Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Quazzie wrote: »
    The question has to be asked also, was Dein more influential in the transfer dealings back than Wenger was. As soon as Dein left the club our transfer dealings turned to shít. I know he probably didn't select the targets, but I'm nearly sure he got them over the line in time.

Just look at the reason dein left.

He wanted arsenal to be taken over by billionaires, he said its the only way to move the club forward. Wenger disagreed.

He left. Who was right in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

greendom wrote: »
    Depends on the players - some will thrive with that psycology, others will suffer.

The key for a manager is either to find a group of players that suit his mentality or to be able to adjust his behaviour according to what best suits the individual player. Not sure that Wenger is doing either any more.

This is true but for a long time I think many Arsenal players have been abdicating responsibility.

We should have had the players walking off the pitch thinking 'my fault, I should have done better'.

If Mane had dribbled past Kos and Mert on the way to his goal, we'd be going nuts at them...and rightly so.

In addition to having good rugby players, what made Munster so strong for so long (to totally switch codes for a sec) was this inbuilt ethos that you win the jersey from the guy before you and you put in as much as you can to keep it out of the hands of the guy coming after you for as long as you can.

We're admittedly finally getting around to a position where we have competition for places but it's been absent for so long that the culture at the club is one whereby a bad performance means you just had one of those days where you played with the handbrake on and you need to bounce back next week. But once you're in the team, you're in the team. You just need to look at the application of Walcott vrs Campbell to see that some players can coast at Arsenal whereas others can try their hardest and get nothing for it.

For the vast vast majority of players it should be 'that wasn't good enough, you may get a chance to put it right in a few weeks depending on how other people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Just look at the reason dein left.

He wanted arsenal to be taken over by billionaires, he said its the only way to move the club forward. Wenger disagreed.

He left. Who was right in the end?

True but it wasn't Wenger, it was the old board.

gosplan wrote: »
    True but it wasn't Wenger, it was the old board.

Wenger didn't agree with dein's vision also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Wenger didn't agree with dein's vision also.

Yeah but Dein got his wish in the end and we are now owned by billionaires. How well has that worked out for us?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

farna_boy wrote: »
    Yeah but Dein got his wish in the end and we are now owned by billionaires. How well has that worked out for us?

Yep, got the wrong one it seems. Kroenke is the one crippling the club, the criticism of Wenger is all justified at the moment too imo but even when he goes I don't think anything will change with Kroenke there. He see's sports teams as a money making opportunity and that's that, his other "franchises" are much the same as Arsenal (if I'm not mistaken). All turning a profit but not winning much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yep, got the wrong one it seems. Kroenke is the one crippling the club, the criticism of Wenger is all justified at the moment too imo but even when he goes I don't think anything will change with Kroenke there. He see's sports teams as a money making opportunity and that's that, his other "franchises" are much the same as Arsenal (if I'm not mistaken). All turning a profit but not winning much.

Yep. I'm a big Rams fan too, so the prick is screwing me over every way possible.

farna_boy wrote: »

Didn't he want usamanov to take over and not kroenke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Didn't he want usamanov to take over and not kroenke?

I was under the impression Dein brought Kroenke in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Dein wanted usmanov. Bracewell Smith sold to kronke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yep. I'm a big Rams fan too

You like big Rams?? Each to their own I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was just thinking lads about what would have happened if we had actually won last Sunday.
    Would Wenger then say we are stronger than he thought and that we don't need a new CB or striker? I have a feeling he would have done. I think his gamble failed but he will persist. I can't see him buying anyone as i've said all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was just thinking lads about what would have happened if we had actually won last Sunday.
    Would Wenger then say we are stronger than he thought and that we don't need a new CB or striker? I have a feeling he would have done. I think his gamble failed but he will persist. I can't see him buying anyone as i've said all along.
    This is the thing that annoys me the most. His lack of preparation is absolutely appalling. i actually think that 1 result would be enough to sway him. He didn't even think of buying a striker till Giroud got injured then he bought Welbeck on a spur of the moment decision. It's absolutely crazy when you think of it. A LOT of people in here have expressed concerns that Mertesacker is beyond his best years, and the club should start looking for his replacement, so how come it's only now that Per is injured that Wenger is considering his replacement? Surely it didn't take his injury for Wenger to see that some preparation for the future needs to be done.

Also why hasn't Debuchy been sold? Why is Campbell still at the club when it's obvious to every man and his dog that Wenger will never give him the game time he deserves? Why is Wenger holding onto these two players?

This is the thing that annoys me the most. His lack of preparation is absolutely appalling. i actually think that 1 result would be enough to sway him. He didn't even think of buying a striker till Giroud got injured then he bought Welbeck on a spur of the moment decision. It's absolutely crazy when you think of it. A LOT of people in here have expressed concerns that Mertesacker is beyond his best years, and the club should start looking for his replacement, so how come it's only now that Per is injured that Wenger is considering his replacement? Surely it didn't take his injury for Wenger to see that some preparation for the future needs to be done.

Isn't that why Gabriel was purchased? I know a lot of people think that he's not good enough, but surely he was purchased to be the third main central defender. As Mert phases out, Gab would step up, or someone else would come straight in to the starting 11. You've got at least 3 youngsters being groomed for the position as well.

Just out of interest, I wonder how many people can name the 6 central defenders (or even top 4) at any of the main EPL clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Basil3 wrote: »

Isn't that why Gabriel was purchased? I know a lot of people think that he's not good enough, but surely he was purchased to be the third main central defender. As Mert phases out, Gab would step up, or someone else would come straight in to the starting 11. You've got at least 3 youngsters being groomed for the position as well.

Just out of interest, I wonder how many people can name the 6 central defenders (or even top 4) at any of the main EPL clubs.
    You really don't think Wenger should have gone out and bought a central defender upon at least Gabriel's injury let alone after Mert got injured?

You must be in a club of 3 to think that. You Stan and Arsene.

• Advertisement

Pudders wrote: »
    You really don't think Wenger should have gone out and bought a central defender upon at least Gabriel's injury let alone after Mert got injured?

You must be in a club of 3 to think that. You Stan and Arsene.

That's not what I meant, nor what I said. Par for the course around here, though.

Basil3 wrote: »

Maybe it's just me but I've never really thought of Gab as anything more than a strong third choice. I think if he was starting XI it's represent a significant drop in standard at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Dein wanted usmanov. Bracewell Smith sold to kronke.

Dein was ousted by Hill-Wood for courting Kroenke nine years ago. He ultimately sold his shares to Usmanov afterwards. Kroenke was, somewhat ironically, then brought in to block the Uzbek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

According to ESPN (via Arseblog) we are eyeing up Jose Fonte now. Stench of panic starting to come from the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We're basically screwed unless we get a starting calibre centre back. Gabriel is a handy third choice, but if we have to rely on a Kos, Gabriel partnership for the majority of the season than we aren't going to fare well. Neither are particularly good in the air, so we are going to be dreading any high ball into the box all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I almost never criticise Mr. Wenger, because even now he gets way more right than wrong.

But for **** sake, even if everyone was fully fit all the time (ha!), we'd still need an upgrade on every centre half bar Kos. So really, at least two better centre halves. Before injuries.

And this pissing about with Mustafi. Give the f*ckers 50 mil. Who cares. It worth nothing to the team in the bank. We'll get another 100 mill from tv at the end of the year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The tide is definitely turning if Donie is getting restless ☺

wonga77 wrote: »

I feel like such a treacherous scumbag right now!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I almost never criticise Mr. Wenger, because even now he gets way more right than wrong.

But for **** sake, even if everyone was fully fit all the time (ha!), we'd still need an upgrade on every centre half bar Kos. So really, at least two better centre halves. Before injuries.

And this pissing about with Mustafi. Give the f*ckers 50 mil. Who cares. It worth nothing to the team in the bank. We'll get another 100 mill from tv at the end of the year anyway.

Supposedly price was 24 before Gabriel got injured then 30 when mert got injured now up to 35.

Why not sign when valued at 24 million.

I still think he's the right man for the job! It's just that this has been handled badly.

And I'm mostly angry because the club and the manager should have seen weeks out - we all could - that losing the first game to Liverpool would just p*ss everybody off and get the season off on a complete downer.

So don't under any cirumstances allow a situation where we concede four. At home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I still think he's the right man for the job! It's just that this has been handled badly.

Ha the last 10 years has been handled badly never mind just this.

Ha the last 10 years has been handled badly never mind just this.

Paying off the massive stadium was badly handled?

Let's not get carried away here.

Dein was ousted by Hill-Wood for courting Kroenke nine years ago. He ultimately sold his shares to Usmanov afterwards. Kroenke was, somewhat ironically, then brought in to block the Uzbek.

Didn't know that

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Some absolute nail on the head comments here lads. Disillusioned is an understatement.

The money talk by Wenger and Gazidis is appalling, and if Ornstein is to be believed, its a farce that we would be haggling for value at this stage. You don't get to haggle anymore. Valencia have really no need to sell us Mustafi, if he has a good season his value will double and they can bank that from a clever club at the start of next season.

And why would that have any effect on signing a striker? Even if we've known we needed a striker for the last 10 years, its actually of far far more concern that we won't even have two first team defenders for most of the season, and as mentioned, pers age and quality has been called into question for a bit of time now. We were always going to need a replacement.

Lastly, what is our plan for our midfielders? Currently our attacking options are:
    Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Cazorla, Cambell, Iwobi, Jeff, WIlshere, Ramsey

Now, clearly we aren't going to see Wilshere in CM position now that we have Elneny, coquelin, Xhaka and either Cazorla/Ramsey if we are looking more attacking. Iwobi and Walcott got the nod this week ahead of Cazorla, Cambell and wilshere, and thats without Welbeck and ozil even available. Now credit to Iwobi for making that much of an impression, but how the hell does he get that nod on the first match of the season, where experience was needed more than anything to hold up the young defence. Wenger wont use cambell for some reason or another, he doesnt see cazorla as a nailed on starter any more, and Wilshere hasn't really shown us which position he would usurp from our other, more one-position players. Its a shame because all three are great players, but bar serious injuries (which I guess are inevitable), why aren't we using their value to finance the deals we want to make?

It would be different if Wenger hadn't specifically said we needed a striker. But he has. And we've bid for them. And we've been asked for more money for them. These are the"top-quality" he wants, but now he's not even bothered to take a gamble on how "top-quality" they are in terms of price.

Naive, Stubborn, Arrogant, Delusional, and then Capitulating. As someone said earlier, makes you question the point of following a team at all. If we aren't gonna blood hidden gems, we aren't gonna buy world class players, we have lost our playing style ideology, the games are too expensive to go to, the ground barely has an atmosphere anymore, and the players barely care that they play for us (bar a select few), what makes it Arsenal anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I couldn't disagree more but I'm keen to hear your reasons for that? Im utterly opposed to Wenger being manager at this stage, transfers should have been taken out of his hands 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thought we were talking about the team? Every season we are unprepared and left short because of poor management. The stadium has nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I still think he's the right man for the job!

Well **** me.

What would it take for you to see the light???

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

People still harping on about the stadium. The debt became a non issue years ago.

I am not sure how toxic you realise the atmosphere at the stadium was on Sunday.

A chant of spend the ****ing money started from the normally loyal north bank.
    Stewards stopping fans getting at wenger. I saw at least 3 taken out.
    Boos at 3-1, loudest at 4-1 and again at the end of the match.
    Wenger supporters from last season have turned.

I am actually frightened of how bad the atmosphere will be at the next home match to Southampton.

I have wanted we get out but it's actually not enjoyable sitting hearing the vitriol. It was toxic last Sunday.

Thought we were talking about the team? Every season we are unprepared and left short because of poor management. The stadium has nothing to do with that.

But selling the best players to pay for the stadium? Surely has something to do with it?

Anyway, not getting into again.

Apart from why I think Wenger is still the man. Ozil, Sanchez, Ramesy, Bellerin, Santi, Cech. Some of the other ones. All the leagues and F.A. cups and that. Those things.

Remember we were second last year. Wasn't what it should have been, and f*ck me we haven't started well this time, but...yeah, not getting into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What was the point in moving into the new stadium if we aren't going to invest the extra income on the team? Did we move to just line the pockets of shareholders. It looks that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Remember we were second last year. .

Finished on 71 points. The season before we finished on 74 and the season before it was 79. We are actually regressing the last few years.

But selling the best players to pay for the stadium? Surely has something to do with it?

Anyway, not getting into again.

Apart from why I think Wenger is still the man. Ozil, Sanchez, Ramesy, Bellerin, Santi, Cech. Some of the other ones. All the leagues and F.A. cups and that. Those things.

Remember we were second last year. Wasn't what it should have been, and f*ck me we haven't started well this time, but...yeah, not getting into it.
    Repeatedly on this thread you've said the first part of that, and always followed it with the second. In fairness, it's a discussion forum, if you're not going to discuss what you say, well then maybe you should cut back on the throwaway comments. This isn't me backseat modding by the way, I'm just pointing out a trend amongst your posts.

Repeatedly on this thread you've said the first part of that, and always followed it with the second. In fairness, it's a discussion forum, if you're not going to discuss what you say, well then maybe you should cut back on the throwaway comments. This isn't me backseat modding by the way, I'm just pointing out a trend amongst your posts.

But you ignored the middle part of what I said.

I think he's the man because he has signed so many brilliant players. I've even helped by listing the best ones from the current squad.

Is that alright? Or is there a official thread opinion i need to agree to before posting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

All the league's and fa cups? I think he's won 9 trophies in 19 years. That record gets you the sack at most top teams.

I cannot wait for the very second Arsene gets shown the door.

But you ignored the middle part of what I said.

I think he's the man because he has signed so many brilliant players. I've even helped by listing the best ones from the current squad.

Is that alright? Or is there a official thread opinion i need to agree to before posting?
    There's no official opinion, it's a tad annoying though when someone posts an opinion and isn't willing to back it up. Anyways.

The players you named are great players, but they seem to be exception rather that the rule. I don't think anyone in here will argue with you that Wenger has been the greatest manager in the club history, but where we seem to differ opinion is that I think you're in the tiny minority who still believes that Wenger will have a large impact on our future, and that includes our immediate future. I myself believe he has lost any ability he had to control a game tactically, and the longer it goes on, the more I question his influence in the past.

What he has done for the club in the past is phenonamal but the club needs to look at the future, and for most, to have a prosperous future, it doesn't include Wenger.
    All the league's and fa cups? I think he's won 9 trophies in 19 years. That record gets you the sack at most top teams.

I cannot wait for the very second Arsene gets shown the door.

And that record ratio gets worse every year he stays

There's no official opinion, it's a tad annoying though when someone posts an opinion and isn't willing to back it up. Anyways.

The players you named are great players, but they seem to be exception rather that the rule. I don't think anyone in here will argue with you that Wenger has been the greatest manager in the club history, but where we seem to differ opinion is that I think you're in the tiny minority who still believes that Wenger will have a large impact on our future, and that includes our immediate future. I myself believe he has lost any ability he had to control a game tactically, and the longer it goes on, the more I question his influence in the past.

What he has done for the club in the past is phenonamal but the club needs to look at the future, and for most, to have a prosperous future, it doesn't include Wenger.

And that record ratio gets worse every year he stays

He's won 2 in the last 3 years. That improves that ratio.

He's won 2 in the last 3 years. That improves that ratio.
    or 2 in 12 if you look at it a different way.

or 2 in 12 if you look at it a different way.

And you wonder why I don't want to get into it??

He has the most experience out of all managers in the league.

Miles more experience so should be well used and prepared for what it takes to succeed in the league.

But he has gone backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

It's ironic that a club that bleeds their supporters dry is the greatest penny pinching big club of them all. Double standards everywhere within Arsenal

Sad to say this is true he's not using the years of experience wisely. He's gambled yet again with the squad and we're off to another losing start. Which is the usual.
    We need a good season. We've got oil and Sanchez both will have one year left on their deals at the end of this season. Without something good happening it's likely they'll want to move on.

Barlett wrote: »
    It's ironic that a club that bleeds their supporters dry is the greatest penny pinching big club of them all. Double standards everywhere within Arsenal

Careful now Barlett. Certain posters might come along and complain that you aren't telling them anything that they don't know already. Apparently its not right to express frustration on this thread to some but then again even though almost every poster quite rightly expresses their dissatisfaction with how the club is currently ran, one poster in particular takes real exception to it. perhaps its just my posts. Everyone else might be alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I think it's safe to say there's no Arsenal fans right now, not pissed off at how this pre season and start of season has gone. None. Forget about the last few years, this one has been unforgivable!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Some people have different opinions to other people, imagine that

No need to be getting upset about it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement