Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Pudders wrote: »
    I think it used be the case they only joined because of him. (Not that I believed any of that).

https://twitter.com/MesutOzil1088/status/712290491010830337

For some he is still the reason :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

it's all pr of course. Still nice he quashed it so quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Apparently we've agreed a deal for Xhaka. Between him Coq, Elneny and Rambo, we'd be stocked for CMF's for years. Wilshire would be superfluous but a bonus should he get for.

As regards Wenger, I've no problem moving forward but with a plan. It's the 'Wenger out and everything will be great' thing I don't agree with.

All that said Utd had a plan. We'd have spent all our reserves and be fighting for fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont think any of us are of the opinion that Wenger out = instant success. There's going to be a period where we might not be competing (eh, different from now I guess) and the Champions League might be missed out on.

We do need change though. If it takes a couple of seasons before we see us compete again so be it. Might be a case of a couple of steps back before we can move forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Again though, just looking at our squad. Players' ages in 2 years' time:
    Rosicky 37 (1)
    Cech 35
    Arteta 35 (12)
    Flamini 34 (24)
    Mertesacker 33
    Cazorla 33
    Debuchy 32 (7)
    Koscielny 32
    Monreal 32
    Giroud 31

Out of those players we should be keeping Cech and a couple of others while blooding replacements. However Bellerin will be gone once his Barcelona DNA activates so that's a RB needed. Along with our CB partnership being 32/33 and LB at 32. There's a big overhaul ahead (that list doesn't include several players we should've got rid of before) and we should bloody well do it whoever the manager is. We've seen this season that the team isn't good enough. It's not time for a signing here and there.

The ones in bold will be gone in the summer & have had relatively little impact on our season this year anyway regardless (appearances in brackets, most of those are substitute as well). The likes of Giroud, Mertesacker & Cazorla don't rely on pace either so age isn't a big factor within reason.

Not a big overhaul tbh, Jenkinson can replace Debuchy, Iwobi can replace Rosicky, Toral for Arteta, we've seen Elneny in for Flamini already.

What Arsenal need to do is to go out and find better players than we currently have starting so you push the likes of Mertesacker, Coquelin, Giroud and Campbell into the category of squad depth rather than replacement.

To that end I really think we need to ignore the likes of being linked with Benzema et al and go after (a) someone like Auba/Draxler/Howedes or (b) someone out of favour a big club like Isco.

Go in spend £60m and hopefully it works out, if it doesn't and we have to sell for £20m down the line then what about it. We have £200m in the bank.

gosplan wrote: »
    Apparently we've agreed a deal for Xhaka. Between him Coq, Elneny and Rambo, we'd be stocked for CMF's for years. Wilshire would be superfluous but a bonus should he get for.

Granit Xhaka is exactly the type of player I'm on about.

Really need to sort out the right side of the attack too; would ideally like to see someone who can play there & #10 to cover for Ozil if we needed it.

cson wrote: »
    The ones in bold will be gone in the summer & have had relatively little impact on our season this year anyway regardless (appearances in brackets, most of those are substitute as well). The likes of Giroud, Mertesacker & Cazorla don't rely on pace either so age isn't a big factor within reason.

Not a big overhaul tbh, Jenkinson can replace Debuchy, Iwobi can replace Rosicky, Toral for Arteta, we've seen Elneny in for Flamini already.

What Arsenal need to do is to go out and find better players than we currently have starting so you push the likes of Mertesacker, Coquelin, Giroud and Campbell into the category of squad depth rather than replacement.

To that end I really think we need to ignore the likes of being linked with Benzema et al and go after (a) someone like Auba/Draxler/Howedes or (b) someone out of favour a big club like Isco.

Go in spend £60m and hopefully it works out, if it doesn't and we have to sell for £20m down the line then what about it. We have £200m in the bank.
    Well at RB I'm not quite sold on Bellerin. Between his being so far forward so often and his Barce DNA who knows where he'll be in 2 years. Similarly Coquelin hasn't been outstanding since his injury so how good is he as a long-term option?
    Also if we need to be signing starts just for Mertesacker, Coquelin and Campbell that's 4 first-teamers to sign. While also maintaining depth.
    2 years is a long time for us to sit around. Xhaka should be a good signing but ultimately I don't think we're going anywhere under Wenger tactically and that's as important as the personnel.
    I'd still sooner spend big money on proven players than potential. Why take the chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

cson wrote: »
    Granit Xhaka is exactly the type of player I'm on about.

Really need to sort out the right side of the attack too; would ideally like to see someone who can play there & #10 to cover for Ozil if we needed it.

Cover for Ozil Is the last thing we need In fairness... Cazorla Is still class and although Rosicky Is getting older and older I still love the guy and would be delighted to see him starting for us In some Prem/Cup games. If Rosicky ain't your cup of tea Ramsey or Wilshere could play 10 If both Ozil and Caz were out.

We need a goalscoring striker and It should be our no.1 priority. We need a right winger too and an experienced reliable CM along the lines of De Rossi or something. Then a CB or two and I think we're good. The last thing money would be going on though Is a number 10. Unless of course Ozil leaves.

We massively lack creativity when Ozil isn't around.

Bellerin is class and will be with us for the forseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Didn't realize just how strong those links to Granit Xhaka are
    TF: What if tomorrow Arsene Wenger calls and wants to take you, but the number is already taken?

Granit Xhaka: It was also like that at Gladbach, with Amin Younes. And at Arsenal Coquelin has it.

TF: You’ve already called?

Granit Xhaka: Yes, I’ve spoken with him, he would like to take another number (laughs).

not sure who TF is but this is from bild referencing and interview of his talking about a potential move and his favoured number back in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Granit Xhaka is a fantastic player! Absolutely nuts.. But fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Is anywhere reliable touting the Xhaka story? Very exciting if true. Seen him in 2 or 3 games and a few montages and he looks solid. Only 22 as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Is anywhere reliable touting the Xhaka story? Very exciting if true. Seen him in 2 or 3 games and a few montages and he looks solid. Only 22 as well!!

He's 23 and he doesn't address our issue of main concern. A proven goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Quazzie wrote: »

He would address our second biggest issue though so would be a big move. Not buying it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Isnt it interesting that we're being linked with a great prospect in March? The timing seems to be convenient, isnt it normally around this time that just as the fans are losing patience with the club that we are promised a "summer warchest" or something along those lines...
    Call me a cynic....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

wonga77 wrote: »
    Isnt it interesting that we're being linked with a great prospect in March? The timing seems to be convenient, isnt it normally around this time that just as the fans are losing patience with the club that we are promised a "summer warchest" or something along those lines...
    Call me a cynic....

Spot on. Iv seen 70 million war chest stories going around again :pac:

22, 23 no big difference. Could easily turn out to be another one of those world class players we missed out on so I'm all for signing him regardless of his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Call me a cynic....

Season ticket renewal coming up in about 3 weeks. They get us to renew before we know whether we have won 4th place.

And attract us with tales of spending!

Call me a cynic....

It usually aligns with the release of season tickets for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Pudders wrote: »
    Season ticket renewal coming up in about 3 weeks. They get us to renew before we know whether we have won 4th place.

And attract us with tales of spending!
    It usually aligns with the release of season tickets for next season.

Snap! Exactly what I was getting at, every single year. They really do take the piss at times...

• Advertisement

He would address our second biggest issue though so would be a big move. Not buying it though.

No, the best available striker is still a necessity.

We also need a midfielder and RW though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And at least one CB's. Mert is a liability. Kos and Gabriel just a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Don't know about anyone else, but I fully expect another farce of a transfer window and history repeating itself next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Groundhog Day. This thread reads the same as it did at this point in the season for the last 5 or 6 seasons at least. So sick of this shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

ronjo wrote: »
    I think whats happened at United has probably got people worried.

They had a similar set up with a manager there 20+ years with total control. Now while he didnt leave them in the best shape they are absolutely unrecognisable from any season for the last 20 odd under Fergie.

I am not saying it will happen at Arsenal but I guess thats the fear.

Under Ferguson Utd were successful nearly every single season. Most they went without a Prem Lge title is 3 or 4 seasons would it be? We havent got nearly as much to lose as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Agree. I think we need 2 top wingers as well. We have little or no penetration with Walcott and Ox out there.

Groundhog Day. This thread reads the same as it did at this point in the season for the last 5 or 6 seasons at least. So sick of this shíte.

Bit like the team.

How we could do with RvP in his prime, was such an incredible goal scorer with an edge to his game that Giroud simply doesn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    How we could do with RvP in his prime, was such an incredible goal scorer with an edge to his game that Giroud simply doesn't have.

Do people just forget he was always injured? Great player, but he played one full season for Arsenal hitting 30 league goals and it still wasn't enough to win a league. That was the only season he got over 20 league goals for Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Spot on. Iv seen 70 million war chest stories going around again :pac:

The funny thing is that £70 million will be **** all in the transfer market this summer. Every English team will have one of these "war chests" and more! We all saw the ridiculous fees paid out last summer, will be even worse this time round. If Wenger couldn't see any value in the market last summer than he sure as hell won't this summer.

We will be left, a couple of players short of a complete team/squad again as always. I'd love for Wenger to prove me wrong, but I'd say we will be lucky to see one big player come in in the summer.

• Advertisement

Morata being linked left, right and centre. Looked decent any time I've seen him, hardly prolific though.

L'prof wrote: »
    Morata being linked left, right and centre. Looked decent any time I've seen him, hardly prolific though.
    The link is saying that Madrid are going to use their buy-back clause to get him cheap and then sell to us at a massive profit. I wouldn't rely on that information too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The link is saying that Madrid are going to use their buy-back clause to get him cheap and then sell to us at a massive profit. I wouldn't rely on that information too much.

Is there not a rule to stop that not sure of the wording but something to do with players only allowed to have 2 clubs in a year or season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

i think madrid would get around this by not registering him if they bought him back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Personally, I think once the transfer market starts to move and shake in the centre forwards and strikers position, we will be in an excellent position to strike for a top class one. There has been no movement on that front for quite a few transfer windows, and Arsene was never one to try unsettle a lad at a club. If one was to become available, is say we'll be well placed!

All speculation of course!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Personally, I think once the transfer market starts to move and shake in the centre forwards and strikers position, we will be in an excellent position to strike for a top class one. There has been no movement on that front for quite a few transfer windows, and Arsene was never one to try unsettle a lad at a club. If one was to become available, is say we'll be well placed!

All speculation of course!

Yes and any good CF is guaranteed a starting spot and 20+ goals a season with Ozil teeing them up.

We're a great choice for a CF looking to advance their career right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We should have paid Madrid whatever they wanted for Higuain. It wasnt like we couldnt afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

keano_afc wrote: »
    We should have paid Madrid whatever they wanted for Higuain. It wasnt like we couldnt afford it.

I'd still go for him.

Though I refuse to get drawn into what if's this summer, its the same year after year.

With the Wenger/Kroenke situation as it is we're never going to have a 'big' transfer window addressing more than one position at a time, I fully expect this summer to consistently follow the previous recent summers with 1 decent signing maximum & a couple of younger lad with 'potential' brought in to mak eup the numbers when a few of the older players are moved on.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Lukaku all day for me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd personally break the bank for Aubameyang

The point for me is Lukaku, Higuain, Abumeyang. They're all available if you push hard enough.

The Walcott/Giroud option with Sanchez chipping in with a lot of goals clearly has not worked, and trying it has cost us a league title.

If you want to push the team forward this season it's clear you need to add goals. I think in the past, Wenger may have always seen an internal solution but there clearly isn't one.

With a defensive 6, we need a front four that add a lot of goals. For me there's 2 spaces up for grabs there.

Not trying to fill them this season is basically accepting failure.

The plan needs to be a club record transfer for a CF.

The point for me is Lukaku, Higuain, Abumeyang. They're all available if you push hard enough.

The Walcott/Giroud option with Sanchez chipping in with a lot of goals clearly has not worked, and trying it has cost us a league title.

If you want to push the team forward this season it's clear you need to add goals. I think in the past, Wenger may have always seen an internal solution but there clearly isn't one.

With a defensive 6, we need a front four that add a lot of goals. For me there's 2 spaces up for grabs there.

Not trying to fill them this season is basically accepting failure.

The plan needs to be a club record transfer for a CF.

Here's hoping.

Would Aubameyang be good in the EPL? Im legitimately asking that as a question, i don't know him as a player, I know he is scoring a lot, but so is Hernandez and Kalou.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Would Aubameyang be good in the EPL? Im legitimately asking that as a question, i don't know him as a player, I know he is scoring a lot, but so is Hernandez and Kalou.

Aubameyang is the mobile striker Theo Walcott thinks he is in his head. Exactly what this team needs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Is that Salamon Kalou :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I love all this talk about new strikers.

It will be the same as usual. Wenger will say "we have Welback, Giroud and Walcott, no need for new strikers. Ox and Iwobi can play there too".

Just wait and see lads.

Is that Salamon Kalou :D

It is indeed, Im not at all suggesting we sign him :D
    Im just saying he is scoring a lot in the the Bundesliga (13 out of 25 Apps), so maybe its easier to rack up the goals over there

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I love all this talk about new strikers.

It will be the same as usual. Wenger will say "we have Welback, Giroud and Walcott, no need for new strikers. Ox and Iwobi can play there too".

Just wait and see lads.

Spot on.

He also has always talked of not disrupting squads and so 2-3 players signed is max so doubt we'll have the major overhaul we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I think hanging on to AS and MO will be a challenge given that they are surrounded by under performers - I know Alexis hasn't been in great form lately but he's still a class act and cuts a very frustrated figure ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Lukaku all day for me!!!

No ****ing way

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement