Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

sonic85 wrote: »
    Are they all girouds though? He got 20 plus goals in montpelliers title winning season too didn't he and I'm sure a lot of people would've pointed to him and said he was a good player with loads of potential. Don't get me wrong I like giroud but he's just a back up at best. Shouldn't be the main man at any club with title winning aspirations

He was almost 24 before getting into Ligue 1. He scored 11 in his first season then 21. It's not proven quality.

Gabriel was 24 when he signed for us after just a season and a half at Villareal. Before that he was in a team in Italy bouncing between Serie A and Serie B.

Our scouting team are nicking a living.

omega man wrote: »
    And as for Kroenke's comments about not being in it for winning championships and talking about the importance of the brand, well then the future looks bleak for our club from an on the pitch perspective at least.

That's not exactly what he said. I think he used his words poorly though, as you could think they mean he didn't want to win championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's not exactly what he said. I think he used his words poorly though, as you could think they mean he didn't want to win championships.

He said "If you want to win championships then you would never get involved".

How else would you interpret that? It doesn't matter if he meant to say something else. What he actually said was disgraceful. To me it says a lot about where we are as a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

He was almost 24 before getting into Ligue 1. He scored 11 in his first season then 21. It's not proven quality.

Gabriel was 24 when he signed for us after just a season and a half at Villareal. Before that he was in a team in Italy bouncing between Serie A and Serie B.

I know it's not proven quality I was just responding to a poster that said there are 10 or 15 strikers around Europe like the man at ajax. Players that are probably solid and will do a job as a back up but not good enough to lead the line for a team in a competitive league who want to win titles.

It's time to stop the penny pinching crap and buy quality. Players who are a marked improvement on what we have and can move us up a level. The bones of a decent team are there were not doing enough to push on

Kroenke talks about being a fan of Moneyball and using analytics to find new players. He's even been out-moneyballed by Leicester. Let's see if this new analytics whizzkid from Leicester makes a difference with our signings. Unfortunately it points more towards signing another Gabriel or Elneny than proven world class talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many here saying that we have a great squad yet we are not proving that with results or performances. Something is wrong in the club and it's not just with the team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The players aren't the problem.

sonic85 wrote: »
    I know it's not proven quality I was just responding to a poster that said there are 10 or 15 strikers around Europe like the man at ajax. Players that are probably solid and will do a job as a back up but not good enough to lead the line for a team in a competitive league who want to win titles.

It's time to stop the penny pinching crap and buy quality. Players who are a marked improvement on what we have and can move us up a level. The bones of a decent team are there were not doing enough to push on

Thing is there'll be exceptions but I'd love to know what they saw in Gabriel. Or was it just when he got here he forgot how to defend?

They're part of it. I know I keep criticising Welbeck. He'll give his all, he'll chip in sometimes etc. but however much people want to pretend otherwise hes got a pretty low ceiling as to how food he can be.

Has that not been fairly obvious for a while though? That the club were not that interested in pushing on and actually competing outright for the league? How many years have posters been here at the start of the season expressing concern for the lack of activity in transfer windows? How many years have people been pointing out the glaring weaknesses in the team/squad? And how many years have they been proven right. None of what's going on now has happened overnight.

Either people at the club have actually felt we were good enough which is delusional or they knew we were sub par and let the charade happen anyway which is gross negligence. Either one is a sacking offence in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Boo hoo we won't even have a St. Totteringham's Day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

They're part of it. I know I keep criticising Welbeck. He'll give his all, he'll chip in sometimes etc. but however much people want to pretend otherwise hes got a pretty low ceiling as to how food he can be.

I know things are bad, but I hope we don't resort to eating the players ��

Thing is there'll be exceptions but I'd love to know what they saw in Gabriel. Or was it just when he got here he forgot how to defend?

He was touted as the club's first big signing based on analytics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm all for a change in manager

But I don't think we will see the club move forward without change above the manager

On the game itself

Thought elneny was very good

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They're part of it. I know I keep criticising Welbeck.
    Meh, they're more than good enough to be winning the league comfortably this year.

Meh, they're more than good enough to be winning the league comfortably this year.

Apart from not winning the league the standard of football has been rubbish for the last number of years and it's getting worse.

I'm hopeful he'll come good - or at least get better (can't get much worse) but the farce against united really turned me off him. To let a nobody like rashford just run across him without following him and let him nod the ball in and then lash kos as if it was his fault was disgraceful and the actions of a coward. Another reason I'd love to see an adams in there - give him a bollocking.

What's adams at these days? Could he be brought back to do a bit of coaching? I'd love to see him there in some capacity. Though I said the same about bould and look how that's turned out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I agree, ok we could do with some more depth in the squad for rotation, but I believe, especially this year, we could have won both the Premiership and the FA Cup.

My fear is that another barren season leaves us very unattractive to big signings and also threatens the longevity of the likes of Sanchez and Ozil given the draw of the money & managers at City, Pool & potentially Utd

Andip wrote: »
    I agree, ok we could do with some more depth in the squad for rotation, but I believe, especially this year, we could have won both the Premiership and the FA Cup.

My fear is that another barren season leaves us very unattractive to big signings and also threatens the longevity of the likes of Sanchez and Ozil given the draw of the money & managers at City, Pool & potentially Utd

Meh once players are getting paid enough they will go anywhere

(Not saying we will pay enough mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

As much as I agree Wenger is dragging us back from progressing further, I just don't want to see him go like this. It would be truly tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Seems like there are far more arsenal fans wanting him gone now.

But the question is, IS it really him thats at fault or the board? or both?

Whos to say that another manager comes in and can only buy one world class player once ever 2/3 seasons and not able to spend more?

Or is wenger the manager that is really to blame for arsenal's downfall?

When will fans or you begin to start looking at the players himself?

Dont forget, wenger is not on the pitch playing, its the players.

Surely its maybe time players are accounted for, not just in arsenal but any club. Look at the attitude of chelsea's players this season yet its mourinho that gets the sack?

Mourinho is not on the pitch, same with wenger. so why cant players like hazard get the sack, salary deduction etc?

its shocking how players can just collect there 100k a week and **** about on the pitch while it is the manager that gets the boot.

Is it really wenger out or more Ramsey, walcott, mertesaka etc etc that need to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We should have won that today. Watford did well, defending in massive numbers and taking their chances when they were given them. But we had enough chances to win fairly comfortably.

However, several of our lads were just too sloppy. Chambers was bad, but Sanchez was dreadful.

Ultimately the defenders falling asleep/being utter pillocks is what costs us. Watford were never going to make a goal until we absolutely handed them the opener.

I'm furious with the players for this. Gabriel and Gibbs made all of the rest of the team's effort redundant by under 11 style defending.

As much as I agree Wenger is dragging us back from progressing further, I just don't want to see him go like this. It would be truly tragic.

What would you like for him? More time?
    Much of our poor situation is directly down to Wenger. Poor motivational skills, poor tactically, failing to buy quality in important areas and persevering with failed methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

What would you like for him? More time?
    Much of our poor situation is directly down to Wenger. Poor motivational skills, poor tactically, failing to buy quality in important areas and persevering with failed methods.

I just don't want to see him go like this. Getting rid of him at the end of the season, or him resigning, would probably be the best outcome, but it still doesn't ignore the fact that the face of Arsenal had to be forced out of a club deteriorating under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

More then anything it's just got really sad right now rather then depressing, I can't even get angry anymore at them. Fans infighting, owners not giving a damn as long as they pocket some money, Manager clearly past his prime, Players who look like they want out and Players who simply are not good enough to play for Arsenal. Worst of all seen the worst football I've ever seen Arsenal play, we aren't even entertaining when we even get beat. The lack of drive and heart is another massive disappointment for me.

We are going to get slaughtered in the Nou Camp come Wednesday and I don't fancy us at Everton, then we have West Ham away we won't be coming out of that with a win. We could see ourselves even struggling to keep top 4 even 5th. Times are going to get worse then better. This isn't something Wenger can go out and spend 200 million in the transfer market and it be fixed, his tactics are old hat and he can't get his team up for any game anymore. If we want to be a top side again Wenger must go sooner rather then later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not winning anything I think will see Wenger declare his decision to leave next summer, he'll want one more shot at it for his final year and then go. He'll hope the players buy in and deliver something special for his last year but ultimately it'll be the same again

Basil3 wrote: »
    No excuse. Once again, just stating facts.....

Ah come on now we are 8 points behind Leicester and possibly 11 (albeit with a game in hand) tomorrow night.

In fact it actually makes it worse that we have managed to beat them twice and yet find ourselves in this position.

Moral victories are no good anymore. The overall season objective was clear from last August and the manager and players have failed the club yet again.

Seems like there are far more arsenal fans wanting him gone now.

But the question is, IS it really him thats at fault or the board? or both?

Whos to say that another manager comes in and can only buy one world class player once ever 2/3 seasons and not able to spend more?

Or is wenger the manager that is really to blame for arsenal's downfall?

When will fans or you begin to start looking at the players himself?

Dont forget, wenger is not on the pitch playing, its the players.

Surely its maybe time players are accounted for, not just in arsenal but any club. Look at the attitude of chelsea's players this season yet its mourinho that gets the sack?

Mourinho is not on the pitch, same with wenger. so why cant players like hazard get the sack, salary deduction etc?

its shocking how players can just collect there 100k a week and **** about on the pitch while it is the manager that gets the boot.

Is it really wenger out or more Ramsey, walcott, mertesaka etc etc that need to go?

But........ Arsene brought in all these players? If they aren't good enough now and never were then who do you point the finger at? The player who simply is out of his depth or the person who pin pointed him and brought him in to the club?

And if the players are good enough but aren't putting in the performances time after time game after game then who do you blame? The players themselves or the person who sees the ****e and continually puts up with it and can't motivate them or give them a kick in the hole and make them do better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Soups123 wrote: »
    Not winning anything I think will see Wenger declare his decision to leave next summer, he'll want one more shot at it for his final year and then go. He'll hope the players buy in and deliver something special for his last year but ultimately it'll be the same again

If he announces his retirement then why would anyone sign when they don't know who they're signing for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Booked flights a while back for the last game of the season again Villa, stupidly thinking I might even get to see the premier league trophy being lifted. Looks like it might be Wenger's farewell now.

It'll be Villa's farewell too though. I have a couple of Villa supporting friends so will be good to tell them I saw that.

Soups123 wrote: »

Why should he not go this summer and for the sake of the club forfeit his final year? He is just holding the club back another year by staying. We will win nothing under him again.

He ain't going anywhere this summer lads. Better get used to that.

That's the killing thing.
    Just looking at Spurs on MOTD. Their energy, pace and effort leaves us in the shade entirely yet I think we have a better team than them. Something seriously wrong at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Come back santi:(

It all fell apart once you got injured.

• Advertisement

Really wish Stan would fcuk off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We have Mert and Gabriel in central defence, it's like the goon show they are so unorganised. Watford played well today and Gab was very lucky not to break a leg - much as it pains me, we started well and finished ok, but in the middle we were outplayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kroenke and Wenger out

&

Usmanov and Simeone in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

mansize wrote: »
    At least we have gunnarsauras...

Much more useful than Walcott, & at least entertains the kids whilst getting parents to spend more cash in the club shop :D

Should get a testimonial way before Theo! :pac:

Kroenke and Wenger out

&

Usmanov and Simeone in

F*ck. Usmanov.

• Advertisement

Why should he not go this summer and for the sake of the club forfeit his final year? He is just holding the club back another year by staying. We will win nothing under him again.

Whoah it's not what I want it's what will happen
    I would like to see him step down as soon as possible

1000% he is the biggest problem an owner here for the money not the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Özil puts up a Pray for Ankara image on his Facebook page, queue lots of nonsense about "pray for Arsenal "...

Context would be nice with some of these people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For me this is just really depressing.

Wenger sacrificed an awful lot to continue his project at Arsenal. This would have been the season where it all paid off. The league was open for him to crown his own way of doing things and prove that his approach to the game driven by his own personal values and ethos works. Personally I feel he deserves it.

But he can't manage it.

In the middle of it all he lost what made him great.

He wants to win but won't show the necessary ambition.

Pretty sure that between 99 and 02, we signed Henry, Wiltord, Jeffers,
    RVP, and already had Bergkamp at the club.

In the last few years we've had Chamakh replaced by Giroud with Sanogo as backup and Welbeck brought in only on deadline day when Giroud broke his leg.

I don't think there's a huge difference in relative spending.

He just had more ambition back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Arsenal should go all out for one of;

Simeone, Tuchel, or Pochetino.

Might be a little early to get Tuchel after just a season at Dortmund, but all three are potentially gettable I think with the right offer. Simeone has pretty much done what he can at Atleti, and the other two have already shown their ambition to move to a bigger project when the opportunity arrises.

I think the same for ManU incidentally.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Might be a little early to get Tuchel after just a season at Dortmund, but all three are potentially gettable I think with the right offer. Simeone has pretty much done what he can at Atleti, and the other two have already shown their ambition to move to a bigger project when the opportunity arrises.

Simeone won't leave A. Madrid, why should he. I don't think he's pretty much done everything he can, he has the CL, maybe go for a few more titles etc... Tuchel won't leave a top class side for a club on the downward spiral. You think Spuds would let Pochetino leave for us :pac: you be dreaming. He has a very good side there with a few more signings they could be a team that could overlap us, that's extremely hard thing to say.

Unless the whole Emirates stadium is shouting for him to go and you see more banners up wanting him gone, I can't see that happening cause he still has a good section of the fans on his side (they are living on his past glories). From his interviews, you can see a man under pressure and his excuses are a sign of a man who doesn't have a clue what to do.

As I said before he could go all out this summer and spend on top class talent, but his motivation skills are useless and his tactics have been shown up badly this season. They will never change and if he had Messi and Ronaldo in his team he would still blow it somehow. The sad truth is he's a man who thinks he can still win us titles but Footballing world has sadly passed him by and he no longer belongs but it hasn't hit him yet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looper007 wrote: »
    Simeone won't leave A. Madrid, why should he. I don't think he's pretty much done everything he can, he has the CL, maybe go for a few more titles etc... Tuchel won't leave a top class side for a club on the downward spiral. You think Spuds would let Pochetino leave for us :pac: you be dreaming. He has a very good side there with a few more signings they could be a team that could overlap us, that's extremely hard thing to say.

It all comes down to how much Arsenal are willing to commit towards getting the right candidate, and the playing staff. Arsenal will have access to funds far in excess of what Atleti or Dortmund have. Also, it's been a dark month or so, but as a club you're actually in pretty great shape for someone to come in. Some fantastic players there, and the weak spots are fairly glaring. Defense is always easier to sort out than attack too. Shore up, and strengthen the attacking depth and Arsenal have as good a shout at the league as anyone.

Pochettino would look the toughest to get alright, with Spurs simply refusing to deal, but you never know. The right deal presented to him might make him reconsider the contract offer Spurs are set to make shortly - for him it looks like a now or never thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

The team is hopeless, nobody seems to actually play anywhere near the level they're capable of. It saddens me.

Is it the board or the managers fault? or both?

This is why i feel the likes of sanchez and ozil dont deserve to play for a club like us with such lack of ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Daniel Levy would never let Pochetino leave Spurs for Arsenal, hell, I dont think he'd leave him go to another EPL side either being honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement