Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Decisive me hoop!

They've had about five seasons of absolutely lashing cash at anyone Jorge Mendes or Rino Maiola tell them to.

And in the process, sacking a several managers despite "not being a sacking club", in the end resorting in desparation for success to the world's most unpleasant chequebook manager.

There's a lot we're doing wrong, but f*ck that for a game of soldiers.

Exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I think the obsession over transfers is causing many to overlook the more glaring definiency from Sunday. Our midfield don't offer our defenders any protection.

All of Liverpool's goals from play were due to Iwobi and then Chamberlain leaving way too much of a gap between themselves and Monreal. Monreal, arguably the best left back in the league last year, made to look like an idiot by a couple of overlaps.

This is far from a new problem. And even more frustrating, there were signs in the first half we'd been working on the issue, the high press worked really really well when we did. And then in the second half we do what we normally do and fall asleep.

Doesn't matter how good a CB or ST we bring in might be, we wont go anywhere if we can't stop our midfield leaving such holes for the opposition to exploit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Ol' Donie wrote:
    Decisive me hoop!

Ol' Donie wrote:
    They've had about five seasons of absolutely lashing cash at anyone Jorge Mendes or Rino Maiola tell them to.

Ol' Donie wrote:
    And in the process, sacking a several managers despite "not being a sacking club", in the end resorting in desparation for success to the world's most unpleasant chequebook manager.

Ol' Donie wrote:
    There's a lot we're doing wrong, but f*ck that for a game of soldiers.

I meant they were decisive this transfer window. I love the class that we have as a club but I just wish we were more ambitious.

They recognised who they wanted and got them signed. We know what we need but are still doing nothing about it.

I also forgot that they signed Mkhitaryan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

United look good, some great signings early in the window and two games in the team looks quite settled already. Its pays not to be doing the idiot waiting for the last day of window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I think the obsession over transfers is causing many to overlook the more glaring definiency from Sunday. Our midfield don't offer our defenders any protection.

All of Liverpool's goals from play were due to Iwobi and then Chamberlain leaving way too much of a gap between themselves and Monreal. Monreal, arguably the best left back in the league last year, made to look like an idiot by a couple of overlaps.

This is far from a new problem. And even more frustrating, there were signs in the first half we'd been working on the issue, the high press worked really really well when we did. And then in the second half we do what we normally do and fall asleep.

Doesn't matter how good a CB or ST we bring in might be, we wont go anywhere if we can't stop our midfield leaving such holes for the opposition to exploit.

Thats why we badly miss Welbeck. Will do the dirty work and track back. Should be an automatic starter with Alexis and Ozil in the three behind the striker when he comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

liam7831 wrote: »
    United look good, some great signings early in the window and two games in the team looks quite settled already. Its pays not to be doing the idiot waiting for the last day of window

Pogba was not completed early though although he seems to have settled into their way of playing fairly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Pogba was not completed early though although he seems to have settled into their way of playing fairly well.

Ya he will be disappointed not to have scored, especially with the header.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ya he will be disappointed not to have scored, especially with the header.

Their 4 new signings played very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

And he's been there for at least a week and isn't injured yet.

How do they do this?? Like, all the other clubs?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    And he's been there for at least a week and isn't injured yet.

How do they do this?? Like, all the other clubs?

Indeed. When we need a class player we seem to get a glass player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Looking forward to Zlatan bullying our CBs when we play them.

Looking forward to Zlatan bullying our CBs when we play them.

We're gonna have CBs later this season?

Yes!

Dunno if anyone else saw this.... fairly interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Very interesting, It begs the question, just how much influence or power does Usmanov hold? You would think that owning 30% would be enough but it obviously doesnt work that way. Over £200 million in cash reserves is crazy money to have considering how reluctant they are to part with it

oh and Lacazette scored twice tonight for Lyon, so thats 5 in the first two league games. I dunno if we are serious about him, id have my doubts tbh but Lyons bargaining power has increased anyways and he wont be coming cheaply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I would think that it is the managers choice of system that causes our defencive frailties. Its hard to blame the midfielders alone on this one.

But overall you are quite correct. We get caught out defensively far too often/easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Rumours of Campbell to Sporting on loan. Better be to make room for an incoming player ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wait until Ye read wengers comments about strikers

Wait until Ye read wengers comments about strikers

Was hoping they weren't his comments.

• Advertisement

Love this beauty.

"We have Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott, Akpom and [Yaya] Sanogo who is still here but is injured at the moment -- the players we buy have to be better".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

omega man wrote: »
    Love this beauty.

"We have Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott, Akpom and [Yaya] Sanogo who is still here but is injured at the moment -- the players we buy have to be better".

Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Love this beauty.

more like the players i WONT buy have to be better :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Love this beauty.

"We have Giroud, two wingers, an inexperienced youngster and a donkey." Good stuff.

And is used Real Madrid as an example of a team that hasn't bought a striker

The same Real Madrid that has

Bale
    Ronaldo
    Benezma

And brought back morata

It's astonishing that interview

gosplan wrote: »
    Makes sense.

Seriously? Only Giroud is an actual starting striker. How hard is it to find a better striker then the rest....??

Meh, I wouldnt read too much into it, We have Giroud and Sanchez and we know what they offer. Theo is Theo, shouldnt be near the team but we're stuck with him. Akpom is interesting, id like to see how he can do if given a decent chance. He probably would have been better off not mentioning Sanogo though.
    Either way anything Wenger says should be taken with a pinch of salt especially during the transfer window

Seriously? Only Giroud is an actual starting striker. How hard is it to find a better striker then the rest....??

Read the quote again there.

He listed all the strikers at the club and said the player we buy needs to be better than all of these guys.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Meh, I wouldnt read too much into it, We have Giroud and Sanchez and we know what they offer. Theo is Theo, shouldnt be near the team but we're stuck with him. Akpom is interesting, id like to see how he can do if given a decent chance. He probably would have been better off not mentioning Sanogo though.
    Either way anything Wenger says should be taken with a pinch of salt especially during the transfer window

Quiet possibly

But why the fûck with he fan the flames of a fanbase that's ready to explode

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Dunno if anyone else saw this.... fairly interesting.

One thing that Video doesn't mention, but Arsenal have a number of restrictions placed upon them by the terms of the long term bonds issued back in 2006/2007 for the stadium. Among the things the club has committed to (source):
    • Maintaining positive cashflow
    • Reinvest at least 70% of all transfer proceeds
    • Limitations on the debt the club can have
    • Ringfencing cash for debt payments and other stadium costs
    I'm not sure how much of the above really impacts the day to day running of the club these days given the broadcasting revenue, but it would almost certainly make it more difficult for Arsenal to move quickly when it comes to handing over large sums in the transfer market given all the checks and stress tests to club has to adhere to. :(

He listed all the strikers at the club and said the player we buy needs to be better than all of these guys.

I know but most aren't strikers and therefore should be easy to find better 'strikers'.

Quiet possibly

But why the fûck with he fan the flames of a fanbase that's ready to explode

I honestly dont think he gives a tupennys fúck about what the fans think, he has given so many interviews down through the years that looked like he was trolling, this ones no different.

I know but most aren't strikers and therefore should be easy to find better 'strikers'.

Doesn't Alexis play striker for Chile?

Grand but that's a different point.

It will be criminal if no forward signing is made. And Wenger's last year.

The bastard!

• Advertisement

One thing that Video doesn't mention, but Arsenal have a number of restrictions placed upon them by the terms of the long term bonds issued back in 2006/2007 for the stadium. Among the things the club has committed to (source):
    • Maintaining positive cashflow
    • Reinvest at least 70% of all transfer proceeds
    • Limitations on the debt the club can have
    • Ringfencing cash for debt payments and other stadium costs
    I'm not sure how much of the above really impacts the day to day running of the club these days given the broadcasting revenue, but it would almost certainly make it more difficult for Arsenal to move quickly when it comes to handing over large sums in the transfer market given all the checks and stress tests to club has to adhere to. :(
    A third of the current cash reserves could buy the debt out. The interest payments are huge for what they could be paid off, only reason to keep both the debt and the huge cash reserves are for leverage for Kroenke's other debts, there's no logical reason other than that why they'd keep the debts as they are.

Heh, we're that irrelevant that the thread has gone over the 10k threshold for 12 hours without being closed :P

Heh, we're that irrelevant that the thread has gone over the 10k threshold for 12 hours without being closed :P

Defo worst super thread ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Campbell going out on loan to Sporting. Of all his mind boggling decisions the last few seasons, his treatment of Campbell is right up there. Set up goals, scored goals and worked hard every time he played, and binned at the first opportunity for the halfwits walcott and ox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

kellso81 wrote: »
    Campbell going out on loan to Sporting. Of all his mind boggling decisions the last few seasons, his treatment of Campbell is right up there. Set up goals, scored goals and worked hard every time he played, and binned at the first opportunity for the halfwits walcott and ox.

At the end of the day, no more than the other two, I don't think he's good enough. Walcott and Ox have actually looked decent so far from pre season on

• Advertisement

It is a weird one alright, but for me he is nothing more than a decent squad player. I actually think he's best suited to play in the middle, as he has good ball control and can play a great through-ball. Unfortunately we already have too many options there.

I've said it plenty of times before, but I think his speed and endurance let him down. The Ox definitely has the x-factor of pace, and the ability to beat a man. Something that Joel doesn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I find it truely baffling that Canpbell is sent out on loan when you have chancers like Walcott, Sanogo and Chamberlain classed as potential attacking players. Laughable stuff.

L'prof wrote: »
    At the end of the day, no more than the other two, I don't think he's good enough. Walcott and Ox have actually looked decent so far from pre season on

Thought he looked better than both of them in preseason and think people's judgement is being clouded because both of them scored last week. They both put in terrible performances

Thought he looked better than both of them in preseason and think people's judgement is being clouded because both of them scored last week. They both put in terrible performances

Big call. I thought the Ox was our player of the preseason, he seriously looked dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Big call. I thought the Ox was our player of the preseason, he seriously looked dangerous.

Same. If he can kick in from that he'll have a good season

The time he lost the ball and just watched as they ran up the field attacking infuriated me. Didn't even walk back, just stood there. He's great at scoring goals when it doesn't matter.

No-one knows really how good campbell could be because he hasn't been given a fair chance, even when he's played well enough to deserve it. Just infuriates me that the other two get regular games time after time and never show it while he's remained a bit part. A time has to come when 'potential' just isn't enough with all the chances given. Their time has passed and yet Campbell's the one getting turfed out

The time he lost the ball and just watched as they ran up the field attacking infuriated me. Didn't even walk back, just stood there. He's great at scoring goals when it doesn't matter.

No-one knows really how good campbell could be because he hasn't been given a fair chance, even when he's played well enough to deserve it. Just infuriates me that the other two get regular games time after time and never show it while he's remained a bit part. A time has to come when 'potential' just isn't enough with all the chances given. Their time has passed and yet Campbell's the one getting turfed out

Are you talking about the Ox not tracking back in the Liverpool match, or another? I think he's generally very good at working hard to get back.

There are a lot of players that a lot of people here look very critically at, particularly the English players. At the end of the day, it's the EPL, and Wenger seems to show a bit more faith in some of the English guys. Maybe it's what he's showing in training.

The Ox has scored 3 goals of real quality in his last handful of matches, and this can only be a good thing, surely? Our main issue from last year is scoring goals, and I won't complain if he's part of the remedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I've said it plenty of times before, but I think his speed and endurance let him down. The Ox definitely has the x-factor of pace, and the ability to beat a man. Something that Joel doesn't have.

The last thing I'd criticise about Campbell is his pace.

He's a tidier and more intelligent player than the Ox, has a keen eye for a pass, can finish, tracks back every time and works his bollocks off for the team. He's no world beater but he's a far better option than Chamberlain or Walcott.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The last thing I'd criticise about Campbell is his pace.

He's a tidier and more intelligent player than the Ox, has a keen eye for a pass, can finish, tracks back every time and works his bollocks off for the team. He's no world beater but he's a far better option than Chamberlain or Walcott.

He's not slow, but he's not fast enough to beat a man with outright speed. I'd still only put Ox, Walcott, Bellerin and Gnabry (if he stays/plays) in that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He's not slow, but he's not fast enough to beat a man with outright speed. I'd still only put Ox, Walcott, Bellerin and Gnabry (if he stays/plays) in that category.

And Welbeck!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement