Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

What is this?? Constantly moaning that we dont spend big money for big players yet there's talks we could be spending big money on a big player and you're giving out?

Lacazette isn't Higuain or anything but he's only 25, is fast, powerful, skillful and scores a lot of goals. Lacazette, Giroud and Welbeck is a striking force I can get behind.

It's so 'this thread' though, don't you think? How do we know we've not bid for him again? We don't, it's paper talk and Twitter ramblings.

Not that I'm backing Wenger here, as I've had enough of him too, but as he said, it's a poker game, and you don't reveal your hand until the time is right. There's still a couple of weeks to season start and another 4 or so until the window closes. Id rather he took his time to get the right fit, rather than buy to appease the craving madness on Arsenal internet fora

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Didn't the Lyon president say during the euros he met Wenger & the player wasn't mentioned, he didn't think he's interested

You see, this is the thing. X paper reports this and Y paper reports the opposite, it's all popycock! Until Ornstein reports it, or we see him on skynews in the New Jersey, it ain't gospel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What is this?? Constantly moaning that we dont spend big money for big players yet there's talks we could be spending big money on a big player and you're giving out?

Lacazette isn't Higuain or anything but he's only 25, is fast, powerful, skillful and scores a lot of goals. Lacazette, Giroud and Welbeck is a striking force I can get behind.

Lacazette isnt a big player man, come off it. He is a very good player but if you think he is worth fifty million euros, fair play to you. That strike force would be three decent players. I dont want the club to pay 50 million euros for a player that mightnt even get ahead of Giroud and only offer a slight improvement. We were getting that player in Vardy for half the price and definitely think we could do much better with that money on someone like Icardi.

I would take Lacazette obviously as he is a a very good player and would offer something different but 30-32 million pounds sounds fair and right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seeing as how Troy Deeney was valued at close to 30 million a few weeks ago, who's to say what any player is worth? The current market is gone bonkers

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Seeing as how Troy Deeney was valued at close to 30 million a few weeks ago, who's to say what any player is worth? The current market is gone bonkers

English premium though. English club selling English player to another English club will always distort a fee.

I dunno, maybe you watch the French league or know more about Lacazette than I do but 76 goals in his last 3 seasons is a pretty good return and we wont be getting him for 30 million, not a hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ben Yedder has scored far more goals in France than Gervinho so not sure if it's him you're referring to.

Sorry, was talking about the ratio in last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

emmetlego wrote: »
    It's so 'this thread' though, don't you think? How do we know we've not bid for him again? We don't, it's paper talk and Twitter ramblings.

Not that I'm backing Wenger here, as I've had enough of him too, but as he said, it's a poker game, and you don't reveal your hand until the time is right. There's still a couple of weeks to season start and another 4 or so until the window closes. Id rather he took his time to get the right fit, rather than buy to appease the craving madness on Arsenal internet fora

We were the only team across the top five European divisions (96 teams) to not buy an outfield player last summer. Sometimes Wenger doesn't reveal anything worth showing.

I dunno, maybe you watch the French league or know more about Lacazette than I do but 76 goals in his last 3 seasons is a pretty good return and we wont be getting him for 30 million, not a hope

We probably wont sign anyone anyways :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd be disgusted if we ended without a player but feeling that Lacazette had been worth 30 million but not 42. That's just stupid given our circumstances.

However, loads of the players mentioned in this thread are hugely sub standard options.

Ben Yedder is the guy that Spurs have no problem signing. No big club will touch Gomez.

Far far better off with some 19 year old kid with potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    I'd be disgusted if we ended without a player but feeling that Lacazette had been worth 30 million but not 42. That's just stupid given our circumstances.

However, loads of the players mentioned in this thread are hugely sub standard options.

Ben Yedder is the guy that Spurs have no problem signing. No big club will touch Gomez.

Far far better off with some 19 year old kid with potential.

Sanogo Mk2 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I don't care who comes in as long as we get two s forward and a defender

And The price don't bother me either I will judge them during the season on if they're good enough not how little or how much we paid for them

And The price don't bother me either I will judge them during the season on if they're good enough not how little or how much we paid for them

There might be an end of season sale :pac:

Based on everything that I've heard from Wenger, I'd say you'd be extremely lucky to get more than one more forward coming in.

Sanogo Mk2 ??

Not much of a point there tbh Tayto. And you made it last week. Interesting though that when I mention the prospect of Wenger bringing through you talent, you jump to Sanogo. Not the association most would make.

No point in wasting our money on a striker who'll never be more use than Giroud. At least find either someone's who's better now or will be better in the future.

I mean we could probably sign Andy Carroll of that would please people.

Not much of a point there tbh Tayto. And you made it last week. Interesting though that when I mention the prospect of Wenger bringing through you talent, you jump to Sanogo. Not the association most would make.

No point in wasting our money on a striker who'll never be more use than Giroud. At least find either someone's who's better now or will be better in the future.

I mean we could probably sign Andy Carroll of that would please people.

I have also said often enough that we need to buy a proven striker, the finished article.
    No more experiments in this area as far as i'm concerned.
    Giroud should be the back-up striker.
    We have the money, the building is done, now it's time to fulfill the promises made over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Mustafi supposedly arriving in England tomorrow .

I have also said often enough that we need to buy a proven striker, the finished article.
    No more experiments in this area as far as i'm concerned.
    Giroud should be the back-up striker.
    We have the money, the building is done, now it's time to fulfill the promises made over the years.

I'm in no disagreement there.

All I said was no point in overpaying for an average striker. If we're going to get someone who won't play ahead of Giroud, it may as well be one for the future.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would take Lacazette obviously as he is a a very good player and would offer something different but 30-32 million pounds sounds fair and right.

Fair and right yes, realistic though? Not in today's market Imo.

• Advertisement

I'm in no disagreement there.

All I said was no point in overpaying for an average striker. If we're going to get someone who won't play ahead of Giroud, it may as well be one for the future.

I have also been saying that we won't sign a striker. If we were going to do so we would have sold one or two of our existing panel. We didn't so i don't see any striker coming in let alone another unproven one.
    If we were going to buy the "finished article" then i think we would have done our business early when there were plenty available so that's not going to happen either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I have also been saying that we won't sign a striker. If we were going to do so we would have sold one or two of our existing panel. We didn't so i don't see any striker coming in let alone another unproven one.
    If we were going to buy the "finished article" then i think we would have done our business early when there were plenty available so that's not going to happen either.

Welbeck is out so his squad place is up for grabs. We will buy a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

greendom wrote: »
    Welbeck is out so his squad place is up for grabs. We will buy a striker.

Well according to Gazidis we have youngsters coming through so I expect one of them will fill the gap. Wenger said that he's in the market for a striker so God only knows what will happen. Either way the only way we are going to challenge is by buying a good and proven striker but as i said i can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just popped in to say 14 days to Liverpool.

Nothing changes.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Just popped in to say 14 days to Liverpool.

Nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bet we get a defender before Liverpool and a striker before deadline

Basil3 wrote: »

My bad.

Can't wait.

My bad.

Can't wait.

Every day counts at this stage :D

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Every day counts at this stage :D

Looking forward to seeing Xhaka in an Arsenal shirt.
    I think he'll make a big difference and help us concede a lot less goals.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160730/wenger-discusses-the-transfer-market

So Wenger definitely expects to sign a defender before the season starts.... why not ask him a direct question about an attacker?

IMO, it will be one attacker, one defender, business done.

Why were ye trying to buy Vardy if you think thats wengers plan?

Why were ye trying to buy Vardy if you think thats wengers plan?

Its all about price.
    We will only bid so high.
    When Vardy didn't come i felt that's that. If he does buy someone i'll be very surprised if it's for more than 30 million. I don't believe he will though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

If not Lacazette I honestly dont see who Wenger is going to go after

Even getting Mahrez isnt filling any gaps

Rambo is hardly a weakness out right

Hes hardly going to hope this is finally the season it comes together for Theo

Kobe248 wrote: »

Rambo isn't a weakness but he's not ideal, and it's not ideal for him. Cazorla on the left, apart from Sanchez, in his first year or two at the club is the only player we have that has produced what we need from a wide midfielder.

But it remains to be seen whether he's needed in the middle or not.

• Advertisement

Hilariously, Wenger was apparently chased down a beach in LA by a crazed fan telling him to sign Mahrez

But funniest of all today: Johnny Evans for 15million

Kobe248 wrote: »

Icardi would be my choice if we're looking at strikers tbh.

Don't trust a Ligue 1 scoring record at all.

Edit: just read a bit about Icardi there. Seems like a total asshole but he really can finish.

Hilariously, Wenger was apparently chased down a beach in LA by a crazed fan telling him to sign Mahrez

But funniest of all today: Johnny Evans for 15million

Is it really so funny? Look at the centre backs Leicester won the league with last season. Journeymen pure and simple. Then look at Man City spending tens of millions on European centre backs with huge reputations. Absolute disasters when introduced to the EPL. Evsns is a solid player with a wealth of experience who could combine really well with Koscielny.

Is it really so funny? Look at the centre backs Leicester won the league with last season. Journeymen pure and simple. Then look at Man City spending tens of millions on European centre backs with huge reputations. Absolute disasters when introduced to the EPL. Evsns is a solid player with a wealth of experience who could combine really well with Koscielny.

You'd just hope we had advanced past the Silvestre approach to beefing up our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You'd just hope we had advanced past the Silvestre approach to beefing up our defence.

Mustafi looks to be coming in as well and you'd imagine he'd be coming as first choice along with Kos. Since Mert is out long term you also need to buy a capable back up now. Evans seems like a solid option in that case, premiership experience, solid defender and won't be too unhappy at sitting on the bench.

• Advertisement

Mustafi looks to be coming in as well and you'd imagine he'd be coming as first choice along with Kos. Since Mert is out long term you also need to buy a capable back up now. Evans seems like a solid option in that case, premiership experience, solid defender and won't be too unhappy at sitting on the bench.

Kind of agree with this if mustafi is coming.

Can never have enough options and cover.

Kind of agree with this if mustafi is coming.

Can never have enough options and cover.

But it would never be both.

Wenger spending 40m on CBs in the next month?

Would say for the first half of the season it would be Kos/Gab/Mustafi (or whoever) with Holding/Chambers/Bielik fighting for the 4th spot.

The Mahrez thing doesn't seem to go away, with Wenger going to the Leicester/PSG match last night.

I thought Bielik was bought as a defensive midfield type player, When was he converted to a cb or has he been there for the youth squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought Bielik was bought as a defensive midfield type player, When was he converted to a cb or has he been there for the youth squad?
    He played there for the u21s last year I believe.

We're hardly signing Jonny Evans are we? Think I'd actually laugh

Its been rumoured in a good few papers today alright. It would all be a bit Arsenal if we were linked with a German international cb and ended up with Jonny Evans...

Wenger's comments recently seem to suggest that the penny has dropped in terms of the huge increase in transfer fees brought about by the latest tv deal.

Here's hoping anyway

First window for a while where none of our players have been linked with any other club?

Wenger's comments recently seem to suggest that the penny has dropped in terms of the huge increase in transfer fees brought about by the latest tv deal.

Here's hoping anyway

Any link? I must have missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

First window for a while where none of our players have been linked with any other club?

Bellerin was linked to City quite a bit. Thankfully not gonna happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement