Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

A titanic battle for fourth where we scrape in on the last day. Whats not to like? :pac:

In that case I'd not give a toss if we finish outside the top 4 for once. So fcuking what if we lose out on a gazillion bucks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

omega man wrote: »
    In that case I'd not give a toss if we finish outside the top 4 for once. So fcuking what if we lose out on a gazillion bucks.....

It puts us in a lower position when looking for a new manager.

Quazzie wrote: »
    It puts us in a lower position when looking for a new manager.

I'd agree if there was even a remote chance of him going but alas.

In fairness pool got Klopp without CL football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The problems stem from Stan Kroenke - I don't think in any other job would you still be safe as houses after the ineptitude of the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Every day i come here I read that the league is now over for us. It's been over for weeks. Jesus stop torturing yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Lads will ye please stop willing us to finish outside the top 4. Whatever chance we'd have of attracting a top manager with a full squad and CL football I don't think we'd get somebody world class if we end up playing in the Europa League or worse. I'd also imagine some of our better players would look for a way out sharpish leaving a potential new manager short.

The only positive thing we have at the moment is the opportunity to play in the Champions League (even though we haven't got a hope in hell of winning it but that's another conversation).

sonic85 wrote: »
    Lads will ye please stop willing us to finish outside the top 4. Whatever chance we'd have of attracting a top manager with a full squad and CL football I don't think we'd get somebody world class if we end up playing in the Europa League or worse. I'd also imagine some of our better players would look for a way out sharpish leaving a potential new manager short.

The only positive thing we have at the moment is the opportunity to play in the Champions League (even though we haven't got a hope in hell of winning it but that's another conversation).

Liverpool attracted Klopp. Hell even Van Gaal had pedigree when United signed him.

Fourth would vindicate both the board and Wenger and would mean he would stay for another year of mediocrity.
    FWIW I think we'll finish top four (just about) but tbh its time to demand more at this stage. The fact we are in this time warp suggests that something finally has to give. Our last chance of silverware went yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Liverpool attracted Klopp. Hell even Van Gaal had pedigree when United signed him.

Fourth would vindicate both the board and Wenger and would mean he would stay for another year of mediocrity.
    FWIW I think we'll finish top four (just about) but tbh its time to demand more at this stage. The fact we are in this time warp suggests that something finally has to give. Our last chance of silverware went yesterday.

There are always exceptions but all the top jobs were taken as far as I recall and Liverpool was probably the highest profile job going at that time. Open to correction on that though. Plus theyve done quite well in European competition recently enough winning it and finishing runners up. So they have a decent track record. We qualify but that's it.

United are one of the biggest richest clubs in world football with a wealth of history in all competitons - any manager would be fairly mental to not take that job if he was asked even if they were out of the CL for a couple of seasons.

How would fourth vindicate the board and Wenger? Surely winning the league this year would vindicate them and their model of running things? Finishing 3rd or 4th in a year when every other top team has faltered is a disaster really - a fairly epic one.

I agree that it's about time the board and the manager were held responsible for their actions and for the fans to wake up and demand more. Fourth every year for the next decade isn't good enough.

I think 4 or 5 years ago was the time to make some noise and show some concern about where the club was heading but instead the dissenting voices were drowned out and any criticism of Arsene or the club was dismissed. Instead we were treated to groundhog day over and over and now we're in a position where wenger is so entrenched in the club it's going to be near impossible to get him out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Every day i come here I read that the league is now over for us. It's been over for weeks. Jesus stop torturing yourselves.

Don't worry we will all be back for more next season...torture that is, lol.

sonic85 wrote: »
    There are always exceptions but all the top jobs were taken as far as I recall and Liverpool was probably the highest profile job going at that time. Open to correction on that though. Plus theyve done quite well in European competition recently enough winning it and finishing runners up. So they have a decent track record. We qualify but that's it.

United are one of the biggest richest clubs in world football with a wealth of history in all competitons - any manager would be fairly mental to not take that job if he was asked even if they were out of the CL for a couple of seasons.

How would fourth vindicate the board and Wenger? Surely winning the league this year would vindicate them and their model of running things? Finishing 3rd or 4th in a year when every other top team has faltered is a disaster really - a fairly epic one.

I agree that it's about time the board and the manager were held responsible for their actions and for the fans to wake up and demand more. Fourth every year for the next decade isn't good enough.

I think 4 or 5 years ago was the time to make some noise and show some concern about where the club was heading but instead the dissenting voices were drowned out and any criticism of Arsene or the club was dismissed. Instead we were treated to groundhog day over and over and now we're in a position where wenger is so entrenched in the club it's going to be near impossible to get him out

From Wenger and the boards point of view they'll be happy with 4th. That's their annual objective. Fück the fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Definitely don't want the club to finish outside the top 4 but I genuinely don't think it would affect the clubs chances of attracting a top manager. Wenger is one of the highest paid managers around. Money talks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It’s going to be an ugly summer. It wasn’t nice last year, and that was with a rich rival winning the league and a 2nd FA cup in the bag. Finishing empty handed while a team with a fraction of our resources wins the league? Good luck to Gazidis and the gang if it is Spurs…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Not that I think you's will finish outside top 4 but if it happened it will make little or no difference to attracting a new manager its different to atracting the very best players. Being out of cl is a far bigger issue for a player rather than a manager due to the shortage of a players career. Managers will also have a different way of thinking compared to players about the status of a club. If you take klopp going to Liverpool he is of the age that he would remember when Liverpool used to win things and can think about potential. A player in his 20s early 30s isn't going to be impressed by the fact that Liverpool won loads of things in the 70s and 80s. Players also have much more choice when it comes to picking an elite club than a manager. Due to the fact that there is only one manager at all the elite clubs whereas a player is just one of a 20 man squad. Again if you think of klopp people will say he went to Liverpool because it was the best job avaliable a player doesn't face these problems as he can fit into a 20 man squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Reports today that Wenger has full backing from the board but may leave at the end of the year. It says that the 'discontent' among fans is affecting the players

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I don't think lecister will win the league, they have a tough run in and I can see the pressure getting to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hull, Barcelona, Manchester United, Swansea, Spurs, Hull, Watford.

Don't tell me that the team isn't capable of more than 1 win out of that line up. We should be beating every team there, bar Barcelona, with the players at our disposal and we should even be capable of getting a result at home to Barcelona. With the right guidance this team should be 2 points behind Leicester with a game in hand, into the Semi Finals of the FA Cup & still alive in the Champions League against Barcelona.

Sad to say but there's one person that this comes down to & no matter how much he points to the past in terms of FA Cup winning streaks and getting 4th with no budget (even then I think we still had ~4th most resources in the league so not a phenomenal achievement) - what matters now is the present and future. And it looks bleak in the current hands unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

cson wrote: »
    Hull, Barcelona, Manchester United, Swansea, Spurs, Hull, Watford.

Don't tell me that the team isn't capable of more than 1 win out of that line up. We should be beating every team there, bar Barcelona, with the players at our disposal and we should even be capable of getting a result at home to Barcelona. With the right guidance this team should be 2 points behind Leicester with a game in hand, into the Semi Finals of the FA Cup & still alive in the Champions League against Barcelona.

Sad to say but there's one person that this comes down to & no matter how much he points to the past in terms of FA Cup winning streaks and getting 4th with no budget (even then I think we still had ~4th most resources in the league so not a phenomenal achievement) - what matters now is the present and future. And it looks bleak in the current hands unfortunately.

I just want to let go of this season and start fresh next year but I'm still going to watch every game and I'm still going to be pissed when we lose 3-4 of those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I just want to let go of this season and start fresh next year but I'm still going to watch every game and I'm still going to be pissed when we lose 3-4 of those games.

This. Preferably start fresh with a new manager and 3 or 4 new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The club needs a massive wake up call. Finishing outside the top 4 is a reality now. Madness to think thats possible with the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd having disastrous campaigns.

Our next four fixtures - Away to Barcelona (hope it's not a drubbing), Everton and West Ham.
    Home to Watford.

Apart from the home game which we should win I can't see us getting much away. We are so brittle and our mindset is not good.

We are in a battle for fourth place now for sure. League has been well and truly gone for some time.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This. Preferably start fresh with a new manager and 3 or 4 new players.

Yup, what do you think we need? I'd go with a proven goalscoring striker, a proven reliable winger, a solid CDM and 1 or 2 very good CB's. Spend between 120,000-200,000 Mill If we have to.

Has it not been the same for many years now?
    What has been demanded or delivered before?

Nothing will give.
    Wenger's comments about the fans expectations of success being " a farce" tells me he has no intentions of stepping down and will brazen it out not just for another year but beyond that.
    Watch this space. Wenger is going nowhere. He's a company man and companies are more interested in making money than winning trophies.

My son was at the game on Sunday and was talking to a lot of disgruntled fans. They have stopped buying merchandise and stopped wearing the club jersey at games but that's not enough. I expect the protests to get louder as the season ends in a big blank. Will it change things? Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yup, what do you think we need? I'd go with a proven goalscoring striker, a proven reliable winger, a solid CDM and 1 or 2 very good CB's. Spend between 120,000-200,000 Mill If we have to.

A striker for sure, somebody like higuain or aubamayang. It'll be hard to tempt them over if we don't get top 4 though.

A quality centre back in the mould of Godin or Hummels

A proper centre mid that isn't made of glass like the rest of ours

Another winger that'll chip in with 10-12 goals a season

All of that and we have a world class squad. Can see maybe one of those signings being made under Wenger at best.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    A striker for sure, somebody like higuain or aubamayang. It'll be hard to tempt them over if we don't get top 4 though.

A quality centre back in the mould of Godin or Hummels

A proper centre mid that isn't made of glass like the rest of ours

Another winger that'll chip in with 10-12 goals a season

All of that and we have a world class squad. Can see maybe one of those signings being made under Wenger at best.

We'd still find a way to bottle it. We have become fragile both physically and mentally under this inept manager. Nothing will change until he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Our next four fixtures - Away to Barcelona (hope it's not a drubbing), Everton and West Ham.
    Home to Watford.

Apart from the home game which we should win I can't see us getting much away. We are so brittle and our mindset is not good.

We are in a battle for fourth place now for sure. League has been well and truly gone for some time.

You mean the home game which is a carbon copy of the fixture we've just lost.

Drexel wrote: »
    Reports today that Wenger has full backing from the board but may leave at the end of the year. It says that the 'discontent' among fans is affecting the players

Ah I see so it's going to be the supporters fault.

If I hear Wenger attributing any blame to fans for his or his players failings I will explode with rage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I just want to get to the Euros where I can enjoy watching games of football again.

I f***in hate this season. (Apart from Leicester).

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I just want to get to the Euros where I can enjoy watching games of football again.

I f***in hate this season. (Apart from Leicester).

Rinse and repeat next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

#|Team|H/A|Pos
    1|Barcelona|A|1
    2|Everton|A|12
    3|Watford|H|14
    4|West Ham United|A|5
    5|Crystal Palace|H|15
    6|Sunderland|A|17
    7|Norwich City|H|18
    8|Manchester City|A|4
    9|Aston Villa|H|20
    10|West Bromwich Albion|H|11

So 10 games left. Based on their results in all competitions this season the best we can hope for is 5 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses. 69 points in the league. Leicester are only 2 wins off that with 8 games left. Spurs need 4 wins from their remaining 8. I don't think they'll even catch Spurs to be honest. City are almost as bad as Arsenal right now, so i expect them both to fight tooth and nail for the honour of not to finishing 3rd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

omega man wrote: »
    Ah I see so it's going to be the supporters fault.

If I hear Wenger attributing any blame to fans for his or his players failings I will explode with rage!

I really think it contributed to the defeat at home against Swansea. You can argue that the players should be above it all, but the players were nervous and inhibited. I didn't get that impression in the Watford game but it might have been a factor too.

greendom wrote: »
    I really think it contributed to the defeat at home against Swansea. You can argue that the players should be above it all, but the players were nervous and inhibited. I didn't get that impression in the Watford game but it might have been a factor too.

Yeah i thought the same about our opening game of the season against West Ham at home :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ridiculous stuff

Yeah i thought the same about our opening game of the season against West Ham at home :rolleyes:

No don't think so. I put that one down to complacency

No don't think so. I put that one down to complacency

Ok Arsene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ok Arsene.

Stupid post

Debate the point

Or don't bother posting

Ridiculous stuff

in what way ?

It's an established fact that a supportive crowed can boost performance, I've no doubt that the opposite is also true.

in what way ?

It's an established fact that a supportive crowed can boost performance, I've no doubt that the opposite is also true.

Our fans have absolutely nothing to do with the ineptitude of our manager and players. Tactics are almost none existent and the performances of individuals and the team as a whole have been abysmal. How many damn times has been this been the case even when the fans are completely behind the team which they mostly always are?

To say that we lost a game because our fans weren't supportive enough Is ridiculous, no two ways about It.

Our fans have absolutely nothing to do with the ineptitude of our manager and players. Tactics are almost none existent and the performances of individuals and the team as a whole have been abysmal. How many damn times has been this been the case even when the fans are completely behind the team which they mostly always are?

To say that we lost a game because our fans weren't supportive enough Is ridiculous, no two ways about It.

I observed nervousness and inhibition from the players. No doubt the players are playing poorly at the moment regardless of the crowd. But its a such times that the supporters should really get behind the players rather than encourage even more poor play.

Obviously there are hundreds of factors that contribute to how a team plays but in a game of such incredibly tight margins it's a shame that the one area that a crowd can influence and make a difference, they are choosing to do so negatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

So the fans being the "twelfth man" is a myth then???

Arsenal's support has been library like at times! But no! We can't blame the fans! Only Mr Wenger or the team! Sanchez has been sub par this season and for some reason he escapes the criticism other players get!

I'd say Ramsey has done more for the team than Sanchez but Sanchez rarely gets criticised as he's a "fans favourite"

Ozil and Cech aside, I think the whole team has been sub par

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

arsenal might as well not bother tomorrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5FgZBNFV0

arsenal might as well not bother tomorrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5FgZBNFV0

Tomorrow is a write off

• Advertisement

I observed nervousness and inhibition from the players. No doubt the players are playing poorly at the moment regardless of the crowd. But its a such times that the supporters should really get behind the players rather than encourage even more poor play.

Obviously there are hundreds of factors that contribute to how a team plays but in a game of such incredibly tight margins it's a shame that the one area that a crowd can influence and make a difference, they are choosing to do so negatively.
    mansize wrote: »
    So the fans being the "twelfth man" is a myth then???

Arsenal's support has been library like at times! But no! We can't blame the fans! Only Mr Wenger or the team!

Hilarious stuff, I'll just stop there before I upset anyone else :pac: I suppose we should all hang our heads In shame as It Is because of us the fans, that Arsenal are so poor nothing to do with the manager or players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Should we hug them and tell them everything is alright, they get paid thousands a week to go out and play for Arsenal. We cheer them on and everyone in that ground does every week and they constantly let us down with heartless performances. This isn't a crowd thing so don't throw that excuse out, it's time for this lot of overpaid bottlers and wimps to stand up and show some bloody desire for once.

Hilarious stuff, I'll just stop there before I upset anyone else :pac: I suppose we should all hang our heads In shame as It Is because of us the fans, that Arsenal are so poor nothing to do with the manager or players.

I think we inferred it's a collective responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Tomorrow is a write off

We can always hope for a freak result. 3-3, lol.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Should we hug them and tell them everything is alright, they get paid thousands a week to go out and play for Arsenal. We cheer them on and everyone in that ground does every week and they constantly let us down with heartless performances. This isn't a crowd thing so don't throw that excuse out, it's time for this lot of overpaid bottlers and wimps to stand up and show some bloody desire for once.

Is the money the earn an issue? You mentioned it twice in your post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ah Christ that game really was a foreshadowing of the season to come.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    We can always hope for a freak result. 3-3, lol.

Barça won't lose at Camp Nou. Regardless of whether we could beat them or not. UEFA have their favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Is the money the earn an issue? You mentioned it twice in your post...

Far too many given big contracts before they did a thing at Arsenal, I have a massive problem with it.

yes that's exactly what I said :rolleyes: no chance of a nuanced discussion with you I take it!

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    Far too many given big contracts before they did a thing at Arsenal, I have a massive problem with it.

Who are they and what should they be on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement