Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just back from the continent.
    I see we didn't sign anyone and still don't believe we will.

Who played well yesterday against City? Any new faces from the reserves/youths starring for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just back from the continent.
    I see we didn't sign anyone and still don't believe we will.

Who played well yesterday against City? Any new faces from the reserves/youths starring for us?

Nah, we will. One attacking, one defending.

People will go nuts about Mahrez but he's not a striker. We'll sign a striker.

gosplan wrote: »
    Nah, we will. One attacking, one defending.

People will go nuts about Mahrez but he's not a striker. We'll sign a striker.

Would love to believe that but i'm too long in the tooth to be taken in by Wenger anymore. We're a business first and foremost.

Would love to believe that but i'm too long in the tooth to be taken in by Wenger anymore. We're a business first and foremost.

Not buying at this point would be worse for business.

gosplan wrote: »
    Not buying at this point would be worse for business.

I think any business would have been done by now if we were serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

True, I'm not buying into all this talk of us trying behind the scenes. If Chelsea, City and UTD can get their targets. Arsenal can bloody well too if they put on a bit of pressure and show some ambition. Just feel it's Wenger's stubbornness at wanting to stick by these players once again and not wanting to pay over the price. Shame two top quality signings, one up front and one at the back and then I think this side can at least give it a go.

I'm dreading the Liverpool and Leicester games with what we have right now.

Arsne's stubborn and he's behind the times. He put's his ethos first.

But he's NOT stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its got to the stage that I am happy to see rumours we might be buying Johnny F*ckin Evans!

ronjo wrote: »
    Its got to the stage that I am happy to see rumours we might be buying Johnny F*ckin Evans!

Stones move to City might make a better option available.

I've been following the odds on Mahrez, just for a laugh.

At one stage, betting was suspended on him coming to Arsenal, now it's slipped out to 9/1.

The odds of him going to Chelsea were extremely short after the guy posted pics of him at a hotel yesterday....pretty funny the effect twitter can have on this type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

ronjo wrote: »

Tbh I'd rather buy no one than buy Johnny Evans, he isn't good enough for Arsenal and is a Man Utd reject, hugely underwhelming signing. I'd rather give Chambers the first team experience than sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

I wouldn't mind getting Evans if we got Mustafi too.
    Hopefully we get icardi too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I dont think Evens was ever particularly bad for Utd. Not a glamorous signing but eh just a boring one.

smilerf wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting Evans if we got Mustafi too.
    Hopefully we get icardi too

Yeah I wouldn't be as dismissive of Evans if we got Mustafi too, but there is no way IMO that we will be buying two centre backs. We will be lucky to get one in I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't even see the need for 2 CBs. Mustafi alone is fine.

Kosc, Mert, Gabriel, Mustafi, Chambers, Holding is a lot of CBs. If we sign 2 I reckon Wenger must feel Mertesacker's career is essentially over with this injury.

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't even see the need for 2 CBs. Mustafi alone is fine.

Kosc, Mert, Gabriel, Mustafi, Chambers, Holding is a lot of CBs. If we sign 2 I reckon Wenger must feel Mertesacker's career is essentially over with this injury.

A second one would only be a loan deal, if it even happens. We are without Mert for the first half of the season, and maybe Gabriel as well.

Stones pretty much gone to City according to Sky.

Stones pretty much gone to City according to Sky.

Yeah, apparently named in their Champion's League squad :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, apparently named in their Champion's League squad :D

City not giving a sh*t. I'm assuming they done that on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Off topic but all this #pogback nonsense is making me puke a little in my mouth.

• Advertisement

City not giving a sh*t. I'm assuming they done that on purpose.

Yeah they have Txiki Begiristain as their chief sporting director, (the whole Fabregas to Barcelona saga) so I wouldn't put it past them. Bit of a disgrace if they haven't agreed a transfer, but still went ahead with registering a player that they don't even own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You'd imagine the transfer is done but they didn't want to make such a major signing announcement at midnight on a monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Off topic but all this #pogback nonsense is making me puke a little in my mouth.

Best midfielder in the league me hoop

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Best midfielder in the league me hoop

You're just jealous! Apparently.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha, was just thinking that. Some sh*t about him walking out of shadow saying "I'm back!"

God Jesus I hope this falls on it's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mustafi training separately from rest of squad at Valencia, apparently. Get it done.

Mustafi training separately from rest of squad at Valencia, apparently. Get it done.

That's been getting reported for the past week or so, don't get excited.

That's been getting reported for the past week or so, don't get excited.

Dammit.

Sky Sports saying City willing to listen to offers for Mangala and Bony. Can't see us being interested but could do worse.

Dammit.

Sky Sports saying City willing to listen to offers for Mangala and Bony. Can't see us being interested but could do worse.

If Everton go for Bony then maybe we could snipe Lukaku. I'd love him at Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Dammit.

Mangala yes. Bony no way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If Everton go for Bony then maybe we could snipe Lukaku. I'd love him at Arsenal.

Chelsea haven't been able to sign Lukaku all summer, not sure Arsenal will do any better in that regard if they went in for him.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Chelsea haven't been able to sign Lukaku all summer, not sure Arsenal will do any better in that regard if they went in for him.

Didn't he say he'd only leave for CL football? Not sure how true all of that is but I reckon we'd fair better than Chelsea if that's the case.

Edit: here's the article

http://www.skysports.ie/football/news/11671/10218849/evertons-romelu-lukaku-wants-champions-league-football-next-season

Incredible few hours for transfers in English football. I can see it now:

Pogba...
    Stones...
    Jonny Evans...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't he say he'd only leave for CL football? Not sure how true all of that is but I reckon we'd fair better than Chelsea if that's the case.

Edit: here's the article http://www.skysports.ie/football/news/11671/10218849/evertons-romelu-lukaku-wants-champions-league-football-next-season

I was under the impression the issue was Chelsea don't want to pay 75m for him and Everton won't let him go for less. Read earlier they've supposedly turned to Icardi instead.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was under the impression the issue was Chelsea don't want to pay 75m for him and Everton won't let him go for less. Read earlier they've supposedly turned to Icardi instead.

Yeah it's hard to see us stumping up 75m as well I suppose. A man can dream though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH if I was a fan of that team I'd be embarrassed that they had to buy back a player who was obviously very skilful when he was let go and that's before you look at the supposed cost which is being quoted from £100 - £190 Million. Crazy money. Fingers crossed it's another Di Maria moment ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH if I was a fan of that team I'd be embarrassed that they had to buy back a player who was obviously very skilful when he was let go and that's before you look at the supposed cost which is being quoted from £100 - £190 Million. Crazy money. Fingers crossed it's another Di Maria moment ;)

Why embarrassed? As long as they can afford him, it's worth a punt. We can afford better than who we're being linked to.

Why embarrassed? As long as they can afford him, it's worth a punt. We can afford better than who we're being linked to.

Embarrassed because they let him go for nothing and now are buying him back for a kings ransom. Christ if Wenger pulled a stunt like that some around here would have a full scale meltdown :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

If Wenger bought the players UTD are buying we'd all have a meltdown cause we actually bought numerous world class players for once.

It's pathetic seeing people trying to find negatives in big teams buying world class players, they moan that we don't spend big to get big then they laugh at big clubs spending big to get big...

Embarrassed because they let him go for nothing and now are buying him back for a kings ransom. Christ if Wenger pulled a stunt like that some around here would have a full scale meltdown :)

They bought a world-class player without CL and will likely finish ahead of us. They've brought in four players who will slot right into their starting XI. I'm embarrassed for people feeling superior while we contemplate bidding for Jonny Evans.

• Advertisement

Like everyone else here I want us to sign the best players where we need them. At the moment that's CB and CF. However are you seriously saying that we should keep quiet when another club do something stupid like United have done. Personally I think the Pogba business is crazy, firstly because they let him go and secondly for the sum involved. I think the player is over-hyped and the world class attribute I see in him is in the realm of marketing.

I also see the rumours of us trying to sign Icardi using Giroud as a swap. That would be crazy as well. We need ANOTHER forward to work with Giroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The media would absolutely annihilate him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Like everyone else here I want us to sign the best players where we need them. At the moment that's CB and CF. However are you seriously saying that we should keep quiet when another club do something stupid like United have done. Personally I think the Pogba business is crazy, firstly because they let him go and secondly for the sum involved. I think the player is over-hyped and the world class attribute I see in him is in the realm of marketing.

I also see the rumours of us trying to sign Icardi using Giroud as a swap. That would be crazy as well. We need ANOTHER forward to work with Giroud.

I have no issue with people making fun of the fact they let him go and now have to buy him back I see the humour don't get me wrong, but it's with any big signing from any big PL club that everyone in here has a negative thing to say "He's not actually good" "they paid too much" "he won't fit in" "they aren't going to challenge anyway" whatever the case may be it just seems like it's all out of frustration because we never spend big we always look for "Value".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Eurosport are claiming that Mahrez has told Leicester that he would like to join Arsenal but he doesn't want to force through a move.

It's down to Arsenal to make a bid Leicester can't refuse if they really want it to happen. Can't see it myself. I think we're in a similar position with Lacazette.

If we have to force one of the players to move by making an offer that can't be refused it has to be Lacazette as the need for a centre forward is that much greater. Mahrez is more a very nice to have, Lacazette (or someone who plays in his position) is essential.

greendom wrote: »
    It's down to Arsenal to make a bid Leicester can't refuse if they really want it to happen.

Ah well. Fun while it lasted.

greendom wrote: »
    Mahrez is more a very nice to have, Lacazette (or someone who plays in his position) is essential.

Yep he would be a nice addition but only if we sort out the real areas of concern as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Stupid like buying a player that will probably help deliver a title or two in the coming seasons. I see Wenger's mentality is starting to filter down to the fans too. I reckon stupid is hardly signing anyone for almost 2 years and instead sticking with a team that was already not good enough to win the title, relying on injury prone players whilst all their competitors significantly upgrade both their players and management.

They bought a world-class player without CL and will likely finish ahead of us. They've brought in four players who will slot right into their starting XI. I'm embarrassed for people feeling superior while we contemplate bidding for Jonny Evans.

More embarrassing taking a title winning squad, spending 300 million over three years, and still having four starting spots up for grabs.

I'm not knocking Man U but you can't just take this summer in isolation and say 'oh look, what they're doing is great'. This is an appropriate reaction by the club to dropping down the premier league a bit.

Plus, while they look ominous, they've done nothing yet.

Stupid like buying a player that will probably help deliver a title or two in the coming seasons. I see Wenger's mentality is starting to filter down to the fans too. I reckon stupid is hardly signing anyone for almost 2 years and instead sticking with a team that was already not good enough to win the title, relying on injury prone players whilst all their competitors significantly upgrade both their players and management.

I get your point. On the other, in the last two years, we have improved our position in the Premier League table. Our competitors (for the most part) haven't.

That's not to say we don't need to sign top players. I trust that the club will make the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Basil3 wrote: »
    I get your point. On the other, in the last two years, we have improved our position in the Premier League table. Our competitors (for the most part) haven't.

That's not to say we don't need to sign top players. I trust that the club will make the right choice.

Ye have, although I think that is more to do with United going backwards the last few years and Chelsea's complete and utter meltdown last season than any good decision making on Wenger's part. Both United and Chelsea have taken action to correct that though, Wenger doesn't look like he's going to change. I'm actually quite frustrated for ye, ye've had the bones of a great squad for the last decade but Wenger just isn't ruthless enough to make the big purchases that will make the difference.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement