Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Anyone know how long Kos is out for?

according to Wenger, for the next 2 games, potentially back next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well I'm not an Arsenal fan first of all.

You complain about Giroud not being good enough. Who should he have bought so? What striker in he last year or two should he have went out and bought?

Someone like Benteke perhaps? He was banging them in for Villa last year sure

This has been argued to death in previous Arsenal threads, I suggest you go and read them. I don't think anybody here is interested in having the Giroud is good/not good enough debate again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've followed this thread in recent weeks and I just can't get over the negativity. Fair enough the results haven't been great but from what I've seen they aren't actually playing that badly. Just they can't seem to score. They are creating the chances which is vital, just they're not going in through a combination of strikers being low on confidence and sheer bad luck. But against Barcelona despite being dominated they still created about 4 glorious chances with about 35% possession. Likewise the other night against Swansea the game was lost because they missed loads of chances and the usually excellent Cech made a poor mistake.

Yet Wenger is blamed for everything. How is it his fault strikers are missing great chances? Or his goalkeeper flaps at a cross?

And as bad and all as the results have been, if they beat Spurs on Saturday they are probably favourites to win the league again because the bookies still have their doubts on Leicester.

The hyperbole and negativity in here is almost beyond belief.

Dead right, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

wonski wrote: »
    Some people are being realistic galwaylad.

We do miss a lot of chances and as a fan I still don't see us being on top at the end of the season.

We have to rely on other clubs to fail at this moment.

If you asked me for an honest opinion I would give the title to Leicester - they seem to care. No matter how crazy it sounds this is the only club that deserves it now.
    I think it's unfair to say spurs and pochettino don't seem to care about winning the league or don't deserve it. Aside from Leicester they've shown serious fight this season. Something our whole squad could learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well I'm not an Arsenal fan first of all.

You complain about Giroud not being good enough. Who should he have bought so? What striker in he last year or two should he have went out and bought?

Someone like Benteke perhaps? He was banging them in for Villa last year sure

Benteke? They would have been better served going after the younger and much better Lukaku but Verton wouldnt have sold him after just paying 28m for him.

Liverpool over paid bringing in Benteke, if Wenger bought him in this summer and he flopped like ke has at Pool, he'd have that to deal with too and the fans would be even more pi**ed with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to say spurs and pochettino don't seem to care about winning the league or don't deserve it. Aside from Leicester they've shown serious fight this season. Something our whole squad could learn from.

I left them out out of respect for Arsenal.

We could learn something from our opponents, I agree with that.

They won with Swansea with 34 shots, 12 on goal iirc.

I was expecting Arsenal to destroy them. I was wrong...

Big game tomorrow, we will see who cares more.

This has been argued to death in previous Arsenal threads, I suggest you go and read them. I don't think anybody here is interested in having the Giroud is good/not good enough debate again.

Would be interesting if nothing that has been debated to death in previous threads could be mentioned. :D

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

In fairness, they've played nice football and built momentum. This is easier to maintain, because I'm sure they're all enjoying football right now.

Arsenal have been playing like absolute ****e for months now, and they can't snap out of it.

Still blows my mind that we're anywhere near Spurs, or the top of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've followed this thread in recent weeks and I just can't get over the negativity. Fair enough the results haven't been great but from what I've seen they aren't actually playing that badly. Just they can't seem to score. They are creating the chances which is vital, just they're not going in through a combination of strikers being low on confidence and sheer bad luck. But against Barcelona despite being dominated they still created about 4 glorious chances with about 35% possession. Likewise the other night against Swansea the game was lost because they missed loads of chances and the usually excellent Cech made a poor mistake.

They are playing appallingly. Losing to that United team, in the manner they did, is not down to us not actually playing that badly.
    Yet Wenger is blamed for everything. How is it his fault strikers are missing great chances? Or his goalkeeper flaps at a cross?

His players, he signed them. You ask who is out there better than Giroud. Really? We had the chance to sign Higuain but bottled it because he was a few quid extra.
    And as bad and all as the results have been, if they beat Spurs on Saturday they are probably favourites to win the league again because the bookies still have their doubts on Leicester.

If we'd beaten United last week this would have still applied. Ditto Swansea, due to other results. This team is utterly incapable of performing when the pressure is on.

Honestly, what way do you expect fans to react to 2 games where the team havent tried a leg and have been beaten by a third string Man United and a Swansea team battling relegation who actually rested players?? I have supported Arsenal for 30 years. I've seen poor teams, but always seen them try. We were pretty awful at stages in the mid 90's but you could always rely on effort. The performances in the last 2 games have been pathetic, spineless and completely unacceptable. I dont understand why negative reaction from fans surprises you.

keano_afc wrote: »
    They are playing appallingly. Losing to that United team, in the manner they did, is not down to us not actually playing that badly.
    They are losing in the manner they are because they are playing badly, and low on confidence. It's a vicious cycle.
    His players, he signed them. You ask who is out there better than Giroud. Really? We had the chance to sign Higuain but bottled it because he was a few quid extra.
    That's not the full story with Higuain. Also, all of the current players have played amazingly well at some stage. Problem is that none are right now.
    If we'd beaten United last week this would have still applied. Ditto Swansea, due to other results. This team is utterly incapable of performing when the pressure is on.
    This has been disproven loads of times. If they win this weekend, when pressure is possibly at it's highest, the naysayers will say it's because they had *no* pressure.
    Honestly, what way do you expect fans to react to 2 games where the team havent tried a leg and have been beaten by a third string Man United and a Swansea team battling relegation who actually rested players?? I have supported Arsenal for 30 years. I've seen poor teams, but always seen them try. We were pretty awful at stages in the mid 90's but you could always rely on effort. The performances in the last 2 games have been pathetic, spineless and completely unacceptable. I dont understand why negative reaction from fans surprises you.

Fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Go and troll somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Regarding Higuain, wasn't the deal between the clubs agreed upon then Real demanded more money, I could be wrong but now I think about it I remember something fishy going on.

We bloody well should have paid the extra few quid.

Regarding Higuain, wasn't the deal between the clubs agreed upon then Real demanded more money, I could be wrong but now I think about it I remember something fishy going on.

Exactly. We have more cash in the bank than all the other Premier League clubs combined. We should have given whatever they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

For me i have no problem with Arsenal walking away from that deal, price was agreed then madrid thinking they can do what they want added 5m to price at last minute.

Anyone got a decent bit of evidence about that? Have seen it loads of times without much backing up of it. Also unlikely that the club would ever admit to simply being too tight.

I also wonder how Higuain felt having everything sorted to move to London then suddenly having to change it all....

Anyone got a decent bit of evidence about that? Have seen it loads of times without much backing up of it. Also unlikely that the club would ever admit to simply being too tight.

Was it not the year we signed Ozil?

Concocted some story about Higuain so they don't come off as being too tight, then go and spend even more money on Ozil.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Was it not the year we signed Ozil?

Concocted some story about Higuain so they don't come off as being too tight, then go and spend even more money on Ozil.

That'll be a "no" then.

That'll be a "no" then.

It'll be a no to what?

Do you have any evidence of anything to do with the deal at all?

The Higuain thing is the biggest waste of time going on about. Just imagine if he was knocking in all those chances from Ozil......except for the small issue that if we had signed Higuain, we wouldn't have signed Ozil.

Anyway....

It'll be a no to what?

Do you have any evidence of anything to do with the deal at all?

The Higuain thing is the biggest waste of time going on about. Just imagine if he was knocking in all those chances from Ozil......except for the small issue that if we had signed Higuain, we wouldn't have signed Ozil.

Anyway....
    We didn't sign him, that's all we know for sure. I asked if anyone had any evidence of Real being meanies which is constantly thrown around as fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Remember the rumour wenger had to be persuaded to sign ozil by certain people to appease the fans.

Hmm rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In fairness, they've played nice football and built momentum. This is easier to maintain, because I'm sure they're all enjoying football right now.

Arsenal have been playing like absolute ****e for months now, and they can't snap out of it.

Still blows my mind that we're anywhere near Spurs, or the top of the league.

Sounds like we're on a downwards spiral! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

So predictions then....

I'm going to stick my neck out and say one nil to the Arsenal. It would be so Arsenal to pull it out of the bag tomorrow.

And no, we still aren't winning the league.

omega man wrote: »
    So predictions then....

I'm going to stick my neck out and say one nil to the Arsenal. It would be so Arsenal to pull it out of the bag tomorrow.

And no, we still aren't winning the league.

Draw. Not much use to us.

I maybe letting my heart rule my head but i predict a great result for the lads tomorrow, can't see us keeping a clean sheet so ill say 2-1

Come on lads no more heartbreak

2-1 to them. We could very well take the lead, but without Kos and Cech we will concede. If they get it back to 1-1 our heads will drop.

Ospina for MOTM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'll be watching through my fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Not excited at all for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Not excited at all for this game.

Have to agree. Even if we get a result I won't be convinced we've got the belief to go on a run.

Gonna be watching it with a hangover assuming I'm up early enough. Gonna be a very rough afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'll be missing the game unfortunately. Have a stag party that's starting from 10am till like 5am.

Hopefully if we win i'll catch some of it on MOTD.

SkySter wrote: »
    Have to agree. Even if we get a result I won't be convinced we've got the belief to go on a run.

So basically you're not happy if we win or lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭G1032

FixitFelix wrote: »

He's got a fair point. We could well go out and grab a win tomorrow but even if we do I wouldn't have much faith in us playing well enough for the remainder of the season to win the league.

But it'd still be super to beat Spurs. If nothing else, it might be the loss that stops them winning the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Obviously I'll be happy if we win. Just not convinced we'll push on.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'll be missing the game unfortunately. Have a stag party that's starting from 10am till like 5am.

What kind of a stag do doesn't involve sitting in the pub watching the football at 1 in the day? :P

What kind of a stag do doesn't involve sitting in the pub watching the football at 1 in the day? :P

One that involves everyone being Leeds supporters :pac:
    Na but really its just bad timing. We're gonna be out for beer at like 2/3pm so i'll have just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

We should need a lot more than winning one game to get over the last three results.

But I'll still be delighted nonetheless :D I'll quote True Detective, "There is no such thing as forgiveness. People just have short memories".

I'm at the stage now where losing will be no surprise whatsoever so it kind of feels like I've nothing to lose by giving us a chance tomorrow, if that makes sense.

Anyway i was just reminded that I have to bring my kids to some minecraft event thingy so I'll miss the match. Probably a good thing for my health but I won't deny I'll be glued to the mobile....

omega man wrote: »
    I

Anyway i was just reminded that I have to bring my kids to some minecraft event thingy so I'll miss the match. Probably a good thing for my health but I won't deny I'll be glued to the mobile....

Sure.. Kids

:pac:

• Advertisement

Sure.. Kids

:pac:

Ha ha but not my cup of tea. The X box is their domain, except for a bit of Fifa now and then ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

I'm gonna go with a 3-0 win. Ozil hat trick - f&ck up the spuds and shut up Johnny Giles at the same time.

Well I can dream - can't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

You're doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What have you lot done to Cech?!
    (Apologies, it's a late hour, to me he's class)
    Get well soon my glovver from another clubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Panthro wrote: »
    What have you lot done to Cech?!
    (Apologies, it's a late hour, to me he's class)
    Get well soon my glovver from another clubber.

Just a hammy injury, nothing as serious as what happened to him at Chelsea. Unfortunate timing but they haven't exactly been taking advantage of his excellent goalkeeping skills of late.

Said I was done watching this shower this season, but I'm a glutton for punishment and easily forget how poor they were midweek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Rambo or Coq has to get dropped today. Probably Rambo.

I know he's not at fault for everything but it's simply not working with him and Coq and he's probably due a rest.

On the other hand Campbell must start.

Taken from Arseblog after Swans game...

63 – Minutes played by Joel Campbell
    131 – Minutes played by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (Swans, ManU, Barca)
    56 – Touches by Joel Campbell today
    34 – Touches by Walcott in the last three matches
    33 – Passes by Joel Campbell today
    21 – Passes by Theo Walcott in the last three matches
    18 – Passes by Joel Campbell in the Swansea final third today…
    4 – Successful dribbles by Joel Campbell today (of 5, led all players)
    0 – Successful dribbles by Theo Walcott in the last three matches
    3 – Shots by Joel Campbell today
    1 – Shots by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (today was his first shot since Hull)
    2 – Chances created by Joel Campbell today
    1 – Chances created by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (also today)
    1 – Goal scored by Joel Campbell today
    0 – Goals scored by Theo Walcott in the last three games

Ospina
    Bellerin - Mert - Gab - Monreal
    Coq - Elneny
    Campbell - Ozil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

No way he will drop the golden boy Ramsey.

gosplan wrote: »

I know he's not at fault for everything but it's simply not working with him and Coq and he's probably due a rest.

131 – Minutes played by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (Swans, ManU, Barca)
    1 – Shots by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (today was his first shot since Hull)

Is that the same article that showed that Ramsey had pretty good stats?

I know today isn't really a day for messing around, but I would go:

Ospina
    Bellerin - Mert - Gabriel - Monreal
    Coq - Campbell
    Ramsey - Özil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

I think everyone knows how i feel about Walcott so these stats don't surprise me, as for the coq rambo debate, coq has been playing well, Ramsey gives him absolutely no support in the middle of the park.Ramsey is too busy flying forward , nearly scoring, nearly setting things up and when it breaks down he's still lingering up front while coq gets over run. Ramsey has been poor this season after a purple patch that lasted a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ospina
    Bellerin - Mert - Gab - Monreal
    Coq - Elneny
    Campbell - Ozil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

El Neny for Coquelin would be the change if I was changing that pairing. Ramsey is our best centre midfielder and will be vital against Spurs high pressing. Agree about Welbeck, Giroud deserves to be benched.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement