Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

wonga77 wrote: »
    Mustafi?

Will be completed early this week according to everyone

Have to go straight into the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Should see a competely different 11 next week

Cech
    Bellerin. Mustafi. Kos. Monreal
    Xahaka. Elneny
    Walcott. Ozil. Sanchez
    Giroud

Hopefully our season gets going there

Still pîssed off he threw away them points yesterday though

Walcott out Ox in

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We routinely have people saying "judge after ten games", "judge after the transfer window closes" etc every single year. There's a clear pattern that's been observable for a long, long time now and to be honest if you're calling for more time to make judgement then it's you who isn't seeing the bigger picture, not those are sick to death of the same old.

It's almost funny how badly prepared we were yesterday. A lot of it was down to Wenger's ineptitude in the transfer market but there's plenty visibly wrong elsewhere. Our defensive shape was all over the place and even when dominating ball in the first half, any time Liverpool got the ball they'd have a 2v1 on our full backs and look dangerous. Most teams struggle for fluency on the opening day so they make sure they're organised; that's not Wengers style though.

Fitness wise out players were completely ****ed after about 70 minutes. Also I saw Chambers and Holding get blamed but Monreal and Bellerin were dreadful too. As were Iwobi and Walcott in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We routinely have people saying "judge after ten games", "judge after the transfer window closes" etc every single year. There's a clear pattern that's been observable for a long, long time now and to be honest if you're calling for more time to make judgement then it's you who isn't seeing the bigger picture, not those are sick to death of the same old.

It's almost funny how badly prepared we were yesterday. A lot of it was down to Wenger's ineptitude in the transfer market but there's plenty visibly wrong elsewhere. Our defensive shape was all over the place and even when dominating ball in the first half, any time Liverpool got the ball they'd have a 2v1 on our full backs and look dangerous. Most teams struggle for fluency on the opening day so they make sure they're organised; that's not Wengers style though.

Fitness wise out players were completely ****ed after about 70 minutes. Also I saw Chambers and Holding get blamed but Monreal and Bellerin were dreadful too. As were Iwobi and Walcott in front of them.

Midfield gave up defending in second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And I know we don't see everything that happens in training but there's no rational explanation for Sanchez up front and Walcott on the wing.

A makeshift defence is one thing but our best attacking players (Sanchez, Walcott, Ramsey) were all in brand new positions, or in Walcott's place, a position he's not suited to, according to Wenger himself.

And what's with Rambo as no 10 anyway? Is Wenger now, utilising all his football knowhow and superior insight to basically copy what Chris Coleman does for Wales. Ramsey's been at the club forever and NOW Wenger decides he's an option at no10? Wasn't Iwobi there last season for a match and Ramsey on the wing?

In the last match of last season that formation would have gone...

Ramsey - Iwobi - Sanchez
    Walcott

Now in our next competitive match it goes...

Walcott - Ramsey - Iwobi
    Sanchez

What's the plan here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

wawaman wrote: »

I think thats a bit harsh to be honest. He screwed up massively yesterday and goodness knows I want him to leave, but that article is just bile.

It's not that bad lads, -1 point on corresponding fixtures just.

Gonna win the league dead easy.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I think thats a bit harsh to be honest. He screwed up massively yesterday and goodness knows I want him to leave, but that article is just bile.
    He's been at it for years tbh. Someone mentioned Jenkinson, Wenger is happy enough to throw players into matches they have no business being in and then shrugs and says they're not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

What was his alternative?

We all have the benefit of hindsight or knowing our suggestion can't be disproved as it is only ever hypothetical.

Not many were predicting a win.

4 is embarrassing but we lost by only one goal.

Keep calm and carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He's been at it for years tbh. Someone mentioned Jenkinson, Wenger is happy enough to throw players into matches they have no business being in and then shrugs and says they're not good enough.

I agree. For Wenger to say only last Sunday that the team was physically ready, and then to say the opposite yesterday, is unforgivable. For the team to be so hopelessly unprepared is shocking management and beyond amateur. As regular posters will know I've wanted him gone for a very long time exactly because of days like yesterday, where the same mistakes are repeated season on season.

That article is just hate filled nonsense though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

mansize wrote: »

The reality is that we were well beaten, the scoreline suggests it was a lot closer than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In the second half? Well beaten sure. But the first half was Arsenal's tbh. If that freekick doesnt go in on 45 minutes....its a very different half time team talk.

Okay, it did go in. But i think its important not to be dramatic. Liverpool didnt destroy Arsenal....they had a very good spell in the second half and scored a bunch of goals. It happens.

wawaman wrote: »

He's no coward. He's hugely principled and steadfast. Wenger has a massive amount of guts to stick it out his way.

His way may just not be correct.

He does throw players under the bus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The article might be harsh but alot of it is true. His players, his tactics and his preparation. You can't just turn around after and say the players arent ready yet, its a cop out and people see through that. the truth is that the fans arent listening to him anymore because it's the same scripted speech before and after every game. Good mentality, great desire blah blah blah. How does anyone expect the players to listen to him

We all have the benefit of hindsight or knowing our suggestion can't be disproved as it is only ever hypothetical.

Keep calm and carry on

It's not the result, it's the preparation.

It's not losing to Liverpool, it's not doing everything you can to win.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arseblog really hit the nail on the head today about the club's transfer practices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Keep calm and carry on

To buy a CB when Mertesacker got injured 4 weeks ago? To cut short Koscielny's holiday break, like Sagna at City?

He put himself in this situation through overly generous Euro breaks for players and his usual transfer dithering.

gosplan wrote: »
    He's no coward. He's hugely principled and steadfast. Wenger has a massive amount of guts to stick it out his way.

His way may just not be correct.

He does throw players under the bus though.

No, he's a coward and his 'principles' are frozen in time. He chooses to 'stick it out his way' because it only leaves him accountable to finishing in top 4. If he spent over 100m he would actually need to live up to new expectations of challenging for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

To buy a CB when Mertesacker got injured 4 weeks ago? To cut short Koscielny's holiday break, like Sagna at City?

He put himself in this situation through overly generous Euro breaks for players and his usual transfer dithering.

Kos played a lot more matches than Sagna last season. Also Wenger has fitness experts on the payroll advising him on how best to manage his players.

If he had brought him back yesterday and then got injured for 3 months would it have been worth it - even supposing it would have resulted in a win yesterday ?

Xhaka was also only used sparingly in pre-season and probably the reason why he didn't start yesterday. Again probably down to the fitness experts.

greendom wrote: »
    Kos played a lot more matches than Sagna last season. Also Wenger has fitness experts on the payroll advising him on how best to manage his players.

If he had brought him back yesterday and then got injured for 3 months would it have been worth it - even supposing it would have resulted in a win yesterday ?

Xhaka was also only used sparingly in pre-season and probably the reason why he didn't start yesterday. Again probably down to the fitness experts.

Sagna played one more game than Kos last season.

A CB pairing of Chambers and Holding should have never happened. We sacrificed an entire game based on that partnership.

It's incredible that we still haven't signed a CB. How can we not get the Mustafi deal done when Valencia are having him train separately from the squad and are desperate to sell?

Sagna played one more game than Kos last season.

A CB pairing of Chambers and Holding should have never happened. We sacrificed an entire game based on that partnership.

It's incredible that we still haven't signed a CB. How can we not get the Mustafi deal done when Valencia are having him train separately from the squad and are desperate to sell?

Transfer dealings are a mess and I won't begin to defend those.

Apologies on Sagna and Koscielny appearances - I was just looking at league fixtures. Still the point holds thst Wenger has been advised to give Koscielny a proper rest after the league campaign and Euros.

Why has the league started so early this season?

There is no major tournament next Summer and the season is starting earlier than last when there was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Look at the team yesterday around the 70 minute mark and then tell me how good you think these "fitness experts" are.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Look at the team yesterday around the 70 minute mark and then tell me how good you think these "fitness experts" are.

True. I hope we haven't fallen into the trap like Chelsea last season when the team were undercooked for the start of the season and never really recovered

No, he's a coward and his 'principles' are frozen in time. He chooses to 'stick it out his way' because it only leaves him accountable to finishing in top 4. If he spent over 100m he would actually need to live up to new expectations of challenging for the title.

A coward you'll find quickly abandons his principles to sooth the baying masses

He is no coward

• Advertisement

Brexit campaign of easy answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

True. I hope we haven't fallen into the trap like Chelsea last season when the team were undercooked for the start of the season and never really recovered
    I think Chelsea's biggest problem last year that their confidence got shattered really quickly, and then they lost their 'fear factor' against other teams. Teams traveling to the Bridge, suddenly believed they could get a result. I think Wenger is clever enough not to let it get that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I think Chelsea's biggest problem last year that their confidence got shattered really quickly, and then they lost their 'fear factor' against other teams. Teams traveling to the Bridge, suddenly believed they could get a result. I think Wenger is clever enough not to let it get that bad.

That happend a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Teams don't fear coming to The Emirates, As a matter of fact even when teams are 2 v 0 or 3 v 0 down at The Emirates they are still not afraid and think that they can get something out of the match.

I think it all started with the late return to pre-season. Everything followed from that. Although the mess with the doctor could easily have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm not even mad, i'm quite sad this charade has been allowed to go on for so long and i'm starting to think maybe I can't watch another 37 performances like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I had a horrible feeling yesterday when I was watching the match...I wasn't bothered. For the first time in nearly 30 years supporting The Arsenal I wasn't bothered that we were losing. I still don't understand why my interest has wained so much from the hope I had at the start of this summer but knowing we were going into a match against a rival with two young centrebacks had me dumbfounded. I just felt like the result was already decided before the game kicked off.
    I have lost my excitement and it's a horrible feeling.

So mustafi has pulled out of the deal.
    Nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

FixitFelix wrote: »
    So mustafi has pulled out of the deal.
    Nice!!

Seen the rumours alright.

He probably watched the game yesterday and thought no thanks.....

omega man wrote: »

Seems now sky Germany saying its still on, best off going asleep until the window is closed ha

omega man wrote: »

He don't fancy babysitting rookies obviously. Absolutely disgraceful mismanagement of young players by Wenger. he is indefensible at this stage. And the Euros excuse is pathetic. Plenty of teams had players at the euros.

Im finding it very hard to even like the man anymore although that said we have tossers in directorship and ownership.

He don't fancy babysitting rookies obviously. Absolutely disgraceful mismanagement of young players by Wenger. he is indefensible at this stage. And the Euros excuse is pathetic. Plenty of teams had players at the euros.

Im finding it very hard to even like the man anymore although that said we have tossers in directorship and ownership.

Yeah, I can imagine why a top CB wouldn't want to come to a club because their 5th and 6th choice CB's are young :rolleyes:

I can't see us paying the money for Mustafi. Genuinely think the only way we end up buying anyone is if we end up with 1 point from Leicester and Watford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We lost our fear factor around 9 years ago. Teams love playing us. Defensively fragile and offensively very average. Dont give me the "missing 3 first team centre backs bollox" because we defended like a schoolboy team more times than not last season with our strongest backline. We made a poor Zagreb team look like Barcelona last season with what could be only described as "shambolic" defending. No wonder Bouldy has no hair left watching us defend as a unit.

We still have till the September 1st to make the right signings. I'm not writing the season off just yet. (maybe because I didn't get to see the game yesterday!)

• Advertisement

We still have till the September 1st to make the right signings. I'm not writing the season off just yet. (maybe because I didn't get to see the game yesterday!)

Damage will be already done by then. It makes perfect sense to get the transfers done early in the summer and give the new arrivals time to bed in and have a pre season with the team under the belt. Team selection was bizarre yesterday as well. Santi Cazorla sitting on the bench with Walcott and Iwobi getting the nod ahead of him. Xhaka should of started also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Damage will be already done by then. It makes perfect sense to get the transfers done early in the summer and give the new arrivals time to bed in and have a pre season with the team under the belt. Team selection was bizarre yesterday as well. Santi Cazorla sitting on the bench with Walcott and Iwobi getting the nod ahead of him. Xhaka should of started also.

Ah now, Walcott and Cazorla don't play even remotely the same position. He played decently too, for once.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I can imagine why a top CB wouldn't want to come to a club because their 5th and 6th choice CB's are young :rolleyes:

I can imagine why he wouldn't want to join a club mismanaged to the point of relying on their 5th & 6th choice CBs while having no striker available in the opening game of a season when it could have been easily preventable.

Arsene said Santi wouldn't be ready. Xhaka played very little of pre-season too.

yes of course it makes perfect sense and there needs to be a serious look at why the transfer window was so poorly managed again. Still chance for it to be rectified though.

yes of course it makes perfect sense and there needs to be a serious look at why the transfer window was so poorly managed again. Still chance for it to be rectified though.

Same as last season and it wasn't rectified. Whats different to this season?

Cant see why Santi couldnt of been ready. He played plenty of the pre season games didnt he. He actually started in a pre season friendly on the 1st of August.

Ah now, Walcott and Cazorla don't play even remotely the same position. He played decently too, for once.

I know he played plenty of last season more central but Cazorla is naturally a wide player. Better ball retention and an eye for a pass, which would of suited Sanchez up front who makes great runs in behind. We had nobody in that team yesterday who can unlock a defense and feed a pacey striker. Why is Walcott even in the squad ahead of Campbell who at least gives you 110%.

I know he played plenty of last season more central but Cazorla is naturally a wide player. Better ball retention and an eye for a pass, which would of suited Sanchez up front who makes great runs in behind. We had nobody in that team yesterday who can unlock a defense and feed a pacey striker.

I reckon there's only about one player in the front 6 that I would have put in the same position as Wenger chose to yesterday.

Same as last season and it wasn't rectified. Whats different to this season?

Cant see why Santi couldnt of been ready. He played plenty of the pre season games didnt he. He actually started in a pre season friendly on the 1st of August.

yes note my use of "again". Not disputing it's been a balls-up and not the first time. As to Santi he apparently did well when he came on but could he have lasted the 90?

yes note my use of "again". Not disputing it's been a balls-up and not the first time. As to Santi he apparently did well when he came on but could he have lasted the 90?

60 minutes would of been fine. Would of at least put him spot on for next week against Leicester. Then bring on the pacey players when the suspect Liverpool full backs are gettin tired. Instead Wenger sends his team out to try and win the game in the first 15 minutes. Nothing wrong with that if you have the players but we evidently havent.

Was Joel Campbell injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I haven't watched it back but my feeling during that 20 minute period was that Liverpool scored some ridiculous and almost unstoppable goals with the exception of the second which Bellerin and Cech were at fault for. I was infinitely more annoyed at our play afterwards, kicking the ball out of play for an injury when we're losing? You wouldn't see it at u12s. Ox scored a nice goal then proceeded to have the worst cameo I've ever seen, twice he left the ball to the opposition thinking a team mate would get it, unbelievable stuff. We had all the momentum in the world and didn't create a single chance at 3-4. I say hats off to Liverpool for some of their play but the last 20 minutes was farcial, really missed Ozil who normally dominates the ball in those circumstances, would have had Jack on the pitch instead of Xhaka too (how was a DM gonna help us score?).

Again, not watched it back but thought the two lads at CB did alright?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement