Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Walcott at CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Did the boss give an interview yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Did the boss give an interview yet?

"We're short in defence at the moment."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger on centre-back injuries ahead of Liverpool: "We might be short for next week."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It's an ankle sprain, not his Achilles, according to Wenger. That's a relief!

• Advertisement

So it's looking like:

Hector Chambers Nacho Gibbs

for Liverpool then.

We'll need Theo on form to dig us out of a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

So it's looking like:

Hector Chambers Nacho Gibbs

for Liverpool then.

We'll need Theo on form to dig us out of a hole.

Was just thinking, maybe Debuchy could play centre back and keep Nacho at left back? It's not ideal, but I'd rather that than the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »

He said it looks like an ankle sprain. Seemed a lot worse to me

Was just thinking, maybe Debuchy could play centre back and keep Nacho at left back? It's not ideal, but I'd rather that than the above.

He played there early on when he joined first but it must be coming on 22 months since he put in a display that was in any way decent.

Not sure if i'd chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The guy was crying. Seemed far worse to me.

Arsenals so called sustainable approach has us fcuked a week before the seasons opening game.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    The guy was crying. Seemed far worse to me.

Arsenals so called sustainable approach has us fcuked a week before the seasons opening game.

Take your 3 main CB's out of any side and look at what you're left with. Admittedly, this is partly Wengers doing for not acting quickly enough after Mert, but we would still be in a spot of bother regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He'll be raging that he has to spend money now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Debuchy going to Galatasary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ankle sprain hmm. So probably not broken anyway but the man was in tears, seems more than a sprain. Wouldn't be surprised if it's torn ligaments an absolute bastard of a thing.

Ankle sprain hmm. So probably not broken anyway but the man was in tears, seems more than a sprain. Wouldn't be surprised if it's torn ligaments an absolute bastard of a thing.

True. I doubt it's the achilles though. I've done that years ago, and it's actually not that sore. I'd say it's a bad sprain, a scan will tell the truth though. And even if it is a fracture, Wenger is not going to publicise that while he's in the market for a CB now is he? That would be madness. Immediately adding 15 million onto the price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whether he publicises or not a blind man would see that was a serious injury to Gabriel, any cb coming in now more than likely has a few quid added on.

In better news Serge scored another couple of goals tonight for the German Olympic team. Be nice if he could make a real impact this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I really don't understand at all how some people in here can still defend our transfer policy. It's clear as day we are incompetent at any kind of transfer activity.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I really don't understand at all how some people in here can still defend our transfer policy. It's clear as day we are incompetent at any kind of transfer activity.

Who is defending the transfer policy? Who here doesn't think we should have signed a striker and defender well before the season starts?

I could take you more seriously if you didn't have to resort to hyperbole to make a point. One example of a transfer done early, efficiently and for a sizeable sum was running around on the pitch today. (Actually there was a lot more than one, but one in particular that came in this season.)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Basil3 wrote: »

Who is defending the transfer policy? Who here doesn't think we should have signed a striker and defender well before the season starts?

I could take you more seriously if you didn't have to resort to hyperbole to make a point. One example of a transfer done early, efficiently and for a sizeable sum was running around on the pitch today. (Actually there was a lot more than one, but one in particular that came in this season.)
    In a position that wasn't as big a problem.

We needed a cb before merts injury. It then was absolute priority. Yet wenger dithers. And now we are f@&cked at CB. We'll get rode on price when he could have had a purchase done weeks ago. Which means we won't buy a forward as the boards budget won't allow it.

Shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Pudders wrote: »

We needed a cb before merts injury. It then was absolute priority. Yet wenger dithers. And now we are f@&cked at CB. We'll get rode on price when he could have had a purchase done weeks ago. Which means we won't buy a forward as the boards budget won't allow it.

Shambles.

Total in agreement here..

Whoever still thinks Wenge's transfer policy is working is in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Shambles.

Prices were inflated before Gabriel's injury.

I doubt there is a memo doing rounds all over the world about raising their defenders prices, just because Gabriel is not fit.

Seriously, we need to make the team stronger, but spending 50m or 100m for the sake of it is not the answer.

I expect Koscielny to be back from his holidays to fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

wonski wrote: »
    Prices were inflated before Gabriel's injury.

I doubt there is a memo doing rounds all over the world about raising their defenders prices, just because Gabriel is not fit.

Seriously, we need to make the team stronger, but spending 50m or 100m for the sake of it is not the answer.

I expect Koscielny to be back from his holidays to fill the gap.

Who fills the other gap is the problem

Theo Walcott still at the club is scandalous. Tied down to a long term contract now because A) No one wants his 'effort' for the money he is on and B) We handsomely reward mediocrity just as we did with the likes of Almunia and Bendtner sitting on their contracts for years :mad:

Stuck with that bloody Chamberlain and Gibbs too :mad: Welcome to Arsenal, where mediocrity will be rewarded. Just look at our manager talking about value despite being on £8m a year and it costing £64 for an average ticket to attend a match

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has backed Theo Walcott to enjoy a "great" 2016-17 campaign.

Walcott was on the scoresheet as Arsenal beat Manchester City 3-2 in their final pre-season match this afternoon, and Wenger believes that his reaction to being left out of England's Euro 2016 squad is a sign that a positive season awaits.

"I've said many times that we will get a strong season from Theo Walcott because he got hit hard and I saw how he responded," he told Arsenal Player.

"He went through a very tough time not being at the Euros with England, and I I observed him, saw how he responded and I am convinced that he will have a great season. We had a good combination with him on the right and Alexis [Sanchez] up front."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has backed Theo Walcott to enjoy a "great" 2016-17 campaign.

Walcott was on the scoresheet as Arsenal beat Manchester City 3-2 in their final pre-season match this afternoon, and Wenger believes that his reaction to being left out of England's Euro 2016 squad is a sign that a positive season awaits.

"I've said many times that we will get a strong season from Theo Walcott because he got hit hard and I saw how he responded," he told Arsenal Player.

"He went through a very tough time not being at the Euros with England, and I I observed him, saw how he responded and I am convinced that he will have a great season. We had a good combination with him on the right and Alexis [Sanchez] up front."

His time to respond was when we were two points off Leicester after beating them at the Emirates last season. He was beyond shíte for the remainder of the season and that is before i mention his farcical non-existant display at Old trafford. He is ten years at the club and when needed to step up to the plate he stayed in his shell as per usual. He can fúck right off with himself and the sooner the better. :mad:

Theo Walcott still at the club is scandalous. Tied down to a long term contract now because A) No one wants his 'effort' for the money he is on and B) We handsomely reward mediocrity just as we did with the likes of Almunia and Bendtner sitting on their contracts for years :mad:

Stuck with that bloody Chamberlain and Gibbs too :mad: Welcome to Arsenal, where mediocrity will be rewarded. Just look at our manager talking about value despite being on £8m a year and it costing £64 for an average ticket to attend a match

*looks at tipp_Gunner's diary*

8th August:

Have random rant about Theo Walcott. Throw in a couple of other English players for good measure. Don't forget to have a moan about managers wages and cost of tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Rage

Anger

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Where will we finish this season?
    (I was right last year with 2nd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

mansize wrote: »
    Where will we finish this season?
    (I was right last year with 2nd)

4th, behind Spurs.

3rd
    POTS: Ozil
    Flop: Wilshere
    Surprise/Most Improved: Ramsey

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

mansize wrote: »
    3rd
    POTS: Ozil
    Flop: Wilshere
    Surprise/Most Improved: Ramsey
    Would think 4th but fear for 5th.
    Ozil player of season in what could be his last season.
    Wilshere will be injured too long to be a flop.
    Most improved will be Theo but then again he could hardly be worse this season?

Would think 4th but fear for 5th.
    Ozil player of season in what could be his last season.
    Wilshere will be injured too long to be a flop.
    Most improved will be Theo but then again he could hardly be worse this season?

Theo won't improve to the level Aaron will, I think Euro 16 will have crowned him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Our transfer policy is akin to having a car with serious engine problems and going to a mechanic and getting new window wipers. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Our transfer policy is akin to having a car with serious engine problems and going to a mechanic and getting new window wipers. Absolute joke.

And then offering the mechanic €5 when they cost €10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And all the while the kids in the back seat giving out cause their mate's da just bought a new BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh as a long suffering fan I'm scratching my head again at how bad we appear to be at transfers. Its soul destroying to know we are a few players away from a really quality team and one person either doesn't see it or is too miserly to push the boat out financially to get the players. Until Wenger is gone this won't change. Its going to be another frustrating season.

I dont see how he possibly figured he was going to the Euros anyway? He had a truly awful couple of months and never played himself into contention at all. There were a few English players like Drinkwater who could consider themselves unlucky but not Theo, Wenger gave him every opportunity but Walcott didnt give Hodgson any reason to bring him

gandalf wrote: »
    Tbh as a long suffering fan I'm scratching my head again at how bad we appear to be at transfers. Its soul destroying to know we are a few players away from a really quality team and one person either doesn't see it or is too miserly to push the boat out financially to get the players. Until Wenger is gone this won't change. Its going to be another frustrating season.

We have been 2 player's short of a title winning team for years.

Denilson rings a bell as does Almunia and jenkinson to name a few , how many years is this going on?

Sick of it.

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont see how he possibly figured he was going to the Euros anyway? He had a truly awful couple of months and never played himself into contention at all. There were a few English players like Drinkwater who could consider themselves unlucky but not Theo, Wenger gave him every opportunity but Walcott didnt give Hodgson any reason to bring him

Yes he had a truly awful end to the season and looked just as poor in the first few pre-season games.

If his appearance yesterday is anything to go by he seems to have got his mojo back. Be great if he has.

I wouldnt be getting too carried away with yesterday, he took his goal very well and set up the first but we'll need to see an awful lot more to think he's anywhere near getting back to being good enough.
    On another note, Akpom finished top scorer on the preseason tour with 4 goals, wonder would he be able to make the step up like Bellerin and Iwobi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

JustTheOne wrote: »
    We have been 2 player's short of a title winning team for years.

Denilson rings a bell as does Almunia and jenkinson to name a few , how many years is this going on?

Sick of it.

Yep it's like watching a football version of Groundhog day! And I ****in hate that film.....

Who is defending it?? I haven't seen anyone defend it. A rant for the sake of it maybe?

wonga77 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be getting too carried away with yesterday, he took his goal very well and set up the first but we'll need to see an awful lot more to think he's anywhere near getting back to being good enough.
    On another note, Akpom finished top scorer on the preseason tour with 4 goals, wonder would he be able to make the step up like Bellerin and Iwobi?
    True about Walcott, he has plenty to prove but I was beginning to feel he was finished as a player. I think he's a real confidence player and I really hope the crowd doesn't get on his back and allows him to flourish.

Who is defending it?? I haven't seen anyone defend it. A rant for the sake of it maybe?

People have expressed their opinions here weeks ago saying it looks like another repeat of previous windows and have been told united haven't signed pogba yet so their been dramatic.

Everyone needs to be outraged and give out and rant like mad on. The Internet, it just the times I'm afraid

Our dealings have been a shambles alright, still think we will all be happy Come deadline day (not all we could sign Messi and some on here would still give out)

I like to forget about it and look at the positives as I'm gonna support the lads next year regardless

And the positive me for me is elneny, I'm growing a Ramsey like crush on him already :)

JustTheOne wrote: »
    People have expressed their opinions here weeks ago saying it looks like another repeat of previous windows and have been told united haven't signed pogba yet so their been dramatic.

Yeah I still get a chuckle from that one.

"Its ok that we're going into yet another season completely unprepared and short up front and at the back, because Pogba."

Everyone needs to be outraged and give out and rant like mad on. The Internet, it just the times I'm afraid

Our dealings have been a shambles alright, still think we will all be happy Come deadline day (not all we could sign Messi and some on here would still give out)

I like to forget about it and look at the positives as I'm gonna support the lads next year regardless

And the positive me for me is elneny, I'm growing a Ramsey like crush on him already :)

But you've summed the problem up. Deadline day is September 1st. The season starts on August 14th. Is it really too much to expect the bulk of our business to be completed when the season starts? And then perhaps we can go with Wenger's lazy philosophy of waiting for something to fall into our laps on deadline day (a la Ozil). People are sick of us being 1 or 2 players short at the start of the season. Was 2011 not enough of a shambles to convince people that a wait and see approach is farcical?

keano_afc wrote: »

But you've summed the problem up. Deadline day is September 1st. The season starts on August 14th. Is it really too much to expect the bulk of our business to be completed when the season starts? And then perhaps we can go with Wenger's lazy philosophy of waiting for something to fall into our laps on deadline day (a la Ozil). People are sick of us being 1 or 2 players short at the start of the season. Was 2011 not enough of a shambles to convince people that a wait and see approach is farcical?

Think you missed the earlier part of my post where I said its still a shambles

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement