Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gosplan wrote: »
    More embarrassing taking a title winning squad, spending 300 million over three years, and still having four starting spots up for grabs.

I'm not knocking Man U but you can't just take this summer in isolation and say 'oh look, what they're doing is great'. This is an appropriate reaction by the club to dropping down the premier league a bit.

Plus, while they look ominous, they've done nothing yet.

It isn't even about Utd, it's about the rivals around us spending what they have to actively address their problem areas and bring in fresh faces. We lack the ambition to do the same even though literally nothing is holding us back - we have the money, CL football, an amazing location, and we have completely obvious problem areas with players that are available if we pay what we can afford.

Utd have brought in two world-class players without CL money. We're linked with Jonny Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Basil3 wrote: »
    I get your point. On the other, in the last two years, we have improved our position in the Premier League table. Our competitors (for the most part) haven't.

That's not to say we don't need to sign top players. I trust that the club will make the right choice.

We've actually gotten steadily worse. The position improved because others have gotten worser(if that's a word).

Chelsea collapsed and City and Utd under Pellegrini and LVG were never as good.

They've all reacted though. The other traditional three of the big four are throwing money at the problem and importantly going for the best possible managers. I fully expect that financial dominance will take place again.

We missed our chance to win a league with that Suarez/Higuain d1cking around. Should be much harder now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Basil3 wrote: »
    I get your point. On the other, in the last two years, we have improved our position in the Premier League table. Our competitors (for the most part) haven't.

That's not to say we don't need to sign top players. I trust that the club will make the right choice.

Yeah that's true alright, we have improved our position the last couple of years in the premier league, but it could have easily been so much more if Arsenal had been more aggressive and easily still living within their means.

I don't really care for anyone else in the league and what they're doing in the window. It's just hugely frustrating that we aren't doing the most to give ourselves the best shot. Obviously there is still time left in the window, but as it stands with the squad we have I think we will fall short. Get in another 2 or 3 players and we could go all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It isn't even about Utd, it's about the rivals around us spending what they have to actively address their problem areas and bring in fresh faces. We lack the ambition to do the same even though literally nothing is holding us back - we have the money, CL football, an amazing location, and we have completely obvious problem areas with players that are available if we pay what we can afford.

Utd have brought in two world-class players without CL money. We're linked with Jonny Evans.

It's OK to compare our spending with United and there is no doubt we should have been more active in the transfer market, but they are on a completely different level to us financially.

greendom wrote: »
    It's OK to compare our spending with United and there is no doubt we should have been more active in the transfer market, but they are on a completely different level to us financially.

I agree, but where are the gaping holes in our rivals' starting XIs this summer? Chelsea need a CB - that's about it. We have the wherewithal to get Mustafi and Lacazette across the line and be truly competitive, but I don't know if we have the will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Both Utd & City finished 5 points behind us last year and now they have appointed two of the most successful managers in modern football and have added big names to their squads and yet here we are looking at Johny Evans, unable to find a striker better than Giroud and still cant get a player to play right wing.

I suspect it wont be long till the fans revolt again just like they were doing towards the arse end of last season. Arsene lucked out with Spurs' collapse as the fans were just happy to finish above then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

United and Pogba aside as I have expressed on numerous occasions it is extremely frustrating watching Wenger fapp around and sign no one when it is obvious for the last number of seasons that a world class forward with our midfield would complete us offensively. We have the best offensive midfielder in the league in Ozil. Now with Xhaka and Elneny I believe with have a good foundation in midfield and then add in Ramsey (who I think is world class), Wilshire, Santi, the Ox and Walcott (who should be sold) our midfield is one of the strongest in the league. Before the injuries to the BFG and Gabriel we were ok at the back but now that needs to be addressed as well.

I thought that Higuain was the answer but obviously Arsene didn't and unless he pulls a last minute Lewandowski out of the hat I think we will all be disappointed or underwhelmed when Sanogo is recalled!!! But as a football fan I am allowed to dream until the transfer window closes and the results roll into crush my rose tinted hopes for the league :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

At least Ornstein's confirmed the interest in Mustafi, sometimes you just don't know with Arsene.

Tweeted:

"Arsenal CB Gabriel out 6/8wks - ankle sprain. Not quite as bad as he 1st feared but #AFC stepping up pursuit of Valencia's Shkodran Mustafi"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 13m13 minutes ago
    Arsenal CB Gabriel out 6/8wks - ankle sprain. Not quite as bad as he 1st feared but #AFC stepping up pursuit of Valencia's Shkodran Mustafi

Xhaka and Mustafi are good signings. Would still need a striker for it to be a great window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I haven't even seen much of Mustafi I'm just assuming he's extremely good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

He's excellent I think, but I've only seen him a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

AdamD wrote: »
    David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 13m13 minutes ago
    Arsenal CB Gabriel out 6/8wks - ankle sprain. Not quite as bad as he 1st feared but #AFC stepping up pursuit of Valencia's Shkodran Mustafi

Xhaka and Mustafi are good signings. Would still need a striker for it to be a great window

If we signed him weeks ago we wouldn't have this scramble of desperation we see now.

Yes desperation.

Ornstein's update very similar to Matt Law of the Telegraph's last night. What worries me is that Law mentioned we value Mustafi at £20m, while numerous reports in the last month mention Valencia valuing him at £24m.

Botton line is we need him in the team on Sunday and need to get the bid absolutely right.

Ornstein's update very similar to Matt Law of the Telegraph's last night. What worries me is that Law mentioned we value Mustafi at £20m, while numerous reports in the last month mention Valencia valuing him at £24m.

Botton line is we need him in the team on Sunday and need to get the bid absolutely right.

I read £30 mill, they could refuse unless we pay £40 because we've found ourselves in yet another situation where we NEED the player at the end of the window...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I read £30 mill, they could refuse unless we pay £40 because we've found ourselves in yet another situation where we NEED the player at the end of the window...

Apparently they're badly in need of cash, so it's possible they'll accept a lower bid that's paid all up front rather than in installments.

Similar to the Cazorla deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

JustTheOne wrote: »
    If we signed him weeks ago we wouldn't have this scramble of desperation we see now.

Yes desperation.

If we had signed him weeks ago he would probably be crocked by now.
    Maybe this is a clever ploy by Wenger?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The need to buy a CB and a striker did not arise this week.
    It arose a few years ago.
    We didn't fix it then and we won't fix it now either. Wenger has a habit of letting patched-up teams struggle on until players are recovered. It will be more of the same ...... unless someone cheap comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It took him 7 years to sort the goalkeeper situation alone so I don't hold out much hope that he'll get what we need in this window.

Off topic but i'd like to see a change in formation, something that focuses more on our depth of high quality midfielders and protects our defence better. What would ye think of a 4-5-1 with a holding midfielder?

Cech

Koscielny
    Mustafi*

Belerin
    Monreal---
    Xhaka

Ramsey
    Wilshere

Sanchez
    Ozil

Lacazette*

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Off topic but i'd like to see a change in formation, something that focuses more on our depth of high quality midfielders and protects our defence better. What would ye think of a 4-5-1 with a holding midfielder?

Cech

Koscielny
    Mustafi*

Belerin
    Monreal---
    Xhaka

Ramsey
    Wilshere

Sanchez
    Ozil

Lacazette*

I like the idea - but Ozil is wasted on the wing IMO

• Advertisement

DeclanRe wrote: »
    I like the idea - but Ozil is wasted on the wing IMO

I agree but perhaps it's worth trying, having to stick with the same formation because of one player may not always be the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Cech

Koscielny
    Mustafi*

Belerin
    Monreal---
    Xhaka

Ramsey
    Wilshere

Sanchez
    Ozil

Lacazette*

I'd say that Ozil is wasted out on the wing.

The right side also looks weak defensively as Bellerin likes to attack and Sanchez wouldnt exactly be trustworthy to hold position to provide cover.

I'd say that Ozil is wasted out on the wing.

The right side also looks weak defensively as Bellerin likes to attack and Sanchez wouldnt exactly be trustworthy to hold position to provide cover.

Again, agreed on Ozil. However Sanchez tracks back and more importantly Ramsey and/or Xhaka can come across to cover while still keeping our shape and numbers at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I dunno, I reckon Wenger will go big but is just waiting for the last minute so he can't be outdone. I'd even say that was his plan all along. Otherwise you end up in the usual scenario of the player in question ****ing us around waiting for his own club to make a better off e.g. Vardy or another club to come in and offer better terms.

I hope I'm right because we need players now as badly as we did when the window opened, at that doesn't even take into account the most recent injuries.

Again, agreed on Ozil. However Sanchez tracks back and more importantly Ramsey and/or Xhaka can come across to cover while still keeping our shape and numbers at the back.

I know that Sanchez tracks back. He isnt a player i would trust to cover across while Bellerin bombs forward, either is Ramsey id say and if you use Ramsey in that way you lose some of his best qualities.

But Xhaka would be able to drop back so perhaps it could work.

I know that Sanchez tracks back. He isnt a player i would trust to cover across while Bellerin bombs forward, either is Ramsey id say and if you use Ramsey in that way you lose some of his best qualities.

But Xhaka would be able to drop back so perhaps it could work.

Well what's the current situation? Walcott or Ox tracking back? Sanchez won't be any worse than those 2 and having the extra security from midfield makes it a better defensive formation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jaysus moves happening everywhere now! I want us to sign someone just for the interest!

The fee's paid for Stones and Pogba are ridiculous for what they do on the pitch, that said I'd take both in a heart beat.

You have to wonder when this will end football has to start retracting soon you would think.

Arsene spend our fcukin money :)

I'd be happy signing Stones for £50m we should have been after him 2 or 3 years ago probably could have gotten 20-30

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'd be happy signing Stones for £50m we should have been after him 2 or 3 years ago probably could have gotten 20-30

He may turn into a great CB but he is far from it now, he is positionally poor and error prone

He has potential but we have seen that in many English CBs without ever moving it on. It's a world class fee for a CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd be annoyed if we got Stones for 50m. He can't defend. Far better options than him in Europe, the likes of Manolas, Marquinhos etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Why didnt we sign Williams

Well what's the current situation? Walcott or Ox tracking back? Sanchez won't be any worse than those 2 and having the extra security from midfield makes it a better defensive formation IMO.

Wasn't Walcotts average position behind Bellerin last year, so he did quite a bit of defending. I just wouldnt trust those two players not to bomb forward along with Ramsey and then that leaves Xhaka with a lot of space to cover.

In relation to the current best 11 i'm not sure. I think you need Coquelin against the bigger teams and the teams that will counter attack. You dont need him against the rest.

Back 4 and keeper are the same as yours if you get Mustafi.

Against the bigger teams then coquelin sits in front of the defence with Ramsey and xhaka in front of him. Sanchez and iwobi out wide to break at pace with Ozil in the 10 role. Giroud up front to bring other into play.

Against the other teams id play cazorla and xhaka. with a front 4 of ramsey ozil sanchez and lacazette rotating.

I think the best thing about arsenal this year this year is there is a lot of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Wasn't Walcotts average position behind Bellerin last year, so he did quite a bit of defending. I just wouldnt trust those two players not to bomb forward along with Ramsey and then that leaves Xhaka with a lot of space to cover.

In relation to the current best 11 i'm not sure. I think you need Coquelin against the bigger teams and the teams that will counter attack. You dont need him against the rest.

Back 4 and keeper are the same as yours if you get Mustafi.

Against the bigger teams then coquelin sits in front of the defence with Ramsey and xhaka in front of him. Sanchez and iwobi out wide to break at pace with Ozil in the 10 role. Giroud up front to bring other into play.

Against the other teams id play cazorla and xhaka. with a front 4 of ramsey ozil sanchez and lacazette rotating.

I think the best thing about arsenal this year this year is there is a lot of options.

12 aside?

dibs101 wrote: »
    12 aside?

Yeah, the opposition will never see it coming.

Yeah, the opposition will never see it coming.

Is this the madness ?

greendom wrote: »
    Is this the madness ?

I was buying time while i rethink my team. I cant come up with a team that involves Ozil. Playing him on the left instead of Iwobi seems the option but he's wasted out left. And thats more or less the team Ken chose except with Coquelin instead of Wilshere

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heh, that's pretty much every player we're linked to for me outside of the PL. Never heard of Xhaka or Mustafi, I just assume they'll solve all our problems because they cost over 20m and everyone seems to like them. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Heh, that's pretty much every player we're linked to for me outside of the PL. Never heard of Xhaka or Mustafi, I just assume they'll solve all our problems because they cost over 20m and everyone seems to like them. :o

Or wenger usually gets it right with players when he actually does buy them.

Shame he doesn't do it more.

https://twitter.com/arseblog/status/763029569389654016

Haven't actually looked at the interview...probably should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Update on maherz

http://goo.gl/DqG5Kf

Update on maherz

http://goo.gl/DqG5Kf

We're probably looking for a striker, if that fails, throw the money at Mahrez to paper over the cracks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We're probably looking for a striker, if that fails, throw the money at Mahrez to paper over the cracks.

It would do more than paper over them if he repeated his form from last season imo but yeah, I would agree we still need to be signing a striker even if we got him.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It would do more than paper over them if he repeated his form from last season imo but yeah, I would agree we still need to be signing a striker even if we got him.

He'd be a fantastic signing no doubt, but it's yet another year gone by without a striker and it's beyond unacceptable at this stage.

Are we looking at maherz for wing and keeping Sanchez as our CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH if I was a fan of that team I'd be embarrassed that they had to buy back a player who was obviously very skilful when he was let go and that's before you look at the supposed cost which is being quoted from £100 - £190 Million. Crazy money. Fingers crossed it's another Di Maria moment ;)

So a few things here. They didn't let him go, his contract ran down, and he rejected a new contract. You could say he should have got more playing time, but they didn't decide to cut him from the team so to speak.

The fee is £89 million.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    So a few things here. They didn't let him go, his contract ran down, and he rejected a new contract. You could say he should have got more playing time, but they didn't decide to cut him from the team so to speak.

The fee is £89 million.

Well thanks for clearing that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

cant wait to see how pogba will fair against the likes of toure,kante,xhaka in midfield :D good player yeah but not worth the money :)

On another note are we actually going to sign anybody :D ??

Pogba is world class, why is everyone going on like he's Djemba Djemba? UTD with that manager and squad and no Cl football is scary for the league lads, I dislike them and him as much as the next Arsenal fan but these are going to challenge this year for sure.

Pogba is world class, why is everyone going on like he's Djemba Djemba? UTD with that manager and squad and no Cl football is scary for the league lads, I dislike them and him as much as the next Arsenal fan but these are going to challenge this year for sure.

he is a brilliant player and I would love him to be at Arsenal. He will bring real power to that midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well thanks for clearing that up

anytime-qexni4.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement