Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I still am, while admitting we are struggling at the moment.

But I'm not getting into it with yis now.

Fair enough, though for the life of me I cant see why people are so blinded by loyalty to him to admit that the negatives far outweigh the positives at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I think we can still all agree that the man is an absolute legend, and should be treated with a serious amount of respect. I really don't want to see that sh*t of fans screaming abuse at him etc. Or banners saying "Wenger out" etc.
    He should probably go, but I still love the man, and will never lose respect for him.

Do you think if we brought in another manager and put Wenger as director of football, it would work? Or would Wenger still get to involved?

Id prefer to be a tit who actually understands football, tactics and ability .. than to not be a tit and go around thinking i ****ing knew what I was talking about like you and alot of others.

I dont need you to take me seriously, in fact Id start to get worried about myself if I found we ever had agreement on anything football related, check your post history you have no record of reading a game, player ability or Wengers ability.
    Ive been right for many years .

This is the thing.

I can understand why Coq might not play the ball forward often. I can understand why Giroud might be started against Swansea instead of Welbeck. I might not agree with these things, but I'm rational.

If someone opposes your view, or can offer some kind of reasoning which might go against your view, then you straight out believe they are wrong.

In my eyes, there's something wrong with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

DeclanRe wrote: »
    I think we can still all agree that the man is an absolute legend, and should be treated with a serious amount of respect. I really don't want to see that sh*t of fans screaming abuse at him etc. Or banners saying "Wenger out" etc.
    He should probably go, but I still love the man, and will never lose respect for him.

Do you think if we brought in another manager and put Wenger as director of football, it would work? Or would Wenger still get to involved?

Wenger as a DOF wouldn't surprise me, to be honest I feel who ever we get after Arsene will be expected to do as he did.

Stan needs to go more than Arsene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

omega man wrote: »
    We're now in a top 4 battle as much, if not more than, a title fight.

We haven't progressed this season from a points total to date and that paints a picture. The only reason we find ourselves with a chance to win it is solely down to the collapse of Chelsea and City.

I fully expect us to hit some form when it's too late but we'll just about secure top 4 and Wenger will be offered a contract extension. Depressing isn't it.

We're already in a top 4 battle. Wait till you see how the table will look after next weekend. We're up against City, Utd, West Ham, Liverpool, and maybe Stoke.

But once the player have accepted we have no chance to win title and need to scrape to 4th, they'll magically revert to the form they had at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soups123 wrote: »
    Wenger as a DOF wouldn't surprise me, to be honest I feel who ever we get after Arsene will be expected to do as he did.

Stan needs to go more than Arsene

Absolutely agree here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

On the way home after the match i have no words for it. Just met a season ticket holder on the flight back along with a west ham fan. The league is being handed to us like a full course meal but we simply do not take advantage what so ever. "
    "Typical Arsenal" was all i can hear from the Underground tube, the airport and the plane. I don't know what else to say really. If we don't beat spurs on the weekend then i am afraid we will be fighting 4th place again. I respected Wenger but it really looks like he can't inspire our players anymore. It's not only his fault but our players too have no urgency to get the ball. I was roaring when we kept passing sideways when there was an opportunity to shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Avoid defeat Saturday we're still in with a right chance of the title, just look at Spurs fixtures in April

Do I think Wenger can get this team going again, no I don't unfortunately

10 games left, lets hope we can get going and make a fight of it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Avoid defeat Saturday we're still in with a right chance of the title, just look at Spurs fixtures in April

Yeah I looked at the fixtures there, spurs have a fairly difficult bunch coming up,. It would be easy to convince myself we're in with a shout again but then I remember we managed to lose one of our "easy" matches last night and I'm just not going to do it to myself. Leicester have it pretty handy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Dont forget if Leicester win they will be 8 points ahead and United possibly only 2 points behind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Leaving the manager aside for a few minutes (please!)...

The squad can be improved, no question about that...BUT the ones that are there...they are certainly good enough if they were in form, to cruise most of the remaining games.

I just want to know why they have been so limp lately. Whatever about anything else, I don't buy for a second that Wenger doesn't care as long as we get CL. The man absolutely hates losing. And there's only so much he can do before kick off. Then it's up to the players to turn up.

I mean, it can't possibly be Wenger's fault Petr Cech made such a collossal f*ck up for their winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

What really drives me mad is the empty rhetoric that comes from the Arsenal staff.. The 'We are Fighers, We know how important this game is, We won't falter this year, We have to learn from our mistakes' etc etc anon anon anon is all bollox unless they back it up, which we consistently have failed to do over the last few years.
    I wonder, did the players go back into the dressing room last night to take a selfie to show the fans how upset they were and how they are hurting too, just like they go in take a selfie after winning a match, not a ****ing trophy but a match. I just do not understand this mentality and maybe I am old school but all of this selfie celebration nonsense should be done when you actually win the league. How stupid do the players look now with their selfie after the Leicester game? The next 4 games produce a draw with a Championship side and 3 defeats.
    This is the sort of attitude the runs rife through our club and nobody takes any responsibility for performances or defeats. When we play bad the same players play the following week, there is no incentive to play well because you know that you will play the following week. Ramsey and Sanchez are prime examples of this. Neither has played well for a nearly a month now and in Ramsey's case nearly 2 months but both still play every game.

So ****in frustrated ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

The squad can be improved, no question about that...BUT the ones that are there...they are certainly good enough if they were in form, to cruise most of the remaining games.

I just want to know why they have been so limp lately. Whatever about anything else, I don't buy for a second that Wenger doesn't care as long as we get CL. The man absolutely hates losing. And there's only so much he can do before kick off. Then it's up to the players to turn up.

I mean, it can't possibly be Wenger's fault Petr Cech made such a collossal f*ck up for their winner.

They make so many mistakes though. They are playing with fear.

1st goal.... Ozil was fouled alright but everyone totally switched off after that.

2nd goal..... From what I remember (could be wrong) there was a tussle in middle and looked like ball was going into touch just inside Swanseas half. All our players stopped and a Swansea player keeps it in and runs down the wing. Suddenly we are all over the f*cking shop.
    Gabriel charges over and makes a stupid foul. All needless.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In fairness the selfie stuff is just the times we live in unfortunately.

That squad we have when carrying a few is more than capable than winning that league

We have some fantastic players, Wenger is not getting the best out of them

I can only count 3 times we played seriously good football this season

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I looked at the fixtures there, spurs have a fairly difficult bunch coming up,. It would be easy to convince myself we're in with a shout again but then I remember we managed to lose one of our "easy" matches last night and I'm just not going to do it to myself. Leicester have it pretty handy anyway.

Win or loose the weekend, we will prob put a few results together, get within touching distance

Against all my best intentions I will start to believe again

Ya see its the hope that kills you really :)

That squad we have when carrying a few is more than capable than winning that league

We have some fantastic players, Wenger is not getting the best out of them

I can only count 3 times we played seriously good football this season

I'm sure Wenger can have an influence on the general mental attitude of the team, but individual players aren't stepping up either.

Does anyone know specifically what sport psychology work is done with the players?

Id love him to announce he is going in summer sometime soon

We could spend the last few months celebrating the great man Instead of the witch hunt to get him out

Some of these players havent been in form for a long time though, we havent been great all season tbf, even at the start we were only grinding out results without really dominating games in a convincing fashion.
    I know you dont want to be drawn into conversation about Wenger but its really hard to address any of our problems without involving him. Not just him too it must be said, the entire coaching staff need to answer questions.

Cech made a mistake last night which at the end of the day is only human, people will err all the time. What is unforgivable for me is the tactics (or lack of them) the poor attitude from many of the players, I know Sanchez is out of form but he still gives everything. Compare that to Walcott who is near on invisible and looks like he's trying to get as far from the ball as possible.
    You have fells switching off all the time, not learning from their mistakes, fellas ducking out of challenges and turning their arse to the ball from shots. People like Ramsey always trying the fancy flicks that arent on. Then you have the likes of Campbell, last night probably the best chance of creating something taken off - bizarre. Our complete inability to work a corner to our advantage, Its the same ole mistakes being made over and over, either the players are very dim or they are not being instructed correctly because someones not changing things.

So while Wenger is taking the brunt of the flak theres a good few alongside him that are accountable too

wonga77 wrote: »
    Some of these players havent been in form for a long time though, we havent been great all season tbf, even at the start we were only grinding out results without really dominating games in a convincing fashion.
    I know you dont want to be drawn into conversation about Wenger but its really hard to address any of our problems without involving him. Not just him too it must be said, the entire coaching staff need to answer questions.

Cech made a mistake last night which at the end of the day is only human, people will err all the time. What is unforgivable for me is the tactics (or lack of them) the poor attitude from many of the players, I know Sanchez is out of form but he still gives everything. Compare that to Walcott who is near on invisible and looks like he's trying to get as far from the ball as possible.
    You have fells switching off all the time, not learning from their mistakes, fellas ducking out of challenges and turning their arse to the ball from shots. People like Ramsey always trying the fancy flicks that usually arent on. Then you have the likes of Campbell, last night probably the best chance of creating something taken off - bizarre. Our complete inability to work a corner to our advantage, Its the same ole mistakes being made over and over, either the players are very dim or they are not being instructed correctly because someones not changing things.

So while Wenger is taking the brunt of the flak theres a good few alongside him that are accountable too

The only performances I can think of where we genuinely played well were United at home and the last CL group game against Olympiakos, everything good since then has been pretty laboured. Would probably throw the victory over Bayeen in there too as another high point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

and why does someone disagree in taking Mourinho to arsenal?

Absolutely not. No way. Not now, not ever. For the same reasons as pointed out earlier.

If this was a normal club we would have a Wenger replacement lined up at the end of the year...in fact now would be a good time to get rid and get in someone who can push this team to the title.

The saddest part for me, was the final whistle blew and I wasn't one bit mad or sad

None of my mates could wind me up, and even today I still not mad

That too me shows I'm used to it or I'm loosing interest, both point too sad times for someone who lives and breaths the club

I'm being shown pity by my united friends. We've been utterly humiliated in recent years. We are just pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

New thread, still gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm being shown pity by my united friends. We've been utterly humiliated in recent years. We are just pathetic.

Yep I was giving them loads of slagging earlier in the season. They aren't even bothering to slag me back now. For them it's normal that we implode, it's not even worth giving me abuse over it! I think that is the most telling, we're not even seen as a threat even though we are currently ahead of them in the League.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The team are muck at the moment, no denying it. But so is everyone else. The results last night really kept us in the race and a win on Saturday would, I believe, have us within 4 points of Leicester - who i believe will drop points against Watford.

yes we don't deserve it, yes there are issues but I'm not going to hand back the trophy if we somehow manage to nick it at the end. Leicester's run in is horrible at the end, beat Spurs and we still have a chance.

We can debate whether we deserve it or whether AW should go, at a later date.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The team are muck at the moment, no denying it. But so is everyone else. The results last night really kept us in the race and a win on Saturday would, I believe, have us within 4 points of Leicester - who i believe will drop points against Watford.

yes we don't deserve it, yes there are issues but I'm not going to hand back the trophy if we somehow manage to nick it at the end. Leicester's run in is horrible at the end, beat Spurs and we still have a chance.

We can debate whether we deserve it or whether AW should go, at a later date.

I don't think we will win it

But if we do, then we deserve it whoever wins after 38 games deserve it

Regardless of quailty of league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep I was giving them loads of slagging earlier in the season. They aren't even bothering to slag me back now. For them it's normal that we implode, it's not even worth giving me abuse over it! I think that is the most telling, we're not even seen as a threat even though we are currently ahead of them in the League.

My opinion is that If we ( United ) played you in a Neutral Stadium over 10 games

Currently Arsenal would come out on top.

It is weird that your team implodes every season no matter which players you bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Wenger got used to doing 'just enough' during the stadium build and repayment years, he has lost the winning mentality,as a result ye have a fantastic stadium and facilities but the wrong man to lead ye forward,hes too old to get that back,fantastic servant but for arsenal to progress wenger needs to leave at seasons end,not a dof either,new blood is required.

• Advertisement

Wenger got used to doing 'just enough' during the stadium build and repayment years, he has lost the winning mentality,as a result ye have a fantastic stadium and facilities but the wrong man to lead ye forward,hes too old to get that back,fantastic servant but for arsenal to progress wenger needs to leave at seasons end,not a dof either,new blood is required.

True, but not any new blood. I'd rather persevere with Wenger than have someone like Mourinho in.

I don't even know if he got used to doing just enough, anyway. He overachieved with average players. Now he's underachieving with better players. Go figure.

He's completely lost it but just saying what most fans are thinking these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I will settle now for a CL place next season, a new manager and a half dozen new players of quality.

That's the problem and the height of Wenger's ambition it seems.
    That's the worst thing we could hope for as it will just mean rinse and repeat and more false promises.

wer all very upset and emotional tonight and justifiably so but putting a rational head on for a second...if you are Arsene Wenger..you have looked at...

Alexis fluffing two exceptional chances...that he would have hammered in a while back...
    Peter Cech....shocking for the goal (which is offside)
    Bellerin (your contender for POTY) completely switching off.

that's 3 of our best and best most dependable at fault tonight.

that said I don't have much faith for Saturday....unless everything Alexis hits goes in....its due.

Agree with that BUT it's the same story on a loop all the time. Happens to us continually.
    The biggest miss last night was Giroud's when he hit the bar instead of making it two nil. That chance would have been converted by 90% of striker imo. That was the game. I am getting very frustrated watching him looking up to the Heavens with his hands on his head. I think he just a bit-part player now. We need a proper striker. He was just another Wenger cheap option like Gabriel is looking to be.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'd love to hear an explanation for the Campbell decision. Utterly baffling!

Dreading the NLD now... Sign of the times, used to relish them!

Wenger said that he thought Campbell might be tired as he hasn't played much ???
    What a ****ty excuse to use. I'm beginning to detest Wenger as he'd say anything to cover his own ineptitude. Campbell looked very fit and eager to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wenger said that he thought Campbell might be tired as he hasn't played much ???
    What a ****ty excuse to use. I'm beginning to detest Wenger as he'd say anything to cover his own ineptitude. Campbell looked very fit and eager to me.

Hi substitutions recently have been baffling. I'm just surprised we didnt see Flamini last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    It is weird that your team implodes every season no matter which players you bring in.

There is one constant factor, the manager.

At this rate. I want us to buy the title and get Mourinho even for just two seasons. Don't care I want to smile again and celebrate with my club at all costs

You won't smile much by the time he's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

You won't smile much by the time he's finished.

i will

anyways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHnPTjbhWAo

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

No Cech & no Kos for the Spurs match doesn't bode well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Andip wrote: »

Kos was missed last night. Gab and Mertersacker both switched off for the equaliser. I'm sure Kos would have been alert to the danger

greendom wrote: »
    Kos was missed last night. Gab and Mertersacker both switched off for the equaliser. I'm sure Kos would have been alert to the danger

They switched off for the first goal too.
    Our defence has been a mess for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

The reason for the current malaise isn't down to one thing, but the following are major factors:

1. Lack of a quality striker. If you look at the amount of possession we've had in most games and the supply that Ozil brings vs the return in points it's clear this must represent at least a 10-12 point swing against us.

2. This lack of winning erodes overall player confidence and leads to a vicious cycle of self-doubt, "trying too hard" and sub-standard performances. Sanchez and Giroud would be a prime examples.

3. Some players are essentially un-dropable regardless of performance. That can't be good for motivation.

4. Apart from last night, I almost never see Wenger display anger at the piss poor performances. While I've no evidence it seems to me that players aren't afraid of him (see 3).

All of these are down to Wenger and that is why he should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Polo_Mint wrote: »

If only there was a common denominator in all of the Arsenal teams in the past ten years.............:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Andip wrote: »

Ah Shure it's a ready made excuse for Wenger, when we get hammered on Saturday. Along with mental strength etc.

SkySter wrote: »
    The reason for the current malaise isn't down to one thing, but the following are major factors:

1. Lack of a quality striker. If you look at the amount of possession we've had in most games and the supply that Ozil brings vs the return in points it's clear this must represent at least a 10-12 point swing against us.

2. This lack of winning erodes overall player confidence and leads to a vicious cycle of self-doubt, "trying too hard" and sub-standard performances. Sanchez and Giroud would be a prime examples.

3. Some players are essentially un-dropable regardless of performance. That can't be good for motivation.

4. Apart from last night, I almost never see Wenger display anger at the piss poor performances. While I've no evidence it seems to me that players aren't afraid of him (see 3).

All of these are down to Wenger and that is why he should go.

That was faux outrage from Wenger.
    He doesn't give a damn.
    If he did he'd have done a Ronseal and dealt with the problem last season and the season before and the season before .....

14th in the last 6 form, 12th in the last 10. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

lol

What are you saying? That we aren't playing well?

As everyone keeps saying when stats are brought out about good runs, or how we are on a calendar year, all that matters is where we place over 38.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement