Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I think we should be looking to buy all three. It's not like we can't afford it for f**k sake. Show some ambition please. I'm sure we'd find some suckers to take Walcott off of us to recoup some of the money. It's like the club has us conditioned to be willing to accept these baby steps despite the promises that we'd be competing with the biggest clubs once the stadium was paid off. We need lacazette mustafi and mahrez in and Walcott out. It's what we need and as fans what we deserve. Let's just get it done arsenal.

This^

Nail on the head. I read somewhere last night that Wengers transfer kitty has been increased because of the rise in costs of players and the availability of real quality. Absolutely no reason why Lacazette, Mahrez and Mustafi can't be bought. I really shouldn't be a case of 2 out of 3 at all. Mustafi would walk into our first 11 IMO, as would Mahrez, and Lacazette would battle with Giroud for the striker option. The ideal scenario for me.

All pipe dreams of course, as this is Arsenal, and we never seem to fill the obvious gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

There's no way Wenger is going to buy 4 first team starters in one window lads, there's just not a hope. Cash aside, it would be a huge admission of failure on his part to build a squad as well as upsetting the balance of the team.

Expect 2 more, that's it. It would also make Ramsey and Kos the only players from before 2013 still in the starting line up, something extremely contrary to Wenger's mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

We're due to get £13.4 million for selling Szczesny to Roma, pending a medical today. Good business there!

http://www.90min.com/posts/3552305-wojciech-szczesny-set-for-roma-medical-after-arsenal-agree-13-4m-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

DenMan wrote: »
    We due to get £13.4 million for selling Szczesny to Roma, pending a medical today. Good business there!

http://www.90min.com/posts/3552305-wojciech-szczesny-set-for-roma-medical-after-arsenal-agree-13-4m-deal

A loan with an option for them to buy next season, so no cash for this window's kitty unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

domrush wrote: »
    A loan with an option for them to buy next season, so no cash for this window's kitty unfortunately.

Oh right, thanks for that. Roma signed a goalkeeper from Brazil this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont and never will understand the delay in getting transfers over the line. We seem to bumble around and drag things out for as long as humanly possible. We want to buy Mustafi. The player wants to come. Get the f*cking deal done. Stop fannying around for the sake of a few million pounds which might end up costing you the deal. We need a striker. Go and sign one. Its a week and a half until we face Liverpool with the prospect of playing Akpom up front.

And dont give me "its more complicated than that" bull****. Look at Dortmund, Bayern, Juventus. Even City and United have identified players they need and just bought them. We are rank f*cking amateurs.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I dont and never will understand the delay in getting transfers over the line. We seem to bumble around and drag things out for as long as humanly possible. We want to buy Mustafi. The player wants to come. Get the f*cking deal done. Stop fannying around for the sake of a few million pounds which might end up costing you the deal. We need a striker. Go and sign one. Its a week and a half until we face Liverpool with the prospect of playing Akpom up front.

And dont give me "its more complicated than that" bull****. Look at Dortmund, Bayern, Juventus. Even City and United have identified players they need and just bought them. We are rank f*cking amateurs.
    You seem to be acutely aware of the vagaries of transfer deals from an inside viewpoint then? Please, share with us how easy it is..

This post is exactly the type keeps me from coming in here more regular. Just downright negative for the sake of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

emmetlego wrote: »
    You seem to be acutely aware of the vagaries of transfer deals from an inside viewpoint then? Please, share with us how easy it is..

This post is exactly the type keeps me from coming in here more regular. Just downright negative for the sake of it!

To Be fair, he is right. I mean, look at how quickly United tied up the deal for Pogba.

• Advertisement

To Be fair, he is right. I mean, look at how quickly United tied up the deal for Pogba.

Yup, Real Madrid were exactly the same with Bale. Identified they wanted him, went and got him on the first day of the transfer window.

The main problem is that we really have no idea what's going on, so pretty pointless assuming we do, or getting worked up about it.

I expected this type of response.

Its easy because other teams get the job done, as I said in the first place. We dont. The summer opened with us needing a striker. We still do. Mert got injured 3 weeks ago. No replacement signed yet despite plenty if options and well known interest.

I dont know the ins and out of the transfer market. But I know Arsenal football club are utterly shambolic at transfers. Convince me otherwise.

Life would be fierce depressing if we all looked at life this way! I tend to be more a glass half full type.

Yeah because signing a centre back in a market flooded with them is the exact same as trying to finalise potentially the biggest transfer of all time. I despair at the excuse makers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

domrush wrote: »

Sounds like something a fan of a cash strapped club would say. We dont need cash coming in to spend, our financial position is one of the strongest in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah because signing a centre back in a market flooded with them is the exact same as trying to finalise potentially the biggest transfer of all time. I despair at the excuse makers.

leave your despair till the end of the transfer window, or at least the start of the season. This is going to be a good one for us, there's too much smoke to indicate otherwise.

And the market maybe flooded with centre backs but that doesn't mean we should take the first one that bites or the easiest. It will happen, just be patient. No point in throwing toys out of the pram just yet ! Won't make things any quicker anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I got that too last week when I dare suggest just getting things done.

But we're 10 days away from Liverpool. Probably another slow start to the season then trying to play catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Man City have been trying to sign Stones for two transfer windows at this stage. Good players are hard to sign.

Saying that, I would have expected the Mustafi transfer to be done at this stage. Lyon strike me as a hard club to deal with and signing the player of the season from last year from the current champions i'd expect is also not the easiest of transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Why are people not allowed to express their frustrations in here without getting bombarded with the negative nonsense and silly generalisation's of how they must be negative people in every aspect of their life...

Why are people not allowed to express their frustrations in here without getting bombarded with the negative nonsense and silly generalisation's of how they must be negative people in every aspect of their life...

Coz Arsene knows, thats why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Rabble rabble rabble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Coz Arsene knows, thats why.

I'm what we call a Wenger out brigade member but I agree with others the levels of negativity is stupid there's loads of time left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Rabble rabble rabble.

Standing out here yelling rabble rabble rabble isn't going to help anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Nothing wrong with wanting players signed early, especially when have known for ages that we need to strengthen certain areas, Tis the same shíte every year. At least Xhaka has had a chance to go on the tour to the US, get to know everyone and will be ready for the Liverpool game.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with wanting players signed early, especially when have known for ages that we need to strengthen certain areas, Tis the same shíte every year. At least Xhaka has had a chance to go on the tour to the US, get to know everyone and will be ready for the Liverpool game.

Nothing wrong with it but it isn't that easy. How many clubs are happy with their current squads and ready to go? City maybe, anyone else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And if we signed Mustafi and Lacazette they'd still be on holidays, along with Giroud and Ozil.

If we happen to spend 100 million on three players in one window, getting your knickers in a twist about how we carried it out is kind of nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it but it isn't that easy. How many clubs are happy with their current squads and ready to go? City maybe, anyone else ?

No City still aren't ready either. The problem is window itself teams should have June and July to get ready then window shuts August 1.

In a ridiculous market waiting a month can save you 10m in costs

gosplan wrote: »
    And if we signed Mustafi and Lacazette they'd still be on holidays, along with Giroud and Ozil.

If we happen to spend 100 million on three players in one window, getting your knickers in a twist about how we carried it out is kind of nitpicking.

Lacazette actually got sent off last weekend in a friendly against Benfica so hopefully if we can get him signed in the next few days he should be available for Liverpool.

Mustafi has come over to England for a couple of friendlies on the South Coast. Apparently the Valencia chairman has gone to London for "meetings". That could be just twitter bs though!

I cant speak for the other clubs but if you go through the top 6 or 7, most of them seem to have their business done? Chelsea have signed Batshuayi and Kante, Utd have Ibra, Mkhitaryan, Bailly done and dusted, and whatever becomes of Pogba. City have added Gundongen, Nolito, Sane, and some young Brazilian who will join them in early 2017.
    Liverpool have managed to buy 6 players and get rid of a lot of deadwood,
    Even Leicester have 6 players bought
    We have Xhaka who will be a starter, Asano who probably wont feature and Holding, who im not sure what the plan for him is.
    The only other big club who seem to be not too busy is Spurs but they have already bought Wanyama and Janssen.

Its not easy granted but it would be better for everyone if the club could just identify a player they want, go and get him and stop the dicking about, Maybe then we wouldnt be presented with the situation like when Wenger told Kallstrom that he would have to stay as we hadnt time to buy anyone else

How do you know they would be on holidays? Wasnt Lacazette playing the other day?
    Its not nitpicking to say that it would be better for the players to have a chance to settle in before the first game, not just from a football perspective but a chance to get settled in a new country, new house, new teammates etc etc and give them the best chance to hit the ground running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wolfsburg have released a statement on Draxler:

"“VfL Wolfsburg wish to make it absolutely clear that at no time did those responsible at the club make either written nor oral commitments on the transfer of Julian Draxler within the current transfer period, which is due to end on August 31st, 2016. This is reiterated by a contractual release clause agreed upon with Julian Draxler and his management, which does not come into effect until summer 2017.
    VfL Wolfsburg will not be selling Julian Draxler during the course of the current transfer period.

“In joint discussions with Julian Draxler, VfL Wolfsburg again made it clear that they would not be granting the player’s wish to make a move. We now consider any possible uncertainties to have been eradicated and that all parties can revert back to a professional and responsible collaboration for the good of VfL Wolfsburg and, in particular, for our fans.”"

• Advertisement

How do you know they would be on holidays? Wasnt Lacazette playing the other day?
    Its not nitpicking to say that it would be better for the players to have a chance to settle in before the first game, not just from a football perspective but a chance to get settled in a new country, new house, new teammates etc etc and give them the best chance to hit the ground running

Because we gave all our French and German players longer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Because we gave all our French and German players longer holidays.

Lacazette wasn't in the France squad though so he didn't get a longer holiday

Arsenal have interest in mahrez, Lacazette and mustard but no talks have taken place between afc and Leicester regarding mahrez according to ornstein.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Lacazette wasn't in the France squad though so he didn't get a longer holiday

I stand corrected.

Jeebus, not even in the squad??

I stand corrected.

Jeebus, not even in the squad??

No idea how Gignac got in ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any news today lads?

I'm just back from watching the Town beat Bate.
    It's a pity Stephen O'Donnell is not 10 years younger. He's a great footballer.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    No idea how Gignac got in ahead of him

I get Gignac as you'd need backup to Giroud. Martial though? Showed promise and had a decent if inconsistent season but not a great sign of Lacazette with his scoring record in France can't get in ahead there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Any news today lads?

I'm just back from watching the Town beat Bate.
    It's a pity Stephen O'Donnell is not 10 years younger. He's a great footballer.

Did you walk from Tallaght??? 😜

Congrats etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    Did you walk from Tallaght??? 😜

Congrats etc

It was a long night ,,,,,, and morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wawaman wrote: »
    Arsenal have interest in mahrez, Lacazette and mustard but no talks have taken place between afc and Leicester regarding mahrez according to ornstein.

Bah, no interest in the first two, but that last one is a spicy one!
    wDcmmlk.jpg

CatInABox wrote: »
    Bah, no interest in the first two, but that last one is a spicy one!
    wDcmmlk.jpg

I tris several times to post a picture of Pat Mustard and his massive tool, but it wouldn't upload...

I gather it's an auto correct of Mustafi?

I tris several times to post a picture of Pat Mustard and his massive tool, but it wouldn't upload...

I gather it's an auto correct of Mustafi?

:o yeah mustafi! Although pat mustard could be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

:o yeah mustafi! Although pat mustard could be an option

We're more likely to sign pat mustard...with a broken back.

When/where did Ornstein say this?

nm....just saw the facebook thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Depending on where you read it, Draxler has either a £63m buyout or a £50m buyout but according to some people on twitter we have no interest in him...

• Advertisement

We'll have to be up very early in the morning to sign him, because he is a very careful man lads, A VERY CAREFUL MAN.

We're more likely to sign pat mustard...with a broken back.

Shít happens :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We'll have to be up very early in the morning to sign him, because he is a very careful man lads, A VERY CAREFUL MAN.

I've heard that he's great at putting it into the box....

CatInABox wrote: »
    I've heard that he's great at putting it into the box....

This fella comes with rave reviews. He fought in Vietnam and taught Elvis how to play Karate

Basil3 wrote: »
    When/where did Ornstein say this?

nm....just saw the facebook thing.

Still haven't seen anything official on this, don't think he tweeted anything like that anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement