Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Cech
    Bellerin. Gab. Chambers. Monreal
    Xhaka. Elneny
    Ox. Ramsey. Sanchez
    Akpom

I reckon we will start like that against Liverpool
    I think Holding will get the nod before Chambers but agree with the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

smilerf wrote: »
    I think Holding will get the nod before Chambers but agree with the rest

Honestly think Liverpool will destroy us if we play Gabriel and Holding together

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Honestly think Liverpool will destroy us if we play Gabriel and Holding together
    Maybe so but from what I've seen he is calmer and more comfortable
    Chambers and gab can both get a rush of blood
    Guess we'll have to wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Caz in midfield was great because he complimented Coq so well. Plus he was totally necessary because we hadn't a midfielder with decent passing since Arteta.

However, what he didn't do at CMF was burst forward and get involved in the end of things. I'm not sure if it was disclipine or just he didn't have the engine for box to box stuff. So he never scored and got f-all assists too. Basically he jinked away from trouble and found Ozil early and in space.

Fingers toes and everything else crossed that Xhaka can provide that early mid range passing while offering defensive disclipine too. Kind of a Xabi Alonso type player. If he can then you've the option of bringing back a proper box-to-box midfielder in the form of Ramsey. I'm not sure if that would work but if it did, I think it's probably got the biggest upside.

Then though what to do with Caz. For starters he'd be backup for 2 positions(CMF and AMF) but also he's the only player that's ever shown the ability to do what we were trying to get Ramsey to do all along on the wing. That creative wide man thing that keeps possession. He did that well for his first two seasons with us. Plus he's amazing at cutting inside and shooting from range. He won't have the engine to charge up and down and get to the byline but he will take a huge amount of the creative burden off Ozil while hopefully chipping in with goals. He scored 20 from the wing in his first 2 seasons.

I've a feeling this may all be wishful thinking on my part though but if we can get Rambo of the Rambo/Arteta era in CMF and Caz of his first 2 years out wide, we'll be fantastic. Add Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka and a finisher up front and that would be a fantastic team. If they clicked, they'd be an Henry away from the invincibles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looks like Chesney is signing for Roma on a permanent deal. Rumoured to be around the 13 million mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Looks like Chesney is signing for Roma on a permanent deal. Rumoured to be around the 13 million mark.

Great business from our side, hopefully we'll actually use the money to improve our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Gringo180 wrote:

That makes me a little sad on the inside. I always liked him.

Roma are my 2nd team so I've no problem seeing Chesney go there permanently. Always preferred Ospina so I'm glad he'll be staying with us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Is it not another loan this season with the option of a permanent deal next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I can't believe we're keeping Ospina over Szczesney. Yet another poor decision by Wenger :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Quazzie wrote: »
    I can't believe we're keeping Ospina over Szczesney. Yet another poor decision by Wenger :(

Ospina over Scez any day for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Ospina over Scez any day for me

Ospina much more secure than Szez. I liked him but he was always capable of fecking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

This, in a nutshell, is why a manager of any team, can never win!!!

I loved Scez, but Ospina is a better keeper IN MY OPINION! I'd love to go for a pint with Scez and Podolski, but they weren't good enough unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Draxler has said he wants to leave Wolfsberg in an interview in Bild and we are being mentioned as possible buyers...yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Draxlar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

j14 wrote: »
    Draxler has said he wants to leave Wolfsberg in an interview in Bild and we are being mentioned as possible buyers...yes please!

You know the worst part about being an Arsenal fan, it's the hope that you sometimes feel. This one of those moments, logically I just know it won't happen but I still let myself hope a little. You would have thought at this stage I would have learnt my lesson!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

greendom wrote: »
    Ospina much more secure than Szez. I liked him but he was always capable of fecking up.
    Ospina has had feck ups too.

Hope we have a buy back clause. In 2 years Cech will definitely be done and Szez could well have developed, he'd undoubtedly return to us too.

Draxler would be nice

AdamD wrote: »

Hope we have a buy back clause.

Me too. While I think Ospina is currently a better keeper, I don't think he's gonna get much better than he already is. I do think Chesney is gonna improve with time however and turn out to be a great keeper.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Me too. While I think Ospina is currently a better keeper, I don't think he's gonna get much better than he already is. I do think Chesney is gonna improve with time however and turn out to be a great keeper.

The fact Wenger who is an extremely loyal manager to his players got shot of Chez tells you all you need to know. Chez just hasnt the discipline. The cigarette in the dressing room was downright stupid. Wenger was accosted on the sideline that same day. He isnt going to take the flak for eejits who are taking selfies on the pitch after a win and yet falling asunder and smoking after a defeat

L'prof wrote: »
    Is it not another loan this season with the option of a permanent deal next year?

It is actually. The rag I seen it on had the headline that he signed for them permanantely but when I actually read the article it says its another year loan with the option of buying him for 13.4 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Great business from our side, hopefully we'll actually use the money to improve our squad.

4585836-3595522188-ya51d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

emmetlego wrote: »
    This, in a nutshell, is why a manager of any team, can never win!!!

I loved Scez, but Ospina is a better keeper IN MY OPINION! I'd love to go for a pint with Scez and Podolski, but they weren't good enough unfortunately!

They were great "lads" banter etc, but didnt cut the mustard football wise

More Mahrez smoke around today. Seeing a few places saying he'll sign in the next 48 hours...

I'm not getting my hopes up though

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Realistically we prob wont get either. But who would people prefer Draxler or Mahrez? My head says Mahrez, but my heart says Draxler :pac:

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Realistically we prob wont get either. But who would people prefer Draxler or Mahrez? My head says Mahrez, but my heart says Draxler :pac:

I'd be happy with either. Both huge additions to the squad

Can't pretend we're getting both?

😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Draxlar please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Don't like the fact that Draxler is forcing the move... Never saw that as a good sign in players loyalty etc. I'd probably prefer Mahrez, he has proven premier league experience, and we know that some players don't settle well in a new league...

Either way, it's all just journalistic mumbo-jumbo at the moment.

Anytime I've seen Draxler he hasn't impressed me.
    It Mahrez for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

From The Times today:

Arsenal pledge more funds to land Wenger targets

Arsène Wenger has been told that he can have whatever transfer funds it takes to secure his main targets Alexandre Lacazette and Shkodran Mustafi.

Arsenal had planned to limit their summer transfer spending to £100 million and have already spent £30 million on Granit Xhaka, the Switzerland midfield player, but the club acknowledge that they may have to part with more than another £70 million to provide Wenger with the players he wants in an inflated market.

Arsenal had a £29 million bid for Lacazette rejected by Lyons last week and have yet to move for Mustafi, who is valued at £35 million by Valencia. Lyons are holding out for £40 million for the 25-year-old Lacazette, who signed a four-year deal with the French club last summer.

Lacazette has also attracted a bid from West Ham United after scoring 23 goals in Ligue 1 last season, but Lyons coach Bruno Génésio said: “He can leave if Lyons want him to. There are some offers that you cannot refuse.”

I've enjoyed watching Draxler any time I've seen him but Mahrez is more my idea of the finished product which is what we need.

Lacazette and Mustafi still leaves us short on the wing but to be honest I rather that than be left short up front or at the back so I'd be delighted if we signed the pair of them.

That's good to know lads, more than £70 million to be spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Lacazette and Mustafi still leaves us short on the wing but to be honest I rather that than be left short up front or at the back so I'd be delighted if we signed the pair of them.

Be grand Ken..... Sure we have Theo :D

ronjo wrote: »
    Be grand Ken..... Sure we have Theo :D

I really wish we'd sell him, as bad as it sounds, Chambo, Campbell, Iwobi, Gnabry, no world beaters but I guarantee you one of them will come good this year and i'd much rather we play one of them with Sanchez than Walcott, he'll be a waste of space and he'll be holding the young lads back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Think this is Campbell's year. Going to prove a lot of people wrong I reckon, Wenger in particular.

Isn't Draxler a LW rather than a RW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I find it hard to believe that our 'one forward' is going to be Mahrez or Lacazette.

They're not interchangeable or anything, not at this level, either we need a forward or a winger.

What's happened though is both players are not signing new contracts and that's kind of public. Both Leicester and Lyon have said 'no way ... Well maybe ... Well for the right price'.

Wenger's played a highly risky game waiting and waiting but he's probably saved the club a few million.

But just ****ing buy someone already!! I'm really hoping we're in for both of them.

Cech

---Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Koscielny
    Monreal

Xhaka
    Ramsey

Ozil

----Campbell
    Sanchez

Lacazette

Ospina,Debuchy,Mert,Wilshere,Carzola,Coq,Elneny,Ox,Giroud,Welbeck

That looks pretty good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cech

---Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Koscielny
    Monreal

Xhaka
    Ramsey

Ozil

----Campbell
    Sanchez

Lacazette

I'd be happy with that. Imagine Campbell would rotate with Ox, Welbeck when fit and maybe Ramsey.

And Mahrez

Although we need a striker, I kinda would rather Mahrez :P

Hes a bigger improvement than Lacazette and would fit in perfectly. Striker is probably more practical though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We have lots of players that have played RW, some at a very good standard. I'd be happier continuing that set up and missing out on Mahrez than missing out on Lacazette and ending up with Giroud as our sole striking option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm 50-50 on it. We do need a striker, but adding Mahrez' goals would help somewhat, plus getting the best player in the league last season is a huge statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Cech

---Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Koscielny
    Monreal

Xhaka
    Ramsey

Ozil

----Campbell
    Sanchez

Lacazette

I'd prefer to see Cazorla in centre midfield and Ramsey on the wing like last year. I think we're forgetting how valuable Cazorla has been to us in the past few seasons.

Buying Mahrez/Draxler would be bittersweet for me, because I think another striker is badly needed and Lacazette over Giroud could be the difference in winning the league. If adding a winger to our squad means no new strikers, I'd probably rather risk waiting on Wenger buying a decent striker.

I'd prefer to see Cazorla in centre midfield and Ramsey on the wing like last year. I think we're forgetting how valuable Cazorla has been to us in the past few seasons.

Buying Mahrez/Draxler would be bittersweet for me, because I think another striker is badly needed and Lacazette over Giroud could be the difference in winning the league. If adding a winger to our squad means no new strikers, I'd probably rather risk waiting on Wenger buying a decent striker.

I'm torn between Caz/Wil/Ram/Coq tbh we'll have to see what works best. Different pairings for different games etc i'd imagine. It's a good problem to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

We have lots of players that have played RW, some at a very good standard. I'd be happier continuing that set up and missing out on Mahrez than missing out on Lacazette and ending up with Giroud as our sole striking option.

I think this is how we'll go. Ox's pre season (I know, I know) has probably renewed Wenger's faith in him, and the ability is there for him to be brilliant IMO, but its still hit and miss. According to that Times article we want Lacazette and Mustafi, that would be a great window.

Real Madrid haven't made any stellar signings yet. Wonder if they'd be interested in Draxler?

I actually think another wide attacking player is as important as another striker. I cant bare another season of watching bambi on ice (Walcott) getting a run on the wing for us. Oxlade Chamberlain not good enough either. We are too reliant on Sanchez out wide and teams can double up on him and nullifying his impact on games knowing that we havent really got much of a threat on the other wing.

Another centre back would be a bonus but not as important and 2 attackers, as no matter how many good defenders we have we will concede goals with our style of play and poor defensive approach.

I actually think another wide attacking player is as important as another striker. I cant bare another season of watching bambi on ice (Walcott) getting a run on the wing for us. Oxlade Chamberlain not good enough either. We are too reliant on Sanchez out wide and teams can double up on him and nullifying his impact on games knowing that we havent really got much of a threat on the other wing.

Another centre back would be a bonus but not as important and 2 attackers, as no matter how many good defenders we have we will concede goals with our style of play and poor defensive approach.

In reality, having a Sanchez-type player on each wing is only going to put more pressure on our defensive systems. Funnily enough, we actually had one of the best defensive records last year, so it's not as bad as you might think.

We do need to score more goals, though....that's a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

I think we should be looking to buy all three. It's not like we can't afford it for f**k sake. Show some ambition please. I'm sure we'd find some suckers to take Walcott off of us to recoup some of the money. It's like the club has us conditioned to be willing to accept these baby steps despite the promises that we'd be competing with the biggest clubs once the stadium was paid off. We need lacazette mustafi and mahrez in and Walcott out. It's what we need and as fans what we deserve. Let's just get it done arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement