Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Basil3 wrote: »

I'm looking forward to this summer transfer window. If Wenger stays, and doesn't spend large, he will be up against it before next season begins.

How is this different to every other window though? The backlash is never as big as everyone says it will be and he withstands what little there is every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He won't be sacked as the owner is happy as long as there is cash coming in. Kronke is as big an issue in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think everyone wants too move on,
    Even if we pulled back a miracle in the league is still hop for him to leave

But I think it's unfair he gets all the bile, I'd love to see a few banners directed towards Stan and a few chants aimed at the directors box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

As the seasons go by I feel my hate towards the likes of Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy and even Van Persie lessening obviously when it came to new contract talks etc , They were told something that didn't sit right with them and they ****ed off

I can only wonder what Sanchez, Ozil and Cech are thinking especially the 1st two all 3 came from clubs where they regulary won trophies and we've what 2 FA Cups in 12 years now and consistent eliminations in the CL in the last 16 and no real Title winning chance and if we get a snif of it we always crap the pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭G1032

As the seasons go by I feel my hate towards the likes of Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy and even Van Persie lessening obviously when it came to new contract talks etc , They were told something that didn't sit right with them and they ****ed off

Ya. They were told they weren't getting £150,000 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He won't be sacked as the owner is happy as long as there is cash coming in. Kronke is as big an issue in my opinion

He's THE issue imo.

I also think that Arsene is a dinosaur. Too old for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah, that's exactly my point.

The best way for him to keep everyone happy would be to win everything.

The biggest problem is the Moneyball approach the club has. They want to identify targets that offer value on the market, instead of paying over the odds for proven talent.

I'm looking forward to this summer transfer window. If Wenger stays, and doesn't spend large, he will be up against it before next season begins.

You a big fan of deja vu? We've already had the "war chest" bullplop come out of the club. Expect the usual run until the end of the season and a few LANS to return. In the summer we'll be told the squad is strong. We've signed 3 players in 3 transfer windows. The only transfer any of us should want to see this summer is a change in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

keano_afc wrote: »
    You a big fan of deja vu? We've already had the "war chest" bullplop come out of the club. Expect the usual run until the end of the season and a few LANS to return. In the summer we'll be told the squad is strong. We've signed 3 players in 3 transfer windows. The only transfer any of us should want to see this summer is a change in management.

You think things will change while Kroenke is still around? I'm not convinced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

In a while wilshere and cazorla will be back so well be fully stocked. Unless wenger sees sense and sells 3 or 4 players I can't see any new arrivals in the summer. Flamini might go but that'll be it. Fairly depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I dont see any potential in Iwobi.. he was slow to react and wasnt offering much. Another one trick pony that Arsene Wenger likes, fast player who stands out in reserves matches but has limited ability when it comes to a top flight match.
    Some people might be happy a player who hasnt started a PL match starts a CL match and doesnt fk up.
    Personally Id prefer that we played someone who actually could have contributed to us winning th egame.

Coq and Flamin in the same team trying to win a match with Barca over confident.... was never going to work. Neither of them are reliant on getting you a goal . Coqs kick the ball into touch in the 2nd half sums him up, pretty clueless in a top match, just about adequate at being a defnesive mid, if all you want is a osmeone who just does that and nothing else.
    Personally the modern game requires every player is either so good at one facet he is undroppable, or else the player has brings 2 dimensions to his game. Coq brings 1 and thats not enough.
    Campbell should have started.
    Wenger is French , he never forgets or forgives or changes his way.
    As I said before Campbell will never be forgiven for proving Wenger wrong. Campbell will never be forgiven for proving he was a better player than Wenger gave him credit for or oppurtunity to play.
    Campbell will never be forgiven for Wenger being humiliated by the crowds reaction when he took him off after he scored and was arguable our best player , we were 1-1 and ended up losing that 2-1 to Swansea. Wenger wont forgive Campbell for that.

Wenger has had enough chances , his time is up. Au REvoir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I dont see any potential in Iwobi.. he was slow to react and wasnt offering much. Another one trick pony that Arsene Wenger likes, fast player who stands out in reserves matches but has limited ability when it comes to a top flight match.
    Some people might be happy a player who hasnt started a PL match starts a CL match and doesnt fk up.
    Personally Id prefer that we played someone who actually could have contributed to us winning th egame.

Iwobi is not known for pace :P
    He is quite the prospect IMO and can't be singled out because of Arsene's mistakes.

I'm with the Arsene Wenger out camp about 4 years now btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

He's THE issue imo.

I also think that Arsene is a dinosaur. Too old for change.

No Gunnarsauras is a dinosaur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's gone pear shaped since we lost Santi to injury, we miss the balance and game control he brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

It's gone pear shaped since we lost Santi to injury, we miss the balance and game control he brings.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Coq and Flamin in the same team trying to win a match with Barca over confident.... was never going to work. Neither of them are reliant on getting you a goal . Coqs kick the ball into touch in the 2nd half sums him up, pretty clueless in a top match, just about adequate at being a defnesive mid, if all you want is a osmeone who just does that and nothing else.
    Personally the modern game requires every player is either so good at one facet he is undroppable, or else the player has brings 2 dimensions to his game. Coq brings 1 and thats not enough.
    As I said before Campbell will never be forgiven for proving Wenger wrong. Campbell will never be forgiven for proving he was a better player than Wenger gave him credit for or oppurtunity to play.
    Campbell will never be forgiven for Wenger being humiliated by the crowds reaction when he took him off after he scored and was arguable our best player , we were 1-1 and ended up losing that 2-1 to Swansea. Wenger wont forgive Campbell for that.

What a pathetic conspiracy ridden quote. Take it easy I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

There is definately a strange attitude towards Campbell from Wenger, a player who was loaned out and did fairly well at different clubs,(had an excellent world cup too) he's only got his chance now at Arsenal by default really owing to others injured. He's played well and been taken off and/or dropped for no reason, all the while Wengers being giving as many chances as possible to Walcott who has been so bad its embarrassing.
    The night against Swansea took the biscuit and the crowds reaction said enough that night about what they thought of Campbells withdrawal.
    Whether he is good enough in the long term is not the point here, currently he's certainly a better option than Walcott or Ox(before he was injured)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Silly post.

1: Coq and Flamini weren't in the same team.

2: You're being racist

3: That wasn't our strongest team. Quite clear there was some rotation going on with an eye on Saturday. Campbell will start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

You ok hun??

Probably the most ridiculous post on this thread so far

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hm.

Wenger is deliberately damaging his own team because Campbell, a player he signed, is playing too well.

That is a thinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

And the most quoted post of the season goes to........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's a bit of a mess at the moment, but i can't possibly accept that Arsene Wenger doesn't want to win the league.

It literally makes no sense. Not from him, from the people who keep pushing this nonsense.

If they don't have the players, fine, fair criticism. If they don't show balls when it matters, fine, fair criticism.

But the idea that he deliberately says "woah, lads, relax, 4th is in the bag" is fantasy.

Even if you believe he's ideal for the board, getting CL and raking in the cash, the idea that Arsene f*ckin Wenger doesn't at least WANT to win is utter nonsense.

I can't recall anyone ever saying that.
    All seem to believe that Wenger wants to win things but most see that he no longer has the ability to win things. He can't seem to motivate the team, fails to fill gaps and lacks the tactical know-how to win things.

I don't know any manager, anywhere, who would settle for fourth. I can see how fourth would keep the boardroom happy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

so how do people see things playing out? will we finish 4th and carry on as normal? fall out of the top 4? dare I say it, somehow even win it? of course we wont win it but im curious to know how people think the rest of the season and indeed next season will go. I think AW will announce next season is his last but I don't think he'll go on a big spree. one more season of mediocrity before AW hand picks a successor none of us would have predicted at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think right now he wants to win more than ever, I just don't think he hates losing enough anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think right now he wants to win more than ever, I just don't think he hates losing enough anymore

I think he is lacking a bit tactics wise from time to time

And also I bet he doesn't come down hard enough on players when they **** up cause you see the same mistakes every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

so how do people see things playing out? will we finish 4th and carry on as normal? fall out of the top 4? dare I say it, somehow even win it? of course we wont win it but im curious to know how people think the rest of the season and indeed next season will go. I think AW will announce next season is his last but I don't think he'll go on a big spree. one more season of mediocrity before AW hand picks a successor none of us would have predicted at all.

This season - 4th.
    Next season - 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I actually think when a new manager comes in well finish outside the top four. Now whether it's just for one season or multiple seasons I don't know but I get the feeling there will be an adjustment period.

Unless the club decides to do things a bit differently and make funds available we could be in for a few difficult years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

sonic85 wrote: »
    I actually think when a new manager comes in well finish outside the top four. Now whether it's just for one season or multiple seasons I don't know but I get the feeling there will be an adjustment period.

Unless the club decides to do things a bit differently and make funds available we could be in for a few difficult years

I agree that a new manager isn't going to turn us into automatic title winners. I think it could be a struggle for a while. I feel a bit torn. ive never loved ( yes loved) any player as much as I loved AW in his heyday. He was the man. so itll be sad to see him leave but the time has come for a change. but that time has come now and we'll all miss him to some extent. itll be odd without him but its time now. big shoes to fill. and I do think He'll handpick someone and it wont be a simeone, de boer etc

Imagine one guy controlled a billion dollar company. Imagine it. He decides that a single guy is all that matter. He decides that despite the fact that that guy has a rate of 20% absenteeism, as everyone does. Would you want him in charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think we will get 4th just about, I see a few more defeats in those last 9 games. I think it will go down to the last day once again. I think plenty of the fanbase will turn on Wenger by the end and you will see more banners of wanting him out then ever.

I think he's so stubborn that he will finish out his last year, even under immense pressure. I agree I don't think he will spend a lot of money, he will come out with the "no value" crap and will say his team is good enough to win the league. He will lose one or two top players in the summer, Ozil for sure. He will buy in one big name on the cheap and a lot of bargain buys. I think we will finish mid table, Wenger will go out damaging his legacy even more. Blame it on us fans of course and leave us worse off then ever.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think we will get 4th just about, I see a few more defeats in those last 9 games. I think it will go down to the last day once again. I think plenty of the fanbase will turn on Wenger by the end and you will see more banners of wanting him out then ever.

I think he's so stubborn that he will finish out his last year, even under immense pressure. I agree I don't think he will spend a lot of money, he will come out with the "no value" crap and will say his team is good enough to win the league. He will lose one or two top players in the summer, Ozil for sure. He will buy in one big name on the cheap and a lot of bargain buys. I think we will finish mid table, Wenger will go out damaging his legacy even more. Blame it on us fans of course and leave us worse off then ever.

It's that thing again, the banner was unveiled after a win. Bad timing but the fans are done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

What a pathetic conspiracy ridden quote. Take it easy I'd say.

take it easy.
    I had to put up with our 9 year trophy drought.
    FINALLY! After 3,283 days and 512 games, Arsenal claim a trophy with extra-time win Arsenal end their nine-year trophy drought with FA Cup win over Hull. And during that time listen to all that drivel about the stadium and no money ...

As Didi Hamman said the other night ..
    JAN 2 Arsenal are top of the PL by 2 points, have a good draw in the FAcup and still in CL
    http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/league-table.html?season=2015-2016&month=JANUARY&timelineView=date&toDate=1451692800000&tableView=CURRENT_STANDINGS

now look where we are, we are an embarassment, our mates who support other teams have actually stopped taking hte piss.. they feel sorry for us. Another year of failure and collapse... and Wengers newest excuse is its the fans fault.

And you want me to take it easy. That actually made me laugh.
    Judging by all the 'likes' around here , whats even more worrying is theres loads of people on this forum who think the same.
    Cripes I thought hte 'happy with 4th spot' 'we are financially sound' , 'ive a nice seat under my bum in hte new stadium' everything is grand brigade would finally be put too bed with this latest collapse but no.

I will take it easy, soon as Wenger is gone and he stops embarassing the club.
    Football has moved on, Wenger is a dinosaur, he has lost touch on what required in the modern game, wether its physical attributes of his team, modern tactics (zone marking at corners ffs), match day tactics, tactical substitutions, how to setup against different teams. He lost his touch with identifying talent many years ago.

Wengers on his way out, its only a matter of time now, the writing is on hte wall. The only question is will it happen this year or is he going to drag us thru another 12 months of pathetic managment.
    Thankfully I have many many years of memories of Arsenal before Wenger arrived (anyone else got a 67 Arsenal jersey they wore as a child in the attic), and will have many years of memories post Wenger. I guess some posters have never known an Arsenal without Arsene.
    Thankfully I support and follow Arsenal football club.
    This has been one of the worst periods for the club , and im talking about the last 5-6 years, if not longer.

Its all good, spring has arrived, Wenger is done, Arsenal football club will be returned to the fans.

So are we not talking about calendar year tables any more? :pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    How is this different to every other window though? The backlash is never as big as everyone says it will be and he withstands what little there is every time.

I believe that going into next season, it will be the first time that Wenger is completely out of excuses.

Can't use the financially doped clubs excuse
    Can't use the injuries excuse
    Can't use the stadium excuse
    Etc etc

This is the first time I literally feel he has nowhere to hide. Every other season there has been something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Eurosport doing their usual ridiculous stuff in their 'paper round' but its an interesting thought. Zlatan could do some serious damage with Oezil feeding him.

• Advertisement

It's perfectly fair and true to say that it's Arsenal FC not Arsene FC but there's no doubting that 20 years in charge has made him a pretty permanent feature at the club, .

I wonder what plans the club has in place for succession management - not just who will take over but the whole process. For most clubs it's a pretty regular occurrence and they must have processes in place to ensure it's smooth and the effect on the club as a whole and especially the playing staff is negligible.

We've seen how badly it can go wrong when a long-standing manager is removed, I wonder what lessons can be learned from Man Utd's experience. Not to listen to the incumbent about his replacement would be one. And maybe not to remove the entire back room staff would be another.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I believe that going into next season, it will be the first time that Wenger is completely out of excuses.

Etc etc

This is the first time I literally feel he has nowhere to hide. Every other season there has been something.

This was my take on it about 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

take it easy.
    I had to put up with our 9 year trophy drought.
    FINALLY! After 3,283 days and 512 games, Arsenal claim a trophy with extra-time win Arsenal end their nine-year trophy drought with FA Cup win over Hull. And during that time listen to all that drivel about the stadium and no money ...

As Didi Hamman said the other night ..
    JAN 2 Arsenal are top of the PL by 2 points, have a good draw in the FAcup and still in CL
    http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/league-table.html?season=2015-2016&month=JANUARY&timelineView=date&toDate=1451692800000&tableView=CURRENT_STANDINGS

now look where we are, we are an embarassment, our mates who support other teams have actually stopped taking hte piss.. they feel sorry for us. Another year of failure and collapse... and Wengers newest excuse is its the fans fault.

And you want me to take it easy. That actually made me laugh.
    Judging by all the 'likes' around here , whats even more worrying is theres loads of people on this forum who think the same.
    Cripes I thought hte 'happy with 4th spot' 'we are financially sound' , 'ive a nice seat under my bum in hte new stadium' everything is grand brigade would finally be put too bed with this latest collapse but no.

I will take it easy, soon as Wenger is gone and he stops embarassing the club.
    Football has moved on, Wenger is a dinosaur, he has lost touch on what required in the modern game, wether its physical attributes of his team, modern tactics (zone marking at corners ffs), match day tactics, tactical substitutions, how to setup against different teams. He lost his touch with identifying talent many years ago.

Wengers on his way out, its only a matter of time now, the writing is on hte wall. The only question is will it happen this year or is he going to drag us thru another 12 months of pathetic managment.
    Thankfully I have many many years of memories of Arsenal before Wenger arrived (anyone else got a 67 Arsenal jersey they wore as a child in the attic), and will have many years of memories post Wenger. I guess some posters have never known an Arsenal without Arsene.
    Thankfully I support and follow Arsenal football club.
    This has been one of the worst periods for the club , and im talking about the last 5-6 years, if not longer.

Its all good, spring has arrived, Wenger is done, Arsenal football club will be returned to the fans.

That's a well explained passionate Fan's viewpoint.

People aren't against what you're saying.

But making statements based on national stereotypes and inventing crazy conspiracy theories don't make sense. No one disgrees with your passion or the fact that Wenger is past it.

gosplan wrote: »
    That's a well explained passionate Fan's viewpoint.

People aren't against what you're saying.

But making statements based on national stereotypes and inventing crazy conspiracy theories don't make sense. No one disgrees with your passion or the fact that Wenger is past it.

Agreed, and it's only this season that he's really lost it for me. I would like to think that the Wenger from 4 or 5 years ago would have had the league wrapped up at this stage, what with all the fallers among the favourites.

When you say returned to the fans, you mean still owned by Stan you-don't-get-into-this-to-win-championships Kroenke, right?

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    Eurosport doing their usual ridiculous stuff in their 'paper round' but its an interesting thought. Zlatan could do some serious damage with Oezil feeding him.

Oh Jesus.

Imagine that.

At least one f*cker who isn't afraid of Chelsea.

Etc etc

This post could realistically apply to any of the last 4 seasons. Apart from the injuries excuse. That is something we have to deal with season after season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So I'm back after my 'sabbatical'!!!

Much and all that I'd love Ibra, I doubt it will happen. Wenger is not the type to buy into a one year player, despite his obvious strengths. Imagine if we had him though next year, we'd only be 2 players short of a world class team!!!

It also pains me to say it, but despite that 'decent' display against Barca, I'm in the Kronke out camp! I don't think that even if we had a joint management team of Pep, Arsene, Jose, Diego and Manuel, that we'd win f**k all with him in charge. We're a toy to him. He needs to be out now! I'm starting to get the feeling that we will hit a downward slide that could become unstoppable. We're a shadow of our former selves.

emmetlego wrote: »

Much and all that I'd love Ibra, I doubt it will happen. Wenger is not the type to buy into a one year player, despite his obvious strengths. Imagine if we had him though next year, we'd only be 2 players short of a world class team!!!

It also pains me to say it, but despite that 'decent' display against Barca, I'm in the Kronke out camp! I don't think that even if we had a joint management team of Pep, Arsene, Jose, Diego and Manuel, that we'd win f**k all with him in charge. We're a toy to him. He needs to be out now! I'm starting to get the feeling that we will hit a downward slide that could become unstoppable. We're a shadow of our former selves.

it would be good if we we're a toy to him. I think Chelsea are a toy to Abramovich.

I think Arsenal are a financial management tool to Kroenke, or something along those lines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    it would be good if we we're a toy to him. I think Chelsea are a toy to Abramovich.

I think Arsenal are a financial management tool to Kroenke, or something along those lines anyway.
    You're spot on, I phrased that badly, we're one of his financial toys. Meaning he toys with us for his financial gain.

If anyone needs to p*ss off it's Kroenke.

Nothing is fully clear on what's going on there at the moment, but again, it makes no sense that Arsene would do everything he did regarding the sacrifices for the new stadium only to then refuse to use the money it (& the new tv cash) brought into the club.

I don't know what the two say to each other, but it just does not add up. All we know for certain is that Arsene loves the club. That does not appear to be the case with the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If we'd a decent manager we'd have won the league this year. You can't blame Kroenke for us not winning the league this year. That's down to Wenger.

The only other thing we know for sure is that like the old "I did not see the incident", we know Wenger can be extremely economical with the truth if he doesn't want to admit the real story.

Its not on Kroenke's shoulders that we've pissed the league away this year. There's absolutely no way he can be blamed. Its all on Wenger. His players, his system, his lack of motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its not on Kroenke's shoulders that we've pissed the league away this year. There's absolutely no way he can be blamed. Its all on Wenger. His players, his system, his lack of motivation.

Of course he can be blamed. There is absolutely no pressure on wenger from him or the board to succeed. You heard the interview he did, all about money, doesn't care about whether the team wins or loses. As a result wengers vanity project of the last few years has been allowed to go unchecked. At no other club would this malaise have been put up with

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement