Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wenger should go at the end of season, regardless of how good or bad he does. At some stage a bit like Fergie he will just have to say enough is enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Surely there is someone at the club with a bit of power who isn't happy with the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

DvB wrote: »
    I actually think (if the squad isnt further reinforced in this window) that we will finish outside the top 4. Not being pessimistic, I just think there are 4 teams better equipped than us. Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I haven't felt this dejected before a season opener in quite some time.

The squad has stood still & standing still isn't enough to remain competitive.

It's a possibility, and even if it happens i'm not convinced Wenger would definitely go.

He's been quoted as saying recently that he was surprised when Ferguson told him he didn't miss the game, saying as his time must feel 'empty'.

He's also split from his wife recently, so all he's got is Arsenal.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Surely there is someone at the club with a bit of power who isn't happy with the situation?
    All happy enough creaming their pay off the top. Leeches.

Oh btw, the stuff that I said at the start of the transfer window and was told to stop expecting bad things, now it's happened is it ok to say it's happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

keano_afc wrote: »
    The Times reporting that Sanchez and Ozil are stalling on signing new deals. Cant say I blame them when there's no ambition being shown by the club.

This is the most depressing thing about our current state of affairs imo. Alexis and Ozil are winners and I won't blame them for fùcking off when the club show no ambition to win trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Relax all, tis just another morning.

No point having daily freak outs till the window is closed and we know for sure the state of play.

At this point two things seem certain.

1: Wenger is looking for a forward
    2: He incorrectly gambled that with Kos back after Liverpool anyway, a CB wasn't a priority for the season opener. Now he's probably looking at Kos with Chambers/Holding for the season opener.

Hopefully no 2 doesn't come back to bite him on the ass but you'd imagine that as soon as Gabriel got injured the damage was done. Signing, moving and integrating a new CB in a week was probably never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Oh btw, the stuff that I said at the start of the transfer window and was told to stop expecting bad things, now it's happened is it ok to say it's happened?

No because you will be told theres still 3 weeks to go. And at the end of the window when things still havent changed you will be told to trust in Wenger - he knows what hes doing. Although the pro Wenger fans are few and far between at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It's a possibility, and even if it happens i'm not convinced Wenger would definitely go.

He's been quoted as saying recently that he was surprised when Ferguson told him he didn't miss the game, saying as his time must feel 'empty'.

He's also split from his wife recently, so all he's got is Arsenal.

I actually agree that if he guides the team to 4th (or higher) he'll sign a new contract. Lets face it Kroenke will definitely offer AW a new contract as it suits his business plan to spend as little as possible & still stay on the CL gravy train.

Also agree that his recent quotes re: Fergie etc. suggests he's actually not even contemplated life not being The Arsenal manager... But I have a feeling if we struggle this year & miss out he'll step aside, my bigger fear will be who comes in & what will happen if the business plan remains the same! We could be Everton in 4 or 5 years... but that's a discussion for another day.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This is the most depressing thing about our current state of affairs imo. Alexis and Ozil are winners and I won't blame them for fùcking off when the club show no ambition to win trophies.

And that's why it makes business sense to go big on a striker.

Compare the fees received for Ozil and Alexis who will both publicly want out with the cost of replacing them. Then think of the possibility of attracting the forward we want NEXT season when we're in the middle of losing those two.

This is a watershed 2/3 weeks.

Either we're going to try and step up to be amount the big boys or we'll go backwards and make Spurs type signings from now on.

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    No because you will be told theres still 3 weeks to go. And at the end of the window when things still havent changed you will be told to trust in Wenger - he knows what hes doing. Although the pro Wenger fans are few and far between at this stage
    Pretty sure I also said at the start of the window that as usual we'd get to the start of the season and I'd be told to wait til the end of the window, funny that. And then if we do sign someone we'll be 6 games in and probably the same numbder of points off the top before they have a chance to "bed-in" then it'll be wait til next season.
    It's incredible really, same **** for 3 years and still people have their heads in the sand.

DvB wrote: »
    I actually agree that if he guides the team to 4th (or higher) he'll sign a new contract. Lets face it Kroenke will definitely offer AW a new contract as it suits his business plan to spend as little as possible & still stay on the CL gravy train.

Also agree that his recent quotes re: Fergie etc. suggests he's actually not even contemplated life not being The Arsenal manager... But I have a feeling if we struggle this year & miss out he'll step aside, my bigger fear will be who comes in & what will happen if the business plan remains the same! We could be Everton in 4 or 5 years... but that's a discussion for another day.

Signing players like lukaku and Williams, I could actually live with that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm convinced everyone will be happy with the players we get come deadline, not with the timing alright but with the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can't comment until I know exactly what you said.

Was it something along the lines of Arsene not signing players and the squad looking short 4 days before kick off?

Can't comment until I know exactly what you said.

Was it something along the lines of Arsene not signing players and the squad looking short 4 days before kick off?
    Alas it looks like I left it this year after saying it the last few years. :pac:
    Here's a few things I did say:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100324542
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100334376
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99385351

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'm convinced everyone will be happy with the players we get come deadline, not with the timing alright but with the players

Id usually agree, but all the signs this year are pointing to a very very disappointing window.

What other clubs Chief Executive does be giving interviews playing the poor mouth. That to me was very worrying.

With all this new cash the market has moved, prices have skyrocketed and it seems to be making Wenger and the board uncomfortable. We arent goina move with it and will be left behind.

Just reading some quotes from Wenger saying that even with all the extra money there hasnt been much movement. City have bough 8 players. United have 4 top signings.

With the inflated prices the club will not spend the kind of money other clubs will be looking for. Its just not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

If I just accept we're a 4th place club who have good chances in the FA cup and can produce some good performances in the CL but not actual win it i'll be a much happier supporter won't I?

If I just accept we're a 4th place club who have good chances in the FA cup and can produce some good performances in the CL but not actual win it i'll be a much happier supporter won't I?

I think a good place to start is to realise that it's only football, and that no amount of b*tching and moaning on a message boards will make any difference to the performance of the team :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yay! Let's all celebrate because Button was right!

That's going to make up for not competing for the league isn't it? We can all relax and be joyful that at least Button was right.

Woohoo!

farna_boy wrote: »
    Yay! Let's all celebrate because Button was right!

That's going to make up for not competing for the league isn't it? We can all relax and be joyful that at least Button was right.

Woohoo!
    I would just like in future to be able to express an opinion without being shouted down. But hey, I'm an Arsenal fan, it'd be retarded to dream.

• Advertisement

I would just like in future to be able to express an opinion without being shouted down. But hey, I'm an Arsenal fan, it'd be retarded to dream.

No-one's shouting you down button.

All I see from the posts you quoted is people thanking and agreeing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

put an opinion up and people will react to it. that's how it works!

greendom wrote: »
    put an opinion up and people will react to it. that's how it works!

Yeah but generally if someone says something is going to happen and then numerous people go off saying no he won't stop being an idiot yadda yadda and then it turns out he was right all along, the people who were slatting him could at least have the decency to say oh sh1t you were right all along instead of being bitter about it.

Yeah but generally if someone says something is going to happen and then numerous people go off saying no he won't stop being an idiot yadda yadda and then it turns out he was right all along, the people who were slatting him could at least have the decency to say oh sh1t you were right all along instead of being bitter about it.

Granted. I'm just curious who was saying 'stop being an idiot'.

And even Button can't find what he thought he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

The Sun are running with a story that we have just had a £30 mill offer rejected for Mahrez and are expected to come back with an improved offer.
    Gunnerblog retweeted it and said he expects this is to force Chelseas hand into a £45 mill bid. Sounds more likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Well he still has 3 weeks to be truly proven right to be honest

Very frustrating that business never seems to be done early. I'm sure they'll try until the very last second, but if they don't sign a defender and a striker/attacker then they're under severe pressure from day 18

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

DeclanRe wrote: »
    The Sun are running with a story that we have just had a £30 mill offer rejected for Mahrez and are expected to come back with an improved offer.
    Gunnerblog retweeted it and said he expects this is to force Chelseas hand into a £45 mill bid. Sounds more likely

You see what happened there? You started off with "The Sun are running with a story".... I lost interest after that! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

emmetlego wrote: »
    You see what happened there? You started off with "The Sun are running with a story".... I lost interest after that! :-)

Hahaha - L'Equipe ran it initially. So its the Sun, going on a rumor from L'Equipe even worse :pac::D

In fairness I didn't even bother posting as much this summer because it was the last few summers of the "be optimistic!", " you're not a real supporter!" type stuff left me not arsed. Every year is the same and to point out that those expecting anything to change are delusional is heresy. I said at the start of last season we'd be lucky to still have Ozil to start this coming season. If he had any sense he'd be out the door now instead of next season when he will leave. Ashley Cole knew it, van Persie knew it, Nasri knew it, Fabregas, Sagna, even back to Henry, they all left for the right reason for them. Nothing has changed and nothing is going to once there's fingers in the honeypot.
    The next set of account are gonna make for interesting reading.

• Advertisement

In fairness I didn't even bother posting as much this summer because it was the last few summers of the "be optimistic!", " you're not a real supporter!" type stuff left me not arsed. Every year is the same and to point out that those expecting anything to change are delusional is heresy. I said at the start of last season we'd be lucky to still have Ozil to start this coming season. If he had any sense he'd be out the door now instead of next season when he will leave. Ashley Cole knew it, van Persie knew it, Nasri knew it, Fabregas, Sagna, even back to Henry, they all left for the right reason for them. Nothing has changed and nothing is going to once there's fingers in the honeypot.

But things have changed.

Certain things haven't changed, granted. But a lot has changed since the players you listed left the club.

if come Sept 1st we haven't bought a centre forward and a centre back I will send both you and button a bunch of flowers as an apology for doubting your perspicacity - how about that ?

if come Sept 1st we haven't bought a centre forward and a centre back I will send both you and button a bunch of flowers as an apology for doubting your perspicacity - how about that ?

Do they both have to be 'World Class'?

Hilarious

Basil3 wrote: »
    But things have changed.

Certain things haven't changed, granted. But a lot has changed since the players you listed left the club.
    How much and when?
    Cash reserves keep increasing, no change.
    Obvious spots not filled a few days before kick-off, no change.
    Massive increase in sponsorship not spent on players.
    Massive increase in TV money not spent on players.
    And lo and behold, we're in the same situation as every season since the shackles were meant to be coming off.

One decent signing we've made in a position we made another signing for in January. CB? Nah. Striker? Nah. RW? Nah. RB? Nah. And we will need a replacement at RB soon. I expect by January most posters will be happy to replace Bellerin. On the off-chance he gets back to his best (which I believe was a flash in the pan) his Barce DNA will activate next summer.

Very little has changed and if we don't win the league or CL this year then one of the few things that has changed will change back; our best players will be leaving again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

An interview with Wenger. As his contract is up next summer how the club performs this season will determine his future. Personally I hope he leaves next summer. He's been a great servant for the club but we need a fresh new change.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37034195

• Advertisement

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057568328/635

I was slated here weeks ago as you can see from the above link and the page after it for saying we hadn't signed anyone in the positions we badly needed and it will be left until the last minute.

Ah well nobody wins in the end I guess.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057568328/635

I was slated here weeks ago as you can see from the above link and the page after it for saying we hadn't signed anyone in the positions we badly needed and it will be left until the last minute.

Ah well nobody wins in the end I guess.

Wrong link.

You certainly do like to pat yourself on the back for making such bold predictions, though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Wouldn't we all like that? It happens on both sides. There are a fair few posts on here being shouted down because the posts are from "Wenger apologists" or "Wengerite" or whatever BS name someone comes up with, purely because they aren't in line with other people's opinions.

Again, that happens on both sides and I have never seen a retraction from anyone or someone admitting they were wrong. Even in the post below, Button predicted that Ozil and Sanchez could be gone this window and so far there has been no movement from either of them. If the window ends and they are both still here, I won't go around demanding Button to issue an apology to the thread saying he was wrong.

The thread would turn into an even bigger mess if people went around back slapping each other when they were right or demanding apologies when others were wrong. It can be hard enough to read sometimes without adding even more BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Loads of Mahrez stories in the past 30 minutes or so. A L'Equipe consultant has said that we made a £30m bid that was rejected (obviously), and have now made a £35m bid. The same person wrote 'Mahrez at Arsenal soon' 30 mins ago.

Ed Aarons of The Guardian has since tweeted "Amid rumours of a £35m Arsenal bid, told Riyah Mahrez's agent had meeting Leicester's director of football John Rudkin today."

Hmm. I'd be more optimistic if the figures were higher. £30-35 is Bolasie money!

Again, that happens on both sides and I have never seen a retraction from anyone or someone admitting they were wrong. Even in the post below, Button predicted that Ozil and Sanchez could be gone this window and so far there has been no movement from either of them. If the window ends and they are both still here, I won't go around demanding Button to issue an apology to the thread saying he was wrong.

The thread would turn into an even bigger mess if people went around back slapping each other when they were right or demanding apologies when others were wrong. It can be hard enough to read sometimes without adding even more BS.

You see it all the time man, especially during match day threads. If I call us winning the league this year and then we win the league i'll go back to my post and quote it and about 50 people will thank it and say wow you were right good job.

It's not a big deal I just think it's funny when Button gives his opinion he usually gets bombarded with crap yet when his opinion was correct everyone just shuts up. It doesn't bother me at all, it's just amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Loads of Mahrez stories in the past 30 minutes or so. A L'Equipe consultant has said that we made a £30m bid that was rejected (obviously), and have now made a £35m bid. The same person wrote 'Mahrez at Arsenal soon' 30 mins ago.

Ed Aarons of The Guardian has since tweeted "Amid rumours of a £35m Arsenal bid, told Riyah Mahrez's agent had meeting Leicester's director of football John Rudkin today."

Hmm. I'd be more optimistic if the figures were higher. £30-35 is Bolasie money!

70M for Mahrez and Vardy. Job done.
    Then get a centre half

is the agent pushing for a better contract with Leicester, or helping to get Mahrez out the door - we'll know soon enough - agree on the price, need to offer at least 40 for Leicester to take it seriously.

Wouldn't we all like that? It happens on both sides. There are a fair few posts on here being shouted down because the posts are from "Wenger apologists" or "Wengerite" or whatever BS name someone comes up with, purely because they aren't in line with other people's opinions.
    A bit of logic other than "OMG be positive guh!" would be beautiful.
    Did I predict they'd go this summer? As far as I recall I said they should leave this summer. Pretty sure I said that last season as well. If Gabriel turns out to be fantastic then I'll say I was wrong. If, as I said at least a year ago he's gone and a busted flush by the end of next year, I wonder how many people who went on about how good he looked will say they were wrong. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I think the major problem with the way things are going in here are, its bad enough having every other fan laughing at you, then your own fans start up.

Should we have signed more players in the last two seasons? Yes.
    Do we have a ludicrous amount of money we seem unwilling to spend? Yes.
    Is it unbelievably annoying that we have seen this all before? You bet.
    Does anyone in here think all Arsenal fans don't know these facts?

But these doomsday prophecies just don't do anyone any good. They make the poster all agitated and red-faced, the responders antagonistic and catty and the rest of us rolling oure eyes about why we came back into the thread.

We dont need to hear "We are coming 4th or 5th and Sanchez and ozil are gonna start their own football team in Laos tomorrow". We dont need to hear "When will you Wenger apologists learn X" when nobody was in here praising Wenger.

And frankly yes, it is far more enjoyable to be optimists in here instead of pessimists. Generally works in life too. Its just more pleasant to talk to pleasant people.

And as has been said numerous times, at the end of the day the long bemoaning post doesnt actually effect anything. Noone important is listening and nothing will happen. So why not have a bit of a laugh?!

Mega fans are obviously incredibly frustrated, but instead of a "4th place trophy" commment, go figure out how to make a GIF of Bendtner and Emanuel Frimpong doing a pulp fiction scene.

Van Persie, Nasri, Clichy and Sagna all saw the light and left our beloved club. I hope we are all bigger Arsenal fans than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

This Mahrez story today started in the Sun, and they quoted Lequipe... Funnily enough, Lequipe have no such story!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Wow. People predicted that we would leave it to the last minute to buy someone/not buy anyone/panic buy.

How did you know??!

Wow. People predicted that we would leave it to the last minute to buy someone/not buy anyone/panic buy.

How did you know??!
    Things are different this summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wasn't having a go at you button. I find myself agreeing with you 99℅ of the time. It's not worth arguing over who said what 3 months ago.

emmetlego wrote: »
    This Mahrez story today started in the Sun, and they quoted Lequipe... Funnily enough, Lequipe have no such story!!!

It's a journalist named Gilles Favard with the story - he does write for L'Equipe

https://twitter.com/favardgilles

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement