Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

greendom wrote: »
    Good news on Welbeck but I hope it doesn't deter him from getting another striker.

With Arsene saying that he has forward options with Giroud, Walcott and Alexis I can't see him buying a striker now.

Not sure what to make of the Vardy move or how it made sense buy it failed so probably best not to analyse too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Good news on Welbeck but I hope it doesn't deter him from getting another striker.

What type of flowers will you be sending me? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Welbeck news is impossible to know if it true. I don't care how good the medical team are, they cannot have a return date so precise more than three months out. Hell they can't even decide any more than a week out. The release of this news unfortunately is the final nail in the coffin of any hope we had of signing a striker this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    The Welbeck news is impossible to know if it true. I don't care how good the medical team are, they cannot have a return date so precise more than three months out. Hell they can't even decide any more than a week out. The release of this news unfortunately is the final nail in the coffin of any hope we had of signing a striker this window.

Gets us out of having to invest. ;)
    What price a relapse when the window closes?
    Welbeck is not the 20 goal striker we need anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Going to try keep track of goal scorer's and assister's this year. League goals and assists in brackets

Goals
    Walcott (1) 1
    Chamberlain (1) 1
    Chambers (1) 1

Assists
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Iwobi (1) 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What type of flowers will you be sending me? :pac:

I don't know. I imagine they will be wilted.

Not giving up hope just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oh look, a player got a good medical report....

FFS Wenger!!!:mad:

As far as I can remember, Welbeck was originally given Christmas as a return date following the injury. This won't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ever think this could be just used to let others think we're not that desperate? Or maybe, perish the thought, it could be the truth!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Ever think this could be just used to let others think we're not that desperate? Or maybe, perish the thought, it could be the truth!

Even if he was back now he's not the 20 goal striker we need. We'd be the same as last season which was not good enough.
    We need a 20 goal striker and a proper experienced CB.

emmetlego wrote: »

What?? The truth??

So we're expected to say 'that's good' or 'great, Welbeck's a decent guy. Delighted for him'

• Advertisement

This place is hilarious.

Last week, Wenger said that Welbeck is doing well and is approximately 4 months out. This week, he says the same thing slightly differently, and people go as far as to say that we now don't need a new striker! :pac:

This thread stinks.

Mods ye know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This thread stinks.

Mods ye know what to do.

Wait till you see it after the Leicester defeat.

Could this Welbeck news be a play for buying a striker?

A, "we're not THAT desperate to buy, so accept the offer or we'll be off" type of play?

Basil3 wrote: »
    This place is hilarious.

Last week, Wenger said that Welbeck is doing well and is approximately 4 months out. This week, he says the same thing slightly differently, and people go as far as to say that we now don't need a new striker! :pac:

Didn't see anyone say that in fairness.

Didn't see anyone say that in fairness.

What I meant is people saying that the club will use it a reason for us to not get/need a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This thread stinks.

Mods ye know what to do.

Has something unusual happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Seems v like any Arsenal thread ever

It's neither here nor there, cos it's all transfer talk right now...

But Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we get so f***ed by injuries, it's unreal.

Like, if Gab and Per were fit, The Pool would never have got four at our gaf.

It's just absolutely preposterous. Both were injured during the summer break! How does that even happen??

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Has something unusual happened?

I was trying to reference the whole 10,000+ posts in the thread. I think the thread may be jinxed.

Basil3 wrote: »
    What I meant is people saying that the club will use it a reason for us to not get/need a striker.

You think that hasn't happened before.
    "be like a new signing".

It's neither here nor there, cos it's all transfer talk right now...

But Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we get so f***ed by injuries, it's unreal.

Like, if Gab and Per were fit, The Pool would never have got four at our gaf.

It's just absolutely preposterous. Both were injured during the summer break! How does that even happen??

Ha ha I agree with you. Our injury record is horrendous.
    I remember Giroud getting injured when the ball hit him on the thigh during the kick-around a few years ago.

I wonder if Southampton would sell Fonte to us?

The club needs a new thread!

On another note the team only conceded 11 at home all last season. We'll do well to equal or better that after last Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Another great goal by Ibra in fairness

• Advertisement

Another great goal by Ibra in fairness

Great header BUT feeble attempt to block Rooney's cross led to the goal.

God damn good strikers scoring goals again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Lyon 1-0 up at half time...Lacazette scored it.

God damn good strikers scoring goals again.

In fairness to United they recognised gaps and filled them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

j14 wrote: »
    Lyon 1-0 up at half time...Lacazette scored it.

woudnt you know it :rolleyes: thats another 10 mil added on him now ...

• Advertisement

Great header BUT feeble attempt to block Rooney's cross led to the goal.

True, but a striker can only take what he's given

Are Kos and Ozil back tomorrow lads?

Are Kos and Ozil back tomorrow lads?

Wenger said if he were to risk anyone it would be Kos

Wenger said if he were to risk anyone it would be Kos

Jack might start tomorrow then.

Can't help but look on a little enviously at Old Trafford tonight. A manager who recognised what was needed in his team and rectified the situation. Im no fan of Jose but hes gone in there and done what needed to be done. New players bringing a buzz to the ground.

United needed the same players we did in this window.

Defender:
    United: Bailey
    Arsenal: Holding and TBC

Midfielder:
    United: Pogba
    Arsenal: Xhaka

Striker:
    United: Zlatan
    Arsenal: Asano and TBC

Southampton could take points off United tonight yet.

Can't help but look on a little enviously at Old Trafford tonight. A manager who recognised what was needed in his team and rectified the situation. Im no fan of Jose but hes gone in there and done what needed to be done. New players bringing a buzz to the ground.

Defender:

Midfielder:

Striker:

I'm pretty sure yer man Valencia is playing for them too. The grass isn't always greener.

Plus their manager...ha, their welcome to that fella. Can't wait it all goes tits up for them (usually soon enough after all the players start to hate him).

Defender:

Midfielder:

Striker:

zlatan is 34 and Pogba is overrated and overpriced if you ask me. Im not saying we are doing things correctly but this new regime at United will end in tears at some stage. This is certainly not a 26 year run ala Fergie

9 in their own half tonight....'the United way' :rolleyes:

Defender:

Midfielder:

Striker:

By my estimation, since Fergie left, Utd have spent about 17 billion on midfielders. You can't really just gaze longingly because they got it right finally.

I mean they couldn't keep getting it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

zlatan is 34 and Pogba is overrated and overpriced if you ask me. Im not saying we are doing things correctly but this new regime at United will end in tears at some stage. This is certainly not a 26 year run ala Fergie

9 in their own half tonight....'the United way' :rolleyes:

Yeah that 34 year old is a terrible signing alright.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Yeah that 34 year old is a terrible signing alright.

hes a outstanding player and i like Zlatan to be honest but i mean long term what can you really expect to get out of him for the money he is being paid to him? 4 years younger id say fair enough but your looking at 2 years at a stretch.

Di Maria was brilliant for his first three games, I seem to remember.

Di Maria was brilliant for his first three games, I seem to remember.
    Zlatan is a physical player. He will do well in his term for United but the thinking is pretty much short term to be honest

Zlatan is a physical player. He will do well in his term for United but the thinking is pretty much short term to be honest

He's also playing at home to a weakened Southampton.

He's also playing at home to a weakened Southampton.

And Southampton have had their opportunities tonigh

I reckon it's just that fact that Utd were decisive. No messing around and got their signings done before the start of the season. We just seem to mess around. I'd love for us to just go out there and buy the players that we have needed for so long. I'd love to have the optimism that the Utd fans are showing this season but we seem to be facing another "nearly" season.

How about Van Dijk? I wouldnt mind him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

United have spent a lot and are on their 3rd manager, up to now they haven't got it right.

However they are a club that 'wants' to win the league they may have got it wrong but they put on field success first, they don't want top 4 or a good CL run then want to win those trophies

I envy that feeling as a fan

I reckon it's just that fact that Utd were decisive. No messing around and got their signings done before the start of the season. We just seem to mess around. I'd love for us to just go out there and buy the players that we have needed for so long. I'd love to have the optimism that the Utd fans are showing this season but we seem to be facing another "nearly" season.

There is no nearly this time. I really fear we'll be playing catch up due to the latest ineptitude from our manager. There will be no winning any games against the top teams yet again. united are the end of the scale in my opinion. Chelsea have bought the most sensible out of City, United, and themselves. Liverpool have an excellent manager but it remains to be seen what they will do. Same with Tottenham

• Advertisement

Decisive me hoop!

They've had about five seasons of absolutely lashing cash at anyone Jorge Mendes or Rino Maiola tell them to.

And in the process, sacking several managers despite "not being a sacking club", in the end resorting in desparation for success to the world's most unpleasant chequebook manager.

There's a lot we're doing wrong, but f*ck that for a game of soldiers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement