Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Giroud App 10 Goals 0
    Sanchez App 7 Goals 0

Last 10 and 7 games respectively for these guys, really Is baffling.

Basil3 wrote: »
    all that matters is where we place over 38.

Top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Giroud App 10 Goals 0
    Sanchez App 7 Goals 0

I read that it was 1 goal in 29 games between those two and Walcott.

Sanchez at least seems to really try but for some reason its not working out for him at the moment.
    If that one that hit the inside of the post in first half goes in then who knows what would have happened.

The other two are equally baffling. Neither work class I accept but absolutely everything was bouncing off Giroud and Walcott has been totally anonymous for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Giroud App 10 Goals 0
    Sanchez App 7 Goals 0

It's as simple as this really. If these two were firing, we'd be top.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Lets say this dire form continues and we drop out of 4th place.

I really wouldn’t care if we didn’t make CL. The CL has become another source of jibes for us, what is the point of Arsenal in the Champions League?
    To grant a soft draw to Barca or Bayern in the first round of the last 16. Add Monaco to that list too.
    To fill the coffers for Kronke to be able to point at the cash reserves and bump the balance sheet of KSE.

The problems at the club are far greater than the manager being too soft. The owner is a huge issue. But speaking of the manager, I love Wenger, he’s been a great manager for arsenal. He deserves to be lauded in the annals of Arsenal FC’s history. When my kids are older I’ll tell them about how great he was. But I can’t see how this ends well for him. I’ve no belief that we’ll beat spurs at the weekend. I’ve no belief that we’ll turn the **** form of 2016 around and travel to Everton (after barca), West Ham, and City and get results.
    I’m truly depressed at how this season has developed.

bad2dabone wrote: »

Don't worry, mate. It'll be OK :D

Some people view football as a sport of pride, passion, courage and desire. I don't really view it as any of these things, because I love other sports where the players show a million times more of these things than any footballer ever will.

That said, I view football as a sport of confidence and momentum with a pinch of luck. I've been waiting for a good while for this team to click. I truly believe they just need a couple of things to go their way, and they can get some momentum going. I thought the Leicester match was going to be the catalyst, but I guess not.

Big problem is they are starting to run out of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

It's only 3 defeats in a row while we're all dancing over 3 wins in a row! It's not over yet, probably the worst league in epl history this year and realistically, a decent run from anyone in the top for sees them win

Imagine if we won it. Talk about papering over more cracks. Bottom line is we dont deserve to win it. Cant recall a top side showing so little ambition to strenghten there squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Lets say this dire form continues and we drop out of 4th place.

I really wouldn’t care if we didn’t make CL. The CL has become another source of jibes for us, what is the point of Arsenal in the Champions League?
    To grant a soft draw to Barca or Bayern in the first round of the last 16. Add Monaco to that list too.
    To fill the coffers for Kronke to be able to point at the cash reserves and bump the balance sheet of KSE.

The problems at the club are far greater than the manager being too soft. The owner is a huge issue. But speaking of the manager, I love Wenger, he’s been a great manager for arsenal. He deserves to be lauded in the annals of Arsenal FC’s history. When my kids are older I’ll tell them about how great he was. But I can’t see how this ends well for him. I’ve no belief that we’ll beat spurs at the weekend. I’ve no belief that we’ll turn the **** form of 2016 around and travel to Everton (after barca), West Ham, and City and get results.

Dropping out of the top 3 let alone 4 would be an absolute nightmare if Wenger remains on.

Outside top 4 he will say we can't sign players wanting cl.
    Outside top 3 he will claim he has to wait to sign players until we have qualified for the Cl.

The season ticket will become much more expensive without the 7 free cup games.

He has thrown away 2 opportunities to win leagues in 3 years. Utterly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Imagine if we won it. Talk about papering over more cracks. Bottom line is we dont deserve to win it. Cant recall a top side showing so little ambition to strenghten there squad.

Winning the league? I think I could live with papered over cracks like that!

Not going to happen though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For the people wanting us to finish outside the top 4. Have ye considered what difference it would have on any potential new manager we might get. Will Simeone come without CL? I really doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Quazzie wrote: »
    For the people wanting us to finish outside the top 4. Have ye considered what difference it would have on any potential new manager we might get. Will Simeone come without CL? I really doubt it.

I think arsenal are a big enough draw even without cl football for any manager. I don't see it as an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think arsenal are a big enough draw even without cl football for any manager. I don't see it as an issue.

There aren't many managers that would take the decision that Klopp did.

Next year you have a rejuvenated Chelsea, Guardolia at City, Utd, Klopp at Pool and surely another year of progression at Spurs.

That's a tough group to crack from the outside.

niallo27 wrote: »

Depends on what funds are made available to rejuvenate the squad. Whether we are just a cash reserve for Kroenke or a big club with big ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didn't Klopp go to Liverpool.

greendom wrote: »
    Winning the league? I think I could live with papered over cracks like that!

Not going to happen though

Wont happen until things change at the club. Drastically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

lots of people wanting simeone but are repelled by mentions of mourinho, might be in for a surprise. will never happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

batistuta9 wrote: »
    lots of people wanting simeone but are repelled by mentions of mourinho, might be in for a surprise. will never happen though.

Well to be fair Mourinho and Simeone aren't much alike. Yes, both have a very strong defensive style but Simeone's team do play really nice football when attacking.

Simeone also woudn't lose the dressing room after one season. The thought of having Simeone excites me while the thought of Mourinho makes me vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Well to be fair Mourinho and Simeone aren't much alike. Yes, both have a very strong defensive style but Simeone's team do play really nice football when attacking.

Simeone also woudn't lose the dressing room after one season. The thought of having Simeone excites me while the thought of Mourinho makes me vomit.

so did some of mourinhos teams - when he let them. Not that i want him.
    the behavioural side though, simeone was running on to the pitch in a CL final to deck varane :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Piers Morgan tweeting he has it on good authority pep wanted to come to arsenal with Henry as his number 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Piers Morgan tweeting he has it on good authority pep wanted to come to arsenal with Henry as his number 2.

Lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Did he hack his phone?

Things are bad enough without bringing that idiot into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Piers Morgan is an embarrassment.

Right up until Sheik Masour offered him all the money in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What's up with Walcott? Always thought he was a very good player but when I've seen him recently he looks slow and bereft of confidence. Do you reckon he may have been slowed down from the latest injury or just unfit? He's had a while to recover now which would make me think it's the former...

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    What's up with Walcott? Always thought he was a very good player but when I've seen him recently he looks slow and bereft of confidence. Do you reckon he may have been slowed down from the latest injury or just unfit? He's had a while to recover now which would make me think it's the former...
    I dunno. He bulked up a bit while injured a few years ago but it didn't seem to slow him down or anything. Hard to know what it is, he looks clueless and directionless lately after being decent for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

So its fighters(spuds) vs bottlers(arsenal)
    According to the papers!!
    **** me i really hope we turn these cnuts over on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Liam O wrote: »

Walcott was never a very good player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

FixitFelix wrote: »

Might be the exact sort of press we need.

Cant argue with that. We are bottlers no 2 ways about it. Spurs only 1 defeat in 8 league games. We have only won 2 of our last 9. As much as I hate the rags there spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

There are a couple of players like that at Arsenal. Big potential and talent, but something's not quite right. We've all seen them doing fantastic stuff on occasion, but they never make that final push to be somewhat consistently class and the jury is out whether they will ever be. Wilshere springs to mind. In 5 years time he'll be classed as another Walcott.

Boskowski wrote: »
    There are a couple of players like that at Arsenal. Big potential and talent, but something's not quite right. We've all seen them doing fantastic stuff on occasion, but they never make that final push to be somewhat consistently class and the jury is out whether they will ever be. Wilshere springs to mind. In 5 years time he'll be classed as another Walcott.

Wilshere seems to play really well for England. Will wait and see what he's like when he gets back. Definitely looking forward to having his attitude/energy, at the very least.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Cant argue with that. We are bottlers no 2 ways about it. Spurs only 1 defeat in 8 league games. We have only won 2 of our last 9. As much as I hate the rags there spot on.

Spurs coming off one of their worst league performances of the season, according to those who follow them. Is it a blip, or the start of their downturn in form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Spurs coming off one of their worst league performances of the season, according to those who follow them. Is it a blip, or the start of their downturn in form?

I'd be hoping it's the latter. The only really bad run they've had all season is the 1st 4 games. If they don't have another one it will be some season for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm dreading it to be honest. Its times like this I wish we had Wilshere available. He at least knows what this game means to the fans. Theo sometimes ups his game in these fixtures, but I cant see that happening. A point would be a good result but if Leicester win it would be very hard to see them being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ya man at Dortmund would be a good choice too I think

What's very clear is we need to go in another direction regardless of how season finishes

Cech out for a month. Season feels like it's unravelling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

West Ham as usual against us played out of their skin and were brilliant. Nulified Spurs very well however Spurs did also not perform well in any sense. Same against Newcastle if I recall correctly.

If it was the same starting 11 against Arsenal I wouldn't be so confident but with Dembele, Rose, Walker and Alli expected to come back in the starting line up I'm feeling more confident. Adding the loss of Koscielny and Cech I'd have to back a Spurs win.

However whenever I start to feel confident about Spurs they end up letting me down at the defining moment.

Tomorrow is the defining moment for both Spurs' and Arsenals season. You guys are right back in it with a win and IMO will fall too far behind with a defeat giving Spurs a serious chance at challenging Leicester for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    Cech out for a month. Season feels like it's unravelling

Thats best case scenario. It will be more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I've followed this thread in recent weeks and I just can't get over the negativity. Fair enough the results haven't been great but from what I've seen they aren't actually playing that badly. Just they can't seem to score. They are creating the chances which is vital, just they're not going in through a combination of strikers being low on confidence and sheer bad luck. But against Barcelona despite being dominated they still created about 4 glorious chances with about 35% possession. Likewise the other night against Swansea the game was lost because they missed loads of chances and the usually excellent Cech made a poor mistake.

Yet Wenger is blamed for everything. How is it his fault strikers are missing great chances? Or his goalkeeper flaps at a cross?

And as bad and all as the results have been, if they beat Spurs on Saturday they are probably favourites to win the league again because the bookies still have their doubts on Leicester.

The hyperbole and negativity in here is almost beyond belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well in 2012-13 he got 14 goals and 10 assists in the league in 32 games. I guess having a direct involvement in 24 goals from a wide position in the 4th best team in the league was lucky or something though. The following season 5 goals and 4 assists in 13 games in the league, many of them short appearances. 5 goals last season in the equivalent of just over 5 full games in the league.

This is adding to his very good general play and him looking dangerous whenever he got the ball. Great finishing ability for a winger and his pace some of the most devastating I've seen in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Some people are being realistic galwaylad.

We do miss a lot of chances and as a fan I still don't see us being on top at the end of the season.

We have to rely on other clubs to fail at this moment.

If you asked me for an honest opinion I would give the title to Leicester - they seem to care. No matter how crazy it sounds this is the only club that deserves it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Just back from the match, and have to say it was a massively disappointing experience to watch that. No fight or heart for the battle, far too many overrated and shabby talent in that squad. For me I'd sell off Ramsey, Ox, Walcott, Gibbs, Per, Flamini and Arteta come the summer. Welbeck, Giroud, Gabriel, Campbell, Wilshire, Elneny, Chambers are good squad players. Ozil, Monreal, Carzola, Alexis, Kos, Cech, Bellerin and Coq are the only guys I see fit for our first team. We seriously need some leaders, some big strong battlers, a world class striker and a Right winger who can attack and run past people.

I think it's time for Wenger to go, his arrogance and his utter disrespect to the fans is at a all time low. Even if he wins the league he still needs to go. His tactic's are out of date and for me it looks like he lost the players too. Sad really it's got to this, he has no excuses now he has no City and Chelsea big money to fall back for bottling the league. We need a new vision and ideas for the future.

I really hope we beat that lot on Saturday cause I hate losing to them more then anything. But I haven't got much faith, we could seriously end up finishing outside the top 4. It's getting that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I've followed this thread in recent weeks and I just can't get over the negativity. Fair enough the results haven't been great but from what I've seen they aren't actually playing that badly. Just they can't seem to score. They are creating the chances which is vital, just they're not going in through a combination of strikers being low on confidence and sheer bad luck. But against Barcelona despite being dominated they still created about 4 glorious chances with about 35% possession. Likewise the other night against Swansea the game was lost because they missed loads of chances and the usually excellent Cech made a poor mistake.

Yet Wenger is blamed for everything. How is it his fault strikers are missing great chances? Or his goalkeeper flaps at a cross?

And as bad and all as the results have been, if they beat Spurs on Saturday they are probably favourites to win the league again because the bookies still have their doubts on Leicester.

We've made no progress in 10 years...how are we supposed to be positive about that? As for Wenger being blamed for everything, they are his players. The strikers he bought aren't good enough so yes, it is his fault. You say we haven't been playing badly when the opposite is true. Our performances have been weak and bordering on pathetic at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Cause they are his signings, Giroud isn't a top striker. He's a solid 15 a season guy but he's not a world class talent and Wenger has chosen to ignore this for years.

We shouldn't be losing to a third string UTD team or to Swansea at home, if we want to be champions. We have been awful this season, its just thanks to how this season is such a topsy turvy one that we're still in with a chance rather then our performances. We drew twice agaisn't a average Liverpool side, lost twice to a below par Chelsea side, Lost to West Brom when they had two shots at goal, got a hammering at Southampton. We don't deserve to win the league, and even if we win it we will go down as one of the worse teams to win it.

Fans like you who are happy to accept these tepid performance and our managers B.S is why are club is been made look a laughing stock. For you to write that we should shut up and be happy with what we're seen is very worrying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wonga77 wrote: »
    Did he hack his phone?

Ah Wonga, you've made my day. I've been slightly wary coming into the Arsenal thread the last couple of weeks, at times it can be a real depression-fest, but your post has put a smile on my face that'll probably last all day.

Thanks!

Looper007 wrote: »
    Cause they are his signings, Giroud isn't a top striker. He's a solid 15 a season guy but he's not a world class talent and Wenger has chosen to ignore this for years.

We shouldn't be losing to a third string UTD team or to Swansea at home, if we want to be champions. We have been awful this season, its just thanks to how this season is such a topsy turvy one that we're still in with a chance rather then our performances. We drew twice agaisn't a average Liverpool side, lost twice to a below par Chelsea side, Lost to West Brom when they had two shots at goal, got a hammering at Southampton. We don't deserve to win the league, and even if we win it we will go down as one of the worse teams to win it.

Fans like you who are happy to accept these tepid performance and our managers B.S is why are club is been made look a laughing stock. For you to write that we should shut up and be happy with what we're seen is very worrying.

Well I'm not an Arsenal fan first of all.

You complain about Giroud not being good enough. Who should he have bought so? What striker in he last year or two should he have went out and bought?

Someone like Benteke perhaps? He was banging them in for Villa last year sure

Looper007 wrote: »
    Just back from the match, and have to say it was a massively disappointing experience to watch that. No fight or heart for the battle, far too many overrated and shabby talent in that squad. For me I'd sell off Ramsey, Ox, Walcott, Gibbs, Per, Flamini and Arteta come the summer. Welbeck, Giroud, Gabriel, Campbell, Wilshire, Elneny, Chambers are good squad players. Ozil, Monreal, Carzola, Alexis, Kos, Cech, Bellerin and Coq are the only guys I see fit for our first team. We seriously need some leaders, some big strong battlers, a world class striker and a Right winger who can attack and run past people.

I think it's time for Wenger to go, his arrogance and his utter disrespect to the fans is at a all time low. Even if he wins the league he still needs to go. His tactic's are out of date and for me it looks like he lost the players too. Sad really it's got to this, he has no excuses now he has no City and Chelsea big money to fall back for bottling the league. We need a new vision and ideas for the future.

I really hope we beat that lot on Saturday cause I hate losing to them more then anything. But I haven't got much faith, we could seriously end up finishing outside the top 4. It's getting that bad.

God almighty there'll be trouble fielding a team if you have your way. But ya sell everyone, clear the whole place. Not one suggestion on who could be brought in to replace these guys of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Anyone know how long Kos is out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Well I'm not an Arsenal fan first of all.

You complain about Giroud not being good enough. Who should he have bought so? What striker in he last year or two should he have went out and bought?

Someone like Benteke perhaps? He was banging them in for Villa last year sure

That was fairly obvious from your first post. Anyone who has scored more than 0 goals In their last 10 games. Benteke would have been a great buy, you can't predict how players will perform at other clubs and at the time Liverpool bought Benteke he was an excellent target man...

Are you here to rile up the Arsenal fans or are you actually here to say we're doing great and there's no one out there better than Giroud?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement