Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

The star are claiming howe is out number one target to replace Wenger

Think it's a good replacement when Arsene decides to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Here come the Howe Knows Best brigade! Ha ha...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

The star are claiming howe is out number one target to replace Wenger

Howe as in Eddie Howe? Wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The problem with Walcott is he's not a very intelligent footballer. He had the attributes but he never developed any cop-on with regards to what to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nonsense, he pulled out of that tackle as he had one eye on the euros. Jack came back after a long time out and didn't shy away from anything and he's made of wet cardboard

Are we still going on about this? If he can get back to his best he will be a great squad player. He could be vital in those first few games when so many players are missing. I'm hopeful he can prove the doubters wrong

greendom wrote: »
    Are we still going on about this? If he can get back to his best he will be a great squad player. He could be vital in those first few games when so many players are missing. I'm hopeful he can prove the doubters wrong

Walcott is one of the more experienced members of this squad and yet was utterly useless when we needed him badly to step up to the plate last season. that cowardly jump spoke volumes about his mindset. Anyone who thinks he should be kept on can have no complaints when we come up short again

gosplan wrote: »
    The problem with Walcott is he's not a very intelligent footballer. He had the attributes but he never developed any cop-on with regards to what to do next.

He never developed cop on, bravery, or technique. He is symptomatic of our fall into mediocrity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

He never developed cop on, bravery, or technique. He is symptomatic of our fall into mediocrity

He's not even a proper footballer. Made it simply by having tonnes of pace and potential as a young footballer. Never filled out, never improved apart from his finishing but that seems to have gone backwards now too, a coward, a passenger...it's time for him to pack his bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Just on Arsenals snapchat there .... coquelin quoted to be training as center back ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Drexel wrote: »
    Howe as in Eddie Howe? Wtf

if he does a leicester and wins the league this year then ok. If not and he is the leading contender for the job next summer then we might aswell all pack up and go home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Just on Arsenals snapchat there .... coquelin quoted to be training as center back ....

Hes about 2 foot shorter that Bilbo Baggins. Outrageous if true.

2 weeks to go to the opening game of the season. Clock is ticking to bring in some quality attacking options. If we start with Sanogo up front and Walcott on the wing against Liverpool I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The club campaign of lowering the fans expectations seems to be working a treat anyway... After the last three seasons (2 FA cups & runners up in the league) you'd be forgiven for thinking the clubs support should be looking forward to pushing on this year with a reinforced squad, but not at The Arsenal, through transfer mismanagement & soundbytes re: questionable financial limitations they've done a remarkable job of taking the wind from the supporters sails...

I firmly believe that this could be the season it all goes pear shaped for Wenger, which given the chances of it being his last would be a shame to go out on his lowest point...

I'm not even entertaining the idea of the likes of Eddie Howe as his replacement, if that happened there'd be uproar.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

http://www.football365.com/news/is-francis-coquelin-arsenals-new-centre-half

yeah its true check out the video he dont look happy :)

Walcott is one of the more experienced members of this squad and yet was utterly useless when we needed him badly to step up to the plate last season. that cowardly jump spoke volumes about his mindset. Anyone who thinks he should be kept on can have no complaints when we come up short again

He had a desperately poor return from injury at the end of last season, apart from the goal against City and yes the nadir was bottling from the challenge, but part of that was having to play in a deeper role as Button had already brought up. (playing further back than Bellerin)

He has been brilliant for us. Do people forget the way we tore Man U apart at the Emirates last season for example. Walcott was instrumental in that.

I think there is still a chance that we could see that sort of performance from him again and that the psychological scars from the last injury have fully healed.

Of course if he does turn out to be just as ineffectual as he was in the Spring then his time is up

pudzey101 wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/news/is-francis-coquelin-arsenals-new-centre-half

yeah its true check out the video he dont look happy :)

It's a nothing story though.

Kos is on holidays, Gabriel is sick and Holden has just joined up with the squad.

No other club would this be of any interest but Arsenal have made a joke of themselves for so long over transfers that it gets traction.

• Advertisement

He had a desperately poor return from injury at the end of last season, apart from the goal against City and yes the nadir was bottling from the challenge, but part of that was having to play in a deeper role as Button had already brought up. (playing further back than Bellerin)

He has been brilliant for us. Do people forget the way we tore Man U apart at the Emirates last season for example. Walcott was instrumental in that.

I think there is still a chance that we could see that sort of performance from him again and that the psychological scars from the last injury have fully healed.

Of course if he does turn out to be just as ineffectual as he was in the Spring then his time is up

Walcott is not good enough as a winger and not good enough as a CF.

His only season that merits any kind of inclusion was the one alongside RVP where he scored quite a few.

1 decent season in, what 10?? And that was 4/5 years ago.

Edit: yeah, 10 years.

Look there are always flashes of what could be with Walcott but I'm the most optimistic poster here and after a decade even I'm saying that it's time to stop hoping he can develop some consistency.

His only season that merits any kind of inclusion was the one alongside RVP where he scored quite a few.

He was going at a goal every 90 minutes season before last....and then he got injured.

Basil3 wrote: »
    He was going at a goal every 90 minutes season before last....and then he got injured.

Granted but he got 42 games/sub appearences to come back from that.

Used very sparingly...and I mean only being the guy that comes on after 70 mins when we're ahead...he could be of use.

But whether it's due to injuries or form, it would be highly irresponsible of anyone at the club to rely on Walcott in any way.

Also a big personal issue I have with him is that he's very soft and I don't mean jumping out of that tackle. If you're gonna be small you have to be a bit tougher. Any time a defender gets near Walcott, he loses the ball.

Granted but he got 42 games/sub appearences to come back from that.

Used very sparingly...and I mean only being the guy that comes on after 70 mins when we're ahead...he could be of use.

But whether it's due to injuries or form, it would be highly irresponsible of anyone at the club to rely on Walcott in any way.

Also a big personal issue I have with him is that he's very soft and I don't mean jumping out of that tackle. If you're gonna be small you have to be a bit tougher. Any time a defender gets near Walcott, he loses the ball.

Yeah, Sanchez also does that.

Regardless, there's only 3 guys in our team that can kill a defender through pure pace/acceleration. That's Theo, The Ox, and Bellerin. It's a shame that we can't get the best out of the first two, but that's what happens when we're against teams that are happy to sit back.

I'd have no problem with Theo going, depending on who is coming in. No point getting rid of him for the sake of it.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, Sanchez also does that.

Regardless, there's only 3 guys in our team that can kill a defender through pure pace/acceleration. That's Theo, The Ox, and Bellerin. It's a shame that we can't get the best out of the first two, but that's what happens when we're against teams that are happy to sit back.

I'd have no problem with Theo going, depending on who is coming in. No point getting rid of him for the sake of it.

To be honest I think Sanchez is quite the opposite. Wins the ball for us a lot, frequently comes out with the ball when he shouldn't. He has a bit of the 'head down and charge' thing but it works so much better for him because he's tenacious.

• Advertisement

To be honest I think Sanchez is quite the opposite. Wins the ball for us a lot, frequently comes out with the ball when he shouldn't. He has a bit of the 'head down and charge' thing but it works so much better for him because he's tenacious.

He also loses the ball more than any other player on the team. Generally because he's trying something audacious but the fact still remains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sanchez loses the ball more than any other player, and in my opinion he is the easiest player for defenders to play against. 99/100 times he has the ball he'll just turn and run and try run past a defender, or through him a large portion of the time. Any defender who can run along side him, and is strong enough to stand up when he's coming will get the ball off him. Personally I don't see where all the love for Sanchez comes from. He contributes a few goals, but not at important times, and when the chips are down against the tougher opposition he'd be the first player I'd be subbing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Van Persie supposedly off to Rangers, random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sanchez loses the ball more than any other player, and in my opinion he is the easiest player for defenders to play against. 99/100 times he has the ball he'll just turn and run and try run past a defender, or through him a large portion of the time. Any defender who can run along side him, and is strong enough to stand up when he's coming will get the ball off him. Personally I don't see where all the love for Sanchez comes from. He contributes a few goals, but not at important times, and when the chips are down against the tougher opposition he'd be the first player I'd be subbing off.

I think if you actually ask those defenders, they'll probably say different. At least Sanchez has skill, Walcott just runs into them and falls over. I see where you're coming from with losing the ball, and it's pretty bad when he's not in form. Absolutely worth it for when he is in form though, at that point he's a force of nature.

As for not scoring important goals, I remember him scoring goals that got us into the Champions League, against Liverpool, Manchester United (twice when we destroyed them last season in first 20 minutes, IIRC), Borussia Dortmund, Manchester City, FA Cup semi final, FA Cup final. What constitutes an important goal to you? Honestly, I've no idea where you've pulled that one from.

Sanchez has 30 goals in 65 games for Arsenal. He loses the ball a lot but that's a great return for a winger.

His losing possession for us is tolerable because he's such a high return player.

Walcott has 50 something goals in 250 games.

Quite the difference.

RVP going to rangers.... dare I say sneaky bid? Desperate times lads. Imagine sanogo starting against Liverpool...

Christ. What am I even saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's one thing to have a go at Walcott who has been utterly dreadful and contributed hardly anything to the team recently other than wasting space on the pitch, but people going off on Sanchez now? One of our most talented skillful and dedicated players? A winger who has scored 30 goals since joining? Come on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Edit: yeah, 10 years.

Look there are always flashes of what could be with Walcott but I'm the most optimistic poster here and after a decade even I'm saying that it's time to stop hoping he can develop some consistency.

A bit like seeing the knickers of a beautiful woman you fancy hanging on the clothes-line. In most cases you know it's as near as you're going to get.

Alot of the love for Sanchez come from his attitude, he just never gives up, keeps battling away even when things are not going his way, never goes hiding and you just know he's the type of player that would keep playing if he took a bang or whatever.
    As opposed to one or two who disappear on a regular basis.

It's also important to point out that Sanchez gets into the box and scores headers, pressurises defenders into errors and he can finish.

He's like a second striker playing on the wing given his goal return. One that also does his defensive work.

Yeah he loses possession a lot but he's more than worth it.

As regards only scoring against lesser teams. That was the standard complaint levelled at Henry as well. Who cares?? Wingers delivering 15-20 goals a season against anyone will win you things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sanchez loses the ball more than any other player, and in my opinion he is the easiest player for defenders to play against. 99/100 times he has the ball he'll just turn and run and try run past a defender, or through him a large portion of the time. Any defender who can run along side him, and is strong enough to stand up when he's coming will get the ball off him.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in here, you seriously think football is this simple. In Sanchez we have a world class player who has his faults put to paint him anything as simple as above is unreal.

The lad has played and delivered at the highest level in Europes top leagues and international tournaments

Couple of journalists in Algeria are claiming that Mahrez will join Arsenal, fingers crossed !

Couple of journalists in Algeria are claiming that Mahrez will join Arsenal, fingers crossed !

http://www.punditarena.com/football/arsenaltsn/how-reliable-is-the-latest-algerian-report-on-mahrez-to-arsenal/

It's just old recycled speculation

does that go for the report in Elheddaf too. Apparently it's an Algerian paper that regularly interviews Mahrez and his agent. They could just be trying to wind us Arsenal fans up again. It's happened befre

does that go for the report in Elheddaf too. Apparently it's an Algerian paper that regularly interviews Mahrez and his agent. They could just be trying to wind us Arsenal fans up again. It's happened befre

No way does Mahrez and his agent leak this story before Arsenal and Leicester(if there is a story that is)

I'm not sure I'd imagine so, until something is confirmed I just don't believe it, it hurts less that way :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

RVP going to rangers.... dare I say sneaky bid? Desperate times lads. Imagine sanogo starting against Liverpool...

Christ. What am I even saying.
    Slap_hysterical_woman_-_airplane.gif

No?

:D
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know we need a striker but if reports today are to be believed, i.e. Coq being tried at CB then we have a lot more to worry about. Mert injured and Gab still ill leaves us with scary options. Let's hope Coq was just messing.

I wonder who'll start in the CB positions tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Coq played at CB because Mert is injured, Kosc isn't on tour and Gabriel is sick.

If they wanted to play a game they'd need 4 CBs

Chambers & Holding
    Bielik? & Coq

Ridiculously unlikely that he'd ever play there I think.

Linked with Manduzkic again, wouldn't be too happy with that signing, not really what we're looking for IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Linked with Manduzkic again, wouldn't be too happy with that signing, not really what we're looking for IMO

Too similar to Giroud for my liking.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Too similar to Giroud for my liking.

My thinking exactly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The comments from Gazidis are just trolling at this stage. Trying to tell us that we cant compete with others who have loads of cash. ffs we have loads of cash. Whats the point of earning it if you aren't going to do anything with it. All it ends up doing is going to the tax man.

Trying to sound all business like and then saying that they've spent big on youth training etc (£20m). They could allocate 50% of the tv money alone for 2016 and be able to improve the squad and the way things are going that money is only going to rise. We'll get it every year. Year after year, after year.

They are afraid of spending - he has all but said it.

We are not a club with ambition. No future manager will change that. No WC player will consider us while the club's finances are so much more prioritised ahead of the players ambitions.

The players know it and they could be arsed half the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The comments from Gazidis are just trolling at this stage. Trying to tell us that we cant compete with others who have loads of cash. ffs we have loads of cash. Whats the point of earning it if you aren't going to do anything with it. All it ends up doing is going to the tax man.

Trying to sound all business like and then saying that they've spent big on youth training etc (£20m). They could allocate 50% of the tv money alone for 2016 and be able to improve the squad and the way things are going that money is only going to rise. We'll get it every year. Year after year, after year.

They are afraid of spending - he has all but said it.

We are not a club with ambition. No future manager will change that. No WC player will consider us while the club's finances are so much more prioritised ahead of the players ambitions.

The players know it and they could be arsed half the time.

I still don't think the club can really compete with the silly spenders, but his statements have really annoyed me and many other I know :mad:

• Advertisement

Arsenal are a business...football matters are maybe 10% of the overall plan for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

L'prof wrote: »
    I still don't think the club can really compete with the silly spenders, but his statements have really annoyed me and many other I know :mad:

Its the fact that they are completely contradictory to what he said 3 years ago, as Arseblog pointed out. Someone above hit the nail on the head, there is a culture of fear at the business. I'm not calling them a football club any more, because that's not what they are. They are a business afraid to invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Anyone remember when Arsene was telling us he saw Song as a future CB?

Il be glad when the transfer window is shut, im bored of the will he/wont he stuff. Either way come the 1st September we know what we have and can get on with it

The problem with all of it is this 'planning for the future' line we're continually fed.

I've just no idea what exactly we're waiting for and I have this horrible feeling that the only person whose goals are being met is Kronke.

Doesn't matter anyway. Either decent players are coming in this summer or Sanchez, Ozil, Kos and Wenger are going out next summer.

Spend now or spend then, or be like Everton and Spurs.

I'd nearly rather that, just for the honesty, so we can stop masquerading as a club that wants to win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement