Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So it's both then?

I'm not saying what it is, as I said before there are a lot of things that contribute to whether a game is won or lost.

I'm not a fan of easy convenient labels.

keano_afc wrote: »
    That doesnt answer my question. Our seasons are Groundhog Day. Now, its a massive leap to say thats coincidence. This team consistently, season upon season, finds ways to throw games away. They are spineless, of that there is no doubt. And if you dont believe thats true, what is the reason for the same failings over and over again? (I think it begins in A and ends in rsene)

EDIT: No idea where that emoticon has come from

I didn't mention coincidence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

"Mesut Ozil is ready to leave Arsenal if Arsene Wenger remains in charge, according to reports in Spain"

lol if true

It used to be the case that players would leave if he left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    I didn't mention coincidence ?

You say the reason we bottle competitions season after season is not because we are spineless. If its not that, what is the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

L'prof wrote: »
    It used to be the case that players would leave if he left :(

I think it used be the case they only joined because of him. (Not that I believed any of that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

"Mesut Ozil is ready to leave Arsenal if Arsene Wenger remains in charge, according to reports in Spain"

lol if true

What the f*ck is funny about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ozil wants to win the Champions League.
    He's not going to do it with Arsenal and maybe he knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Guardiola was available and we didn't even ask him because the club isn't actively trying to replace Wenger or talk Wenger into leaving. Wenger should care enough the club to sit down with the board, agree to a plan to leave and should have been meeting with Guardiola to persuade him personally to take over for him. If I was in Wenger's position I'd know the last great thing I could do is not win the league but ensure a good replacement.

Also lets be honest, a LOT of people are looking at Guardiola at Bayern, seeing less good football and thinking he hasn't improved them at all, just got the job at the right time. Anyone could do what he's 'done' at Bayern, which is nothing really and anyone could have won most of the titles Barca did with Messi breaking out at the same time along with Iniesta/Xavi/valdes/etc all at their peak. If I was Guardiola, I'd be looking for a bigger task to prove my credentials. Winning stuff with Arsenal, turning around the mentality, making them winners again would prove way more than winning more league titles with City or chelsea.

i like this quote.

Its clear Pep went for the money and the easy ride. one must think if pep really is a great manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ozil wants to win the Champions League.
    He's not going to do it with Arsenal and maybe he knows that.

You'd have to wonder what was said to him to persuade him to join in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

You'd have to wonder what was said to him to persuade him to join in the first place.

"Want to see what £150m looks like? Stan lets us look at it at the end of every transfer window!"

• Advertisement

Pudders wrote: »
    "Want to see what £150m looks like? Stan lets us look at it at the end of every transfer window!"

lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

i like this quote.

Its clear Pep went for the money and the easy ride. one must think if pep really is a great manager

Agreed, I dunno why so many people think Pep is such a genius. Had a Barca team with some of the greatest players of this generation, then went to a Bayern squad loaded with unreal talent. Now off to moneybags city where he has some great players and a bottomless purse. If he went somewhere more restricted and proved himself then he might be worth the praise

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

lol if true

That's a quote from one sports magazine, and now all the newspapers are quoting this magazine. Can we please not believe everything we read. :rolleyes:

DeclanRe wrote: »
    That's a quote from one sports magazine, and now all the newspapers are quoting this magazine. Can we please not believe everything we read. :rolleyes:

Never pay any heed to what you read in Sports papers.
    I don't even buy them anymore. Rubbish the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

wonga77 wrote: »
    Agreed, I dunno why so many people think Pep is such a genius. Had a Barca team with some of the greatest players of this generation, then went to a Bayern squad loaded with unreal talent. Now off to moneybags city where he has some great players and a bottomless purse. If he went somewhere more restricted and proved himself then he might be worth the praise

Don't like when people say this.
    Yes, you're technically correct about him having some of the greatest players at his disposal.
    But you seem to forgot that he was the main reason they were considered the golden generation.

Xavi and Iniesta were very good but it was Pep that really got them noticed. He brought in Busquets, Pedro and Messi and turned them into the players they are now.
    He also got rid of Deco,Eto'o and Ronaldinho which at the time people thought was nuts.
    He had a 72.47% win rate, losing only 21 matches out of 247. They made Manchester United look like a u-21 team in the Champions League final.

I really don't understand why people try to undermine what Pep did at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Yes, you're technically correct about him having some of the greatest players at his disposal.
    But you seem to forgot that he was the main reason they were considered the golden generation.

Xavi and Iniesta were very good but it was Pep that really got them noticed. He brought in Busquets, Pedro and Messi and turned them into the players they are now.
    He also got rid of Deco,Eto'o and Ronaldinho which at the time people thought was nuts.
    He had a 72.47% win rate, losing only 21 matches out of 247. They made Manchester United look like a u-21 team in the Champions League final.

I really don't understand why people try to undermine what Pep did at Barcelona.

I think It Is just frustration, Arsenal fans In particular will always point to the fact that so many successful managers had so much money at their disposal as opposed to us who hardly spent anything. People cling to this as a way of justifying our shortcomings and Wenger's shortcomings and will dismiss any successful manager who has some funds to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Groundhog Day yes.
    Doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results being a sign of madness yes.
    Wengers inability to motivate yes.
    Wengers unwillingness to make necessary purchases yes.
    Wenger not giving a toss about fans yes.
    Kroenke only being in it for the money yes.
    Wenger accepting this yes.
    We need change yes.
    Anyone who can't see the need for change at the top and a new approach is just deluded IMO.
    We are a joke at the moment and it shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Groundhog Day yes.
    Doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results being a sign of madness yes.
    Wengers inability to motivate yes.
    Wengers unwillingness to make necessary purchases yes.
    Wenger not giving a toss about fans yes.
    Kroenke only being in it for the money yes.
    Wenger accepting this yes.
    We need change yes.
    Anyone who can't see the need for change at the top and a new approach is just deluded IMO.
    We are a joke at the moment and it shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Given that Kroenke is only in it for the money and that there is no easy way to get rid of the guy means that we will be severely restricted in who we csn get to replace Wenger. Certainly among the elite.

The club would have to lower it sights in terms of a new manager just like it often does with players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Just my tuppence worth.

In my opinion, there is no point in replacing Wenger with Kronke in charge. He is in it to make money, and he has a massive respect for Arsene, so won't replace him. He is not in it to win, but if the team do it's a bonus. If any man can succeed in such restrictive circumstances, it's Arsene.

Now don't get me wrong, I want change, but I think it would be fruitless with Kronke running the boardroom! It's only become apparent to me recently just how little care Stan Kronke had for the success on the pitch, that makes me angry. I mean seriously, how can a fella run a sports club and not care if they win or not? The key difference is Arsene cares and wants to win... I'm just not sure he has it anymore... That makes me very sad! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

emmetlego wrote: »
    Just my tuppence worth.

In my opinion, there is no point in replacing Wenger with Kronke in charge. He is in it to make money, and he has a massive respect for Arsene, so won't replace him. He is not in it to win, but if the team do it's a bonus. If any man can succeed in such restrictive circumstances, it's Arsene.

What restrictions though? Kronke has sanctioned the purchases of Ozil and Sanchez. Who is to say it wasn't Wenger hamstringing himself last summer that meant we didn't get another big (outfield) player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just my tuppence worth.

If any man can succeed in such restrictive circumstances, it's Arsene.

If you had have told me this at the start of the season I would have fully agreed with you but Wenger has done his best this season to convince me otherwise.

Wenger won't spend the money even when it's there, 10 million last summer is a fúcking joke. We need another manager in who will identify and pursue talent and will buy what's needed.

Yes a new keeper was needed last summer that's fair enough and fair play to Arsene for landing Cech, an outstanding signing. But not buying another striker was absolutely criminal and has clearly come back to bite us.

The goals dried up for too long and now it sadly looks like it's too late for us to do anything about it now that the team are playing again :(

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    If you had have told me this at the start of the season I would have fully agreed with you but Wenger has done his best this season to convince me otherwise.

Wenger won't spend the money even when it's there, 10 million last summer is a fúcking joke. We need another manager in who will identify and pursue talent and will buy what's needed.

Yes a new keeper was needed last summer that's fair enough and fair play to Arsene for landing Cech, an outstanding signing. But not buying another striker was absolutely criminal and has clearly come back to bite us.

The goals dried up for too long and now it sadly looks like it's too late for us to do anything about it now that the team are playing again :(

http://www.90min.com/posts/3054945-arsenal-said-to-be-considering-jose-mourinho-as-shock-wenger-replacement

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Really isn't Kroenke's fault that the team have pissed away the league this season. Apart from Mahrez, Vardy and maybe Kante, who in the Leicester team would walk into our side? And yet they're 11pts ahead of us. We have the players, but unfortunately we have a manager who can't get the best out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ever read any of the articles on that site? Nothing but shíte mate.

So which player did any of the top teams sign last year that would have made a difference to us?

YAWN!!!!!!!! I'm done with this argument!

:-)

#KronkeOut! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

keano_afc wrote: »
    Really isn't Kroenke's fault that the team have pissed away the league this season. Apart from Mahrez, Vardy and maybe Kante, who in the Leicester team would walk into our side? And yet they're 11pts ahead of us. We have the players, but unfortunately we have a manager who can't get the best out of them.

Maybe Kante :eek: Kante is Leicesters best player, just because he isnt racking up goals doesnt mean he wouldnt walk into Arsenals team, hes easily better than anything you currently have their, including Carozla when hes back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

So which player did any of the top teams sign last year that would have made a difference to us?

YAWN!!!!!!!! I'm done with this argument!

:-)

#KronkeOut! :-)

De Bruyne, Deulofeu, Martial, Schneiderlinn, van Dijk, Shaqiri , Alderweireld , Pedro off the top of my head. Not to mention all the players available who didn't move to premier league teams.

But no the team that finished 12 points adrift of 1st last year was almost perfect and only needed 10 million spent on it to be a title winning team you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I still don't get why people are blaming Kronke.

Wenger has been not spending for years.

I mean clearly the cash and interest in Elneny was there in the summer. Wenger held off.

Really you can't attribute much to Kronke.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

I think Pep did well but a lot of managers would have with those players.

Barca now are as good.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    De Bruyne, Deulofeu, Martial, Schneiderlinn, van Dijk, Shaqiri , Alderweireld , Pedro off the top of my head. Not to mention all the players available who didn't move to premier league teams.

But no the team that finished 12 points adrift of 1st last year was almost perfect and only needed 10 million spent on it to be a title winning team you're right.

Wouldn't agree with all of them and the likes of de Bruyne and Pedro weren't possible once the likes of City and Chelsea were willing to throw silly money at them. Nobody can say they were genuinely happy with the summer transfer window though even if Arsenal did actually strengthen to some degree.

gosplan wrote: »
    I think Pep did well but a lot of managers would have with those players.

Barca now are as good.

I think Pep is great and fear what he'll do at City with that squad and unlimited transfer funds. I have to agree though, this Barca team is every bit as good, if not better than under Pep.

L'prof wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree with all of them and the likes of de Bruyne and Pedro weren't possible once the likes of City and Chelsea were willing to throw silly money at them. Nobody can say they were genuinely happy with the summer transfer window though even if Arsenal did actually strengthen to some degree.

I'm fairly done with this approach to the argument at this stage.

It might be hard to find the players but Wenger has to at least try.

If it was just this summer than fine but it's every window. Like I said a few days ago 6 transfer windows have come and gone with us needing a different striker to compliment/back-up Giroud. We only got the emergency Welbeck signing when Giroud broke his leg (and luckily for us, he did so during the window).

For each window I'd be hard pressed to name the obvious striker we should have bought but 3 years is a long long time to leave such a gap. No other manager would get away with that.

It shows a massive lack of desire to win.

Great article on Arseblog about Wenger and replacing him:

http://arseblog.com/2016/03/thingymajig-out-but-what-comes-in-and-how/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

lol if true
    lmao

Fascinating additions to the thread.

To be honest I think his time should be up in the summer but some of the vitriol I have seen aimed at Wenger over the last few weeks is absolutely shocking.

200 million?????

Clear choice for Wenger there.

Spend it or go IMO.

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    Fascinating additions to the thread.

To be honest I think his time should be up in the summer but some of the vitriol I have seen aimed at Wenger over the last few weeks is absolutely shocking.

I agree with this, been thinking of leaving here for a while, but I continue to post as I think the other side of the fence needs representing too

Good article.

Arseblog & it's podcasts are fantastic.

I have always said that I don't care who manages the club as long as we are doing our best on the field and willing to die for the jersey.

The players have not being doing their best for many games, not putting in tackles, not tracking back, turning their backs to shots etc.

The fault for that lies with the manager as well as the fact that he hasn't filled glaring gaps, now and in the past. He has also continued to play lads who were totally off form and refused to play lads who were in form and trying hard.

I have no doubt that Wenger will be here next season and for many seasons after that. Having said that the onus is on him to change. His manegement is not working. He has failed this season and in the past number of seasons, stadium debt will not get him off the hook any longer.

Next season it's die dog or shyte the licence time for Wenger. Hopefully the criticism this season will kick-start him into responding to the failures of the past. Hopefully BUT don't hold your breath lads.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Good article.

Arseblog & it's podcasts are fantastic.

thought it was more of the same again. Back to the future kind of article.

Good article showing that Wenger has made the club dependent on him.
    Scouting staff would need to be updated? Yeah, no ****. Don't need to wait for Wenger to leave for that.

Sometimes it's worth starting over. Had we got rid of Wenger a few years back we'd be a few years further along rebuilding. The longer he stays the longer it takes.

• Advertisement

Good article showing that Wenger has made the club dependent on him.
    Scouting staff would need to be updated? Yeah, no ****. Don't need to wait for Wenger to leave for that.

Sometimes it's worth starting over. Had we got rid of Wenger a few years back we'd be a few years further along rebuilding. The longer he stays the longer it takes.

I think the point to take from that article (which I agree with) was that you don't really have a clue with regard to the statement you made above.

Had we gotten rid of Wenger, we may be better off and we may not.

I have no problem taking a leap of faith and a risk on someone but to definitively say it would have worked out of completely wrong.

We may have spent a load and need massive investment still.

gosplan wrote: »
    I think the point to take from that article (which I agree with) was that you don't really have a clue with regard to the statement you made above.

Had we gotten rid of Wenger, we may be better off and we may not.

I have no problem taking a leap of faith and a risk on someone but to definitively say it would have worked out of completely wrong.

We may have spent a load and need massive investment still.
    Risk I'd be delighted if we'd hurry up and take.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If we get rid of Arsene, would people be ok with Arsenal finishing in 7th or 8th or so for a few years? Let's say we get in our dream manager (whoever that may be), what is the minimum he should achieve? Should he be fired if he can't get top four next season?

There's not gonna be many clubs again sticking with a manager more than 3 years anyway. If after 2 seasons we've regressed then yeah, get rid of him. That said, it's gonna be a massive job to get any kind of structure in place since we seemingly have none.

Again though, just looking at our squad. Players' ages in 2 years' time:
    Rosicky 37
    Cech 35
    Arteta 35
    Flamini 34
    Mertesacker 33
    Cazorla 33
    Debuchy 32
    Koscielny 32
    Monreal 32
    Giroud 31

Out of those players we should be keeping Cech and a couple of others while blooding replacements. However Bellerin will be gone once his Barcelona DNA activates so that's a RB needed. Along with our CB partnership being 32/33 and LB at 32. There's a big overhaul ahead (that list doesn't include several players we should've got rid of before) and we should bloody well do it whoever the manager is. We've seen this season that the team isn't good enough. It's not time for a signing here and there.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If we get rid of Arsene, would people be ok with Arsenal finishing in 7th or 8th or so for a few years? Let's say we get in our dream manager (whoever that may be), what is the minimum he should achieve? Should he be fired if he can't get top four next season?

Why is everyone so negative here?
    Why do people think we would regress under a new manager?

Teams did not regress when Mourinho, Van Gal, Klopp, Pocchitino, Guardiola etc arrived at their clubs so why should Arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Teams did not regress when Mourinho, Van Gal, Klopp, Pocchitino, Guardiola etc arrived at their clubs so why should Arsenal?

I think whats happened at United has probably got people worried.

They had a similar set up with a manager there 20+ years with total control. Now while he didnt leave them in the best shape they are absolutely unrecognisable from any season for the last 20 odd under Fergie.

I am not saying it will happen at Arsenal but I guess thats the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

ronjo wrote: »
    I think whats happened at United have probably got people worried.

They had a similar set up with a manager there 20+ years with total control. Now while he didnt leave them in the best shape they are absolutely unrecognisable then any season for the last 20 odd.

I am not saying it will happen at Arsenal but I guess thats the fear.

I guess the thing people need to ask themselves is are you willing to get rid of Wenger and take a risk in a new guy that things will improve or happy to watch the same movie every season under Wenger. Me personally i want to see change and am willing to take a risk on a fresh set of ideas to shake up the squad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not being negative, just want to get a feeling for what people think.

Personally, I think Arsenal can do an awful lot better than what we're doing right now. I'd hope that a new manager could take what's there, add several players, and push us to the top, but with the current control that Arsene has, I fear that it's not going to be a one or two year job.

Is it worth pointing out we are ahead of all of them except Pochetino?

Granted Guardiola hasn't joined the league yet, (although we did beat him when he came over earlier in the season).

And the other lad got fired because even his own team hated him, so no sure if that counts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement