Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, Wenger and Pellegrini have 9 and 10 games respectively to save the spending argument. I suppose the one silver lining of Leicester or Spurs winning the league that we wouldn’t have to hear it again for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well, Wenger and Pellegrini have 9 and 10 games respectively to save the spending argument. I suppose the one silver lining of Leicester or Spurs winning the league that we wouldn’t have to hear it again for a while.

I'm not sure that 1 year in God knows how many disproves the spending argument. What Leicester have done, and to a lesser degree Spurs, has been exceptional. I really think normal service will be resumed next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

greendom wrote: »
    I'm not sure that 1 year in God knows how many disproves the spending argument. What Leicester have done, and to a lesser degree Spurs, has been exceptional. I really think normal service will be resumed next season

Well yeah, It really does. It shows that It can be done. Don't get me wrong If Leicester win the league I highly doubt they'll win It again next year but It does prove that you don't NEED to be spending millions and millions on players to build a world class team capable of winning titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well yeah, It really does. It shows that It can be done. Don't get me wrong If Leicester win the league I highly doubt they'll win It again next year but It does prove that you don't NEED to be spending millions and millions on players to build a world class team capable of winning titles.

?

It proves it can be done, what, once in ten years?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    ?

It proves it can be done, what, once in ten years?

Yes, very good. It could be done 9 times In 10 years but It wasn't. It's possible and that's the point, sorry It doesn't fit your narrative.

• Advertisement

Yes, very good. It could be done 9 times In 10 years but It wasn't. It's possible and that's the point, sorry It doesn't fit your narrative.

By narrative, you mean looking at the league for the last ten years? Is that it?

It's probably also worth pointing out that Leicester haven't actually won anything yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Haven't Spurs spent a good bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sunderland have signed Emmanuel Eboue until the end of the season. Good luck Eboue.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35764416

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Anyone who doesn't see that Leicester or Spurs winning the league is shameful to all the so called top clubs is fooling themselves.

Chelsea, City and Utd have won titles in recent years so they get a pass this season. Pool have a new manager so they get a pass too. That leaves us......what would our excuse be?

• Advertisement

Try telling anyone in Ligue 1 that!

Have you read Soccernomics? I suggest you give it a read. This season has been incredible, miraculous even. If they manage to win iteven more so.

But the basic facts of the matter are that money is incredibly important in winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

DenMan wrote: »
    Sunderland have signed Emmanuel Eboue until the end of the season. Good luck Eboue.

Looking forward to seeing him back in the league. Used to be a favourite of mine, although he could be a liability he could be a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing him back in the league. Used to be a favourite of mine, although he could be a liability he could be a joy to watch.

Arsenal go to Sunderland on April 24 I see.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/arsenal/fixtures

DenMan wrote: »

For old times sake :D

NGma6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

For old times sake :D

NGma6.gif
    That's the funniest thing I've seen on the internet in weeks. Brilliant.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Why?

Just cause we beat a Championship side in a Replay, all whats gone before has been forgiven. 8 points behind the leaders who haven't spend nearly the money we have in the past few years and were relegation fodder last season plus in a year our biggest threats have slipped up.

Defeats to below par teams in the PL, tactically we are rubbish and are so easy to read (put ten men behind the ball and hit us on the break). Lack of signings and excuses from our glorious manager who is living on his past glories. Also putting out second string sides in the CL to have us struggle to finish second and get Barca. We could go on and on with the mess ups our club have gone through the last few years. The Fa Cup wins only have covered over the cracks.

Fair play to the guys holding up the banner, we need change if we want to be up there with the likes of Barca and Bayern even Chelsea and City.

I agree completely and while it wasnt nice for Ian Wright to get online abuse after all he done for us, Im not against the 'Thank you Arsene but time to leave' banner. There is no use being a hypocrite or fickle, we have been absolutely disgraceful the past 6 weeks.

I dont buy this 'get everything off the chest' players meeting Walcott was shíteing on about either. We hardly barnstormed from the first whistle last night and Walcott was very ordinary until Giroud got the second and Hull more or less gave up. The fact we took the lead was as much to do with a careless mistake from Meyler then our own perseverance.

The club needs a shake up and new ideas and no better time to embrace them then this summer. We are pretty much dead and buried in the league, and champions league and even the cup shouldnt save Wenger this year. Matter of fact i dont even think he should stay if we do pull off the league because im frankly sick of watching players stroll around the field with no urgency when there is a league to be won. The club needs a rocket up their arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh Eboue.

It seemed like we were all supposed to love him, but I could never stand him: He was just so useless. All the zany antics could never help me to forget how much it annoyed me that he was anywhere near the team in the first place.

Arghus wrote: »
    Oh Eboue.

It seemed like we were all supposed to love him, but I could never stand him: He was just so useless. All the zany antics could never help me to forget how much it annoyed me that he was anywhere near the team in the first place.

Himself and Gervinho almost symbolise the mediocre years dont they? (not that they've ground to a sudden halt ) Along with Chamakh, Squillachi, Senderos, Bendtner,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I liked Eboue, seemed a good character although he was clearly never up to the standard required. Probably one of the lowest nights as an Arsenal fan the night they booed him off the field when he was substituted against Wigan, he was playing poor but he didnt deserve that

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    I liked Eboue, seemed a good character although he was clearly never up to the standard required. Probably one of the lowest nights as an Arsenal fan the night they booed him off the field when he was substituted against Wigan, he was playing poor but he didnt deserve that

And it genuinely upset the lad tbf. Its not as if he wasnt trying he was just short of what is required. And no way should he have been scapegoated. he's a human being at the end of the day

And it genuinely upset the lad tbf. Its not as if he wasnt trying he was just short of what is required. And no way should he have been scapegoated. he's a human being at the end of the day

Fans can be so fickle

wonga77 wrote: »

The time he gave the latest ever peno to let Liverpool draw with us was one of the angriest I've ever been with a player.

The time the sneaky bugger broke a bone in John Terry's foot was good.

Don't care if that's not sporting.

That lad Rabiot who banged one in against Chelsea tonight, we were linked with him weren't we. He'd be good.

Am I asking for trouble if I suggest we really could have done with a Fabregas this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The time he gave the latest ever peno to let Liverpool draw with us was one of the angriest I've ever been with a player.

YES.

I cringe whenever I hear people singing about him or see them wearing t-shirts emblazoned with his face. I'm sure he was a lovely lad and all and everyone feels bad about the booing incident, but that time against Liverpool.... Remember your rage? Do you remember that RAGE!!

Only Eboue...

I'd rather give my reverence to someone who was a completely unliked reprobate, but who always got the job done on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I really liked Eboue when he first arrived, he was instrumental at right back in his early years. I think he played right back in every game in our Champions League run in 06 where we didn't concede a single goal in the knockout stages apart from the final. Ironically Flamini was our left back in that run too.

Eboue wasn't great defensively of course and that penalty he gave away against Liverpool as mentioned was just a stupid brainless thing to do.

What really irked me about Eboue though, was when Wenger started playing him as a right winger. He clearly wasn't good enough to be playing there and it smacked as a cheap solution by Wenger, square-peg in round holes. Used to infuriate me when Wenger played him there instead of buying a proper wide right player. Wasn't Eboues fault he was playing there, just an example of some of the strange things that Wenger used to do.

Edit: looking at the above clip, looks like a really soft penalty award and Kuyt went down very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Himself and Gervinho almost symbolise the mediocre years dont they? (not that they've ground to a sudden halt ) Along with Chamakh, Squillachi, Senderos, Bendtner,

+1 I hated the sight of them all but Eboue whinds me up.

Completely useless. Delighted the day he left the club.
    Sh*t player, acted like an idiot and done nothing only collect a paycheque he didnt deserve.

Sunderland must be truely ****ed.

• Advertisement

One advantage of Chelsea losing last night is that they won't have the distraction of Europe and I think they have to play all our rivals before the end of the season.

I still laugh when I see the poster covering the hole in the wall I made in my mate's gaff that time. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Guess Mahrez has the Barca DNA now :D

I still laugh when I see the poster covering the hole in the wall I made in my mate's gaff that time. :p

My equivalent was the hole I put in the plasterboard in my old house when Wayne Bridge (Wayne f*ckin Bridge! JESUS!) scored against us in the CL.

You guys need anger management classes lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

mansize wrote: »

Maybe we could get Coquelin to join in.

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »

Probably.

The angriest I've ever been was the day i heard Cesc had signed for Chelsea.

Didn't punch anything that day, but I couldn't actually speak to anyone so i had to leave work and just come home and sit out the back on my own. Still makes me f*ckin sick, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We lose 8-2 to United and Traore walks off the pitch laughing. If I was his team mate that day I would have punched him.

So, i suppose it makes sense to want to keep Totteham busy in Europe?

They're kinda knackered already, more games for 'em, that's what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

What's the deal with the weekend? 2 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

What's the deal with the weekend? 2 games?

EPL game against West Brom will be rescheduled.

most of the games were postponed due to EPL clubs still in the FA cup.

you can see the schedule here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Augme wrote: »
    More funny moments, as already mentioned in the last few psots.

Never a penalty imo. L'pool player ran into him.

Never a penalty imo. L'pool player ran into him.

I still maintain It was a dive, went over like a sack of potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

As with the babel one too in the cl.

In that game kuyt blatantly pulled back hleb in the box and we got nothing.

We do get some bad decisions against them.

Had a face like a sack of potatoes.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    As with the babel one too in the cl.

In that game kuyt blatantly pulled back hleb in the box and we got nothing.

We do get some bad decisions against them.

Don't forget Stefan Henchoz making an actual save in the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Utd looking sh*te tonight. Still Hard to comprehend how we lost to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Arsene still fears utd which leads to the team fearing utd which leads to getting beat by them even though they've turned to sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We don't believe we can beat them at Old Trafford.

Arsene still fears utd which leads to the team fearing utd which leads to getting beat by them even though they've turned to sh!te.

Im not sure fear comes into it. We just get our tactics absolutely tits up against them. This slow tempo bullshít is not going to work in a bear pit such as Anfield or Old Trafford where the 12th man plays a huge part for the home side. We need physical players who will compete within reason of course. im not saying gung ho, but take the sting out of the old trafford crowd.

To be fair we hadn't the best record at or Anfield in the earlier Wenger days or the latter days with George. At old trafford, ok we did win twice against a super United team (98 and 02) and draw twice (99 and 00) with the disastrous 6-1 drubbing sandwiched in between(01) in but from 2002 onwards we havent had the best record there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If we progress in the FA cup and get to face them, we will probably be exactly the same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement