Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gosplan - the Silvestre card? That's s low blow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

For a club that supposedly like its privacy in relation to transfer policy, Wenger and Gazidis sure do seem to talk a lot about the transfer market. It would be preferable I think if they just shut up and did what needs to be done.

For a club that supposedly like its privacy in relation to transfer policy, Wenger and Gazidis sure do seem to talk a lot about the transfer market. It would be preferable I think if they just shut up and did what needs to be done.

Well they keep quiet about targets. Of course, they constantly get asked questions about the transfer market. They're only giving some kind of answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

For all my negativity I would be very happy with mustafi Evans xhaka and some striker.

With regards to Evans I think sometimes fans from big clubs just disregard someone if they aren't a superstar yet they can do a good job.

He's pl experienced and would be great cover. Gets stuck in and isn't afraid.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Well they keep quiet about targets. Of course, they constantly get asked questions about the transfer market. They're only giving some kind of answer.

All they need to say is we're active/not active, don't get why they're constantly harping on about player fees or that we can't match other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

All they need to say is we're active/not active, don't get why they're constantly harping on about player fees or that we can't match other clubs.

Sure don't we all know that guy who's always giving it the poor mouth, they are usually the ones with the most money

I get what you're saying, but my point is that you're linking two separate things. I don't know when the club have ever said that they won't discuss the market, or won't answer a question about the market when asked by the media.

They have always kept their targets quiet. This is something completely separate, and this hasn't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I dont really understand the whole converting thing. We bought Bielik as a midfielder who made his first team debut at a young age and has huge potential - as a midfielder. From what I've seen of him so far he's a really good talent and if he develops correctly he could be amazing. So why try convert him into something he's not? Don't know what the point is

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »
    I dont really understand the whole converting thing. We bought Bielik as a midfielder who made his first team debut at a young age and has huge potential - as a midfielder. From what I've seen of him so far he's a really good talent and if he develops correctly he could be amazing. So why try convert him into something he's not? Don't know what the point is

He has the attributes of being a decent CB.

To be fair, who decides what someone should be? Some dude in Poland decided when he was 10 years old that he was a defensive midfielder (I really have no idea), but Arsenal decided at 16 he would be better suited elsewhere.

Who decided that Sanogo should be a striker? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

sonic85 wrote: »

Heaps of players become professionals in areas other than they were pigeon holed to growing up

Look at Bellerin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He has the attributes of being a decent CB.

To be fair, who decides what someone should be? Some dude in Poland decided when he was 10 years old that he was a defensive midfielder (I really have no idea), but Arsenal decided at 16 he would be better suited elsewhere.

Who decided that Sanogo should be a striker? :pac:

Stevie Wonder ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Lads belik played the majority of u21 games as a CB last year not a midfielder

Lads belik played the majority of u21 games as a CB last year not a midfielder

Yeah, he came to us as a midfielder, though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Yeah, he came to us as a midfielder, though

In training Wenger must have changed his mind

All his Arsenal career he is primarily a CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Bellerin came to us as a winger, as were Henry and Van Persie. Ashley Cole started as a winger too. Kolo Toure was a midfielder, Lauren too, Manu Petit a fullback.

As someone who's never seen Bielik play, i'll trust Wenger on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Some interesting quotes from Ranieri in the past hour on Mahrez:

"Maybe Riyad is distracted a bit by all of these rumours and speculation. But that is also an experience for my players. It is important that he understands that he should stay with us."

Seems different from his previous statements that he was "100 percent sure" Mahrez would stay.

May the distractioning continue!

Trust in Wenger.
    10 years of it hasn't brought much back in terms of progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bellerin came to us as a winger, as were Henry and Van Persie. Ashley Cole started as a winger too. Kolo Toure was a midfielder, Lauren too, Manu Petit a fullback.

As someone who's never seen Bielik play, i'll trust Wenger on it.

Yeah. Rediculously hard to develop defenders though. Not a lot of success for Wenger bringing through CBs from youth teams IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I think this is a tactic Wenger uses to flesh out a players defensive abilities, especially when its obvious the footballing skill is there. Personally i think coquelin might make an alright cb backup, especially with someone like Per at the back. I feel like if you stuck Koscielny in midfield you'd see similar performances to Coquelin, great tackles, decent passes, but not too much playmaking.

Its tough as obviously cb is a crucial role to play and can be much more testing than the DM, in terms of responsibility and then scrutiny afterwards, but it does seem bielik has shown his ballplaying potential, Wenger probably wants to make sure he doesn't lose sight of the bigger requirement asked of a DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Who knows if it was Wenger's decision to play him there doubt it was tbh.
    AFAIK he was played there initially because of a shortage

On another note, bar a big spend on the horizon (our willingness to do so cloudied by the tornado of opinions we've heard from Gazidis and Wenger over the last year), Im already pretty disappointed in the way things have gone this Summer. Even though there have been some silly-money buys (Higuain for one), there has been some purchases, that in the current climate, I have no idea why we didnt just outbid, if not just to see our competitors spending power decreased.

I stuck this up last year, but here's a big list of players that I really hope we at least tried to sign (with the caveat of having no knowledge of how they will play or impact their future teams, or whether going after someone else stopped us going after these guys):
    Michy Batshuayi - Chelsea, 33.2m - I just hope we were in for any striker at all really, but would 40m have (with things as they stand) been a bad punt here?
    N'Golo Kante - Chelsea, 32m - We got Xhaka so not that worried about this one, but I think he is going to be a serious threat this season.
    Ilkay Gundogan - Man city, 21m - Feel like Pep got this one sorted early, but an absolute bargain in this climate (not particularly necessary for us)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic -Man U - free - Again, Jose probably had this written in his contract for Man u, but Zlatan is gonna be a menace this season i think.
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan - Borussia Dortmund, 26.3m - Bargain right now but not absolutely necessary
    Victor Valdes - Free - Whos our second keeper if Ospina leaves (Which he really should as he's good enough to play for a team every week). valdes would be another giant in the goalkeeping dressing room.
    Victor Wanyama - Tottenham Hotspur, 11m - Pochettino probably had a big part in this, but wheres the player from english club to english club inflation here?! not necessary, but a handy alternative for less than 15m
    Vincent Janssen - Tottenham Hotspur; 18.6m - Eredrivise Top scorer, young, dutch, and a bargain in this window. How were we not all over this?!
    Kevin Gameiro - Sevilla - 34 Mil - Striker lust.
    Alvaro Morata - 30 mil - Secretly still thinking real will sell us him if they decide to poach Pogba..
    alexandre Pato Villareal - 3 mil - Surely hes better than Walcott..
    El Sharraway -Roma 13 mil - Definitely better than Walcott
    Mats Hummels - Bayern munich 38 mi - No chance, but here's a defender I actuslly think would be worth 50 million to a team.
    Mario Gotze - Dortmund - 26mil - Bargain. Has played alla cross the front line (in a team of supermutants obviously) but a steal when really.
    Janik Vesterrgard - B'Smorgasbordengladbachen - 11 Mil - This kid is gonne be great and he's about 70 feet tall would have been a good replacement for per!

Now again i understand all " Buy World class" and " Dont spend money for no reason" arguments, but with such stagnation I would just rather we at least tried taking a punt on a player. It seems now if we cant find the exact perfect player a the right price, or a young player cheap due to inexperience, we just don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Victor Wanyama - Tottenham Hotspur, 11m - Pochettino probably had a big part in this, but wheres the english player to an english club inflation here?! not necessary, but a handy alternative for less than 15m

I'd say a Kenyan probably doesn't warrant the English player inflation.

Victor Wanyama - Tottenham Hotspur, 11m - Pochettino probably had a big part in this, but wheres the english player to an english club inflation here?! not necessary, but a handy alternative for less than 15m

I'd say a Kenyan probably doesn't warrant the English player inflation.
    Ha you might be onto something there, meant to write english club to english club, thanks for the proof read!

Ha you might be onto something there, meant to write english club to english club, thanks for the proof read!

I did read it all.....didn't read every website you linked though :D

If we do get Lacazette, I'd say it's a better purchase than either Ibra or Batashauyi or the Dutch guy that Spurs have got.

Just hope we bloody get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I stuck this up last year, but here's a big list of players that I really hope we at least tried to sign (with the caveat of having no knowledge of how they will play or impact their future teams, or whether going after someone else stopped us going after these guys):
    Michy Batshuayi - Chelsea, 33.2m - I just hope we were in for any striker at all really, but would 40m have (with things as they stand) been a bad punt here?
    N'Golo Kante - Chelsea, 32m - We got Xhaka so not that worried about this one, but I think he is going to be a serious threat this season.
    Ilkay Gundogan - Man city, 21m - Feel like Pep got this one sorted early, but an absolute bargain in this climate (not particularly necessary for us)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic -Man U - free - Again, Jose probably had this written in his contract for Man u, but Zlatan is gonna be a menace this season i think.
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan - Borussia Dortmund, 26.3m - Bargain right now but not absolutely necessary
    Victor Valdes - Free - Whos our second keeper if Ospina leaves (Which he really should as he's good enough to play for a team every week). valdes would be another giant in the goalkeeping dressing room.
    Victor Wanyama - Tottenham Hotspur, 11m - Pochettino probably had a big part in this, but wheres the player from english club to english club inflation here?! not necessary, but a handy alternative for less than 15m
    Vincent Janssen - Tottenham Hotspur; 18.6m - Eredrivise Top scorer, young, dutch, and a bargain in this window. How were we not all over this?!
    Kevin Gameiro - Sevilla - 34 Mil - Striker lust.
    Alvaro Morata - 30 mil - Secretly still thinking real will sell us him if they decide to poach Pogba..
    alexandre Pato Villareal - 3 mil - Surely hes better than Walcott..
    El Sharraway -Roma 13 mil - Definitely better than Walcott
    Mats Hummels - Bayern munich 38 mi - No chance, but here's a defender I actuslly think would be worth 50 million to a team.
    Mario Gotze - Dortmund - 26mil - Bargain. Has played alla cross the front line (in a team of supermutants obviously) but a steal when really.
    Janik Vesterrgard - B'Smorgasbordengladbachen - 11 Mil - This kid is gonne be great and he's about 70 feet tall would have been a good replacement for per!

Now again i understand all " Buy World class" and " Dont spend money for no reason" arguments, but with such stagnation I would just rather we at least tried taking a punt on a player. It seems now if we cant find the exact perfect player a the right price, or a young player cheap due to inexperience, we just don't bother.

Okay so of the players you mentioned allow me to on this one

Batshuyi: A good player not sure if he's much better than giroud at this stage didn't look anything special at the euro's. Jury is very much out on this lad still

Kante: We don't need we've got Xhaka , Coquelin and Eleneny who can all play that position now

Gundogan: Current injured and in general very injury prone big gamble taking him on, but if he can stay fit well done pep

Zlatan: We were never going to pay the extortionate wages this guy is on and if we did we'd have a few more knocking on wengers door looking for something similar

Valdes: Don't Valdes would bring anything to us Ospina and Cech are lightyears ahead of him fact that united who finished 7th and Standard Liege both god rid

Wanayama: Again same as Kante we have enough in that position

Janssen: People here freak out if we're linked with players from League UN can you imagine if our great striker was someone coming from the far inferior dutch league

The rest
    Gamiero is scandlous money for a fella who couldn't get in the PSG team
    Morata: Very much the spanish giroud poor pace and good in the air
    Hummels : As soon as Bayern entered the race no one else had a chance
    Pato: did great with chelsea didn't he
    El Shaaarawy: one of these kids who came through the milan academy and never did anything of note

Never heard of Vesterguard but out of all those the only 2 I would have liked to see us in for is Goetze and Mihkataryan

Kante, Gotze and Miki Targeryan for me.

Zlatan defo but would just offset the issue for another year. Makes sense to Utd because of Martial and Rashford coming through.

In terms of strikers IMO Higuain>Lacazette/Icardi, then not sure if any of the other 'big names' being touted this year are worth it.

Lacazette showing his silky skills in a Friendly against Benfica

https://t.co/zzjxB4VOU2

• Advertisement

According to AS, Chelsea are in for Mustafi now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

https://youtu.be/LyNW8KmATrs
    ��

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Subtle Arsene at his best! Was that 'the' smile at the end?

Seriously though, wtf was Cascarino know?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

emmetlego wrote: »
    Subtle Arsene at his best! Was that 'the' smile at the end?

There is interest anyway I think we can say. He told a Japanese channel that vardy was staying so I'm guessing he would have denied it if there was nothing to the speculation

The quote was that he'd heard it from contacts in France. I imagine he has quite a few of those!

Ill tell you wo' Mat'!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

gosplan wrote: »
    Icardi would be my choice if we're looking at strikers tbh.

Don't trust a Ligue 1 scoring record at all.

Edit: just read a bit about Icardi there. Seems like a total asshole but he really can finish.

Icardi would be the last player you would want at Arsenal

Hes a terrible person a real head case

Is angling for a move because Inter wouldnt give him Higuian money

His wife Wanda is known as the scum of Argentina

Has worked her way up the fame ladder from footballer to footballer

I would rather Arsenal stick Per upfront tbh than him

greendom wrote: »
    The quote was that he'd heard it from contacts in France. I imagine he has quite a few of those!

He's a bluffer!

• Advertisement

Aulas is to offer Lacazette a revised contract. Let's see if he agrees to sign it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Lacazette isnt a big player man, come off it. He is a very good player but if you think he is worth fifty million euros, fair play to you. That strike force would be three decent players. I dont want the club to pay 50 million euros for a player that mightnt even get ahead of Giroud and only offer a slight improvement. We were getting that player in Vardy for half the price and definitely think we could do much better with that money on someone like Icardi.

All you're doing here is throwing your opinion out as fact. You don't think Lacazzette is a big player yet I guarantee you millions of other football fans would disagree. He's only 25 as I said he is fast, powerful skillful and has scored 76 goals in 136 games the last 3 seasons. 14-15 was 27 in 33 and Ligue 1 player of the year.

I understand your point, he's not Higuain but to be moaning about his potential purchase because it could be 50 mill instead of your evaluation of 30 is just ridiculous considering how we have stood in the markey the past 10 years or so.

Up watching the friendly, sure what else would ya be doing on a bank holiday Sunday. Holding goal, Chambers assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Up watching the friendly, sure what else would ya be doing on a bank holiday Sunday. Holding goal, Chambers assist.

That is some kit though. We could play without flood lights and still pick out our team mates! A different Arsenal kit, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Haven't watched the FH, you lads think chivas will score? Have bbts in bets but might cash out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Oxo scores!

• Advertisement

Kobe248 wrote: »

Yeah, just saw that stuff yesterday. Pretty bad alright.

Kobe248 wrote: »

People said the same things when we were linked to Suarez in 2013. Who cares? He's 23 and a proven goalscorer in a tough league for strikers. I'd take him.

Latest on Mahrez. According to France Football, Mahrez is not signing a new contract with Leicester and claims that the financial element doesn't interest him but wants to play for a club with an established style of play.

The article also says that quite a few clubs are in contact with his entourage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest I'd be blown away if we got Lacezzette because when all the gossip and ****e was going around he's the one I thought we had the least chance of getting because of Aulas who's notoriously tough to negotiate with

I'd be delighted with the window if we ended up him mahrez and mustafi that'd be 4 players straight into the 1st 11 more or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

To be honest I'd be blown away if we got Lacezzette because when all the gossip and ****e was going around he's the one I thought we had the least chance of getting because of Aulas who's notoriously tough to negotiate with

I'd be delighted with the window if we ended up him mahrez and mustafi that'd be 4 players straight into the 1st 11 more or less

Yes would be delighted with that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement