Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pogba is world class, why is everyone going on like he's Djemba Djemba? UTD with that manager and squad and no Cl football is scary for the league lads, I dislike them and him as much as the next Arsenal fan but these are going to challenge this year for sure.

He is a great player with huge potential and he'd improve most sides but he isn't world class he is nowhere near what a world class midfielder is. WC are the likes of Zidane, Iniesta, Veira etc he isn't at that level yet.

But I would fcukin love to sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Soups123 wrote: »
    He is a great player with huge potential and he'd improve most sides but he isn't world class he is nowhere near what a world class midfielder is. WC are the likes of Zidane, Iniesta, Veira etc he isn't at that level yet.

But I would fcukin love to sign him

WC is relevant to the world right now and right now there are no Zidanes or Veiras, Pogba is about as good as they come right now for his position.

WC is relevant to the world right now and right now there are no Zidanes or Veiras, Pogba is about as good as they come right now for his position.

Not really world class is a standard if you think the standard has dropped you don't lower it and now declare very good players as world class.

At the recent euro's he was not the best performing midfielder, last season he was not the best performing midfielder.

He doesn't influence enough games, or at least hasn't to date to be declared world class.

World class players can individually win games and control games, he doesn't yet do this anywhere near enough.

I am not saying he can't reach that level he is vey young in midfield terms United have bought him for what they believe he will become

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

So supposedly this #Madness that we are all waiting on is us to bid for Lewandowski. He's looking for a new contract at Munich but they are refusing to pay him the sky high wages that he's demanding. I really can't see us pulling this one off. Surely he would have his pick of clubs...if that's the case I don't see how we would get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

j14 wrote: »
    So supposedly this #Madness that we are all waiting on is us to bid for Lewandowski. He's looking for a new contract at Munich but they are refusing to pay him the sky high wages that he's demanding. I really can't see us pulling this one off. Surely he would have his pick of clubs...if that's the case I don't see how we would get him.

Whoever the 'madness' is (if it/he exists) the club would be pretty sure that the player wants to come or they wouldn't be putting all their eggs in that particular basket.

greendom wrote: »
    Whoever the 'madness' is (if it/he exists) the club would be pretty sure that the player wants to come or they wouldn't be putting all their eggs in that particular basket.

Sorry what's this madness thing you are talking about?

It's all over twitter. Rumours with no real substance that Arsenal are to make a really big purchase, expected to be a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kYtXZa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    It's all over twitter. Rumours with no real substance that Arsenal are to make a really big purchase, expected to be a forward.

A big drinks cabinet for the directors box?

None of the things that people say are 'all over twitter' ever show up on my Arsenal list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Seriously lads, seriously?

Are we really gonna do this again but with lewandowski out of all players?

Have we learned nothing by now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

JustTheOne wrote: »

Can't see it myself. What does he give us over Theo anyway? 😂

JustTheOne wrote: »

Just reporting what's out there. Not falling for it. Need a little more before I start doing that

Basil3 wrote: »
    None of the things that people say are 'all over twitter' ever show up on my Arsenal list.

Search for AFC madness to get a feel

We went through this whole thing already, first with Morata then with Higuain and now it will be Lewandowski.

I was just posting about what I read on twitter although since I first posted about the Lewandowski rumour he's gone and posted a picture of himself holding a cannon trophy aloft over his head on his official instagram causing twitter to go potty again.

Its the award for top goal scorer in the Bundesliga but that's not stopping the speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I can find zero sources for this. Except for one or two random tweets. Seriously lads - walk away. Dont do it to yourselves again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

A big drinks cabinet for the directors box?

A Scrooge McDuck style vault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lewandowski :pac: Zero chance of that happening.

DeclanRe wrote:
    I can find zero sources for this. Except for one or two random tweets. Seriously lads - walk away. Dont do it to yourselves again

Exactly...it's people coming to crazy conclusions about any whisper they hear and that's what this transfer window has come to. We are so desperate for anything to happen that any rumour made up in someone's head can go viral in a few hours. It's mental.

• Advertisement

Any quick updates.?
    I skipped to the last page when I read posts about Johnny Evans.....
    *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Any quick updates.?
    I skipped to the last page when I read posts about Johnny Evans.....
    *shudders*

It's fine, we're signing Lewandowski now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Griezmann thrown around too. Madness stuff is wanna be ITK bs. We'll end up with Bony lol

Hah!
    Panic buy anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep it's desperation time alright. It will be Messi next....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm all for panic buys if they land someone like lewandowski(they won't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep it's desperation time alright. It will be Messi next....

Nah, he wouldn't suit our style and PL in general.

Ronaldo is next in line :)

Joking aside I don't think Lacazette is worth 50m, I don't think Stones is worth what was reported to be close to 50m, and - finally - I doubt any of the transfers that were made so far were good business.

The thing is that we have no choice but follow the suit if we want to sign a player.

Like it or not Arsenal, prices are sky high, but so are ticket prices, sky subs prices, jerseys and all other stuff related to pl and Arsenal and football in general.

Sometimes you have to open up your wallet and forget how easy it was in the 90's or early twenties...

If you want to compete in modern football, you have to pay. Even if you feel it isn't worth as much as you are asked to pay.

Looks like it is ok to expect fans to pay a small fortune to buy a jersey from a company who signed a deal with a club you love to watch (and let's face it - it is as good business as paying 47m for Stones).

It is ok to expect us to pay 70-90 euro a month to watch it on telly.

It is ok to ask fans to pay for tickets.

It is ok to see players getting extraordinary (in real world) wages for not winning the league. Not even getting close enough. And some looking like they don't even care as long as they are paid?

Yet it is not ok to complain about the transfer policy???

There is no way to compete this season as it stands imo. I know the window is still open, but I can't see enough movement to feel like my money, and your money is spent well.

Rant over.

Open the wallet.

Edit: I was at some point defending Wenger and the club regarding the prices and transfers, but there is so much activity going on the transfer market... Arsenal must react to this, otherwise we are in trouble.

wonski wrote: »
    Nah, he wouldn't suit our style and PL in general.

Ronaldo is next in line :)

Joking aside I don't think Lacazette is worth 50m, I don't think Stones is worth what was reported to be close to 50m, and - finally - I doubt any of the transfers that were made so far were good business.

The thing is that we have no choice but follow the suit if we want to sign a player.

Like it or not Arsenal, prices are sky high, but so are ticket prices, sky subs prices, jerseys and all other stuff related to pl and Arsenal and football in general.

Sometimes you have to open up your wallet and forget how easy it was in the 90's or early twenties...

If you want to compete in modern football, you have to pay. Even if you feel it isn't worth as much as you are asked to pay.

Looks like it is ok to expect fans to pay a small fortune to buy a jersey from a company who signed a deal with a club you love to watch (and let's face it - it is as good business as paying 47m for Stones).

It is ok to expect us to pay 70-90 euro a month to watch it on telly.

It is ok to ask fans to pay for tickets.

It is ok to see players getting extraordinary (in real world) wages for not winning the league. Not even getting close enough. And some looking like they don't even care as long as they are paid?

Yet it is not ok to complain about the transfer policy???

There is no way to compete this season as it stands imo. I know the window is still open, but I can't see enough movement to feel like my money, and your money is spent well.

Rant over.

Open the wallet.

Edit: I was at some point defending Wenger and the club regarding the prices and transfers, but there is so much activity going on the transfer market... Arsenal must react to this, otherwise we are in trouble.

Careful now you might be accused of relaying information that the majority on this already knew and thus lacking any real insight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Careful now you might be accused of relaying information that the majority on this already knew and thus lacking any real insight ;)

Posts marked as rant do not require any insight, sense or facts ;)

That's a fact :D

wonski wrote: »
    Posts marked as rant do not require any insight, sense or facts ;)

That's a fact :D

In fairness you are right though. So much wrong with the way this club conducts itself in the transfer market. Im beginning to really hate the club we are becoming. As it goes, modern football is rapidly losing its appeal for me. With the exception of one or two, many of todays players in the English league are con jobs and frauds. They get shed loads of dosh for sweet fúck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

not sure why any Arsenal fan should be concerned about transfer prices when:
    1) we are sitting on an estimated 220m cash more than any club in the world;
    2) we have a shareholder, Usmanov, who would be prepared to step up and provide cash unlike Kronke if there was a need;
    3) revenue has sky rocketed and with it transfer fees;
    4) you can amortise the cost of the transfer over the contract life and there should be a significant resale value in any player (Andy Carroll).

I'd much prefer blowing cash on prospects or world class players than buying in the bargain basement but at least go out and fill the obvious weaknesses in the squad.

At this stage I couldn't really give a ****e about the season but ironically just backed Arsenal each way to win the league. I am deluded.

I'll still renew the 2 season tickets next year because I am a mug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Pudders wrote: »
    not sure why any Arsenal fan should be concerned about transfer prices when:
    1) we are sitting on an estimated 220m cash more than any club in the world;
    2) we have a shareholder, Usmanov, who would be prepared to step up and provide cash unlike Kronke if there was a need;
    3) revenue has sky rocketed and with it transfer fees;
    4) you can amortise the cost of the transfer over the contract life and there should be a significant resale value in any player (Andy Carroll).

I'd much prefer blowing cash on prospects or world class players than buying in the bargain basement but at least go out and fill the obvious weaknesses in the squad.

At this stage I couldn't really give a ****e about the season but ironically just backed Arsenal each way to win the league. I am deluded.

I'll still renew the 2 season tickets next year because I am a mug.

I wouldn't call you a mug, you love the club and will support it no matter what

That's what it's all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Rumour of Bony this morning I'd definitely take him
    He wasn't his best at city but that happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

smilerf wrote: »
    Rumour of Bony this morning I'd definitely take him
    He wasn't his best at city but that happens

It's hard to describe how I'd be if Bony was our attacking signing.

I'm not sure if I'd explode in a fit of rage or implode into a weeping mess. I may also just shrug my shoulders, sigh and give up on the whole thing.

I would rather we signed no-one to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I wouldn't be backing Arsenal to win the league tbf

But if you have the money I can't see an issue renewing your season tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah at this point I'd take Mangala and Bony from City. Not sure what that would say about us - buying up for-sale players from a team we finished 5 points ahead of - but they could both do a job for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

To be honest, if that's the height of Arsenals expectations, I'd rather Wenger stepped down now.

With every passing day in this window I'm getting more and more frustrated. Even if we do sign a top quality CB today, how in God's name is he supposed to integrate into our team in 4 days?? It's insanity really and whoever is to blame should face the axe. Probably what will happen now, is that Kos will be rushed back, and he'll get injured! If that happens I will be furious!

Whatever about the striker, a CB is absolutely a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I hope Arsene doesn't read that, he'll be petrified

I hope Arsene doesn't read that, he'll be petrified

Great contribution, thanks.

Wenger hinting today that if the season is bad, then he'll resign. Hmmm

emmetlego wrote: »

No worries, on a par with you telling everybody how angry you're going to be :p

perhaps I'm being a little pedantic but he won't resign, just won't sign a new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Doesnt matter if Wenger is gone next year. They club will still be penny pinching.

Fed up at this state. This window has gone worse than I have ever imagined. Unless the waiting results in something massive happening (I have no faith it will) its been a complete mess

I'm starting to agree with mourinhos assessment of wenger over the last 10 years.

Arsene what have you done to me:(

Unless he misses out on top 4 he'll definitely sign another contract.

No worries, on a par with you telling everybody how angry you're going to be :p

You're gas. No go away and annoy someone else

Thought I'd leave this here:

Drexel wrote: »
    Doesnt matter if Wenger is gone next year. They club will still be penny pinching.

Fed up at this state. This window has gone worse than I have ever imagined. Unless the waiting results in something massive happening (I have no faith it will) its been a complete mess

Even if we do sign players why do we always have to leave it until the last minute?

Why can't we just get things done before the 1st match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The Times reporting that Sanchez and Ozil are stalling on signing new deals. Cant say I blame them when there's no ambition being shown by the club.

You're gas. No go away and annoy someone else

Before you get angry, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Unless he misses out on top 4 he'll definitely sign another contract.

I actually think (if the squad isnt further reinforced in this window) that we will finish outside the top 4. Not being pessimistic, I just think there are 4 teams better equipped than us. Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I haven't felt this dejected before a season opener in quite some time.

The squad has stood still & standing still isn't enough to remain competitive.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Thought I'd leave this here:
    Since the first one was let go (Pique) the 2 Manchester clubs have won 5/8 PL titles. Those fools.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement