD wrote: »
    Except the WC striker doesn't exist. Higuain to Juve confirmed for £75m.

So Barbosa or say Ben Yedder? I'd like Barbosa, the type of signing we should have made 2/3 years ago. We've been supposedly waiting and waiting for a WC to come available, if and when that happens a big club pays huge money for them. If Arsenal aren't willing to do that they need to sign an up and coming striker and make them world class. At least Lacazette is showing big potential, hes a level below but could step up.

We should have paid the money, we have the money, the world class players exist we just refuse to buy them. It's that simple. I'd be happy with Lacazette but we won't get him.

That's not what I said.

Paying 50-60 million for someone that will add at most 5 more goals than Giroud is stupid.

Looking for value for them makes sense.

Sure there's no one out there better than Giroud!:rolleyes:

Seriously, this thanks whoring strawman nonsense is annoying.

But sure as long as you're enjoying yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We should have paid the money, we have the money, the world class players exist we just refuse to buy them. It's that simple. I'd be happy with Lacazette but we won't get him.

I think hes the only reasonable option left.

Unbelievable Jeff

Try reading for a change.

That's not what I said.

Paying 50-60 million for someone that will add at most 5 more goals than Giroud is stupid.

Them extra 5 goals can be the difference in winning and losing the league. Such a bull**** argument. Sure if that's the case, why did we buy Cech, sure he'll only keep 3 or 4 more than clean sheets that Szczesney.

Try reading for a change.

You know there's a multi quote function right? So you can respond to several comments at once instead of three one liners. (Adding in my strawman argument)

I did read what you said, it was utter nonsense. You said there are 4 WC strikers. If we can't get them let's get someone who MAY become one...

You know there's a multi quote function right? So you can respond to several comments at once instead of three one liners. (Adding in my strawman argument)

I did read what you said, it was utter nonsense. You said there are 4 WC strikers. If we can't get them let's get someone who MAY become one...

wrong again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

That's not what I said.

At this stage I would pay that money and its not just how much more goals than Giroud this player will get.
    We would then have for example a 25 goal a season striker with a 20 goal a season striker as backup/support as opposed to a 20 goal a season striker with Walcott/Akpom as support.

THose extra goals in the right places could have won the league last season.

Havent posted in aaaaaaggggggeeeeeeeeessssssss really but am not confident for the season at this point.

Them extra 5 goals can be the difference in winning and losing the league. Such a bull**** argument. Sure if that's the case, why did we buy Cech, sure he'll only keep 3 or 4 more than clean sheets that Szczesney.

What about improving other areas?

Would you not rather add 10 goals for the same money?

Gos you're losing it, going off the rails here

What about improving other areas?

Would you not rather add 10 goals for the same money?
    Name a possible way we can add 10 goals for the same money. Who's going to score them?

Name a possible way we can add 10 goals for the same money. Who's going to score them?

Find a RW who can get 15 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

2 of Lacazette/Mahrez/Draxler possibly the only way I'll feel the squad from an attacking POV has improved from what we already have, & I have pretty much accepted its 99.9% likely none of them will be signed. Everyone else of note is already signed up or unlikely to move for anything other than silly money.

Methinks a poor start may force Wenger into a panic splurge but outside of that I get the real impression we're not genuinely serious about addressing the glaring deficiencies in the team.

Sickening watching rivals reinforce whilst we sit & do the bare minimum to achieve top 4 status.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Good few pages here since I last checked, cant wait to get stuck in and see what Ive missed

Gos you're losing it, going off the rails here

Instead of going

"That's what he's saying ....."

And going off on one.

Just read it again.

Seriously it's not complicated.

1: There are world class players, worth any price. Not many of them. Call it what you want, arguing whether it's 4 or 6 or whatever is stupid. But continue to do so if it makes you happy.

2: Then there are really good strikers, not worth any price.

3: Then there are reasonable but young strikers who you can develop in the future.

I'm saying a 'pay them what they want' attitude for the second category isn't good. May as well get a hopefully future world class option from group 3 and continue to play Giroud while developing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Just to confirm - the £29M Lacazette bid is from earlier this summer, it hasn't been out in the last few days or anything. Its only coming out because Lyon are tired of the speculation and say there has been no improved bid since then. I imagine if we were to go in again it would be something closer to 40M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Instead of going

"That's what he's saying ....."

And going off on one.

Just read it again.

Seriously it's not complicated.

1: There are world class players, worth any price. Not many of them. Call it what you want, arguing whether it's 4 or 6 or whatever is stupid. But continue to do so if it makes you happy.

2: Then there are really good strikers, not worth any price.

3: Then there are reasonable but young strikers who you can develop in the future.

I'm saying a 'pay them what they want' attitude for the second category isn't good. May as well get a hopefully future world class option from group 3 and continue to play Giroud while developing them.

The problem with this though is if Giroud gets injured or loses form we are well and truly screwed.

ronjo wrote: »
    The problem with this though is if Giroud gets injured or loses form we are well and truly screwed.

it's a risk yeah but you need to rotate them a fair bit till Welebeck is back.

But sure it's all a risk. Look how many people in here were sickened we didn't sign Soldado.

• Advertisement

Personally I think Wenger hasn't been properly successful since he stopped bringing through world class attacking players.

It was players like Fabregas, Henry and RVP that made us competitive with the best teams in the world. Same as Suarez at Liverpool. Now those attacking players are all at Barca, Real and Bayern.

I'm not sure if Wenger lost his mojo or if everyone else just figured out what he was doing and copied it.

If we sign a striker this year, we need them to score 30 goals to win the league, all other things being equal.

If they're clearly not going to score 30 goals, then why bother spending a huge wad of our budget on just preserving our top 4 status, which seems fairly solid regardless.

People rail for years and years against mediocrity but want to go out and sign players for 50-60 million who will deliver just that. All the players available now are not world class, they've never been chased by the big big clubs. They haven't won things.

Why bother spending any money at all? Top 4 is guaranteed and there are no world class players because if they haven't been chased by a big club then they must be sh1t so let's just save our money. Wenger also invented buying attacking players, everybody else then started doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why spend money on defenders, midfielders, strikers, keeper etc?
    They are no good unless they're the best or WC :pac:

In fact why spend money at all?

Let's just have a big party for all fans. We'll still get fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Apparently Napoli are signing Arek Milik (Polish striker) from Ajax for €35m :eek:

Might give us a free run at Icardi, if we want it.

I agree but I think Arsenal fans think we are guaranteed 4th every season.
    It's going to end sometime, 16/17 could be the year we lose CL.
    I hope not, but it will happen as this league gets more money and more competitive.

Why bother spending any money at all? Top 4 is guaranteed and there are no world class players because if they haven't been chased by a big club then they must be sh1t so let's just save our money. Wenger also invented buying attacking players, everybody else then started doing it.

There you go again.

Any original thoughts Ken?

Or is it easier for you to just poorly paraphrase people's comments into strawmen and throw in the odd rolleyes.

That's noble work you're doing.

There you go again.

Any original thoughts Ken?

Or is it easier for you to just poorly paraphrase people's comments into strawmen and throw in the odd rolleyes.

That's noble work you're doing.

All i'm doing is trying to show you how absolutely ridiculous the sh1t you're coming out with is, i'm not the only one.

I dunno. Ozil is world class, Kos is, Cech is, Sanchez is, Xhaka could be.

What's the difference with getting fourth all the time. Should we not use a scouting system to try and find the next superstar.

Wenger's failing isn't that he might not bring in the best available striker this year. It's that since Sanogo, we haven't been bringing anyone through. What happened to player development?

FFS I see that Mert could be out for 5 months and not a ball kicked in the league as yet SSN.
    I won't be too confident with Gab or Chambers in there.

On the plus side I think we will concede less with Xhaka as our DM.

I dunno. Ozil is world class, Kos is, Cech is, Sanchez is, Xhaka could be.

What's the difference with getting fourth all the time. Should we not use a scouting system to try and find the next superstar.

Wenger's failing isn't that he might not bring in the best available striker this year. It's that since Sanogo, we haven't been bringing anyone through. What happened to player development?

With getting fourth and what?

Ah Jaysis Higuain gone now to Juventus for 73 million.

• Advertisement

Where have you been? Mert and Higuain happened like 3 pages ago :pac:

Where have you been? Mert and Higuain happened like 3 pages ago :pac:

I've been scouting Europe and S. America looking for the next big thing.
    The things I do for Arsenal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jése is the latest striker we are getting linked with. This is torture. On another not, Higuain is the man we should of got 3 seasons ago for 38 million but no way would I sanction us to sign him now for 75.3 million. Thats just crazy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Jése is the latest striker we are getting linked with. This is torture. On another not, Higuain is the man we should of got 3 seasons ago for 38 million but no way would I sanction us to sign him now for 75.3 million. Thats just crazy money.

Sure, but 'crazy money' is 200m or so sitting there doing absolutely nothing while we fail to address gaping flaws up front.

Anyway, Jese is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Everyone but Higuain is sh!te.

With getting fourth and fifth or sixth, given what we do with fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sure, but 'crazy money' is 200m or so sitting there doing absolutely nothing while we fail to address gaping flaws up front.

Anyway, Jese is ****e.

True as well. Are we the only fans who seem to worry about what our club spends. I get that alot off mates who follow the likes of Utd, Chelsea, City etc. :pac:

I just figured out what's going on.

Wenger is trolling United. The money Napoli are getting for Higuain is coming from us buying Pogba off Juve. He just wants more midfielders.

It all makes sense.

I've been scouting Europe and S. America looking for the next big thing.
    The things I do for Arsenal :D

Someone should.

Like it's fine for Wenger to go on the record and sound intelligent about the great strikers coming from SA nowadays.

But we can't sign any young South American strikers??

• Advertisement

It's much better craic in here when you have a laugh lads :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement