Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

L'prof wrote: »
    Here's how the guardian see it anyway:

2chp85d.jpg
    Chambers needs a loan somewhere
    I do be nervous with him in team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Chambers did great against Liverpool last year when we were in a similar defensive crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Cant wait to see Xhaka boss Can, Henderson , Coutinho, Mane, and Firmino around the place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wonder if we do make a big signing will the people who said we def won't make one, be happy or will they come on ranting saying why did we leave it so late?

I don't know any of these foreign lads so if we did buy one it would take awhile for me to decided if they're good or not. I don't believe we will buy anyone anyway. Would be delighted if we did. The same gaping holes that were there last year in attack and defence are still there.
    I do like the look of Xhaka though and that's an area that needed fixing. I think he will be a great signing.

@Arsenal: 👠Congratulations to @Mertesacker, our new club captain! pic.twitter.com/BjzOsibEF9

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/764410733807407104

Weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Mert is the Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Another captain who'll spend the season on the sideline, what a joke

Mert captain does not bode well for a new CB.
    Mert shouldn't be near the first eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

So Santi is vice captain now? I really hope Wenger plans on starting him this season because it'd be a bit of a joke to have an injured captain and a vice captain that isn't guaranteed his place.

Cech should be captain imo.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Advertisement

I still cannot understand how we have allowed some of our players extra holidays. Are we the only club to do this? Others seem to be at full strength bar injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Mert captain does not bode well for a new CB.
    Mert shouldn't be near the first eleven.

How so? I read a stat that in the last 3/4 years the captain has only started 13 games

wawaman wrote: »
    How so? I read a stat that in the last 3/4 years the captain has only started 13 games

Because i cannot understand why you would make someone who will only play a limited number of games captain.
    I believe the captain should be on the field as often as possible and be a leader i.e. barks orders and gives encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Even if he were on the pitch every game I don't think Mert has the temperament of a captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Looks like Clyne will have a busy game :p

On a serious note I'm genuinely surprised Klopp is gonna go into the season with Moreno and Mignolet as first team players, a pair of spoofers if I've ever seen one.

Our new number 1 broke his hand in preseason so we're stuck with Ming for the minute.

I'd say 95% of Liverpool supporters would like to see us upgrade on Moreno and hopefully we can get someone in before the end of the window.

Should be a decent game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Seems Wenger sees the role of club captain as more an off the pitch leader and motivator. Fits in with the theory that he expects players to make their own decisions on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Out of all our defenders he's the first one I'd move on. Pretty ordinary player. Not surprised by the appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Maybe its Wengers way of getting rid of Mert? Viera, Henry, Fabregas, RVP and then Vermaelen, next up was Arteta who retired. Our record with captains is not so hot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Basil3 wrote: »
    @Arsenal: 👠Congratulations to @Mertesacker, our new club captain! pic.twitter.com/BjzOsibEF9

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/764410733807407104

Weird

Outrageous decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mert club captain. Sweet Jesus. Wenger you deluded old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Come on Mahrez, jump ship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Vice-captain gets captaincy. I'm shocked, who saw that coming?

:rolleyes:

Vice-captain gets captaincy. I'm shocked, who saw that coming?

:rolleyes:

Yeah. Especially when he's out for months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

For the most part, it doesn't really matter whether Mert plays or not. He's the elder statesman in the squad now and giving the arm band to him is just official confirmation of this. Wenger wants his captains anyway to be more than just a leader on the field, he's both the players representative, the dressing room motivator and the player who is meant to carry forward the clubs traditions and culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I don't understand... I just don't understand anymore

• Advertisement

Yeah. Especially when he's out for months :rolleyes:

So someone else (Cech or Kos probably) will take the armband when he's out, what's the problem? People place far too much importance on which player has (C) next to his name. On the pitch, loud and commanding players will be loud and commanding whether or not they're the captain.

Can anybody actually tell me what negative effects arise from this? I can't think of anything.

So someone else (Cech or Kos probably) will take the armband when he's out, what's the problem? People place far too much importance on which player has (C) next to his name. On the pitch, loud and commanding players will be loud and commanding whether or not they're the captain.

Can anybody actually tell me what negative effects arise from this? I can't think of anything.

The captain is supposed to be the leader surely?
    You can do this better by being on the field.
    If not then why have a captain at all except to call the toss.

The captain is supposed to be the leader surely?
    You can do this better by being on the field.
    If not then why have a captain at all except to call the toss.

We'll have a captain on the field, we don't magically have no captain when he's injured. You can also have more than one leader, believe it or not.

Seriously, this is a total non-issue. We have real problems to deal with right now.

We'll have a captain on the field, we don't magically have no captain when he's injured. You can also have more than one leader, believe it or not.

Seriously, this is a total non-issue. We have real problems to deal with right now.

But the captain should be the leader, the one who calls the shots, the boss.
    Everyone shouting the odds is just confusing. It is important.
    Adams was our best captain. He kept them all honest and read the game very well.

But the captain should be the leader, the one who calls the shots, the boss.
    Everyone shouting the odds is just confusing. It is important.
    Adams was our best captain. He kept them all honest and read the game very well.

Do you really think that Seaman, Winterburn, Keown etc etc weren't leaders? Buffon is Italy's captain, but that entire backline shouts like there's no tomorrow. Having one person doing all the shouting is archaic, and in practise does not exist in the game today.

And again, if that were the case, Cech can do the shouting until Mertesacker returns. Problem = gone. That was easy...

• Advertisement

Do you really think that Seaman, Winterburn, Keown etc etc weren't leaders? Buffon is Italy's captain, but that entire backline shouts like there's no tomorrow. Having one person doing all the shouting is archaic, and in practise does not exist in the game today.

And again, if that were the case, Cech can do the shouting until Mertesacker returns. Problem = gone. That was easy...

Not so easy at all.
    Maybe they should give the captaincy to Gibbs or Walcott. Those brave lads would have no problem shouting the odds to team-mates to get them to give their all. :pac:

Not so easy at all.
    Maybe they should give the captaincy to Gibbs or Walcott. Those brave lads would have no problem shouting the odds to team-mates to get them to give their all. :pac:

Them being the captain does not impede the actual leaders from leading by example in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Modern project management theories state the best teams are self organising anyway. Don't see why that wouldn't translate to football anyway, plenty of anecdotes of great teams deciding tactics democratically in the dressing room.

Them being the captain does not impede the actual leaders from leading by example in the slightest.

It does if there's a difference of opinion Too many cooks ....

Modern project management theories state the best teams are self organising anyway. Don't see why that wouldn't translate to football anyway, plenty of anecdotes of great teams deciding tactics democratically in the dressing room.

It's not about tactics at all. It's about leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At least Xhaka, Coquelin, Ramsey, Wilshere are tougher midfielders than we've had in recent years. Hopefully this Mustafi guy has a presence about him. Mertesacker as captain just seems utterly bizarre to me. Hes out for a very long time and unless things go very adversely I'd expect him to not be first choice when he comes back (Gabriel or Mustafi really should be ahead of him by then). But then I'd struggle to pick a captain out of our current lot..

AdamD wrote: »
    At least Xhaka, Coquelin, Ramsey, Wilshere are tougher midfielders than we've had in recent years. Hopefully this Mustafi guy has a presence about him. Mertesacker as captain just seems utterly bizarre to me. Hes out for a very long time and unless things go very adversely I'd expect him to not be first choice when he comes back (Gabriel or Mustafi really should be ahead of him by then). But then I'd struggle to pick a captain out of our current lot..

True.
    I can imagine Mert shouting at a midfielder "Come on man, you have to be faster into the tackle than that" and then all the players turning around to look at him with smirks on their faces as they watch him trundle back into the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That captain thing is a load of nothing.

gosplan wrote: »
    That captain thing is a load of nothing.

No need to be so explicit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

L'equipe saying we've gone in with a 41 million euro bid for Mahrez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'm baffled that people don't realise the lack of leadership that has let us down on the pitch in recent years.

Noone there to give a bolocking to the players when they give away a stupid goal.

It's blatantly obvious it's what has been missing.

Every team needs a leader, someone to pick the team up especially the young players and get them going when times are tough.

Hello vieira, Adams.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I'm baffled that people don't realise the lack of leadership that has let us down on the pitch in recent years.

Noone there to give a bolocking to the players when they give away a stupid goal.

Every team needs a leader, someone to pick the team up especially the young players and get them going when times are tough.

Hello vieira, Adams.

We need more leaders yes. Nobody just buys in a "captain" though. They're not mutually inclusive.

We need more leaders yes. Nobody just buys in a "captain" though. They're not mutually inclusive.

Xhaka'a close. Good position, physical player, captain of BMgladbach at 21/22.

I just don't think it will make a difference to him this year whether Mert has an armband in the stands or not.

If you're a leader, you're a leader.

JustTheOne wrote: »

Hello vieira, Adams.

IMO we were missing mentally and physically tough players. Not so much about one guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

gosplan wrote: »
    IMO we were missing mentally and physically tough players. Not so much about one guy.

Yeah maybe. But in the absence of those players we need to someone to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I always believe a club captain should be an indespensible player in the starting XI. Mertesacker is not that. Kos should of been given the armband imo. One of the best central defenders in the game and is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Gnabry got another one in the Olympics today. Having a great tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Vermaelen has completed his loan deal to Roma. Good luck Tommie.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I always believe a club captain should be an indespensible player in the starting XI. Mertesacker is not that. Kos should of been given the armband imo. One of the best central defenders in the game and is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Yeah, Kos would make much more sense.

Hard to imagine he wasn't asked.

I just think it's one of those silly things that will be used as a stick to beat Wenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Koscielny to me, comes across as far too quiet to be captain material. So I can see why he didn't get the armband. Looking at our starting 11 for most games, we don't really have ideal candidates for the captaincy. Obviously with Mertesacker out for a while I don't think he should get the captaincy but, I don't think Wenger sees the captain as being that important, rightly or wrongly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement