Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pudders wrote: »
    Oh ffs Musafi's dad has said no deal in place and he is his agent not the guy quoted as saying deal agreed with player. So a 32 year old barca reject is our back up. That will work out well.

Apparently the dad was probably asked to say that. If we have a deal with a player before the club, it would constitute "tapping up".

Pretty sure this deal will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently the dad was probably asked to say that. If we have a deal with a player before the club, it would constitute "tapping up".

Pretty sure this deal will happen.

Hmm:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

So a 32 year old barca reject is our back up

The fact we've actually made a plan B is refreshing.

Though I'm getting a stink of Squillachi off that Barca fella.

omega man wrote: »
    In fairness Neville has us 2nd as it stands, i.e. without making more signings.

What was his reasoning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They'll want the money to replace him ASAP i'd assume. Only thing holding the deal back is the money we're willing or rather not willingly to spend as usual from what I can tell

They've already signed Musa.

Oh ffs Musafi's dad has said no deal in place and he is his agent not the guy quoted as saying deal agreed with player. So a 32 year old barca reject is our back up. That will work out well.

If we're assuming all the stuff said about the deal for Mustafi was BS, why just go to believing the next rumour without question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Who is this?

Jeremy Mathieu. Strongly linked with him.

Who is this?

Mathieu -it was a surprise when they signed him and I've never seen him play well since he joined them.

• Advertisement

Never heard of him lads.
    Hope his back is not broken if he comes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I'm disappointed. I wish I could be looking forward to Sunday as I usually am for the first game of the season. We should be beating Pool at home, but with our squad at the moment I'd take a draw. I'm not very optimistic for the season unfortunately, I wish I was.

I know that we will sign a good center back (more than likely Mustafi) but its too little too late, and the points that we may loose on Sunday could cost us the title.

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I'm disappointed. I wish I could be looking forward to Sunday as I usually am for the first game of the season. We should be beating Pool at home, but with our squad at the moment I'd take a draw. I'm not very optimistic for the season unfortunately, I wish I was.

I know that we will sign a good center back (more than likely Mustafi) but its too little too late, and the points that we may loose on Sunday could cost us the title.

Yes. We should be getting our business done early and allowing players to bed-in during pre-season games.

I still expect us to beat Liverpool though.

Mathieu -it was a surprise when they signed him and I've never seen him play well since he joined them.

Mikael Silvestre part 2. We really do take the piss cutting corners with our transfers.

Yes. We should be getting our business done early and allowing players to bed-in during pre-season games.

I still expect us to beat Liverpool though.

I wouldnt be so optimistic. There a big threat going foward and Klopps team are always cohesive. They will test our inexperienced and fragile defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mathieu would be a poor signing, that's one transfer rumour I'm hoping is a load of lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads it's bad when Henry thinks we only getting 4th
    I personally have been a Wenger out since about 2010
    Totally sick of the cocky smug head on him now

smilerf wrote: »

Still love the man and I'm hopeful he can go out with a great year. Think though that this should be his last however well we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Probably out of loyalty too. Although in fairness our top 4 record speaks for itself.

Was coming around to thinking another year would be good with Wenger if he finally brought in the players we need in the right positions.

In his support he finally fixed the keeper issue, signed Ozil and Sanchez, brought in more defensive minded MFs and we actually have a decent back 4 albeit with a lack of quality cover at CB.

The forwards position has been his downfall and yet again it seems another summer may have passed us by. To add insult we've no established CB going into the season and playing a top 4 rival in our first game. Unforgivable.

Ultimately though I still worry wengers tactical ability has abandoned him or just that football has moved on since his glory days. It's been said before but this really is a huge season for him, specifically with respect to the fan base as the club would probably give him the job for life.

Of course he can still sign players and surprise us but isn't it all a bit late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Still love the man and I'm hopeful he can go out with a great year. Think though that this should be his last however well we do.

Hoping for a great year too. A lot of my frustrations lately have been around the transfer market. Unfortunately, whether he stays or goes I think that thorn will remain. For years I defended him, but now I feel if he were to leave then it's probably the right time. My only worry then is, who will come in? Literally all the best managers have just changed jobs. Simeone would be good, but a drastic change in style. The more I read about Howe though, the more curious I get. Who else could possibly come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The Board will definitely appoint someone like Eddie Howe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness 20 years ago this place if it existed would have gone into meltdown when an unknown manager plying his trade in Japan was announced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

A lot of rumblings something big will go down before window closes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

A lot of rumblings something big will go down before window closes

What sort of rumblings

Soups123 wrote: »
    What sort of rumblings

Madness rumblings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    Madness rumblings

Any names?

Soups123 wrote: »
    Any names?

My mate who is ITK has heard some rumblings about
    Del Piero.

Ssssssshhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Bull**** Rumblings you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Bull**** Rumblings you mean

In fairness you guys have spent big on occasions. I think Draxler will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    In fairness you guys have spent big on occasions. I think Draxler will be done.

Nah! He's too old and not French enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I had some respect for Henry as a player but that has long since worn off and he has proven his "worth" as a pundit.

I'm sure wherever he ranks Arsenal now also had nothing to do with Wengers ultimatum to him and his choice shows where his true loyalty lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

farna_boy wrote: »
    I had some respect for Henry as a player but that has long since worn off and he has proven his "worth" as a pundit.

I'm sure wherever he ranks Arsenal now also had nothing to do with Wengers ultimatum to him and his choice shows where his true loyalty lies.

He's an absolute legend and the greatest striker the PL has ever seen. We were lucky to have him and without him we'd probably be sitting around mid table nowadays. I don't give a **** how bad he is at being a pundit, he's a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Madness rumblings

It's all bollocks. If were gonna buy anyone it's gonna be a defender. That's it. There won't be any madness. Hes only waiting for some big moves on deadline day and hoping something falls in his lap. There is no plan. Wait and see plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

farna_boy wrote: »
    I had some respect for Henry as a player

Wow. The best ever striker/player at Arsenal and you have "some" respect for him

Clearly what I meant was madness rumblings :p

I hate when I forget to put my sticky out tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wonder if we do make a big signing will the people who said we def won't make one, be happy or will they come on ranting saying why did we leave it so late?

Wonder if we do make a big signing will the people who said we def won't make one, be happy or will they come on ranting saying why did we leave it so late?

What constitutes a big signing though? I'd be happy with Lacazette, but would he be any bigger of a signing than Xhaka?

reports Santi is new captain.
    Good choice but I would have preferred to see xhaka and elneny as the 2 in a 4.2.3.1 unless Santi being moved to wing

reports Santi is new captain.
    Good choice but I would have preferred to see xhaka and elneny as the 2 in a 4.2.3.1 unless Santi being moved to wing

Is this like acting captain? In any case, poor choice IMO.

Arsenal always go on about stability. Why not put someone in place who is young enough to be captain for 5-6 years? I would have Ramsey, personally.

Edit: just reading it's 8 years today since Rambo's debut for Arsenal. That's flown by.

• Advertisement

They'll be as thrilled as the rest of us.

Not believing a signing is going to take place isn't the same as not wanting it to take place.

In fairness to everyone here, all we want is the signings the team needs. Some people are just going on past history and assuming it won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Arsenal always go on about stability. Why not put someone in place who is young enough to be captain for 5-6 years? I would have Ramsey, personally.

Edit: just reading it's 8 years today since Rambo's debut for Arsenal. That's flown by.

Ramsey? Man can't be trusted to hold the position he has been given throughout a game, couldn't be trusted with captaincy imo.
    Santi as captain is fine by me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

gosplan wrote: »
    They'll be as thrilled as the rest of us.

Not believing a signing is going to take place isn't the same as not wanting it to take place.

In fairness to everyone here, all we want is the signings the team needs. Some people are just going on past history and assuming it won't happen.

Exactly this, I don't think we are going to make a BIG signing. Doesn't mean I won't be happy if we do

Madness! He'll be due a testimonial by the time he's 27!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Of course santi will be in the 1st team. Was our best player until he got injured last season.

Are we forgetting what a cracking player he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

mfRdIMki3wI_z68IF6TpisxX2ZJcOTLqsK2-n_K5L58.jpg?w=620&

Ok image not working. Predicted line ups:

Arsenal:
    Cech
    Bellerin Chambers, Monreal, Gibbs
    Xhaka, Elneny
    Ox, Ramsey, Iwobi
    Alexis

Liverpool:
    Mignolet
    Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Clyne
    Can, Henderson
    Coutinho, Mane, Firmino
    Sturridge

Be an interesting game. We definitely have a better midfield and both Moreno and Mignolet are extremely dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

AdamD wrote: »
    mfRdIMki3wI_z68IF6TpisxX2ZJcOTLqsK2-n_K5L58.jpg?w=620&

Ok image not working. Predicted line ups:

Arsenal:
    Cech
    Bellerin Chambers, Monreal, Gibbs
    Xhaka, Elneny
    Ox, Ramsey, Iwobi
    Alexis

Liverpool:
    Mignolet
    Clyne, Lovren, Klavan, Clyne
    Can, Henderson
    Coutinho, Mane, Firmino
    Sturridge

Be an interesting game. We definitely have a better midfield and both Moreno and Mignolet are extremely dodgy.

Looks like Clyne will have a busy game :p

On a serious note I'm genuinely surprised Klopp is gonna go into the season with Moreno and Mignolet as first team players, a pair of spoofers if I've ever seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I thought Sturridge was crocked too. Feeling less confident now.

God it has
    No mention of acting captain I read club captain

Here's how the guardian see it anyway:

2chp85d.jpg

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Exactly this, I don't think we are going to make a BIG signing. Doesn't mean I won't be happy if we do

I genuinely think that Wenger shopped around to get a good striker for around the 20-30 million mark.

When Vardy said no and Lyon hinted Lacazette would cost a lot more, I'd say his thinking is to wait and see what else may come up first.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement