Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Wenger on Transfers:

More from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger on transfers. Measured, thoughtful, cautious.

"We are not scared to spend money but to buy in itself is not a quality - to buy good players is. This club has been built on that.

"The transfer policy we have had here has helped build the club. I know we haven't done as much as many people but we are out there. I have made 400 transfers in my life and I know every one has a rhythm that you are not the only one to decide on.

"It's better for me not to speak about any player. But I would like to reassure you that we are not afraid to spend the money we have and we are working very hard."

"On the whole transfer market there is very little happening because of the availability of players. You can play huge amounts of money for average players - there are plenty of those - but to find the ones who will strengthen your squad, that is more difficult" .- BBC Sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wenger said he might gamble on kos the weekend

So...

Cech
    Bellerin - Holding - Kos - Monreal
    Coq - Elneny
    Sanchez - Caz - Ox
    Walcott

I'm not including Xhaka as I had stopped paying attention in disgust last week but people said he was way off the pace.

Also Wally up front makes more sense to me than Sanchez. Whichever one goes up top, you're going to be limiting to very peripheral involvement. Sanchez offers so much on the wing that it's stupid to lose that for his very limited contribution up front. Taking Wally out of the game doesn't lose is nearly as much plus he's as capable of making a mark up front as Alexis.

Though I'm sure Wenger will go the other way simply because no-one knows why.

Heh, some team. Holding being near the XI is just hilarious.

Wouldn't be surprised to get a result this weekend if Leicester get stuck in a rut at the start of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think Leicester will turn us over.
    I prefer holding to chambers, but that’s mainly because ive given up of him. I know he’s young and can improve but I think he’s too nice to be an effective centre half. He’s not tough enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

How come Wenger gets so much abuse regarding transfers? Surely like every other top club, he picks a player he wants and some commercial business guru like Ed Woodward are supposed to get the deal over the line?

Given his longevity I'm sure he has more power over this than his PL counterparts but surely he's not the one with a notepad and pen coming up with transfer fees? Honestly can someone tell me how it works at Arsenal because I don't know and I can't believe it's still Arsene pulling the strings for all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

jive wrote: »
    How come Wenger gets so much abuse regarding transfers? Surely like every other top club, he picks a player he wants and some commercial business guru like Ed Woodward are supposed to get the deal over the line?

Given his longevity I'm sure he has more power over this than his PL counterparts but surely he's not the one with a notepad and pen coming up with transfer fees? Honestly can someone tell me how it works at Arsenal because I don't know and I can't believe it's still Arsene pulling the strings for all this.

Wenger does everything. There is no Woodward. Wenger decides the price of the bid etc. Everyone answers to him.

Wenger does everything. There is no Woodward. Wenger decides the price of the bid etc. Everyone answers to him.

Are you serious or being sarcastic? Seems a bit mental that he would bother with that to be honest. Surely hiring someone good at negotiating deals would pay for their salary 50000x over given the current fees..?

Are you serious or being sarcastic? Seems a bit mental that he would bother with that to be honest. Surely hiring someone good at negotiating deals would pay for their salary 50000x over given the current fees..?

I'm sure he doesn't bother with all the paperwork but the decision on a player and a price is down to him.

That was the difference with Dein. Wenger picked a player or players and Dein got it done.

The getting it done part is Wenger's failing.

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm sure he doesn't bother with all the paperwork but the decision on a player and a price is down to him.

That was the difference with Dein. Wenger picked a player or players and Dein got it done.

The getting it done part is Wenger's failing.

That's absolutely mental. On one hand fair play to him for not shirking any responsibility but on the other it's clearly not working and hasn't been for some time, surely it's time to face up to that.

• Advertisement

That's absolutely mental. On one hand fair play to him for not shirking any responsibility but on the other it's clearly not working and hasn't been for some time, surely it's time to face up to that.

'Not working' depends on what you view as success criteria.

According to Wenger, he's nearly completed a full 22 man squad his way. Over time with very little wastage and not the revolving door of footballers which he seems not to like. People here identify deadwood but truthfully having only Walcott, Ox, Chambers in a squad is pretty good. The issue seems to be that we have to rely on them too often.

According to the owners, you have a manager who ensures a profit and runs the way in a very responsible manner. He doesn't badger you for more funds and the club is financially in very safe hands.

According to the fans 'sign a fcuking striker!!!'

According to Wenger, he's nearly completed a full 22 man squad his way. Over time with very little wastage and not the revolving door of footballers which he seems not to like. People here identify deadwood but truthfully having only Walcott, Ox, Chambers in a squad is pretty good. The issue seems to be that we have to rely on them too often.

According to the owners, you have a manager who ensures a profit and runs the way in a very responsible manner. He doesn't badger you for more funds and the club is financially in very safe hands.

Not working in terms of winning trophies and being competitive in the latter stages of the champions league.

Personally I think he does a great job overall. No English club has matched Arsenal's consistency over such an extended period of time. They have a decent team and haven't spent an absolute bomb to achieve it, all the while being a financially prudent in the background too.

I also thinking getting rid of him would be a huge mistake. Totally gone off my own initial question here anyway, I honestly just didn't realise he was still well and truly the be all and end all of these dealings. Fans will of course be irked by not having the newest and shiniest player but Wenger knows best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Aren't the likes of Sanogo and Campbell considered deadwood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Not working in terms of winning trophies and being competitive in the latter stages of the champions league.

Personally I think he does a great job overall. No English club has matched Arsenal's consistency over such an extended period of time. They have a decent team and haven't spent an absolute bomb to achieve it, all the while being a financially prudent in the background too.

I also thinking getting rid of him would be a huge mistake. Totally gone off my own initial question here anyway, I honestly just didn't realise he was still well and truly the be all and end all of these dealings. Fans will of course be irked by not having the newest and shiniest player but Wenger knows best.

It's fine if you're happy with finishing in the top 4 every year with little chance of winning the league or champions league. Most fans aren't happy with that though as they want to support a football club not a business.

After today's quotes, I don't expect any incomers. The TV deal has somehow made Wenger even less willing than before to spend money. No idea how the Xhaka deal even happened.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Aren't the likes of Sanogo and Campbell considered deadwood?

Whoops, forgot about Sanogo there.

Campbell is marginalised by Wenger but I can't see anyone disagreeing with the idea of him being a fantastic squad player.

I guess what I'm saying is the overall squad is pretty healthy. Good age profile, good mix of first teamers with experience and quality and younger players with potential.

If Wenger's being honest about this striker and CB, then he's built a fantastic squad for the next few seasons.

Whether he's the man or not to be in charge of it remains to be seen.

It will make the job far less of a poisoned chalice though. I mean if we find a striker and CB, there couldn't be a manager anywhere who couldn't find a starting 11 they're very happy with from the Arsenal squad.

• Advertisement

He certainly does not.

After today's quotes, I don't expect any incomers. The TV deal has somehow made Wenger even less willing than before to spend money. No idea how the Xhaka deal even happened.

The problem is that the Ozil deal has created this situation where I always have hope, until the last minute of the last day of the transfer window.

When did we first hear about it? Lunchtime on transfer deadline day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Wenger has no problem paying silly wages to average under performing players, injury ravaged players for seasons (Diaby, Rosicky and Wilshere to an extent) yet cant go out of his way to buy a world class striker and rock solid CB.

Everyday that passes the man is becoming more and more of a relic.

Best thing to happen to the PL is Klopp, Pep and Conte have arrived coz its only a matter of time before we really are shown up and arrive at mid table where we will stay.

FA Cups for ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Wenger has no problem paying silly wages to average under performing players, injury ravaged players for seasons (Diaby, Rosicky and Wilshere to an extent) yet cant go out of his way to buy a world class striker and rock solid CB.

Everyday that passes the man is becoming more and more of a relic.

Best thing to happen to the PL is Klopp, Pep and Conte have arrived coz its only a matter of time before we really are shown up and arrive at mid table where we will stay.

FA Cups for ever!

I agree Wenger's lost it but you're acting like you're going to be happy if we finish mid table.

I guess what I'm saying is the overall squad is pretty healthy. Good age profile, good mix of first teamers with experience and quality and younger players with potential.

I agree, I honestly think a different manager would get better results with our current squad and a bit of hard-line mentality.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    The problem is that the Ozil deal has created this situation where I always have hope, until the last minute of the last day of the transfer window.

Meh, a luxury buy that we were only able to pull off because it was last-minute and we had a straight shot at it. Should've paid the full whack for Higuain that summer instead.

We sacrificed the Liverpool result by not bringing Koscielny back earlier and not investing in a CB. We could potentially come away with 0 points in our first two games because we're prioritising haggling with Valencia over solidifying a crisis-hit position. Even if we 'do a madness' on deadline day, could already be too late.

I agree Wenger's lost it but you're acting like you're going to be happy if we finish mid table.

Seriously mate, things need to get drastic before anything positive happens at this club. The way Arsenal FC and Wenger operate its gonna get worse before we see improvements. I really hope we suffer this year and finish empty handed and Wengers leaves next summer.

I know I will get slated, fire away. Its how the club I followed man and boy make me feel now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Yea and why even spunk all his money on Xhaka if he was saving the pennies. Surely a striker should have always been the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The Ozil deal wasnt down to planning though. If Madrid hadnt signed Bale we wouldnt have signed Ozil. One of the main gripes with Wenger is too often this happens. He is reactive, not proactive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Seriously mate, things need to get drastic before anything positive happens at this club. The way Arsenal FC and Wenger operate its gonna get worse before we see improvements. I really hope we suffer this year and finish empty handed and Wengers leaves next summer.

I know I will get slated, fire away. Its how the club I followed man and boy make me feel now. :(

We don't need to hit rock bottom to improve, wishing your club fails is ridiculous regardless of your reasons mate.

keano_afc wrote: »
    The Ozil deal wasnt down to planning though. If Madrid hadnt signed Bale we wouldnt have signed Ozil. One of the main gripes with Wenger is too often this happens. He is reactive, not proactive.

Although surprisingly unreactive to the injuries to Mertesacker and Gabriel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Meh, a luxury buy that we were only able to pull off because it was last-minute and we had a straight shot at it. Should've paid the full whack for Higuain that summer instead.

We sacrificed the Liverpool result by not bringing Koscielny back earlier and not investing in a CB. We could potentially come away with 0 points in our first two games because we're prioritising haggling with Valencia over solidifying a crisis-hit position. Even if we 'do a madness' on deadline day, could already be too late.

Alternatively we could have rushed Kos back, he gets injured and Valencia increase their price again meaning we are even worse ****ed than before.

If there is still a risk of Kos getting injured, give him an extra game to recover. Even if we do lose, Kos getting injured and missing many more games would cost us a lot more in the long run, especially given the injuries we already have and no definitive experienced cover for him.

I was reading somewhere (can't remember where) in some pundit's column that Kos is carrying a knock, but should have still been rushed back for the Liverpool match 'because if you can carry a knock anywhere, it's at Centre Back'. Ok....

Well the Bale thing was always going to happen, it was dragged out all summer deliberately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

One was always dependent on the other and Bale to Madrid was the drawn out transfer deal of that Summer. There were even reports that Spurs were delaying to stop or at least delay the Ozil deal. Had Bale been sold quicker I'm sure Ozil would have arrived sooner as well.

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Yea and why even spunk all his money on Xhaka if he was saving the pennies. Surely a striker should have always been the priority.

When the right player comes along, he has no problem.

He just can't find the right striker. He's too fussy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Although surprisingly unreactive to the injuries to Mertesacker and Gabriel.

Indeed, I meant reactive when something lands in his lap. Reactive to squad needs, no. He is appalling at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Indeed, I meant reactive when something lands in his lap. Reactive to squad needs, no. He is appalling at that.

He managed to bring in Welbeck pretty quickly when Giroud got injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

How many central defenders will we have if we sign another? Send holding back out on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've been saying that all along. Its all talk to string the fans along.
    No deals planned at all.

mansize wrote: »
    How many central defenders will we have if we sign another? Send holding back out on loan?

We'd have too many but I think Holding may be better than some of our other options at CB.

I've been saying that all along. Its all talk to string the fans along.
    No deals planned at all.

I really hope you're not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I really hope you're not right.

|I firmly believe i am though.

What team could hope to succeed in this league having to begin the campaign with two rookie CB's and with no recognised CF on the field and a manager brazening it out?

Joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

So...

Cech
    Bellerin - Holding - Kos - Monreal
    Coq - Elneny
    Sanchez - Caz - Ox
    Walcott

I'm not including Xhaka as I had stopped paying attention in disgust last week but people said he was way off the pace.

Also Wally up front makes more sense to me than Sanchez. Whichever one goes up top, you're going to be limiting to very peripheral involvement. Sanchez offers so much on the wing that it's stupid to lose that for his very limited contribution up front. Taking Wally out of the game doesn't lose is nearly as much plus he's as capable of making a mark up front as Alexis.

Though I'm sure Wenger will go the other way simply because no-one knows why.

Excuse my French but where the f*ck are Ozil and Giroud???
    It will be 6 weeks and 2 days since Ozil played in the semi.

|I firmly believe i am though.

What team could hope to succeed in this league having to begin the campaign with two rookie CB's and with no recognised CF on the field and a manager brazening it out?

Joke shop.

Fully agree with this. A total Joke Shop.
    In May we were the second best team in the country.
    Realistically where are we now?? 5th, 6th???

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    Fully agree with this. A total Joke Shop.
    In May we were the second best team in the country.
    Realistically where are we now?? 5th, 6th???

I don't even what comments like this mean. This is based on watching every Premier League match last weekend and creating some ranking system? Or it's just some estimate from looking at the squads?

It's like every year people saying 'there's no way we'll get top 4'.

I don't even what comments like this mean. This is based on watching every Premier League match last weekend and creating some ranking system? Or it's just some estimate from looking at the squads?

It's like every year people saying 'there's no way we'll get top 4'.

Its from looking at our squad last year and looking at it today.
    Its from looking at Man Utds squad last year and looking at it today
    Its from looking at Man Citys squad last year and looking at it today
    Its from looking at Chelseas squad last year and looking at it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

The excitement I usually start feeling coming towards a Saturday game especially at 530 just isn't there.

Thanks arsenal:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

7th is my prediction this year unfortunately.
    Other teams have strengthened a lot
    We have not

Its from looking at our squad last year and looking at it today.
    Its from looking at Man Utds squad last year and looking at it today
    Its from looking at Man Citys squad last year and looking at it today
    Its from looking at Chelseas squad last year and looking at it today

So our squad has improved overall, but theirs have improved significantly more?

And Leicester? They have weakened overall, so are they above or below us?

What about Liverpool? They beat us, but are they above us in your rankings?

So our squad has improved overall, but theirs have improved significantly more?

And Leicester? They have weakened overall, so are they above or below us?

What about Liverpool? They beat us, but are they above us in your rankings?

What makes you say our squad as improved?

While I appreciate your post is laced with sarcasm I would put is roughly on a par with Liverpool and Spurs and behind the other 3.
    Leicester wont compete in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

I have been a Wenger out advocate for the last three odd years, even before some of my friends who are also supporters and unfortunately even they have now turned. It's strange, I'm not a Wenger out fan because of the supposed failures in the transfer market or the fact that we have been relatively consistent in our Premier League finishes albeit not challenging or the fact that we have only won a handful of trophies over the last few years.

I really like Wenger and the term Legend which is thrown about regularly and most times without true purpose can be attributed to him. I see him talk about the transfer market and the fact that he would rather buy quality over quantity and that has to be lauded. No point buying just for the sake of buying even though the fans are quite rightly annoyed in that the man in the street can see where we are weak and there is a failure somewhere in dealing with it.

I could handle all that, I could handle us buying for the future in certain players and not throwing money about all over the place. I could handle that ethos of a club who are mindful of spending and the reality of all the other costs that a club have rather than just the headline price of any player.

I would fully get behind him, but for me it is the insipid way that himself and the players approach matters on the pitch. We all know that it is "eleven v eleven" and all that but when Arsenal at least over the last half a decade face any of the top teams, that confident feeling I had has gone a long time. Just watching that Game last Sunday, after the game it wasn't a feeling of anger but more an expectation. I think deep down we all knew it would happen, even though we are probably the better team that doesn't matter to Arsenal. Even attempting to beat Man Utd over the last few years when they have been at their weakest has been a disaster. The Manchester clubs, Chelsea and all the rest will be a different animal this year and it will be less about who is on the pitch but more about how the team goes about winning at all costs. Cant remember the last time we done that. Wenger seems to put his teams out there and he expects them to beat us rather than looking at his opposition and attempting to win at all costs. I am not Mourinhos biggest fan and the way his teams play at times is not great but he sets up the team to win and they seem to go out there with a fire in their belly and inevitability come back in with points.

The malaise that has set in to the club over the last 5 or so years has seemed to creep in to all areas of the club and if we are truthful with ourselves then we can probably and with good evidence to back ourselves up, predict exactly how the season will pan out. Even if Wenger goes out today and spends 150 million, will that get us the successes day to day that we want our will it just turn in to a case of same old same old but at least we are happy that the club have spent money!

What makes you say our squad as improved?

While I appreciate your post is laced with sarcasm I would put is roughly on a par with Liverpool and Spurs and behind the other 3.
    Leicester wont compete in my opinion.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I genuinely wanted to know what this was based on.

In any case, the squads aren't finalised for another couple of weeks, if we don't sign anyone decent, even I might start to turn :D

Edit: I think our squad has improved through the signing of Xhaka, and hasn't been weakened in any way (unless you consider injuries).

I wasn't being sarcastic, I genuinely wanted to know what this was based on.

In any case, the squads aren't finalised for another couple of weeks, if we don't sign anyone decent, even I might start to turn :D

Edit: I think our squad has improved through the signing of Xhaka, and hasn't been weakened in any way (unless you consider injuries).

Ok fair enough on the first point.

You have to remember that 4 of our starting (if incl BFG which is debatable) are over 30. Every year at this stage makes them significantly weaker.

Giroud almost 30 also but as he never runs too much I guess it doesnt matter so much :)

What's bugging everyone tbh is that we're into a premiership season, a few days from the end of the window and Wenger's over-cautiousness in the transfer window means that we have one single reasonable option for the most important position on the team and he's not fit right now.

The thing I posted the other day of us actually spending more than Chelsea(net spend) opened my eyes a bit to what Wenger has done with the squad. I think he deserves quite a lot of credit for that. There was no value in the squad 4 years ago and he's added a huge amount, gotten rid of the older players, we have a great squad now with massive potential in many areas.

But we will not improve in terms of winning and challenging when our goal scoring requirements rest solely on Giroud and Sanchez.

The squad is like the invincibles but for the CF position. To win or even challenge with this squad we need 30 goals from Giroud and that's plainly not going to happen.

At some point Wenger needs to break from his long term thinking

Yes, Lacazette may not be the forward you want. Yes he might not work out.

But what every title chasing manager would do is say 'well maybe not but we'll buy him for 60 and sell him for 35 in 2 years if that's the case'.

Wenger has this massive aversion to taking players that he's even a little bit doubtful about. He doesn't always get it right but he seems terrified of getting it wrong, that it'll somehow hamper the squad building exercise he has going on.

He simply has to move on this issue. The backlash will be too much.

Maybe he'll be wrong but fcuk it, at least we'd be trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Exactly. Sure look at Liverpool and Benteke. Total waste of money and hasn't worked out at all. And yet when they sell him, they will recoup most of what they paid for him. There is risk but it's minimal.

He should just bite the bullet and buy a striker. And pay the going rate for mustafi. He clearly likes him so.....just pay it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement