Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Pre season last year was great.

Groundhog Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Same old same old from Arsene in his press conference after the game. We are still looking to strengthen at the front and the back and if the right opportunity comes along we will be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

j14 wrote: »
    Same old same old from Arsene in his press conference after the game. We are still looking to strengthen at the front and the back and if the right opportunity comes along we will be ready.

guarantee the right opportunity ( and they'res been plenty) will be deadline day with minutes to go is what he really means :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Twitterati claim that Griezmann is the big target and Lacazette is the back-up.

If Lukaku moves to Chelsea and then Costa to Athletico it could happen. Certainly not holding my breath.

Just hope we don't miss out on Lacazette through holding out for Griezmann.

Pudders wrote: »
    Pre season last year was great.

Groundhog Day.

Yeah, as opposed to the year before, which was poor.

Here's hoping the boys get a hammering from city on Sunday.... right?

greendom wrote: »

If Lukaku moves to Chelsea and then Costa to Athletico it could happen. Certainly not holding my breath.

Torres, more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Basil3 wrote: »
    Torres, more likely.

I'd bleedin take him, to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Torres, more likely.

It is all pretty much nonsense so it is as likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

greendom wrote: »

Yeah i heard that rumour last week, coming from some Italian reporter. About as likely as the Suarez transfer.

At least some of the younger players look promising, and the central midfield area that was shocking for most of last season looks it's got serious depth now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Take it from an ITK our main target is James Rodriguez

• Advertisement

ITK we have alot of targets but yet none to put pen to paper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Quazzie wrote: »
    Take it from an ITK our main target is James Rodriguez

Had you of said James Beattie I'd have believed it more!

Greizman the ****e they type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'm genuinely lol that griezmann would even consider joining arsenal.

Haha the fools the fools:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

We started Walcott up front...I don't even know anymore.

But didn't he say on Wednesday that he wanted to play on the......... oh never mind.

Too early for a predictions for next weekend??

A score draw for me.

I just want September 1st to come already. I'm sick of this absolute shít year on year :(

If Wenger doesnt sign anyone then at least go to option B put the faith in youth for a change. If your not going to buy anyone then at the very least give Akpom a go. What is this high standard that a youth must have to make it at Arsenal exactly? :confused:

We havent exactly a vast choice of top class finishers in the senior ranks and less now that welbeck is out. Walcott is stone useless. There is something radically wrong with our youth team if the attacking graduates are not as good as him. Either that or the managers perception is skewed. Knowing Wenger, we'll get no striker and Akpom will probably be loaned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Griezmann ... Pah ha ha.

This is where our slowly slowly approach comes back to bite us.

La Liga, couple of CL finals, Euro golden boot.

We are not big enough to attract a player like that. We haven't made ourselves big enough.

Now a CF over the last couple of years and one of the last two league titles which were both really up for grabs and it might have been a different story.

But as things stand, he's too big for us.

Although if it were to somehow ridiculously happen, I'd forgive Le Boss the mistakes he's made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Since we have now descended as usual to Bs mumblings with no sources and even less hope or likelihood, I reckon we are going for Muller and Lewandowski as a backup.

Actually possibly both, Muller to play on the right, Lewandowski through the centre.

Complete and utter ****in disgrace a week before kick off.

Yeah. Unless he pulls something rediculous out of the bag, it's bordering on unbelievable.

It would be classic Wenger though. Trolling us all the way to the end and then going into the new season with Giroud and Akpom as backup.

Look, if he does it, then fair play to him for sticking to his guns. I'll get behind the team and manager and wish him well in his final season.

But I'll be glad it's his final one.

• Advertisement

There's no denying not signing what we need at this point is disappointing.

If he doesn't deliver the names over the next few weeks then the fans should turn on the board and force them out, they are the problem.

I don't know whether I'm less bothered because I'm older or less bothered because I've realised we are the only team globally were it feels like you are supporting a business and not a sport

It will eventually change but God knows when it will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Well if other teams' fans dont realise they are supporting primarily a business they ain't too bright

No owner is in it for the love of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Soups123 wrote: »
    There's no denying not signing what we need at this point is disappointing.

If he doesn't deliver the names over the next few weeks then the fans should turn on the board and force them out, they are the problem.

I don't know whether I'm less bothered because I'm older or less bothered because I've realised we are the only team globally were it feels like you are supporting a business and not a sport

It will eventually change but God knows when it will happen
    Nothing will change until we get rid of Wenger.

The funny thing is that even though I really want Wenger gone from the club, I have come to the realisation that we will definitely be worse after he is gone, because no matter who takes over, they won't get any success with the level of support the board provides.

We're fúcked with Wenger, but we're even more fúcked without him. I hate that more than anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

mansize wrote: »
    Well if other teams' fans dont realise they are supporting primarily a business they ain't too bright

Abrahmovic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

emmetlego wrote: »
    Abrahmovic?

No

What are you watching, very few clubs are self sufficient, the new money men are in it for the sport to meet there egotistical needs

Look at the Prem alone city, United, Chelsea all put onfield success first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Soups123 wrote: »
    What are you watching, very few clubs are self sufficient, the new money men are in it for the sport to meet there egotistical needs

Look at the Prem alone city, United, Chelsea all put onfield success first

Football clubs are the new Pyramids and their owners are the new Kings

This whole Football is a business where owners profit is codswallop. Very few clubs make enough money to justify owning a club to be a moneypit.

There is no money in owning a football club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Starting Walcott or Akpom up front and Chambers or Holding as centre back in the first game of the season against a title-contender. We must be the laughing stock of the Premier League at the moment. One week to sign and integrate players into the team. Can't see that happening. It's ironic how Wenger says he wishes the transfer window to end before the start of the season but waits until the very end to do business.

It's ironic how Wenger says he wishes the transfer window to end before the start of the season but waits until the very end to do business.

That's exactly why he says it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mr.H wrote: »
    Football clubs are the new Pyramids and their owners are the new Kings

This whole Football is a business where owners profit is codswallop. Very few clubs make enough money to justify owning a club to be a moneypit.

There is no money in owning a football club
    10 years ago maybe. There is now. Didn't something like 17 of the 20 PL clubs make a profit last season?

Manchester United are very much self sustaining Soups. They pretty much all are at this point.

AdamD wrote: »
    10 years ago maybe. There is now. Didn't something like 17 of the 20 PL clubs make a profit last season?

Manchester United are very much self sustaining Soups. They pretty much all are at this point.

Man U are a beast they don't run just for business they run to be successful on the field, they know success breeds money.

We are afraid to spend it encase it doesn't bring success

• Advertisement

No

I read an article may have been on the guardian that he was doing it to become a high profile figure in western society to lessen his chances of assasination, not sure how true any of it was but certainly interesting.

How many players will still be "resting" from the Euros next week? Isn't that a thing? That some players will be getting another 2 weeks off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

How many players will still be "resting" from the Euros next week? Isn't that a thing? That some players will be getting another 2 weeks off?

Kos, Ozil, Giroud and maybe Ramsey

Starting Walcott or Akpom up front and Chambers or Holding as centre back in the first game of the season against a title-contender. We must be the laughing stock of the Premier League at the moment. One week to sign and integrate players into the team. Can't see that happening. It's ironic how Wenger says he wishes the transfer window to end before the start of the season but waits until the very end to do business.

I can't believe this post. So totally inaccurate.

No way are Liverpool title-contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

AdamD wrote: »

This is the finances released back in May (these are for the 2014-15 season. It is always released a year late. So 15/16 season wont be released until next year).

These are profits made (before tax)

Liverpool - £60m
    Newcastle - £36m
    Burnley - £35m
    Leicester City - £26m
    Arsenal - £25m
    Southampton - £15m
    Hull City - £12m
    Totenham - £12m
    Man City - £10m
    Crystal Palace - £8m
    Stoke - £6m
    West Brom - £4m
    West Ham - £3m
    Swansea - £2m

Aside from the top 5 in the list noone has made what you would classify a significant profit which could justify investment.

I am unsure about these figures but they where released by https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

The accuracy of the figures is unimportant as the point is purely, if you wanted to make a money as a business man there is far more lucrative and less guess work in other industries.

Football is far too unpredictable to invest with the thinking of making a sizeable income.

It is far more likely that a business person would add a football club to their portfolio (making little profit, with the aim to have the club be self sustaining) to help their other business flourish on reputation of association

*interesting that Man United with all their income made a loss that season....................... and are continuing to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wenger knows how important a good start is, as he said himself:

“There are plenty of clubs with big ambition. At the moment there are many big managers and many big clubs. It raises the ambition and the hope everywhere, but only one will win it. We just have to make sure it is us.

We’ve got a difficult start against Liverpool, then it’s Leicester straight away, then to Watford. In the first three games we have to make sure that we are ready.”

9 points from those 3 games and it's a flying start, especially with 2 hard games out of the way & senior players returning. Have a little faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2%2BArsenal%2BCash%2BLeague%2BInterim.jpg

https://twitter.com/MattiasKaren/status/761936730064822277

https://twitter.com/MattiasKaren/status/761936957429669888

Guess it doesn't seem likely that Theo is going anywhere. Also strange that Theo came out recently saying he's happy to play on the wing (didn't he?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wish Theo would just **** off at this stage. A coward and a fraud doesn't deserve the arsenal Jersey and Wenger is worse saying ****e like that. Get out of the club and give akpom and Campbell a chance. Wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

gosplan wrote: »
    I can't believe this post. So totally inaccurate.

No way are Liverpool title-contenders.

Okay they're outside contenders! :P Liverpool matched us in our two games last season against them. They're squad of fit players is stronger than it was when we played them last season than that of ours. I'd be more tempted to bet on Liverpool to get the three points over us.

• Advertisement

I wish Theo would just **** off at this stage. A coward and a fraud doesn't deserve the arsenal Jersey and Wenger is worse saying ****e like that. Get out of the club and give akpom and Campbell a chance. Wanker.

You ok, man? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Just saw something on the arseblog about Wenger thinking over Sanchez or Walcott up front for the first game.

Its interesting, Sanchez didnt really get a huge chance at Centre Forward, and really, he's got everything and more then some of the players we are being linked with. Pacy, skillful, great finisher, great header of the ball. Now that we are having issues with who to play on which wing (although reinforcement would be nice), how do we think he would fair if it was a permanent role?

Pretty nice lineup of

Sanchez
    Cazorla Ozil Ramsey

Sanchez
    Iwobi Ozil Cambell

Sanchez
    Iwobi Ozil Ramsey

Id like to see something like these before I see Walcott anywhere near the front line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Just saw something on the arseblog about Wenger thinking over Sanchez or Walcott up front for the first game.

Its interesting, Sanchez didnt really get a huge chance at Centre Forward, and really, he's got everything and more then some of the players we are being linked with. Pacy, skillful, great finisher, great header of the ball. Now that we are having issues with who to play on which wing (although reinforcement would be nice), how do we think he would fair if it was a permanent role?

Pretty nice lineup of

Sanchez
    Cazorla Ozil Ramsey

Sanchez
    Iwobi Ozil Cambell

Sanchez
    Iwobi Ozil Ramsey

Id like to see something like these before I see Walcott anywhere near the front line.

Not sure Alexis is cut out to play the lone striker role, he plays alongside Vargas for Chile as a supporting striker.

In saying that I remember Sanchez playing up front for us in his first 2 games and he scored a goal in each game, not sure why he wasn't at least given more of a chance up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He also said a signing before the Liverpool game won't happen and we'll likely go to the end of the window. "I like Walcott in that position ".

Just piss off you sham.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He also said a signing before the Liverpool game won't happen and we'll likely go to the end of the window. "I like Walcott in that position ".

Just piss off you sham.

Would be pretty funny if we beat Liverpool with Theo up top, right after they hammer Barca 4-0.

just seen liverpool bet barca 4-0 :o

if theo scores against them he'll think hes a god :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Would be pretty funny if we beat Liverpool with Theo up top, right after they hammer Barca 4-0.

You know it's going to be their season now:D:D:D:D:D

It never fails to amuse me the optimism that Spurs and Liverpool fans bring up until Christmas. When it lasts into April it prolongs the laugh.

On the other hand, we are all doom and gloom no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Icardi agent supposed to be heading to London;

https://mobile.twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/762033039606067200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Godge wrote: »
    It never fails to amuse me the optimism that Spurs and Liverpool fans bring up until Christmas. When it lasts into April it prolongs the laugh.

Ah stop now, if we win our first three games we'll all be the same here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Icardi agent supposed to be heading to London;

https://mobile.twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/762033039606067200

That story refers to an 'Arsenal transfer news and rumours on Friday' story yesterday which rounds up various rumours. The original story is from Calciomercato.

If Icardi goes anywhere, Napoli will outbid us. I think it's Lacazette or bust, and he picked up a hip injury tonight against PSG, so we'll see if that's still an option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement