Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's much better craic in here when you have a laugh lads :D

It is, people need to debate more and attack less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Higuain is not worth anywhere near the amount Juve paid, mad money.

jester77 wrote: »
    Higuain is not worth anywhere near the amount Juve paid, mad money.

Not to Juve.

Maybe would be to us though.

I mean they have the league sewn up anyway.

He could have won the league for us though.

However, chances are that once Juve were in for him, we didn't have a chance.

Same as when people mention Grizmann. Look at the level he's been playing at lately. Chances of joining us are nil.

gosplan wrote: »
    Personally I think Wenger hasn't been properly successful since he stopped bringing through world class attacking players.

It was players like Fabregas, Henry and RVP that made us competitive with the best teams in the world. Same as Suarez at Liverpool. Now those attacking players are all at Barca, Real and Bayern.
    That's a bit of a self-evident truth, at least with Henry. With van Persie and Fabregas I'm not sure where the success was, they won a total of an FA Cup and Charity Shield in their whole time with Arsenal.

It is, people need to debate more and attack less.

Kind of like Arsenal on the pitch?

• Advertisement

That's a bit of a self-evident truth, at least with Henry. With van Persie and Fabregas I'm not sure where the success was, they won a total of an FA Cup and Charity Shield in their whole time with Arsenal.

But they allowed us to be better than the rest of the team. That's kind of what I mean by success.

We didn't win but with Denilson, Song, Bendtner, Eboue etc getting a lot of playing time, we did fairly well.

Nowadays we have the squad, we just need the star player to propel us over the edge. I fully believe we're pretty much the match of the invincibles now, bar maybe the second CB. Of course the issue is Henry.

I dunno who the star player is though. It might be a 20 goal midfielder like Fab, it might be a 30 goal striker like Henry or RVP.

I know it's not pretty much all the names mentioned here this summer, bar perhaps Higuain.

As regards strikers, Wenger's last big **** up in the market was the stupid bid for Suarez. He approaches that without acting like a d1ck and we've maybe won a league or two since.

That aside, he should have signed some young players to bring through since then.

I don't blame him for passing up a load of OK players though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

True, although the 2008 team would wipe the floor with the current side.

The last 7 strikers we've signed.

Welbeck
    Sanogo
    Giroud
    Podolski
    Gervinho
    Park
    Chamakh

Only Giroud has had any real impact and that's not quite to the level we need. The rest at best have been fresh bodies to put on. They never really did anything.

And the previous 10 Wenger signed for the club.

Eduardo
    Bendtner
    Adebayor
    RVP
    Lupoli
    Wiltord
    Jeffers
    Henry
    Kanu
    Anelka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

On the positive side, I think Xhaka is going to be an excellent signing. He looked impressive at the Euros and brings alot of what we have been missing lately, good to break up play and well able to play the killer pass as well as keeping things simple too. Plus he has an aggressive side, something that hopefully might rub off on a few players.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

If Bellerin has another top season we should cash in on him and put the money in the bank.

Im sure Holding can be used as cover for Jenko.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

itsjaybud wrote: »
    If Bellerin has another top season we should cash in on him and put the money in the bank.

Sums up the beauty of this thread that I can't tell if you're serious or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Confirmed that BFG is out for "a few months". Surely we will be signing a CB now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

wawaman wrote: »
    Confirmed that BFG is out for "a few months". Surely we will be signing a CB now

Monreal will be counted as a centre back now as he has been deployed there before (the usual bollocks from Wenger). Be very surprised to see us bringing in another defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

itsjaybud wrote: »

And sell Ozil and Alexis also before their contracts run out. May as well get a bit of value out of them and add to the bank balance as it might be less than 150m by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We have Kosc, Mert, Chambers, Gabriel and Holding. Can't see us signing a CB. I actually don't really mind those options either, striker and right wing are bigger issues IMO.

More of the same from Gazidis in an interview in the states.
    As always, rumors rule the day during the transfer window. Are there any updates as to what’s coming and what fans should expect when it comes to new signings?

We’ve been really consistent and disciplined over the last three or four years in being very selective about the players that we bring in and not making too many compromises along the way. That has meant both developing young players – we’ve got some fantastic young talent that has come through like Hector Bellerin or Francis Coquelin, Alex Iwobi broke into the first team this year and we’ve got a number of young players that we feel very strongly about behind them – but it also has involved spending big money at times on talented players where we believe they’ll add real value. Players like Mesut Ozil or Alexis Sanchez or this season Granit Xhaka.

But again we don’t sign players in response to public pressure. We sign players because we believe they will progress us as a club. We’re really disciplined about that. We have to be. We don’t have the financial resources of some of the other clubs. If we went out and just tried to compete only on the basis of spending more than others in transfer windows, that wouldn’t be a successful strategy for us. We have to be very disciplined about staying true to our values, staying true to the foundations of the club and making sure that we make smart decisions.

Looking ahead in this transfer window, we’re going to retain that discipline. We will certainly add players if we think and our manager thinks they add value to our squad. We’re actively in the market, as is every other club. We won’t do it if we don’t see the value that’s added to our squad. That’s the reason why our squad has developed over the last few years. That’s the reason it is stronger today than it was five years ago. I think anybody paying attention to what we’ve actually done with our squad will recognize that philosophy and that approach has given us a squad that is capable of competing to win the Premier League and we’re very hopeful about the direction of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

AdamD wrote: »
    We have Kosc, Mert, Chambers, Gabriel and Holding. Can't see us signing a CB. I actually don't really mind those options either, striker and right wing are bigger issues IMO.

I dont know anything about Holding but I have absolutely no faith with any of the others except for Kos.

I think its crucial we sign a starting Centre Half

Basil3 wrote: »
    More of the same from Gazidis in an interview in the states.

Is there any other top club in world football whose manager and CEO spend so much time explaining why we dont spend more money?
    Every single year its the same.

ETA I have gone to the darkside like Ken, Button and Tayto if anyone cares and thats why I havent posted in months........Am totally negative at them moment

ronjo wrote: »
    Is there any other top club in world football whose manager and CEO spend so much time explaining why we dont spend more money?
    Every single year its the same.

ETA I have gone to the darkside like Ken, Button and Tayto if anyone cares and thats why I havent posted in months........Am totally negative at them moment

It's fine ronjo. It's just an entertainment industry. A corporate construct to take a bit of our money and keep us from being too bored.

It doesn't really matter. Just enjoy the football when it comes around.

So our Lacazette bid was before West Ham's. That makes Lyon publicising it very interesting. You'd imagine they just want a different price.

Also Wenger has said we are buying an experienced CB.

• Advertisement

It's fine ronjo. It's just an entertainment industry. A corporate construct to take a bit of our money and keep us from being too bored.

It doesn't really matter. Just enjoy the football when it comes around.

You are right Gos. To be honest last season I found myself getting angry watching them a lot where in previous years it was disappointment.

I prefer playing and watching golf these days.

Obviously I will climb back aboard the bandwagon if we beat Liverpool on the opening day ;)

You are right Gos. To be honest last season I found myself getting angry watching them a lot where in previous years it was disappointment.

I prefer playing and watching golf these days.

Obviously I will climb back aboard the bandwagon if we beat Liverpool on the opening day ;)

Kids really help here I find.

If you're at home watching and things go pear-shaped, just take the kids somewhere. No more time to think about stuff.

If you're out watching the match and things go pear-shaped, you're just so happy to be out drinking in the afternoon without your kids that you don't give a ****.

Kids really help here I find.

If you're at home watching and things go pear-shaped, just take the kids somewhere. No more time to think about stuff.

If you're out watching the match and things go pear-shaped, you're just so happy to be out drinking in the afternoon without your kids that you don't give a ****.

Thats true.... My eldest was a baby when Eboue gave away that stupid penalty against Liverpool in 97th min just after we had gone ahead. She got more attention than usual from me after that game :pac:

Thats true.... My eldest was a baby when Eboue gave away that stupid penalty against Liverpool in 97th min just after we had gone ahead. She got more attention than usual from me after that game :pac:

I missed one of (for the nuteral) our best games ever vrs Liverpool. The CL quarter final vrs Liverpool where Walcott ran the length of the pitch and squared for Adebayor to put us through with 5 mins left. Then Liverpool scored twice.

Was on a plane to Chicago. Got off the plane, checked result. **** it, holiday time, hot wings and beer.

Also watched the CL final vrs Barca in the mountains in Yunan in Western China. Managed to be very un-bothered at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Why are Utd dithering in the transfer market and just pay the asking price for pogba ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Knocked this off Twitter!

Per's injury is what happens when you name a player Captain on this team. Did we kill Karma's pet dog or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Why are Utd dithering in the transfer market and just pay the asking price for pogba ffs

With the greatest respect, thats nothing for us to be concerned about. I couldnt give a shiny one about them. Having that man as their manager makes them easy to hate again. I'm cool with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

This is basically me only time I ever go to the pub these days is to watch a game and the football is an excuse these days rather then a reason to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So our Lacazette bid was before West Ham's. That makes Lyon publicising it very interesting. You'd imagine they just want a different price.

Also Wenger has said we are buying an experienced CB.

If West Ham bid higher, and the club are happy, but the player won't go, then it just means Lyon were putting pressure on us to come back and match the West Ham bid. We may have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A Valencia-based newspaper, Plaza Deportiva, has said that we've enquired for Shkodran Mustafi. They say he wants to join us and that Valencia need to sell to comply with FFP, but that they're determined to fetch a high price.

Seems The Jeff is officially promoted to the first team. We have quite a few exciting young players, just need these elusive proven World Class players to go with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

A Valencia-based newspaper, Plaza Deportiva, has said that we've enquired for Shkodran Mustafi. They say he wants to join us and that Valencia need to sell to comply with FFP, but that they're determined to fetch a high price.

Jan Aage Fjortoft said that yesterday on twitter so seems like defo something in that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

With Sanchez, Ox, Walcott, Jeff, Iwobi and Campbell all in the squad I imagine 1 or 2 would have to go in the event of a signing.

Ox could still come good, he certainly has ability but that's a pretty meh set of wingers.

AdamD wrote: »
    With Sanchez, Ox, Walcott, Jeff, Iwobi and Campbell all in the squad I imagine 1 or 2 would have to go in the event of a signing.

Ox could still come good, he certainly has ability but that's a pretty meh set of wingers.

With Jeff and Iwobi, I can't see why you'd persist giving games to Walcott and Ox.

keano_afc wrote: »
    With the greatest respect, thats nothing for us to be concerned about. I couldnt give a shiny one about them. Having that man as their manager makes them easy to hate again. I'm cool with that.

It was sarcastic post

Are we the only club that dithers in the market or are we the only club that should pay whatever the other club want

• Advertisement

il be more annoyed about the fact that we're going to have to look at Walcott playing again next season, he was truly awful in the last few months, jumping out of that tackle was the final straw for me, let him feck off somewhere else and hide for some other team. Nobodys gonna take him though as not many will match the wages he's on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

wonga77 wrote: »
    il be more annoyed about the fact that we're going to have to look at Walcott playing again next season, he was truly awful in the last few months, jumping out of that tackle was the final straw for me, let him feck off somewhere else and hide for some other team. Nobodys gonna take him though as not many will match the wages he's on

+1

A very frustrating season last year but that jumped tackle almost me tear the TV off the wall in a rage. I don't even want to see that coward in an arsenal shirt again. He doesn't deserve it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Mustafi and Aubamayeng it is so , came out today denying that he would only leave Dortmund for Madrid get in there Dick Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Coquelin spent today's training session at CB :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Coquelin spent today's training session at CB :pac:

Just saw that. What an embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Just saw that. What an embarrassment.

Pre-season lads chill out

+1

A very frustrating season last year but that jumped tackle almost me tear the TV off the wall in a rage. I don't even want to see that coward in an arsenal shirt again. He doesn't deserve it imo.

I dunno, he was never exactly a 'brave' player, but he suffered a major injury playing for Arsenal, and it's clearly had a psychological effect on him.

I dunno, he was never exactly a 'brave' player, but he suffered a major injury playing for Arsenal, and it's clearly had a psychological effect on him.

Not many of them are.
    Eduardo was very brave, threw himself at everything.
    Chamakh was suprisingly brave, albeit very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If he cant hack it anymore then he should head for the USA.
    We cant afford to carry passengers.

If he cant hack it anymore then he should head for the USA.
    We cant afford to carry passengers.

Well IMO he should be given some leeway, but I've had the same injury as him and can relate.

We can't afford to have him in the squad if he can't contribute goals, but him avoiding a 50/50 tackle in the situation he did doesn't really bother me, to be honest.

Nonsense, he pulled out of that tackle as he had one eye on the euros. Jack came back after a long time out and didn't shy away from anything and he's made of wet cardboard

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nonsense, he pulled out of that tackle as he had one eye on the euros. Jack came back after a long time out and didn't shy away from anything and he's made of wet cardboard

Yeah, but Jack's always been reckless, and ACL injury is much worse than what Jack had.

Anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Anyone have a link to a clip of that Walcott incident? I've been trying to find find it, but unsuccessfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to a clip of that Walcott incident? I've been trying to find find it, but unsuccessfully.
    Here ya go
    Quazzie wrote: »
    He should be docked his wages this week for this tbh.

https://streamable.com/q3mq?t=10.9

The star are claiming howe is out number one target to replace Wenger

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement