Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ah sure at least we tried :pac: Now lets concentrate on our title challenge until we fall to pieces in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Basil3 wrote: »
    I only know of an offer for Vardy.... who is the other one?

Do you enjoy asking silly questions? Its fairly obvious who we are talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still holding hope for draxlar

Still holding hope for draxlar

Don't torture yourself mate.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Don't torture yourself mate.

Stopped the torturing 3 years ago :)

wonga77 wrote: »
    Do you enjoy asking silly questions? Its fairly obvious who we are talking about...

I'm not aware of us bidding for any Leicester player other than Vardy. It's not a silly question.

People are getting annoyed by a player we might have never actually gone after possibly signing a new contract with their current club. Think that's slightly more silly than my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If Walcott starts up front for us against Pool, I'm not sure even I'll watch. At this stage, my enthusiasm for the club is at an all time low.

We have already missed out on some quality players this summer which were well in our range. Mario Goetze went back to Dortmund for a mere 26 million Euros. These were the type of players we were signing when David Dein was at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Where's the Mahrez story coming out of curiosity?

gosplan wrote: »
    Where's the Mahrez story coming out of curiosity?

All local lecister paper have it

And the express have it too

• Advertisement

All local lecister paper have it

And the express have it too

Not to nitpick, he'll probably not come to us anyway, but is there any source? I've read a few things saying 'Ranieri thinks he'll stay' but I read a bunch of stuff yesterday that said 37m to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ha seems with each day passing I'm right.

Nothing has changed. Business as usual.

Not to nitpick, he'll probably not come to us anyway, but is there any source? I've read a few things saying 'Ranieri thinks he'll stay' but I read a bunch of stuff yesterday that said 37m to us.

Here is a pic of back page can't link article

Yeah, saw that.

Again, have to stress we won't get him but I think that's just the Ranieri stuff.

Nothing says he's signed or will sign.

Don't think he'll come to us but would be hugely surprised if he stayed at Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fcuk sake lads Arsene told us years ago the top players aren't available.......and they still ain't by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That just says they'te locked in talks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

So they are offering him £100,000 per week to stay yet here we are paying Theo £140,000 per week. I think I know which player I'd prefer and I was a staunch Theo fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Do none of you think that even with a new forward or two, arsenal still wouldn't win the league?

I think the bigger issue is defensively tbh. There's players needed offensively whether it's someone to play ahead of giroud or an alternative to him but i don't think it'll matter that much if their still likely to concede in any game

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Do none of you think that even with a new forward or two, arsenal still wouldn't win the league?

I think the bigger issue is defensively tbh. There's players needed offensively whether it's someone to play ahead of giroud or an alternative to him but i don't think it'll matter that much if their still likely to concede in any game

Conceding soft goals is a huge concern of mine. The team at times look unprepared.

Another concern is that IF we did sign Mahrez he won't have a striker to run behind defences like he has a Leicester. He wouldn't get near the numbers he got last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Conceding soft goals is a huge concern of mine. The team at times look unprepared.

Another concern is that IF we did sign Mahrez he won't have a striker to run behind defences like he has a Leicester. He wouldn't get near the numbers he got last season.

I doubt we were ever in for Mahrez, probably another ploy by his agent to get him a better deal. Damn Leicester players and using Arsenal as a ploy for better deals :p, ten years ago Vardy and Mahrez would have jumped at the chance to join us. How times have changed.

Still think we need a leader at Centre Back badly. To go into another league season With Mert and Gabriel as first choice who both cost us points last season is criminal in my eyes. Kos will be needed back as soon as possible.

I think Wenger will sign a forward but I be surprised if he's anything but Welbeck type signing, not quite good enough but offers something different to Giroud. Won't please many but not many choices out there now.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I doubt we were ever in for Mahrez, probably another ploy by his agent to get him a better deal. Damn Leicester players and using Arsenal as a ploy for better deals :p, ten years ago Vardy and Mahrez would have jumped at the chance to join us. How times have changed.

Yes, times have changed. They are currently playing for the Premier League champions. They will be playing champion's league football. People seem to forget this.

Away and third kits officially launched. Still quite like the away shirt.

@Arsenal: Here they are! #ForeverArsenal Like them? You can get yours here 🔻 arsn.al/OIx2fe pic.twitter.com/GA8t3LyOZO

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/759224461182853120

Why go with our 3 Spanish players? Is the brand trying to run with a Spanish Spine cos the English one broke so miserably?

New jersey's ain't bad at all.

Why go with our 3 Spanish players? Is the brand trying to run with a Spanish Spine cos the English one broke so miserably?

New jersey's ain't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I really do have to chuckle at some of the reaction in here at what some papers or Twitter say.

Don't you guys get it? Papers manufacture these stories to sell papers. Twitter ITKs post those stories to get followers... It's all a big game, a fishing competition, and a lot of Arsenal fans take the bait all too often.

Reality is, none of us know who Arsenal are after, or who they had been after, apart from Vardy. The rest is pure idle speculation, and the sooner some of you realise this, and stop losing your sh1t every time you read a "Mahrez rejects Arsenal" article, the better for all of us who like to use this page. It's very tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Great finish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've been hearing about this £35m bid for days. It will fail. We know this.

Raise the bloody bid! It's still less than what West Ham offered months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I've been hearing about this £35m bid for days. It will fail. We know this.

Raise the bloody bid! It's still less than what West Ham offered months ago.

From what I understand, that bid was made months ago and was before the West Ham bid. We haven't gone back since with a new one. Which suggests that Wenger and Arsenal aren't that keen.

From what I understand, that bid was made months ago and was before the West Ham bid. We haven't gone back since with a new one. Which suggests that Wenger and Arsenal aren't that keen.

And rightfully so at the price Lyon want. Be gutted if we blew anything over 30 million on him.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough but our dithering and eye for bargains that don't exist has left us with no other options. Today alone Ben Yedder, Gameiro and Milik will move. Huge summer for available strikers. Once Lacazette bid fails, who's left? I don't care how much we pay, we need a striker. This "that's way too much attitude" is what stopped us from getting Higuain for what turned out to be a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I would stick to my initial assessment and say that even if we sign the players we need, we still won't win the league. As we saw quite often last season, the problem is not personnel, it's poor management. We won't top the pile with Wenger in charge.

And rightfully so at the price Lyon want. Be gutted if we blew anything over 30 million on him.

You do realise we live in a world where Chelsea supposedly offered £57m (yes, pounds) to get Lukaku back, and Everton are holding out for £75m?

Who would you suggest buying, and what would you pay for them? There's not really that many options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Who would you suggest buying, and what would you pay for them? There's not really that many options out there.

This again?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This again?

What again?

You do realise we live in a world where Chelsea supposedly offered 57m (yes, pounds) to get Lukaku back, and Everton are holding out for 75m?

You can't be serious with that last line. Everybody has bought a new striker! There's no one left because we dithered and let Ibra, Batshuayi, Gameiro, Higuain etc etc etc leave.

But to answer your Q, throw 60m at Icardi. Is he worth it? No, he's worth about 40m but valuation has changed from this summer onwards. We cannot afford to buy no one and put Akpom/Sanogo up front in two weeks.

You do realise we live in a world where Chelsea supposedly offered £57m (yes, pounds) to get Lukaku back, and Everton are holding out for £75m?

I'm not sure as all our options are being snapped up. Id rather take a 10 million pound punt or even try for Gabigol. I'm desperate for a striker but if Lacazette at 50 million euros is the best we can do, Id rather not buy one and leave the money to the new manager next year to get what he wants.

You can't be serious with that last line. Everybody has bought a new striker! There's no one left because we dithered and let Ibra, Batshuayi, Gameiro, Higuain etc etc etc leave.

But to answer your Q, throw 60m at Icardi. Is he worth it? No, he's worth about 40m but valuation has changed from this summer onwards. We cannot afford to buy no one and put Akpom/Sanogo up front in two weeks.

1. The question wasn't directed at you.

2. I know there are other options out there, and they cost what they cost. My question is if Lacazette isn't worth €30m, then who would HE buy and what would he get them for?

With my last line I am serious. I'm not talking about the start of the summer before these players moved. I'm talking about right here and now. If you want to talk about fantasy football and time travel, then fine.

1. The question wasn't directed at you.

2. I know there are other options out there, and they cost what they cost. My question is if Lacazette isn't worth 30m, then who would HE buy and what would he get them for?

With my last line I am serious. I'm not talking about the start of the summer before these players moved. I'm talking about right here and now. If you want to talk about fantasy football and time travel, then fine.

This happens every summer. We dither and watch great options go to our rivals, then a Wenger apologist pops up and says the usual "there's no one out there right now, let's save the money till next summer." Then summer rolls around and the cycle continues.

We need to buy players who are better (or at least can compete with) players in our critical positions: ST and CB. Basic stuff.

We can still buy:

Icardi
    Lacazette
    Lukaku
    Bacca
    Gomez

Just get it done.

This happens every summer. We dither and watch great options go to our rivals, then a Wenger apologist pops up and says the usual "there's no one out there right now, let's save the money till next summer." Then summer rolls around and the cycle continues.

We need to buy players who are better (or at least can compete with) players in our critical positions: ST and CB. Basic stuff.

We can still buy:

Icardi
    Lacazette
    Lukaku
    Bacca
    Gomez

Just get it done.

Who is the Wenger apologist and who is saying to leave the money for next summer?

• Advertisement

What again?

A thinly veiled version of "there's no strikers out there at the moment". Not buying that excuse anymore, teams are signing forwards left right and centre, there's literally no excuse for us not to be able to sign a good striker.

A thinly veiled version of "there's no strikers out there at the moment". Not buying that excuse anymore, teams are signing forwards left right and centre, there's literally no excuse for us not to be able to sign a good striker.

You might think you're clever, but it wasn't a thinly veiled anything. Stop trying to read into things and trying to make them fit your own agenda.

You might think you're clever, but it wasn't a thinly veiled anything. Stop trying to read into things and trying to make them fit your own agenda.

Never mind me I'm just picking a row :p

I do agree our options are growing limited but theres still no excuse for us not to sign some sort of forward.

Never mind me I'm just picking a row :p

I do agree our options are growing limited but theres still no excuse for us not to sign some sort of forward.

Ah yeah, Wenger is completely out of excuses now, and he knows it. He has gone on record more than once saying they're after an attacking player, bids have definitely been placed on at least two players. I have no doubt we will bring someone in. Whether it's someone that everyone is happy with is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ah yeah, Wenger is completely out of excuses now, and he knows it. He has gone on record more than once saying they're after an attacking player, bids have definitely been placed on at least two players. I have no doubt we will bring someone in. Whether it's someone that everyone is happy with is another question.

I'm not concerned too much by the name, if it was an unknown or up and coming I'd be fine with that.

We could and should have sold Walcott to supplement our spending on that 'special' player, the market is over inflated but that's for out going players too look at the money Liverpool got this year for **** players

Wengers little dig at the fans the other day annoys me he's a condescending fool these days

Ben Yedder gone to Sevilla so that's another option gone.

Players with far worse scoring records in France than Gervinho aren't really options.

Just because a player is linked, doesn't mean we should get them.

Players with far worse scoring records in France than Gervinho aren't really options.

Just because a player is linked, doesn't mean we should get them.

Ben Yedder has scored far more goals in France than Gervinho so not sure if it's him you're referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

What is this?? Constantly moaning that we dont spend big money for big players yet there's talks we could be spending big money on a big player and you're giving out?

Lacazette isn't Higuain or anything but he's only 25, is fast, powerful, skillful and scores a lot of goals. Lacazette, Giroud and Welbeck is a striking force I can get behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Didn't the Lyon president say during the euros he met Wenger & the player wasn't mentioned, he didn't think he's interested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement