Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That RVP thing is a bit thin tbh.

All he said is 'we disagree on the way to move the club forward,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    That RVP thing is a bit thin tbh.

All he said is 'we disagree on the way to move the club forward,

The club was in a very different position then too. We seemed to sell our best player every year and spend peanuts on replacements.

Now at least we're holding onto our best and (albeit very slowly) making improvements to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    The club was in a very different position then too. We seemed to sell our best player every year and spend peanuts on replacements.

Now at least we're holding onto our best and (albeit very slowly) making improvements to the team.
    Are you certain Xhaka is an improvement on our team. I'm not saying he's not I'm just curious how you see him fitting in.

I'd also be interested to see if you think this is the area we needed improving this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

That will only last so long. If you were in Ozil's shoes and found yourself one of if not the best player in the world for you position/role, would you be happy to wait around during your prime years for the club to buy more players? I can't see Ozil staying around if this season is as mediocre as the last few and I couldn't blame him one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I have found myself over time hating RVP less and less since he left. It probably hurt fans so much because of where he went and its very easy to say he went for the money. He left cause he knew we were going nowhere fast and he wanted to win something, much the same as people saying now that they wouldnt blame Ozil or Sanchez for not sticking around in the future if players arent brought in

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you certain Xhaka is an improvement on our team. I'm not saying he's not I'm just curious how you see him fitting in.

I'd also be interested to see if you think this is the area we needed improving this year?

I see him as an improvement on Arteta as he has similar distribution skills but much better defensively. Time will tell.

In terms of improvement we have lost Arteta and Flamini, not to mention Rosicky so a replacement was necessary.

keano_afc wrote: »
    What other teams do or dont do in the transfer market and how much they spend has chuff all to do with Arsenal football club. Saying other teams spent more and didnt win the league either is probably the biggest straw man argument I ever heard. Celebrating failure because it wasnt as expensive a failure as the other big clubs? Sorry, not having that. Besides, City, Chelsea and United have all won the league in the last 12 years. We havent.

Arsene Wenger is a failure because he doesn't adequately prepare HIS team or sign the necessary players. There's no point going over old ground because we know the areas he falls down in. You're one of I think 2 posters in here that still supports him. Take of the blinkers dude, he's finished.

The levels of idiocy here are getting too much for me.

So basically you're agreeing with me? :confused:

My point is that using net spend to say how much of a failure Arsene was is pointless. His failure was in not bringing in the players required to win the league. Nothing to do with net spend.

Edit: and don't confuse being an Arsene supporter with someone who doesn't constantly b!tch and moan about him and everything he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Rumblings of Liverpool planning to gazump us for Mustafi. (Could be an agent trying to force our hand)
    But if this happens we are an absolute joke, and we should all just hibernate for the year and hope that something changes next year

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

We're such a laughing stock at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So the latest on Mustafi is that we're haggling over the price... Jesus wept. I really hope it's not true.

So the latest on Mustafi is that we're haggling over the price... Jesus wept. I really hope it's not true.

Higuain in 2013. We had money then, we have more money now. Picture still the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We'll know all about that soon enough. Ozil and Sanchez stalling.
    For my money they see no desire from the club, just like a lot of fans and previous players that jumped ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just buy a big name striker and CB ffs, you will make the majority of the price back on shirt sales anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just buy a big name striker and CB ffs, you will make the majority of the price back on shirt sales anyway.

False

(buy the bloody players anyway though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

James Pearce (LFC mouthpiece) sez story is not true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Going into the game the weekend without buying a CB is just ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Jesus christ is Wenger capable of even identifying the final product?? We have enough unproven young CB's we don't need another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jesus christ is Wenger capable of even identifying the final product?? We have enough unproven young CB's we don't need another.
    Wouldn't think of Gimenez as unproven, he's brilliant. Wenger isn't spending 40 million quid on him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Iwobi out for a month FFS .

Wouldn't think of Gimenez as unproven, he's brilliant. Wenger isn't spending 40 million quid on him though.

I like him too but he's not up there with Hummels, Chiellini, Silva, Boateng etc, That's the type of player we should be signing especially if 40mill is being thrown around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I like him too but he's not up there with Hummels, Chiellini, Silva, Boateng etc, That's the type of player we should be signing especially if 40mill is being thrown around.

Chiellini & Silva are both in their 30s, there'd be uproar!

L'prof wrote: »
    Chiellini & Silva are both in their 30s, there'd be uproar!

They could take us to a league title or two but I guess you're right go forbid we don't think about the future or long term financial gain.

Silva is 30?? WTF??

Just how long have we been stuck in groundhog season?

Is Kos back for weekend??
    Surely to god yes?

I'd say that's in response to Valencia saying Liverpool were in for Mustafi.

Agents/clubs playing games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They could take us to a league title or two but I guess you're right go forbid we don't think about the future or long term financial gain.

I don't mind signing a defender in their 30s per say, but for £40m???

40million for a defender? Shur it nearly killed him to offer that for Suarez! I'm calling bull****.

• Advertisement

They're all starters at better clubs than us. Saying that, so is Gimenez :pac:

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't mind signing a defender in their 30s per say, but for £40m???

Well what would you price Thiago Silva at in the current market for example? He's arguably the best centre halve in the world.

They're all starters at better clubs than us. Saying that, so is Gimenez :pac:

Is Gimenez still starting? I thought they were favouring Savic alongside Godin?

Is Gimenez still starting? I thought they were favouring Savic alongside Godin?

I'm not sure actually. Savic started the CL final, but I can't remember if there were fitness issues. Gimenez played most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sky Sports have just announced Mahrez has signed a new four deal at Leicester. He definitely won't be coming to us now!

DenMan wrote: »
    Sky Sports have just announced Mahrez has signed a new four deal at Leicester. He definitely won't be coming to us now!
    He never was. His agent played the club for the fools they are, to get himself a better contract at Leicester.

This theory also applies to approximately 90% of rumours that get circulated.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »

Lol...

Just lol.

Everyone's laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Oh if Mustafi goes to Liverpool at this point :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't why anyone would be laughing at us over Mahrez it was a total bs story from the start that came from the papers we were never in for him at all Ornstein said it on a few occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I don't why anyone would be laughing at us over Mahrez it was a total bs story from the start that came from the papers we were never in for him at all Ornstein said it on a few occasions

Frankly, it's more irritating to have our own fans LOL-ing.

Yep orenstein put them hopes to bed a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If we were never in for Mahrez who are we in for? We badly need another alternative to dumb and dumber (Walcott and Ox) out on the wings.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If we were never in for Mahrez who are we in for? We badly need another alternative to dumb and dumber (Walcott and Ox) out on the wings.
    After watching him in the Olympics, I'd like to think that Gnabry could be given a run and that he'd take it, but I fear Gnabry is due to go down the Campbell route of never getting faith placed in him by Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Quazzie wrote: »
    After watching him in the Olympics, I'd like to think that Gnabry could be given a run and that he'd take it, but I fear Gnabry is due to go down the Campbell route of never getting faith placed in him by Wenger.

The treatment of Campbell by Wenger is truely baffling. Hes twice the player Walcott is and has shown more than Oxlade Chamberlain has in a handful of games than he has in his whole Arsenal career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

There's something else afoot. I don't know what, but I'm almost certain Mustafi was never first choice and that Wenger's holding out for someone else. It reminds me somewhat of the summer we bought Sagna, he'd barely registered on the radar before he signed. It's all daggers and smoke screens right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

But he has to be worth that, David Luis is 50m!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's all daggers and smoke screens right now...

Bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Bertie?

:D

In all seriousness though, Dick Law is probably trekking through the jungle in The Congo right now, to negotiate with some obscure tribal chief over an 11 year old whom he heard sleeps with a football made of scrunched up palm tree leaves tied up with vines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It's all daggers and smoke screens right now...
    Wenger would want to be careful this doesn't go all Shakespearean on him soon!

:D

In all seriousness though, Dick Law is probably trekking through the jungle in The Congo right now, to negotiate with some obscure tribal chief over an 11 year old whom he heard sleeps with a football made of scrunched up palm tree leaves tied up with vines.

I seriously hope not. Everyone knows the best strikers come from South America.

Wenger said he might gamble on kos the weekend

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement