Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

The reason I thought the Mertesacker announcement was weird was because I thought that he was announced ages ago, and Cazorla was an interim until he came back.

Didn't realise that Mert was never announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I always believe a club captain should be an indespensible player in the starting XI. Mertesacker is not that. Kos should of been given the armband imo. One of the best central defenders in the game and is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Kompany is a crock, Terry almost wasn't given a contract, Rooney is awful. There's our 3 main competitors not having an indispensible starting captain, so it clearly isn't taken that seriously.

As for Koscielny, he's a very quiet lad. At least Mertesacker is vocal, and there was that Ozil thing. Like, I don't really care, but who's better for it? Cech maybe, but he's only at the club a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I always believe a club captain should be an indespensible player in the starting XI. Mertesacker is not that. Kos should of been given the armband imo. One of the best central defenders in the game and is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Did I hear he doesn't want it?

Or didn't when asked few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This isn't rugby. The captain poses for pictures and shakes the refs hand and that it. I couldn't give a bollocks who it is. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Here we are the start of the season with a makeshift defence no proper striker available several injuries and next to nothing done in transfer market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Here we are the start of the season with a makeshift defence no proper striker available several injuries and next to nothing done in transfer market.

Now there's a real problem. Or four.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

And this is the real problem. Every point in the league counts, we are currently very understaffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Basil3 wrote: »
    The reason I thought the Mertesacker announcement was weird was because I thought that he was announced ages ago, and Cazorla was an interim until he came back.

Didn't realise that Mert was never announced.

Me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Nightshift done so I have today off to watch the match. Would be great to kick off the season with a win. Really looking forward to seen Xhaka and Elneny midfield with Ramsey playing in the attacking midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nightshift done so I have today off to watch the match. Would be great to kick off the season with a win. Really looking forward to seen Xhaka and Elneny midfield with Ramsey playing in the attacking midfield role.

Ditto here. Not finished till 8 though. Hope not for a repeat of the first televised game of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

New season starts today

Looking back at our last few opening day fixtures you can't be too confident

Christ wengers interview today

Even if he believes it, all he is doing is going to upset the majority of the fan base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hard to know how to feel about today. Obviously I want us to win, but I just know that if we get off to a good start this season Wenger's 3-year deal is announced and he'll feel vindicated in not buying anyone else.

New season starts today

Looking back at our last few opening day fixtures you can't be too confident

Did we beat Everton 4-0 on an opening day a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

6-1 Denilson with a screamer to open the scoring. Was at Goodison park too, but we haven't fared well on the opening day lately.

I'm thinking last season
    And the game against villa which I was at,
    Atmosphere was poisonous

Watch Klopp after the game massage and man manage their players psyche, Wenger will storm off down the tunnel.

Watch Klopp after the game massage and man manage their players psyche, Wenger will storm off down the tunnel.

Personally, I'll just watch the match, and not look for reasons to have a go at Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I'm gonna miss watching us today without this genius. We arent half as a good to watch without him

I'm gonna miss watching us today without this genius. We arent half as a good to watch without him

Best player in the league by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Best player in the league by a mile.

He's not the best player in the league but he is the best in his position.

De Gea is better than him and has won United more points in his time there than Ozil will at Arsenal.

Augero is better as well.

Probably not to many more in fairness though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He's not the best player in the league but he is the best in his position.

De Gea is better than him and has won United more points in his time there than Ozil will at Arsenal.

Augero is better as well.

Probably not to many more in fairness though.

De Gea is good but nobetter than Ozil

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Just passed Lee Dixon outside Piebury corner!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Elneny & Coq starting according to twitter people. (That dean guy that r/gunners seem to worship for some reason).

Dreading that lot scoring 3+ goals today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Elneny & Coq starting according to twitter people. (That dean guy that r/gunners seem to worship for some reason).

No Xhaka then? Really hope that's not true.......

Personally, I'll just watch the match, and avoid any reasons to have a go at Wenger.

Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think we're in for a tough day today just too many missing.

Could have coped with a bottom 10 team I think but any of the top 8 teams it's a big ask

The mind boggles with that starting 11. Atmosphere will be poisonous if we lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thats the best defence we could have gone with. No point dragging Monreal out of position and weakening two positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Smart team. Bit of protection in midfield for the defence. The Liverpool midfield looks extremely unbalanced and with Mignolet/Moreno/Lovren on the pitch we should really have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Thats the best defence we could have gone with. No point dragging Monreal out of position and weakening two positions.

We're already weakened in 2 positions and I'd argue that Monreal is better at centre back than Chambers and Holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    We're already weakened in 2 positions and I'd argue that Monreal is better at centre back than Chambers and Holding.

Perhaps but it's Monreal plus Gibbs vrs Holding plus Monreal.

I'm a big advocate of playing players on their best positions though. Monreal is a class LB and we have more CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

gosplan wrote: »
    Perhaps but it's Monreal plus Gibbs vrs Holding plus Monreal.

I'm a big advocate of playing players on their best positions though. Monreal is a class LB and we have more CBs.

Yeah Gibbs today probably wouldn't have been a great idea although my main concern is the lack of experience in our back 4. Holding is really getting fùcked in at the deep end.

Hopefully Coquelin and Elneny do the lads a favour.

The mind boggles with that starting 11. Atmosphere will be poisonous if we lose.

Indeed it will. An early goal for the 'Pool will be disastrous.

Of course it was very easily avoidable but for......... eh why bother.

Anyways time to put aside the negativity and get behind the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think we had to go with that team from the available selection.

Feels weird going into the first game of the season not looking forward to it.

Really not sure how this will go but my gut things we'll lose

Campbell didn't even make the bench. Poor lad.

Can't say I'm optimistic whatsoever but still great to be kicking off another season all the same.

Can't call this one but thank Christ we're at home.

Come on Arsenal......

I'm amazed by the respect being shown to Liverpool. Have they looked amazing in preseason or something? I realise they beat an undercooked Barca, but how were their other matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just back from playing great golf, so what's the team lads?

Feckin ridiculous that some of our players cannot play today.
    Stupid stupid decision to give them more time off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm amazed by the respect being shown to Liverpool. Have they looked amazing in preseason or something? I realise they beat an undercooked Barca, but how were their other matches?

Beaten by Chelsea 0-1, Roma 2-1 (should have been a draw, wrong offside given) and Mainz 5-0 (22 hours after Barca with a B team starting 11) five wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Xhaxa on front cover of programme but doesn't start. But club gave free programme to everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Feckin ridiculous that some of our players cannot play today.
    Stupid stupid decision to give them more time off.

I'm actually OK with that. It seems that Wenger is listening to what Shad and the medical staff say. Players are coming back slower but we're seeing less recurrences.

I've no doubt that a year or two back Wenger would have thrown Kos and Caz in.

It is rediculous that we're starting the year with an injury crisis though.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm actually OK with that. It seems that Wenger is listening to what Shad and the medical staff say. Players are coming back slower but we're seeing less recurrences.

I've no doubt that a year or two back Wenger would have thrown Kos and Caz in.

It is rediculous that we're starting the year with an injury crisis though.

Did any other team give their players more time off though?

Only one defender on our bench. That's a bit of a worry.

And it's on!

Holding and chambers play together for England u21s. That could be important today.

Unlucky Ramsey. Great move.

Rubbish penalty by Walcott.

Oh dear.....Walcott

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement