Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

FixitFelix wrote: »
    No ****ing way

How come?

I'm a big fan of his this season he's been quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Lukaku would be a massive signing. Literally and figuratively. His goalscoring record at his age is nothing short of insane. Imagine finally having someone to finish off the chances Ozil creates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Lukaku??

na hell no! just a tiny upgrade to giroud

Lukaku??

Thats bollox in fairness. When has Giroud ever dribbled past players, at speed, before scoring. Lukaku is a massive upgrade on Giroud. Watch Lukaku's performance against Chelsea in the cup and tell me he's only a small upgrade on Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Lukaku??

He is what, 22? Already has a better goal scoring record over the past 2/3 years and a much worse club with lower service. How many times has Giroud carried the team on his back like Lukaku has? Definite no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

keano_afc wrote: »
    Thats bollox in fairness. When has Giroud ever dribbled past players, at speed, before scoring. Lukaku is a massive upgrade on Giroud.

Codswallop. Lukaku's hold up play and ability to link up with others would be a severe downgrade on Giroud. Given that we're not a counter attacking team for the most part, Lukaku would be wasted, he needs too much space to fit into our style play. Think Benteke for Liverpool, he'd just slow our attack down.

Buying someone to run the channels like Lukaka would be a waste. We need someone with more a pressing game to pin back the opposition defence and create space for Ozil & Sanchez. Someone in the mould of Mandzukic would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pudders wrote: »
    Spot on.

He also has always talked of not disrupting squads and so 2-3 players signed is max so doubt we'll have the major overhaul we need.

With respect, I don't think we need a major overhaul at all.

GK, Defence and Midfield 2 all fine. People talk about a Mert upgrade, which would be nice, but Mert didn't cost us the league. Our goals conceded is pretty respectable.

Front four you have Ozil and Sanchez nailed on, plus a squad player for each position.

Basically we need a striker and a winger for the first team. It'd be amazing what say De Bryune and Lukaku would do for us. Not saying we'd get them but I mention them because they've been/will be available.

Jesus look at Welebeck since he came back. He's a terrible finisher but has 3 in 5 in the PL simply because he's fast and plays with Ozil.

If Abeumyang or someone like that is after a big move to Barca or Madrid, the smartest thing they could do is join us for a couple of years. We'll make them look amazing.

Codswallop. Lukaku's hold up play and ability to link up with others would be a severe downgrade on Giroud. Given that we're not a counter attacking team for the most part, Lukaku would be wasted, he needs too much space to fit into our style play. Think Benteke for Liverpool, he'd just slow our attack down.

Buying someone to run the channels like Lukaka would be a waste. We need someone with more a pressing game to pin back the opposition defence and create space for Ozil & Sanchez. Someone in the mould of Mandzukic would be best.

Disagree with pretty much all of that, but hey. Thats the beauty of debate.

Now that's codswallop.

I can't stand the tippy tappy round of edge of the box shíte football that we play with Giroud on the pitch. Somebody with the pace, power and finishing ability of Lukaku would be ideal for Ozil to play with. He's the type of striker we should be aiming to build a squad around in my opinion.

And maybe we could do with playing counter attacking football from time to time we've looked incredible on the break at times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Now that's codswallop.

I can't stand the tippy tappy round of edge of the box shíte football that we play with Giroud on the pitch. Somebody with the pace, power and finishing ability of Lukaku would be ideal for Ozil to play with. He's the type of striker we should be aiming to build a squad around in my opinion.

x100 we'll never win the league with a striker like Giroud or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Somebody with the pace, power and finishing ability of Lukaku would be ideal for Ozil to play with.

Well, Walcott's got two out of the three and a fat lot of good it does us as we can't create the space for him to run into.

The only time players like Lukaku would look dangerous for us are when we're counter attacking, but in the majority of our games we're the one in possession meaning we counter attack less often.

Do people expect us to be able turn into a cagey catenaccio like team over night? And do people actually want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Lukaku would be a decent signing.
    Don't think he'd fit our system at all though. His touches are passes.

Aubameyang would be my favorite.

Well, Walcott's got two out of the three and a fat lot of good it does us as we can't create the space for him to run into.

The only time players like Lukaku would look dangerous for us are when we're counter attacking, but in the majority of our games we're the one in possession meaning we counter attack less often.

Do people expect us to be able turn into a cagey catenaccio like team over night? And do people actually want that?

But using the same logic, are you saying our style of football at present is better than what it could be? We are terrible to watch, and have struggled massively to score goals. To continue with our current style of play (whatever that is, even the players dont seem to have a clue any more) is detrimental to the team. We need change. Signing someone like Lukaku and getting back to the quick, attacking football we used to play is definitely something we should look at. Goodness knows its pretty awful at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Personally I'd love to see us sign someone like Antoine Griezmann. Has been very impressive the last three seasons any time I've seen him play. Very direct player and his scoring record this season speaks for itself. Walcott out Griezmann in. Not the CF player we need though.

If Dybala was available from Juventus - doubtful this would happen but you never know if enough money was thrown at them (laughable idea that Arsenal would be guilty of this). Aubemyang would likely cost 70m+ - can't see Arsenal paying any fee like that.

Seriously? Walcott does not have power or finishing ability which Is you know a key attribute for someone who should be scoring goals on a regular basis. He has pace but he rarely uses It.

Lukaku Is light years ahead of Walcott. Also Lukaku does not rely on creating space to run into he actually has the ability to dribble past players believe It or not. What are you talking about? Do you actually want to see the same sh1t year after year after year?

Bah to all this tactical stuff.

Is he fast??

Can he finish??

gosplan wrote: »
    Bah to all this tactical stuff.

Is he fast??

Can he finish??

Yes and yes. I find it hilarious that some people think we're in a position to turn our noses up to a striker like Lukaku.

Mr Blobby wrote: »

I don't buy this. Our "system" if you could call it that hasn't worked in years so why not change It?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yes and yes. I find it hilarious that some people think we're in a position to turn our noses up to a striker like Lukaku.

Exactly. Plus the big guy bringing people into the game isn't essential. Giroud does it to a degree(mostly from long kick outs). However see what Welbz can manage simply because he has the pace to burst into a channel and take up a wing forward position waiting for runs from midfield. It's been hugely refreshing to see that.

But that doesn't matter so much. No matter who the forward is, Ozil will top the stats for big chances created next year, as he has in pretty much every league all his life. A pacey finisher is what we need. Nailed on to be in the mix for top scorer if they stay fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When is season ticket renewal season finished so we can put all these rumours to bed. With the Euros on, nothing will happen till July, if even that. Lads here talking about Lukaku and Aubameyang, as if Wenger is gonna spend. It's like ye never learn. Get these record signing notions out of ye're head and settle in for another year of nearly-there-ism. I'm actually looking forward to November so that we can all dream of a league and Champions League double again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't buy this. Our "system" if you could call it that hasn't worked in years so why not change It?

We play the same system all the time it seems to me and good opposition play the same way to counteract us.
    Two banks of four and a free man to collect the loose ball and we can't penetrate. Especially if the opposition go a goal up.
    How often have you seen it before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Quazzie wrote: »
    When is season ticket renewal season finished so we can put all these rumours to bed. With the Euros on, nothing will happen till July, if even that. Lads here talking about Lukaku and Aubameyang, as if Wenger is gonna spend. It's like ye never learn.

I think we do learn but we also always have hope, however misguided that may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Another Wilshere set back. When is enough enough? He is Diaby version 2 at this stage. Wasting 100k a week on him. We did the same with Van Persie and he ditched us after a good 18 month spell. Cut him loose now and try to get some value on him.

Another Wilshere set back. When is enough enough? He is Diaby version 2 at this stage. Wasting 100k a week on him. We did the same with Van Persie and he ditched us after a good 18 month spell. Cut him loose now and try to get some value on him.

Lol. Link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Jack's crocked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Maybe if we hadn't dogged him in his first full season (played almost 50 games) then we wouldn't be in this situation? Was he injury prone as a youth player?

Can't help thinking that may have had an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mr Blobby wrote: »

He never come to Arsenal. If he's going to any clubs it be in Spain, seen as his family are based there. Bit like Reus, it's either staying with Dortmund for the rest of his career or going to Spain. Plus right now we need to aim our targets a little lower.

I think the fact we haven't won a league title in years or come close to a CL one, will definitely come in to play with top players, before anyone throws Alexis and Ozil both weren't main stars at their clubs when they came to us. Lukaku might be even a tough one to get through if City or Utd come into play plus Everton are now in big money with their new owner so they won't be too quick to sell their big names.

Sadly if Wenger is staying I doubt he splash the big cash needed for a striker. Until he goes expect cheap buys, haggling on bargains and youth players.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I actually think that AW will spend big this summer if he's still at the club. How sh1t would he feel if he left and the first thing the new guy does is spend big, get some world class players in and wins the league/CL? If there was ever a year that he spends then it's his last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Looper007 wrote: »
    He never come to Arsenal. If he's going to any clubs it be in Spain, seen as his family are based there. Bit like Reus, it's either staying with Dortmund for the rest of his career or going to Spain.

I think your most probably right but what a statement of intent his signing would be though. Ozil and Sanchez amd to a lesser extent Cech are seen as our most high profile signings of the last few years, but in truth they were all surplus to requirements at their clubs. It would be nice to go out and buy the likes of Aubameyang who is hot property and will be the target for the major clubs, would make a serious statement about where we are heading

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Looper007 wrote: »
    He never come to Arsenal. If he's going to any clubs it be in Spain, seen as his family are based there. Bit like Reus, it's either staying with Dortmund for the rest of his career or going to Spain.

All things being equal I'd say you are right but there are some factors.

Barcelona don't need him and I don't think he'd go there to be behind MSN. Real Madrid can't really afford him and would need to ship out someone before they could fit him in. So that might leave Bale, Benzema or Rodriguez available to us.

I would think Aubameyang is definitely moving this summer and hopefully that will start a merry-go-round of available strikers. In that environment, being prepared to spend money will land a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Hyzepher wrote: »
    All things being equal I'd say you are right but there are some factors.

Barcelona don't need him and I don't think he'd go there to be behind MSN. Real Madrid can't really afford him and would need to ship out someone before they could fit him in. So that might leave Bale, Benzema or Rodriguez available to us.

I would think Aubameyang is definitely moving this summer and hopefully that will start a merry-go-round of available strikers. In that environment, being prepared to spend money will land a top player.

Wouldn't touch Rodriguez with a barge pole ine of the most overrated players in football

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lukaku or Aubawhatshisname would be most welcome and look about the best of the realistically available lot.

I’d love a year of Ibra though too. Put himself and Sanchez up front with Ozil behind, Ramsey and Elneny/Coq providing midfield lungs and Santi building play from deep. We’ve gotten shag all from Welbeck/Walcott/Chamberlain in a 4-3-3 so ditch the wide players I say. Bellerin and Monreal provide all the width we’d need anyway, and having 3 CMs behind Ozil rather than 2 would make our midfield so much more solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I actually think that AW will spend big this summer if he's still at the club. How sh1t would he feel if he left and the first thing the new guy does is spend big, get some world class players in and wins the league/CL? If there was ever a year that he spends then it's his last year.

Sadly I do not think Wenger will change. If anything he will continue to spend little and try and prove everyone wrong. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I hate the timing of this international window. While I have 95 % given up hope of the league I do think that the next set of fixtures is our last chance to get back into it and give it a go. Leiceister and tottenham both have tough games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I hate the timing of this international window. While I have 95 % given up hope of the league I do think that the next set of fixtures is our last chance to get back into it and give it a go. Leiceister and tottenham both have tough games

For all the stress of this season, it's still miles better than feckin international friendly week.

I suppose at least we can't drop any points, that's good.

How some people are still optimistic about winning the league this year and how so many still have faith In Wenger Is beyond me, I'll have whatever they're smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

How some people are still optimistic about winning the league this year and how so many still have faith In Wenger Is beyond me, I'll have whatever they're smoking.

Im not. I said 5 % chance id hardly call that optimistic.

Im not. I said 5 % chance id hardly call that optimistic.

Ok? I never said you were but ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Ah come on. Wenger is a dinosaur who doesn't want to evolve and is hell bent at proving to the world that he can still do it his way and that he is smarter than everyone else. If wenger stays, which his arrogance makes me think he will, we can expect the same old story next season. If wenger truly loved the club as he claims he would move aside and help find a top replacement for us. Alas in my opinion wenger loves his own reputation more than arsenal and will continue to bluff away. Until we see change off the field we won't see change on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So Di Marzio confirmed that Arsenal are interested in Álvaro Morata but it will rely on Madrid's buy-back clause.
    Can't say i'm too excited about the thought of signing him. He's not much better than Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch Rodriguez with a barge pole ine of the most overrated players in football

Hardly call him overrated. He's a very good player who Real overpaid for because he was the flavour of the month. It's happened with a lot of players in the past, doesn't mean they aren't capable of being worldies at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hope springs eternal. Leicester need 13/14 points to ensure they will finish above us. That's still a fair amount when end of season nerves kick in.

Let's just see how it pans out before writing off our chances

greendom wrote: »
    Hope springs eternal. Leicester need 13/14 points to ensure they will finish above us. That's still a fair amount when end of season nerves kick in.

Let's just see how it pans out before writing off our chances

Believe me Greendom, I would love to be optimistic about winning the league and I would love to have faith In our manager, but I don't. I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that both Leicester and Spurs are going to lose/draw 3-4 games and we're going to win every game until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Maybe Im just deeply embittered and cynical but I think anyone who still thinks we can the league is delusional. Im wrong about a lot of things and hope im wrong again here. Arsenal need two clubs to collapse and which is even more unlikely, go win every game ahead now. Not going to happen.

Big summer spending spree ahead? Please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maybe Im just deeply embittered and cynical but I think anyone who still thinks we can the league is delusional. Im wrong about a lot of things and hope im wrong again here. Arsenal need two clubs to collapse and which is even more unlikely, go win every game ahead now. Not going to happen.

Big summer spending spree ahead? Please...

Well Leicester need to collapse, granted, but Spurs just need to stumble. Both are possible; I agree not that likely,especially when we have to put together a brilliant run of results to capitalise. Still....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It's not impossible sure didn't liverpool bottle with 3 games to go only 2 years ago and had a much better side than Leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Spurs are away to The Pool and then home to Utd in the next two games. We'll know a lot more after that. About them, anyway. The other lads will be much tougher to catch.

But I'm not giving up just yet.

• Advertisement

A collapse by Leicester and the Spuds cant be ruled out. The likelihood of us being able to capitalise on it is very small though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement