Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

greendom wrote: »
    I'mcalling BS on this. Which press? - For Sanchez and Ozil

Bollox. Its common sense to leave our unambitous club. Look at all the top players that has left since 2005. I once hated RvP but now I understand why he left. The Ajax of English football.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Bollox. Its common sense to leave our unambitous club. Look at all the top players that has left since 2005. I once hated RvP but now I understand why he left. The Ajax of English football.

At least Ajax even managed to win a European cup before they sold off that great side in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Come off it, we haven't been a selling club for a few years now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

emmetlego wrote: »
    Come off it, we haven't been a selling club for a few years now!

Or a buying club. We have spent 40 million on 2 first team players in about 18 months. One was a goalkeeper. We are a club going nowhere fast.

Or a buying club. We have spent 40 million on 2 first team players in about 18 months. One was a goalkeeper. We are a club going nowhere fast.

I agree, fully with your sentiment, but you're forgetting Elneny??

I was merely disagreeing with the post I quoted, it's currently, factually incorrect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm still not convinced all this penny pinching and stalling is actually Wenger's fault. It drives me demented but what's Gazidas' role in all this? Is Wenger actively involved in all aspects of transfers or does he have a list in order of preference and ask the club to get him the best they can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

L'prof wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced all this penny pinching and stalling is actually Wenger's fault. It drives me demented but what's Gazidas' role in all this? Is Wenger actively involved in all aspects of transfers or does he have a list in order of preference and ask the club to get him the best they can?

Apparently he's fully involved in everything transfer-related, including the offer and contract offer. I recall Honigstein saying on Football Weekly words to the effect that Arsenal top brass practically had to lock him a cupboard as he dithered in the last-minute to get Ozil over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

People, Is Wenger still the right man for Arsenal?

Yes or No?

One word answers pls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

ronjo wrote: »

That would be an ecumenical matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Yes or No?

Maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

That would be an ecumenical matter...
    mansize wrote: »
    Maybe

Feckers ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yes or No?

NOOOOOOO!

?width=627&version=2051741

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

L'Equipe have an article today about Arsenal and Mahrez saying:
    • We've made a €41 million bid
    • Mahrez has recently rejected a contract extension (!!!)
    • He's ready to push for a move away from Leicester
    • Our main priority in this window is to sign a CB and Mahrez
    • Also, we'd like to wrap up this deal as soon a possible, preferably before the season starts but it's very unlikely Leciester lets him leave that soon.

Also most places reporting Mustafi is close. Mahrez in and Sanchez as a striker option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'll always support him, but in answer to the question, I'm really not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yes or No?

It's either 'yes, if...' or 'no, but...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

AdamD wrote: »
    L'Equipe have an article today about Arsenal and Mahrez saying:
    • We've made a €41 million bid
    • Mahrez has recently rejected a contract extension (!!!)
    • He's ready to push for a move away from Leicester
    • Our main priority in this window is to sign a CB and Mahrez
    • Also, we'd like to wrap up this deal as soon a possible, preferably before the season starts but it's very unlikely Leciester lets him leave that soon.

Also most places reporting Mustafi is close. Mahrez in and Sanchez as a striker option?

The Guardian are going with "Riyad Mahrez agrees not to leave Leicester in current transfer window"

maximoose wrote: »
    The Guardian are going with "Riyad Mahrez agrees not to leave Leicester in current transfer window"

Seems that the French Press and the UK press have completely different sources. i think this one will go to the wire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yes or No?

No, but its not all to do with transfers. I dont think he has the tactical ability anymore

wonga77 wrote: »
    No, but its not all to do with transfers. I dont think he has the tactical ability anymore

I kind of agree but disagree with this (to be difficult for a change).

I think Wenger plays a pure but niaive game. A pragmatic tactician with a tough team who's willing to setup just to beat him will always have a good chance. Stop Arsenal doing their thing, turn it into a dogfight and you've got a chance.

But Wenger was always this way. The invincibles era team were good enough and tough enough to win anyway and I think it's no coincidence that since we stopped selling and started adding good players (albeit slowly), our top four record is much improved.

Wenger will always be weak to a good defensive manager and that's where player quality needs to come to the fore.

But that's his whole philosophy. You win by playing superior attacking football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Seems that the French Press and the UK press have completely different sources. i think this one will go to the wire

Don't do it to yourself. He's not coming.

Maybe 15% of the time against superior or more in-form opposition Wenger does the smart thing and sets up well. The other 80+% of the time we get hockeyed with a big scoreline or schooled and lose. Tactically he knows his stuff, unfortunately as with other things his stubborness ruins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

MUSTAFI ‘AGREES ARSENAL MOVE'

To the latest on Arsenal’s pursuit of Shkodran Mustafi now, and our colleagues at Sky in Germany report the Valencia defender has agreed to join the club.

Sky Sports News HQ understands negotiations will continue today as the Gunners try to wrap up the deal for the Germany international, with the deal far from completion.

Arsene Wenger is desperate for defensive reinforcements following injuries to Per Mertesacker and Gabriel, and could weigh out up to £30m on Mustafi.

We understand the 24-year-old is still training with Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

byrneg28 wrote: »
    MUSTAFI ‘AGREES ARSENAL MOVE'

To the latest on Arsenal’s pursuit of Shkodran Mustafi now, and our colleagues at Sky in Germany report the Valencia defender has agreed to join the club.

Sky Sports News HQ understands negotiations will continue today as the Gunners try to wrap up the deal for the Germany international, with the deal far from completion.

Arsene Wenger is desperate for defensive reinforcements following injuries to Per Mertesacker and Gabriel, and could weigh out up to £30m on Mustafi.

We understand the 24-year-old is still training with Valencia.

Let's hope we can agree a fee. Let's not forget, Higuain agreed terms too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

he's only 24?!? wow haha he looks older than Ozil! :P but yeah hope we can wrap that up and sign a forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Yea - great to be finally signing him. Pretty sure this is the end of our activity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So he has agreed to move....but the deal is far from completion. Thanks for that stellar piece of non news.

Bloody press.....

Only believe it if and when we see him in the kit lads, been here before. He will start ahead of a fully fit Mert, so he's a great signing imo. Really strengthens our backline.

Only believe it if and when we see him in the kit lads, been here before. He will start ahead of a fully fit Mert, so he's a great signing imo. Really strengthens our backline.

yes it could still well fall through. if it does I wonder who the next option is ?

Some other German Schar was it?

Article says the player and Arsenal have agreed terms and that the fee is still to be decided. So once Arsenal improve on their opening offer of €5 and a Twix, we'll see some movement.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Article says the player and Arsenal have agreed terms and that the fee is still to be decided. So once Arsenal improve on their opening offer of €5 and a Twix, we'll see some movement.

What - Valencia turned down the longer lasting snack - I don't believe it!

• Advertisement

It's a positive thing to see anyway. World class defender coming in to partner Kos.

No nonsense about 'killing' the development of Gabriel or Chambers or Holding.

Whatever people say, if Mustafi comes in, we're one or perhaps 2 world class players away from one of the best Arsenal squads.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's a positive thing to see anyway. World class defender coming in to partner Kos.

Whatever people say, if Mustafi comes in, we're one or perhaps 2 world class players away from one of the best Arsenal squads.

This. We're a winger and a striker away from competing. Get it done, Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Is Mustafi world class? I never heard of him until we were linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He played for Germany when Hummels was out in the Euros, and I think he scored.

That's all I've got :D

Sorry, world class is a silly tag.

What I mean is we won't do much better in the transfer market.

How he works out though remains to be seen.

keano_afc wrote: »
    This. We're a winger and a striker away from competing. Get it done, Arsenal.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think you'll be disappointed.

After this, one attacker into the team and that's it. That would be 3 new players improving our starting 11, which is pretty good imo.

gosplan wrote: »

Also, imagine what working with the class of Kos, Mustafi and the experience of the Mert monster will do for Chambers, Holding, Bielek and even Gabriek... All good!

Just sign Mahrez and a good alternative to Giroud and I'll be happy again

**Emmet begins holding his breath**

Also, imagine what working with the class of Kos, Mustafi and the experience of the Mert monster will do for Chambers, Holding, Bielek and even Gabriek... All good!

Just sign Mahrez and a good alternative to Giroud and I'll be happy again

**Emmet begins holding his breath**

We haven't even signed Mustafi yet nevermind the other two so probably best if you don't hold your breath just yet :pac:

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'd love to be wrong, but I think you'll be disappointed.

After this, one attacker into the team and that's it. That would be 3 new players improving our starting 11, which is pretty good imo.

I'm a fan since the mid 80's. Being disappointed is my default feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we're one attacking signing away from been really really strong

Get maherz and play Sanchez as a 9 I'd be very very happy

• Advertisement

We haven't even signed Mustafi yet nevermind the other two so probably best if you don't hold your breath just yet :pac:

**face regains normal colour**

Thanks Ken!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I've been mostly lurking here for the last two years and I've learned a lot in that time. Mostly about how abused wives can't leave their husband as they still love them, and hope they will change.

ectoraige wrote: »
    I've been mostly lurking here for the last two years and I've learned a lot in that time. Mostly about how abused wives can't leave their husband as they still love them, and hope they will change.

Carrots you say?

ectoraige wrote: »

Hahahahaha good man

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Enough of the transfer nonsense. First game coming up.

To win the league we need to improve by 10 points roughly (hard to tell but 80+ generally wins the league but with so many bug guns it could be lower this year).

Fixtures for August (last year result)
    Liverpool home (drew 0-0)
    Leicester away (won 5-2)
    Watford away (won 3-0)

Need to get 3 wins to better last year. Would happily take 7 again from these. Last year there were 4 matches in August and we were 5 points off top (Man City), 1 point behind Leicester, with 7 points. To be fair, at that stage I thought Man City were going to walk the league. Wouldn't like to give them a 5 point start this year.

Personally, I think at the back we will be alright against Leicester and Watford but not sure against Liverpool. But struggling to see where the goals will come from.

We'll be doing well to get 7 points from this lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I don't know if we are in for Mahrez probably not but I imagine the Bolasie deal has increased his value anyway

Mustafi and Gabriel barbosa would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/ArsenalsNews/status/763739993051373568

Mert and Mustafi already have an understanding too which will help him settle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I will gladly eat humble pie if we sign mustafi and a good striker.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I will gladly eat humble pie if we sign mustafi and a good striker.

And we must shift some of the deadwood too!

• Advertisement

And we must shift some of the deadwood too!

There's very little deadwood to be shifted, imo. Next thing we'll end up short of players because of injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement