Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Genuine question: is there anyone left who thinks wenger is the right man ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If your job was to get a project ready for a certain date and you had adequate resources to complete it and yet when the due date came around and you were woefully unprepared for it you'd most likely be sacked.

Wenger had to get the side ready for the premier league, clearly the club is very wealthy and he has resources at his disposal. And yet again he hasn't made the moves to strengthen the team where we know it needs to be improved. But this time it's even worse than usual. We were totally blown away today, don't let the consolation goals fool us. Woefully unprepared. In any other organisation he'd be under pressure from his boss but here his boss doesn't give a ****e either!

Great post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

wawaman wrote: »

Silent Stan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is Campbell injured or why was he not in the squad today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

There's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on at this stage!

There can't be many who have any confidence that he can deliver a successful season and continue on into the 2017-18 season. The elephant in the room is the owner though. Something needs to change significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Today Wenger, by his own comments, started

Our best winger as a striker for only the second or third time (Sanchez)
    A guy who shouldn't play on the wing on the wing (Walcott)
    A CMF in the no 10 role for the first time (Rambo)
    This season's 5th and 6th choice CBs
    And just for the craic we played the guy we bought for virtually nothing and left our big summer signing on the bench

How is it so badly organised?

Clear as ****ing mud that team should have gone

Xhaka - Rambo
    Ox - Caz - Sanchez
    Walcott

We are missing from this game (if Wenger is being truthful about signing an attacker and defender)

Our first 2 strikers. Our two best creative players. Our 4 best CBs. And Jack just for the laugh.

That's like Liverpool without Sturridge, Mane, Coutinho, Fermino and 4 CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

No, even if he had a few more world class players in the squad I don't think he's up to it from a tactical perspective, nor do I think he can get the best out of his players anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Wenger is an analogue in a world of digital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

I have only posted on here a couple of times before but i have to rant.
    I am from North London (Holloway road) born and bred, grew up going to Arsenal until i moved over here 15 years ago,only getting over to a game a handful of times since living here. In all those years i never walked out on a game or turned the TV off no matter how bad its been the 8-2s the 6-0s, your club is your club. I was a staunch Wenger fan but today is the lowest i can recall feeling about Arsenal
    The losing i can take but this never ending groundhog day is killing me.
    The new blood we need isn't just a couple of players on the pitch, it has to be from top down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What is absolutely amazing to me is that there would be absolutely no shame in letting Wenger go, or in him walking away.

His job when he arrived was to change the culture of the club and get the club winning again. The board obviously saw him as someone ahead of the curve in terms of sports science and trusting youth, so he was hired, and the club reaped the rewards.

His job then until a couple of years ago (for the previous decade or so) was blatantly to keep the club in the Champions League at the minimum cost while the stadium was built. He did that.

Wenger's skillsets suited both those jobs.

In an era, now, where the league is awash with money, where clubs all over the place are spending big to get success, and where it's no longer still a virtue to resist spending cash, because if you do you'll get left behind...Wenger is not a man for that environment. That is not his skillset. It never has been and it never will be.

What's needed for a job changes. Arsenal need a manager with a skillset that suits the job at hand. That's nothing for Wenger to be ashamed of. He'll go down as a legend regardless.

Unfortunately for you guys, Wenger is too proud, and the Board don't give a toss.

I was laughing with bemusement at long balls being kicked up to Sanchez.
    We are and have been for quite some time, a team that looks like it's patched up with leftovers and told "just do anything you can".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ezekel wrote: »
    I have only posted on here a couple of times before but i have to rant.
    I am from North London (Holloway road) born and bred, grew up going to Arsenal until i moved over here 15 years ago,only getting over to a game a handful of times since living here. In all those years i never walked out on a game or turned the TV off no matter how bad its been the 8-2s the 6-0s, your club is your club. I was a staunch Wenger fan but today is the lowest i can recall feeling about Arsenal
    The losing i can take but this never ending groundhog day is killing me.
    The new blood we need isn't just a couple of players on the pitch, it has to be from top down.

I used to drink in the Cock Tavern, the Archway Tavern and The Half Moon in the early 70's when we had a team and a manager who cared about the club.
    Loved Holloway Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I hope he heard the singing "spend the ****ing money" at 4-1. He's deaf otherwise. He lost a lot of his faltering supporters today.

And the glaring need for a central defender and a striker were highlighted today.

And why not start Xhaka? Was he trying to make some idiotic point?

Today was a complete and utter shambles. What other top team scores 3 at home and still loses. A shambles.

I used to drink in the Cock Tavern, the Archway Tavern and The Half Moon in the early 70's when we had a team and a manager who cared about the club.
    Loved Holloway Road.

Lol Many great nights in the Tavern all them pubs gone the way AFC have rebranded and souless

• Advertisement

I was laughing with bemusement at long balls being kicked up to Sanchez.
    We are and have been for quite some time, a team that looks like it's patched up with leftovers and told "just do anything you can".

One of the reasons why you need a strong captain to call out those who played the stupid balls. Yet some lads think that a captain's role is to call the toss of a coin.

I already mentally checked out from this season. I'm looking forward to May 2017 and hoping that we'll have a different manger by the start of the 17/18 season.

Everything regarding Wenger's situation and why he should leave has been posted in here many times over the years. We could easily quote ourselves and stop posting new stuff. It's pointless and tiring.

Getting angry at our transfer policy, team selection, attitude, our style of play etc. is futile. You must be deluded or an opposition fan to still want Arsene Wenger to manage Arsenal. He is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

This campaign is going to be like the others have been in recent years: predictable, frustrating and mediocre.

One of the reasons why you need a strong captain to call out those who played the stupid balls. Yet some lads think that a captain's role is to call the toss of a coin.

A very long time since we had one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Like us all, very frustrated. Contemplated not posting for fear of getting banned for an over the top comment.

There's only a couple of things that can turn this on its head. A top class striker, CB and a RW, or a change of manager.

I'm so very distraught at the way this new season has progressed. Very upset.. But it's only sport. Just Heard of a buddy who's dad died tonight. That's something to get genuinely upset about, not this football rubbishy!

Putting myself through the torture of watching Match of the Day.
    Cech was poor for the second Pool goal.
    Chambers for a few of them. You're allowed to challenge son.

• Advertisement

Putting myself through the torture of watching Match of the Day.
    Cech was poor for the second Pool goal.
    Chambers for a few of them. You're allowed to challenge son.

Man, why do that to yourself FFS. Once was bad enough! Put on the olympics or something!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Man, why do that to yourself FFS. Once was bad enough! Put on the olympics or something!

I'm a match-ochist it seems.

100%
    Listening to the skysport anti Arsenal brigade post match analysis was bad enough, i couldn't listen to the MOTD boys as well or rewatch the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

ezekel wrote: »
    100%
    Listening to the skysport anti Arsenal brigade post match analysis was bad enough, i couldn't listen to the MOTD boys as well or rewatch the match

But they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wenger has his faults and this season should be his last

But as was said already the elephant in the room is Stan,
    We can move on Wenger but while Stan remains were at nothing

Wenger has his faults and this season should be his last

But as was said already the elephant in the room is Stan,
    We can move on Wenger but while Stan remains were at nothing

I agree Stan K is a huge part of the problem, but while I love Arsene for what he's done for us, if he really cared about this club and was not being a yes man, he'd step down if he felt that Stan wasn't giving us a fair crack of the whip.

I think I need counselling. :-(

I agree Stan K is a huge part of the problem, but while I love Arsene for what he's done for us, if he really cared about this club and was not being a yes man, he'd step down if he felt that Stan wasn't giving us a fair crack of the whip.

That's exactly how I feel too. Has he become one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As I said last year the longer Wenger hangs on now the more he tarnishes his legacy. If the club was run by a proper board Wenger would have been replaced by now. Instead the club is being used as a financial vehicle by an absentee landlord. It is obvious that there is absolutely no interest in competing from a football perspective at all. Once we make the CL every year it's deemed a successful season for the board.

At this stage I am sick of it. No actually last year I was sick of it. Now it's just bordering on self abuse.

Matters in Croke Park to attend to today guys but not surprised with the result across the pond. Financially we have loads of money but on the pitch they are dead only to wash them.
    I had the sick feeling the Pool would fill their boots and do that they surely did. The 4th goal was scandalous. I seen Oxlade chamberlain let a lad off again today. The likes of this waster should be chucked out the gate if we were a club serious about results.....were not though and our manager and board are leading this shambles from the top. Holding will be ruined over that performance today. it will set him back just as the 8-2 setback Jenkinson back in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Think everyone needs to chill the **** out a bit.

Today was a bad day but it was the first game. If we're still like this after ten then rant away. I get the anger and frustration but there's no need for the level of hysteria that's going on. Other fans must get a great laugh of this forum sometimes.

The first Liverpool goal was a free that no one would have saved from a player diving. Before that we looked very good with the players we put out. The centre backs were at fault for the next few goals but that was to be expected for their first run out together. We can blame the management but having two injuries is unlucky and resting players now is the right call. It's a long season ahead. To be positive we looked very good at times putting pressure on and showed great heart. The rest of the players will be back soon and then onwards and upwards.

I see a lot of people saying that wenger hasn't changed with the way football has. He hasn't but when you look at the top clubs around us they have all lost a part of their identity because of it. Whether through money or managers they have. We haven't sold our soul and are still the great club we always have been.
    I agree completely that Stan is the wrong guy in charge but appreciate anyone working under that system.

Rant over. Come on arsenal.

• Advertisement

Today was a bad day but it was the first game. If we're still like this after ten then rant away. I get the anger and frustration but there's no need for the level of hysteria that's going on. Other fans must get a great laugh of this forum sometimes.

The first Liverpool goal was a free that no one would have saved from a player diving. Before that we looked very good with the players we put out.
    The centre backs were at fault for the next few goals but that was to be expected for their first run out together. We can blame the management but having two injuries is unlucky and resting players now is the right call. It's a long season ahead. To be positive we looked very good at times putting pressure on and showed great heart. The rest of the players will be back soon and then onwards and upwards.

I see a lot of people saying that wenger hasn't changed with the way football has. He hasn't but when you look at the top clubs around us they have all lost a part of their identity because of it. Whether through money or managers they have. We haven't sold our soul and are still the great club we always have been.
    I agree completely that Stan is the wrong guy in charge but appreciate anyone working under that system.

Therein lies the on-pitch issue, 1-1 and we collapsed. This team is mentally weak and not brave enough....bulit in our managers image really.

Watched theos botched penalty again. He shouldn't be taking penalties full stop but apart from Elneyney not one arsenal player was running in after it for a possible rebound. It's just another reason to believe there really isn't anyone in charge telling players what they should be doing. Statues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Theo is fine when it's instinctive and he doesn't have time to think. Set pieces should be a no no for him.

Theo is fine when it's instinctive and he doesn't have time to think. Set pieces should be a no no for him.

Lets be frank and honest for once on this thread....what gobshíte let him take a penalty? :mad:

I'm his biggest critic but he was ok today. Seems to have some confidence back. Running at players etc. But yeah. No set pieces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lets be frank and honest for once on this thread....what gobshíte let him take a penalty? :mad:

Said it in the match thread. Of all the players...

We're not good at penalties really, I remember Sanchez, Cazorla, Ozil missing a few. Probably another symptom of ze mental strength. Giroud is very good at them funnily enough. Give them to Cech at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It's quite remarkable how Arsene has managed to become such a hated figure at a club he became a legend at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Give them to Cech at this rate.

Naw he'd hit the post!

Ok I'll get my coat now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can't understand why Alexis wasn't bursting to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I'm his biggest critic but he was ok today. Seems to have some confidence back. Running at players etc. But yeah. No set pieces!

Honestly don't remember him actual taking and beating anyone, scored his goal and went out of the game, but in fairness everyone did after our first goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

"this team is mentally very strong, determined to fight and they have shown that again today"... The man is completely delusional and has lost most of the fans. It's very sad really

Pudders wrote: »
    And why not start Xhaka? Was he trying to make some idiotic point?

Tbf, Xhaka was rubbish when he came on.

Interesting to see if Payet will play tomorrow for WH.

I could be wrong, but Payet played 46 matches last season.

Kos: 54
    Ozil: 56
    Giroud: 65!

Players need a break, you can't perform at your peak indefinitely. I'd rather look at the bigger picture.

The first Liverpool goal was a free that no one would have saved from a player diving. Before that we looked very good with the players we put out. The centre backs were at fault for the next few goals but that was to be expected for their first run out together. We can blame the management but having two injuries is unlucky and resting players now is the right call. It's a long season ahead. To be positive we looked very good at times putting pressure on and showed great heart. The rest of the players will be back soon and then onwards and upwards.

I get what you're saying. It is a long season, it's only one match and all that.

But we conceded 4 goals in about 16 minutes yesterday. We did so because of issues with the defence and a lack of confidence IMO. No team with title aspirations in any of Europe's big leagues will concede 4 goals in quarter of an hour this year.

Arseblog made the good point this morning. It just doesn't make sense to start the season like that. Why didn't we do anything about it.

I'm as optimistic as anyone. We can go on a run no problem. But I need someone to explain to me WHY we had to start the season like that.

Why do we have a board saying 'we can sign anyone', 'no no no we can't compete with the big boys'. A manager making bids of 40,000,001 for one player or 39 million after West Ham's bid of 45 was turned down for another.

What exactly are we trying to achieve? It's just so nonsensical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Is arsene Wenger losing it or is he covering up for owners who are taking money out of club?
    Its one or the other or both

• Advertisement

Is arsene Wenger losing it or is he covering up for owners who are taking money out of club?
    Its one or the other or both

I think it might be rank stubbornness leading to incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

It's quite remarkable how Arsene has managed to become such a hated figure at a club he became a legend at.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Should see a competely different 11 next week

Cech
    Bellerin. Mustafi. Kos. Monreal
    Xahaka. Elneny
    Walcott. Ozil. Sanchez
    Giroud

Hopefully our season gets going there

Still pîssed off he threw away them points yesterday though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mustafi?

• Advertisement