Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The first Liverpool goal was a free that no one would have saved from a player diving.

Ah here it was as much a dive as Alexis' one a few mins earlier. Oliver had to give it after that one. They were both incredibly soft but good to be consistent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I know he played plenty of last season more central but Cazorla is naturally a wide player. Better ball retention and an eye for a pass, which would of suited Sanchez up front who makes great runs in behind. We had nobody in that team yesterday who can unlock a defense and feed a pacey striker. Why is Walcott even in the squad ahead of Campbell who at least gives you 110%.

He was a wide player, not any more IMO. Doesn't have the pace or workrate out there any more - he should play central or behind the striker when Ozil is out. Wenger put him in CM last year and he did great there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It will be all ok when we get madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

We do this all the time, wait till the very last minute to sign a player and then get charged a hell of alot more because clubs know we are desperate and time is running out!!! And the reason why we wait is because we dont want to spend the money in the 1st place......FFS!

We should of had this done weeks ago, even if Mert was fit we should have been looking for a replacement for him never mind making him absent capt. Easily could of had Ashley Williams or even Davis from Hull for little money. It would have done and both are well use to the PL.

Jesus H Christ I would buy Senderos and stop him going to Rangers at this rate!!!!!

I still reckon we get Lazerette all the same but it will be for alot more then it should have been. just wish Wenger could buy a TACTICS book while he is shopping because he really and truely only has "PLAN A"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Im at the point where I just don't care as much any more. I expect nothing from this team whereas in the past, I thought we might actually win things of note and felt hopeful going into a season. I was 14 when Wenger was appointed and loved him from day one. His intelligence, the way he carried himself. Such an erudite, innovative and brilliant man who transformed the club and had a profound effect on English football. I'll always be grateful for what he has given us.

Now however, I really find it difficult to listen to anything he has to say. I can't believe for a second he truly believes some of the guff he comes out regularly. It's deeply embarrassing at times. And his post match interviews, when not spouting the same spiel every week about how strong we are mentally, how we give absolutely everything etc etc etc are now cringeworthy beyond belief. The sheer arrogance, hubris and righteous indignation of the man beggars belief at times, his gruff and dismissive manner in interviews when faced with even the slightest hint of criticism is grating as are the ridiculous and pathetic excuses we have heard over the years for regularly capitulations.

I hope things go well this season. But, really, I am not getting my hopes up because we all know how this season is likely to go. I've heard talk of this "Madness" that is looming. Why do it to ourselves? Where does this come from? I'm too old for Twitter and have no interest in it but I really don't know where this stuff comes from. And the constant dithering in the transfer market. It's never ending. I just feel apathetic towards the club now. It's sad and maybe that will change as I've invested a lot emotionally over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

In other news, former Arsenal player, and thread favourite Podolski retired from International football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The best thing about ****ing up during the season as opposed to ****ing up in the off-season is there's another match around the corner.

So have a guess at the midfield and attack formation next week?

I'm guessing

Coq - Elneny
    Sanchez - Caz - Ox
    Wally

Though I'd love if Giroud was back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Surely Ozil and Giroud are back next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

gosplan wrote: »
    The best thing about ****ing up during the season as opposed to ****ing up in the off-season is there's another match around the corner.

So have a guess at the midfield and attack formation next week?

I'm guessing

Coq - Elneny
    Sanchez - Caz - Ox
    Wally

Though I'd love if Giroud was back.

Ozil,kos and giroud should be available next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good old tight Arsenal. Not like a Chambers - Holding partnership is completely out of their depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I've seen them Ornstein tweets, surely Arsenal can easily afford Mustafi and a new striker?
    Wages shouldn't be an issue with bringing in new players as Rosicky, Arteta and Flamini are off the books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

mansize wrote: »
    Brought back too soon????

Maybe, but Ramsey is sadly an injury prone player. He gets a lot of muscular injuries, so it's going to be a common occurrence in his career I think. At least he will only miss two matches according to the reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So in light of Ornstein's tweets...

Best case scenario: Lacazette, Mustafi

Worst case scenario: Only Kjaer

Think we can assume Mahrez isn't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I've heard of Toprak and Kjaer are they any good though ? and who is this striker there supposedly holding back money for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jesus can we not just stump up the extra cash and sign both players for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ornstein wrote:

Price the issue. Arsenal want to hold back funds for possible striker signing. #AFC transfer budget factors in fee, salary, agent commission

If thats true that is absolutely infuriating. Just get it f*cking done.

keano_afc wrote: »
    If thats true that is absolutely infuriating. Just get it f*cking done.

I thought money isn't an issue anymore?

Here is a chance to sign a top class defender for years to come and we are still haggling over a few million.

Sick to death of the circus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

At a stage where new players are desperately needed and a target wants to come to Arsenal but we find they are penny pinching again. It wasn't that long ago Ivan Gazidis blew his trumpet about the infamous war chest and here we are yet again. What was the point of moving to the Emirates again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

We'll see Ramsey in January so. Be like a new signing.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hardly means they're gonna spend a fortune on a striker and want to get a defender for good value? No? Didn't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

lertsnim wrote: »
    At a stage where new players are desperately needed and a target wants to come to Arsenal but we find they are penny pinching again. It wasn't that long ago Ivan Gazidis blew his trumpet about the infamous war chest and here we are yet again. What was the point of moving to the Emirates again?

When the plan started it was without doubt an attempt to compete with the big boys.

Then we got here and money starts rolling in, the owner sees he can actually make money out of this and has a manager that can do a job in getting top 4 each year and soon we start not wanting to waste money.

The manager dislikes the new football and sets of on a personal rather than a club mission and wants to win football in a business way, he is in an environment were he is save to do that so he becomes a custom to thinking top 4 is success so let's not spend more than we need to.

It's a rot that won't stop with Arsene leaving

L'prof wrote: »
    Hardly means they're gonna spend a fortune on a striker and want to get a defender for good value? No? Didn't think so!

Their budget is £100m. £70m set aside for a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Basil3 wrote: »

We ain't spending 70m on a striker that's for certain. Prove me wrong Arsene!

Do they not realise sign all 3 players and they will make back the money ten times over when the league is won.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Do they not realise sign all 3 players and they will make back the money ten times over when the league is won.

I don't think they realise we can sell players too. We could start selling players like other clubs do!

I can't remember the last time we took advantage of this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Just wondering but if Arsene left or was sacked, what managers out there would you like to see take over who would be availableas it seems like a of the top managers have only moved into new clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Soups123 wrote: »

Vermalen to Barc - £15m
    Gervinho to Roma - £8m
    Song to Barca - £15m
    Van persie to MU - £25m

All a long time ago indeed

So that's all our rivals off to a winning start.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Fantastic.

gone from 6/1 to 9/1 to win the league. All so predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pudders wrote: »
    gone from 6/1 to 9/1 to win the league. All so predictable.

We will never again win the EPL under Wenger. Those odds are far too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Fantastic.

Of our rivals, only Liverpool won, Spurs drew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

wawaman wrote: »
    Of our rivals, only Liverpool won, Spurs drew

Chelsea and United won?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Chelsea and United won?

I think he meant our rivals for 4th place :D
    Utd, Chelsea and City will be above us.
    I'd say others too.

Yeah, I can imagine why a top CB wouldn't want to come to a club because their 5th and 6th choice CB's are young :rolleyes:

Obviously this guy wants to win so he is going to a go to a club with some ambition that wouldnt be amateur enough to leave this situation happen

:rolleyes: yourself.

Im at the point where I just don't care as much any more. I expect nothing from this team whereas in the past, I thought we might actually win things of note and felt hopeful going into a season. I was 14 when Wenger was appointed and loved him from day one. His intelligence, the way he carried himself. Such an erudite, innovative and brilliant man who transformed the club and had a profound effect on English football. I'll always be grateful for what he has given us.

Now however, I really find it difficult to listen to anything he has to say. I can't believe for a second he truly believes some of the guff he comes out regularly. It's deeply embarrassing at times. And his post match interviews, when not spouting the same spiel every week about how strong we are mentally, how we give absolutely everything etc etc etc are now cringeworthy beyond belief. The sheer arrogance, hubris and righteous indignation of the man beggars belief at times, his gruff and dismissive manner in interviews when faced with even the slightest hint of criticism is grating as are the ridiculous and pathetic excuses we have heard over the years for regularly capitulations.

I hope things go well this season. But, really, I am not getting my hopes up because we all know how this season is likely to go. I've heard talk of this "Madness" that is looming. Why do it to ourselves? Where does this come from? I'm too old for Twitter and have no interest in it but I really don't know where this stuff comes from. And the constant dithering in the transfer market. It's never ending. I just feel apathetic towards the club now. It's sad and maybe that will change as I've invested a lot emotionally over the years.

Wow thats an exceptional post. Really sums it up. You speak for a lot of people with that post whether you realise it or not.

If we're haggling over a few million but we're actually going to spend 140 million in one window, I won't really mind too much.

But are we going to spend another 100 million?

BTW you can just see Vardy scoring the winner, can't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

We will never again win the EPL under Wenger. Those odds are far too short.

THe sooner he retires the better.
    Would much rather have Koeman or Bilic in there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

ronjo wrote: »
    THe sooner he retires the better.
    Would much rather have Koeman or Bilic in there now.

I wonder how much of a difference it would make.

I know Wenger is a penny pincher but from Ornstein's tweet he obviously does see the need for a striker and a center back. Supposedly we had £200M + to spend in the market and I don't think we have come any where near that so how is it coming down to getting Mustafi for cheap so that we can also buy a striker?

Not that we will ever know, but I wonder what Wenger's budget actually is. Is the board/Gazdis giving us one budget and Wenger another? It wouldn't be the first time he wasn't exactly honest to fans and I would imagine it's a lot easier to use an employee who can't contradict you as a scapegoat than actually being honest.

If we do get a new manager, are we suddenly going to see them become a lot more financially conservative and "unwilling" to spend?

Wow thats an exceptional post. Really sums it up. You speak for a lot of people with that post whether you realise it or not.

Yeah he's spot on with that.

Wenger is making a lot of us fall out of love with Arsenal. The consistent process of getting your hopes up just to see them dashed in a comical display of weakness/ineptitude.

Somehow though he's also made me fall out of love with modern football. So Wenger goes, we become like the rest, get a new manager every two/three years, try and sign better players than everyone else ... and be just like every other corporate entity in the game. I'm not passing judgement but it seems an increasingly silly thing for an adult to devote loyalty to.

Damn you Wenger!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

farna_boy wrote: »
    I wonder how much of a difference it would make.

I know Wenger is a penny pincher but from Ornstein's tweet he obviously does see the need for a striker and a center back. Supposedly we had £200M + to spend in the market and I don't think we have come any where near that so how is it coming down to getting Mustafi for cheap so that we can also buy a striker?

Not that we will ever know, but I wonder what Wenger's budget actually is. Is the board/Gazdis giving us one budget and Wenger another? It wouldn't be the first time he wasn't exactly honest to fans and I would imagine it's a lot easier to use an employee who can't contradict you as a scapegoat than actually being honest.

If we do get a new manager, are we suddenly going to see them become a lot more financially conservative and "unwilling" to spend?

Thats a fair point but we will never know while he is still here.

Even if we went out and splashed 150 million by 31st August its just absolutely ridiculous to wait until the season is well under way.
    All that guff about the importance of coming 3rd not 4th was exactly that... Guff !

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't think they realise we can sell players too. We could start selling players like other clubs do!

LOL
    Other clubs don't sell their best players if they don't want to, we don't sell the ones who are crap, no one wants them unless they are close to free.
    That leaves the club selling whenever they can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The advantage Ferguson always had over AW was his ability to be ruthless with the squad when necessary. Act quick and dump the players who aren't adding value and get in players who strengthen the team. At this point I'm starting to think that the years we had success were the years that the transfer gambles paid off and not some grand master plan where AW was a transfer master. Once money came into football AW's one trick was nullified.

The club is now run by accountants or people who have the balance sheet in mind for all decisions on and off the pitch. We should just accept it now as it doesn't look like it's going to change.

Those behind the club are not stupid. They are for the most part successful business people. They know the issues with the squad as much as we do - they just don't have the same goals for the club as we do. For them, they achieve their goals every year. For us, we just keep believing in the same thing every year and every year we end up more and more frustrated.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The advantage Ferguson always had over AW was his ability to be ruthless with the squad when necessary. Act quick and dump the players who aren't adding value and get in players who strengthen the team. At this point I'm starting to think that the years we had success were the years that the transfer gambles paid off and not some grand master plan where AW was a transfer master. Once money came into football AW's one trick was nullified.

The club is now run by accountants or people who have the balance sheet in mind for all decisions on and off the pitch. We should just accept it now as it doesn't look like it's going to change.

Those behind the club are not stupid. They are for the most part successful business people. They know the issues with the squad as much as we do - they just don't have the same goals for the club as we do. For them, they achieve their goals every year. For us, we just keep believing in the same thing every year and every year we end up more and more frustrated.

Fergie was pragmatic. After that defensive display he'd bollock the players concerned out of it.

Wenger can't because the two CB's concerned shouldn't have been starting together. He threw them in at the deep end and shipping 4 goals in 17 mins is all his fault. All he can say is 'tough luck lads, I'm proud and you'll do better next time'. What should be said is 'you're not starting next time'. That's the atmosphere that players improve in.

ronjo wrote: »
    Thats a fair point but we will never know while he is still here.

Even if we went out and splashed 150 million by 31st August its just absolutely ridiculous to wait until the season is well under way.
    All that guff about the importance of coming 3rd not 4th was exactly that... Guff !

It's because Arsenal have this mentality that they sit below the top tier of teams. They would like other big clubs to have made their moves and then they won't get outbid when trying to hit their targets. Pretty crazy.

Of course, the transfer window should close before the season starts. I've never understood why it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Fergie was pragmatic. After that defensive display he'd bollock the players concerned out of it.

Wenger can't because the two CB's concerned shouldn't have been starting together. He threw them in at the deep end and shipping 4 goals in 17 mins is all his fault. All he can say is 'tough luck lads, I'm proud and you'll do better next time'. What should be said is 'you're not starting next time'. That's the atmosphere that players improve in.

Depends on the players - some will thrive with that psychology, others will suffer.

The key for a manager is either to find a group of players that suit his mentality or to be able to adjust his behaviour according to what best suits the individual player. Not sure that Wenger is doing either any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hyzepher wrote: »

The question has to be asked also, was Dein more influential in the transfer dealings back than Wenger was. As soon as Dein left the club our transfer dealings turned to shít. I know he probably didn't select the targets, but I'm nearly sure he got them over the line in time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement