Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I find when things get bad that work and family take my mind off arsenal...but surely it should be the other way round!!

Anyway, this season I'm looking forward to seeing Bellerin, Iwobi and Akpom develop further and I'm hoping theo hits form. We have a lot to enjoy and who knows; we might even be pleasantly surprised if we can stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm really looking forward to the season now, seeing us play the last week or two really helps but my god, Wenger doesn't make it easy for us fans. I'll watch and support the team as always but if our manager could just address the massive issues at CB and CF by signing a competent player for each position that would really really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

JustTheOne wrote: »
    People have expressed their opinions here weeks ago saying it looks like another repeat of previous windows and have been told united haven't signed pogba yet so their been dramatic.

That may be, but I said I hadn't seen anyone defending it, I stand over that. In fact it's been quite the opposite from what I read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »
    That may be, but I said I hadn't seen anyone defending it, I stand over that. In fact it's been quite the opposite from what I read

Personally I think you have to wait until the end of the window to pass judgement. Yes you want to have players incorporated into the squad before the season starts, but the market only really starts to move in the last 2 weeks. Really the window should shut before the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

emmetlego wrote: »

A lot of people will see the constant - We will buy a striker, Its not ideal but...., loads of time yet, etc etc as defending the transfer dealings. More so because as mentioned this morning its all a bit like groundhog day and alot of fans have lost faith cause we are in this position every year.
    Im not so bothered anymore, my local area has had several tragedies in the last few weeks and it really puts things in perspective. At the end of a day tis only a game and apart from bragging rights it doesnt/shouldnt affect our lives as much as we think

greendom wrote: »
    Personally I think you have to wait until the end of the window to pass judgement. Yes you want to have players incorporated into the squad before the season starts, but the market only really starts to move in the last 2 weeks. Really the window should shut before the start of the season.

Come on man, the market may only start to move for Arsenal in the last week or two but most teams get things done early, look at everything that's already happened this year. Big teams put deals in place sometimes a year or two before the player actually joins because they realise they need an improvement they identify a target and they do everything they can within their limit to get that target. We don't do this no matter how much people want to believe we do, we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the market only really starts to move in the last 2 weeks.

Close to 500,000,000 has be spent in EPL this transfer window. The market is well and truly open its just our managers dithering that's costing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Arsene apologist. There's been half a billion spent so far. United, city, Liverpool, chelsea have the business done bar one or two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

We are the ultimate goldilocks club when it comes to transfers. Everything has to be just right for it to happen. Where other clubs are proactive and just go and get what they need, our untouchable leader waits for things to fall into his lap. I would love to see what changes a proactive and hungry manager could bring to the club, because its stale from the top down

• Advertisement

Come on man, the market may only start to move for Arsenal in the last week or two but most teams get things done early, look at everything that's already happened this year. Big teams put deals in place sometimes a year or two before the player actually joins because they realise they need an improvement they identify a target and they do everything they can within their limit to get that target. We don't do this no matter how much people want to believe we do, we don't.

It is frustrating to see some clubs get their business done early although there are plenty of others who are still in need of strengthening.

We often seem to be in that second category though so I do understand the annoyance.

I'm not defending Wenger at all, I know we need a WC striker and a CB and even a RW, and we need them now... But the reason the other teams have all spent so much, is that they have new managers in place and they are building their team. Not that this has anything to do with us not spending. I had hoped that we would have got Mustafi by now, and a striker, but whatever is going on is f*****g frustrating as a supporter! I think we still may get them in, and maybe a last minute solution to the RW problem... But it's about 2 weeks to late as the season starts next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have no problem if Wenger is waiting because he wants to secure some particular targets and he's worried about someone like Chelsea or PSG coming in for them.

I don't think that approach would apply so much to a defender though.

Or he's waiting for a player to become free at Madrid or PSG or someone.

Like Wenger wanted Xhaka, Chambers, Holding, Sanchez, Higuain, Suarez, Cech, Debuchy.

He made moves for all of them early on.

You can only assume that he's not that keen on the available striking options and he's hoping an Ozil-type opportunity materialises.

Fair enough if we end up with a better player, that's worth a couple of matches without.

But he better have a backup plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsene apologist. There's been half a billion spent so far. United, city, Liverpool, chelsea have the business done bar one or two more.

Not apologising for anyone, this has been a poor window so far. But I'd still take Xhaka over all of Liverpool's signings and Chelsea have massive holes in their squad at the back. City still don't have full backs either. I don't think you can plan for having your first 3 CBs out either, how many should we have in the squad?!

I can't excuse the striker situation at all but at CB its a bit of a freak incident. What teams have strong 4th and 5th choice CBs? None.

AdamD wrote: »
    Not apologising for anyone, this has been a poor window so far. But I'd still take Xhaka over all of Liverpool's signings and Chelsea have massive holes in their squad at the back. City still don't have full backs either. I don't think you can plan for having your first 3 CBs out either, how many should we have in the squad?!

I can't excuse the striker situation at all but at CB its a bit of a freak incident. What teams have strong 4th and 5th choice CBs? None.

Chelsea or City having problems is irrelevant to us? We all knew we needed another CB 3 months ago it's not a freak accident or situation we've all been calling for one and low and behold season starts and we still haven't got one.

The problem isn't missing our first choices it's who the first choices are, out of the 3 only 1 is good enough. Out of the back ups, nobody is good enough YET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

rumours gabriel may be out for 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chelsea or City having problems is irrelevant to us? We all knew we needed another CB 3 months ago it's not a freak accident or situation we've all been calling for one and low and behold season starts and we still haven't got one.

The problem isn't missing our first choices it's who the first choices are, out of the 3 only 1 is good enough. Out of the back ups, nobody is good enough YET.
    This thread. Come on, I'm replying to the idea every other club is nailing the transfer window except Arsenal, I was merely pointing out that's not even close to true.

AdamD wrote: »
    This thread. Come on, I'm replying to the idea every other club is nailing the transfer window except Arsenal, I was merely pointing out that's not even close to true.

Nobody said every club is nailing the transfer market. The only important thing is that we aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

According to Bild we're 'hot on the trail' of Lukas Klostermann, who's currently at the Olympics.

According to Bild we're 'hot on the trail' of Lukas Klostermann, who's currently at the Olympics.

Another youngster with "great potential" ?

• Advertisement

Not only that, but 'versatile' too.

Like Bellerin was?

I don't think the CB was an important issue 3 months ago, at least in the eyes of Wenger. He had Kos, Mert and Gab. Those are the 3 main players he had chosen to carry is through the bulk of the season. After that, it's a rotation of Holding, Chambers and Bielik. Nothing crazy about that.

I know you might argue that our current CB's aren't good enough, and that's fair enough. I think that Wenger thinks they are, though.

It only became a major issue after the injury of Mert.

Nasri & Van Persie are available and going cheap, if Mahrez & Lacazette don't work out should we let bygones be bygones and fill some holes in the squad?

Nasri & Van Persie are available and going cheap, if Mahrez & Lacazette don't work out should we let bygones be bygones and fill some holes in the squad?

Go wash your mouth out with soap!

Like Bellerin was?

Bellerin, Hayden, Miyaichi, Aneke, Sanogo, Denilson, Frimpong etc etc.

If your point was, look at how good Bellerin has been it's kind of mute when you think about how many top prospects we've invested in that turned out sh1te. While it is possible he'll be great it's a lot more likely that a proven world class talent would be better...

wawaman wrote: »
    rumours gabriel may be out for 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed

I'm sceptical about that diagnosis tbh as are others

https://twitter.com/Stillberto/status/762576581466390528

Lacazette is injured. You can assume we've signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'd take nasri but not the other twat

Was Sanogo on tour at all? I remember seeing pics of him training a week or two ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Really disappointed with our activity again.

That said looking back at the dealings of Spurs, Chelsea, United and Liverpool over the past few seasons would could argue that ours were better. Those teams all dropped out of the CL spots within the years.

I know and agree we need to make big signings but it definitely doesn't guarantee success it appease fans most of the time

I'm assuming at this stage that Lacazette and Mahrez can't be primary targets and at best are fall-back options in case nothing else works out.

Though with Rambo going back central, I'd very much doubt that we're in for a winger.

Bellerin, Hayden, Miyaichi, Aneke, Sanogo, Denilson, Frimpong etc etc.

If your point was, look at how good Bellerin has been it's kind of mute when you think about how many top prospects we've invested in that turned out sh1te. While it is possible he'll be great it's a lot more likely that a proven world class talent would be better...

prospects are very important for the future of the club though and just because they don't all work out (and that's the case for all clubs btw) that doesn't mean it should stop happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gosplan wrote: »
    Like Wenger wanted Xhaka, Chambers, Holding, Sanchez, Higuain, Suarez, Cech, Debuchy.

He made moves for all of them early on.

You can only assume that he's not that keen on the available striking options and he's hoping an Ozil-type opportunity materialises.

Fair enough if we end up with a better player, that's worth a couple of matches without.

But he better have a backup plan.

Hi there, my name is Chuba Akpom.

prospects are very important for the future of the club though and just because they don't all work out (and that's the case for all clubs btw) that doesn't mean it should stop happening.

I never said it should stop happening, I like our youth policy, the problem is what we need right now are WC proven players not youth prospects surely you can see that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

smilerf wrote: »
    I'd take nasri but not the other twat

Wouldn't want that guy any where near the team. Left us when we needed him, then got thrown out of the French squad, now getting thrown out of City, the chap is posion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Soups123 wrote: »
    Really disappointed with our activity again.

That said looking back at the dealings of Spurs, Chelsea, United and Liverpool over the past few seasons would could argue that ours were better. Those teams all dropped out of the CL spots within the years.

I know and agree we need to make big signings but it definitely doesn't guarantee success it appease fans most of the time

I think the point is we all know what wenger could bring if he signed the players.

I don't think the fans doubt his ability, it's his transfer dealings that's the problem.

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Wouldn't want that guy any where near the team. Left us when we needed him, then got thrown out of the French squad, now getting thrown out of City, the chap is posion

He was my favourite player when he was with us, be sick to my teeth if he ever put our jersey on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DeclanRe wrote: »

He may be poison, but he is talented poison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

He was my favourite player when he was with us, be sick to my teeth if he ever put our jersey on again.

While I hate him for various reasons, him leaving us isn't one.

The lack of ambition shown by the club for the last 10 years says it all.

Various players have cited this as the reason for leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Kirby wrote: »
    He may be poison, but he is talented poison.

Hardly warrants being brought back. Hasn't done much at all at City, is supposedly fat, and has massive attitude problems.

Wouldn't start for us these days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nas doesn't give a **** about nobody. That's what I like about him. I'd reckon he'd love to get back to the form he showed with us.

Giving out about him leaving us is pointless imo. It should be all about whether the player makes us better which I think he would.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm assuming at this stage that Lacazette and Mahrez can't be primary targets and at best are fall-back options in case nothing else works out.

Though with Rambo going back central, I'd very much doubt that we're in for a winger.

Yeah, it'll be a striker and a centre half. Or maybe a striker or a centre half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Any news on Gabrial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Any news on Gabrial?

3-4 weeks but take that with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

3-4 Arsenal weeks. So six months basically.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kirby wrote: »
    3-4 Arsenal weeks. So six months basically.

I always picture the Arsenal physio room like Shawshank prison but instead of everyone being innocent they're all going to be fit in three weeks. Wilshere is definitely Red since Diaby left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I always picture the Arsenal physio room like Shawshank prison but instead of everyone being innocent they're all going to be fit in three weeks. Wilshere is definitely Red since Diaby left.

Walcott has to be Brooks then, refuses to leave the prison without a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Mickeroo wrote: »

That's brilliant. :D

What do we expect the line up to be for Liverpool?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement