Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Seen martin keown in a shop earlier - made my day! Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

sonic85 wrote: »
    Seen martin keown in a shop earlier - made my day! Legend

I met him in Oxford castle a few years back. Top bloke, even slagged my nephew for being a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    So Di Marzio confirmed that Arsenal are interested in Álvaro Morata but it will rely on Madrid's buy-back clause.
    Can't say i'm too excited about the thought of signing him. He's not much better than Giroud.

Morata is far better and far younger than Giroud, this "not much better than Giroud" line gets thrown around in this thread way too often.

Also I wouldn't listen to a word out of Di Marzio

We're 6/1 to win the league. Even the most optimistic among us thinks they're unfair odds. I'd say we should be about 10/1 as fair. God 4 more points and we'd be money-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We're 6/1 to win the league. Even the most optimistic among us thinks they're unfair odds. I'd say we should be about 10/1 as fair. God 4 more points and we'd be money-on.

I dunno, Spurs have only dropped 3 less points and they're 5/2. Should they be longer odds too? Should Leicester be shorter than 8/13?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont think id be even slightly tempted by 10/1

L'prof wrote: »
    I dunno, Spurs have only dropped 3 less points and they're 5/2. Should they be longer odds too? Should Leicester be shorter than 8/13?
    Well this is it. We've the easiest fixtures but we're too far back. Bear in mind every prediction you do for Leicester, you've been wrong every time so far :p

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

keano_afc wrote: »
    A collapse by Leicester and the Spuds cant be ruled out. The likelihood of us being able to capitalise on it is very small though.

I think this title race will go to the last day and we will be in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This is it. Last day home to the Villa.

Anyone who thought they'd seen "Peak Arsenal" ain't seen nothin yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Very insightful and well written by Tim Stillman on Arseblog. Well worth a read:
    http://arseblog.com/2016/03/iwobi-trick/

• Advertisement

Welbeck....charging through the midfield........ITS UP FOR GRABS NOOOWWWWWW!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Welbeck....charging through the midfield........ITS UP FOR GRABS NOOOWWWWWW!! :D

Oh no! He's pulled his hamstring! And the ref blows for full time, a heartbreaking draw for Arsenal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sorry, but Villa have absolutely no chance of being in the mix at that stage of the season. The highest they can finish is 14th!

I'll get my coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We have to win our next 4 (Watford, West Ham, Palace, Brom).

Then we'd be on 67.

In the same time Leicester play Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham.

If they picked up 4 points there, they'd be on 70 and under massive massive pressure.

But if they get through those, they can afford a couple of losses in the last 4 games.

Really 2 of Saints, Sunderland, Ham have to take points off them while we win 4 from 4.

6-1 is insane. I'd say like 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gosplan wrote: »
    We have to win our next 4 (Watford, West Ham, Palace, Brom).

Then we'd be on 67.

In the same time Leicester play Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham.

If they picked up 4 points there, they'd be on 70 and under massive massive pressure.

But if they get through those, they can afford a couple of losses in the last 4 games.

Really 2 of Saints, Sunderland, Ham have to take points off them while we win 4 from 4.

6-1 is insane. I'd say like 20.
    Our next 4 games, we've already lost to 2 of these already this season. Whatever happens anywhere else, we won't be winning our next 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lads, for the last time. The league is over, stop tormenting yourselves.

Not over. We need everything to go right in the next 2/3 games.

If it doesn't, it's over then.

Now it's very unlikely.

I'm really looking at Leicester's next match against Southampton. I'll still hope unless they win that game. Then I'd be calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Agree. I will eat my proverbial hat if I am wrong. It is most likely Leicester, Spurs may well nick it. We need to get real and watch our back to at least have CL football.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Our next 4 games, we've already lost to 2 of these already this season. Whatever happens anywhere else, we won't be winning our next 4.

I never said otherwise.

But would you lay a 20-1 bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sanchez starved of any ball really last night. Vidal a huge loss for Chile. Well done Argentina.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35898290

• Advertisement

In terms of replacements for Arsenal what would be the general consensus here on Bilic? I'd have no problem with him taking over at Arsenal after seeing how hes done with West Ham. A hard case who knows how to play quality attacking football and has shown he isn't afraid to spend a few quid. I think he'd be a very apt appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    In terms of replacements for Arsenal what would be the general consensus here on Bilic? I'd have no problem with him taking over at Arsenal after seeing how hes done with West Ham. A hard case who knows how to play quality attacking football and has shown he isn't afraid to spend a few quid. I think he'd be a very apt appointment.
    Agreed,
    been a fan of his for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I never said otherwise.

But would you lay a 20-1 bet?
    Probably not, but more so because I'm tight bastard than anything else. :D

Quazzie wrote: »
    Probably not, but more so because I'm tight bastard than anything else. :D

Yeah. I'd even have trouble backing them at that.

Obv you could lay it but I can't see it happening.

Like I said, any tiny hope we have will either be extinguished or ignited after the Southampton game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently Ospina played very well for Colombia last night, but he picked up a knock and had to be helped off the field at full time.

Have to say he's done really well, much better than I expected since Cech got injured. Would rather Cech in goal of course, but we haven't missed him much imo.

Anyone have any news on the Cech injury? - will be very bad news if they're both out for any period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Morata is far better and far younger than Giroud, this "not much better than Giroud" line gets thrown around in this thread way too often.

Also I wouldn't listen to a word out of Di Marzio

Agreed. Better or not better who knows. He's not a mug though. For 60+ minutes Bayern were absolutely not able to contain him. I know the didn't score but he should have and he ran riot in the Bayern defence. Actually taking on 1 or 2 players and still getting crackers away that Neuer had real work to do with.

I know that doesn't make him a better player than Giroud or anything but he looked a handful and very competent at that level. Which is no small thing. I remember thinking during that game this is not the first time this guy is catching my eye. Thats exactly the kind of player Arsenal should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

14 goals in 57 games for Juve since he moved there. Id rather go with Welbeck next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

14 goals in 57 games for Juve since he moved there. Id rather go with Welbeck next season.

Don't worry you'll get your wish.

Don't worry you'll get your wish.

There league games in fairness so I'm doing him an injustice, he has 25 in 86 games for them. Im usually all for splashing the cash on new players but he would be an absolute waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

What about koeman. Has done a great job at Southampton even with the players they seem to lose every summer. Can organise his team very well which is something we could do with and would have the respect of the players with all he achieved in his playing career.

What about koeman. Has done a great job at Southampton even with the players they seem to lose every summer. Can organise his team very well which is something we could do with and would have the respect of the players with all he achieved in his playing career.

Definitely, we'd be laughing if we got Koeman

There league games in fairness so I'm doing him an injustice, he has 25 in 86 games for them. Im usually all for splashing the cash on new players but he would be an absolute waste.

He has 10 goals in 11 league starts this season which isn't bad at all. Have you actually seen him play at all this season or are you judging him purely on stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I wouldn't get rid of Wenger for Bilic or Koeman. If he has to go, Ancelloti or Simeone are the only two with the pedigree to replace him. If we can't get either of those then I say stick.

I wouldn't get rid of Wenger for Bilic or Koeman. If he has to go, Ancelloti or Simeone are the only two with the pedigree to replace him. If we can't get either of those then I say stick.

You mean Ancelloti that's on his way to Bayern and Simeone who doesn't look like leaving Atletico any time soon?

He has 10 goals in 11 league starts this season which isn't bad at all. Have you actually seen him play at all this season or are you judging him purely on stats?

Seen him about five times this season coupled maybe with ten other times over the last few seasons and really dont think he is anything special and certainly not worth 40 million. Hes not good enough to be a full time starter for Juve with Dybala there and I dont think he is for us either. Id rather we went for Higuain like we should have done last summer.

• Advertisement

Xhaka playing in the game later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Xhaka playing in the game later on.

Was looking for a reason to watch it cheers ;)

Giroud grabs himself a goal for France against Netherlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Giroud grabs himself a goal for France against Netherlands

Nicely finished too, on the volley. Quite a difficult finish that he made look easy. Griezemann got the first. Love to see him playing for Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Anyone know where I can get the "Cech 33" goalkeeper jersey/kit (home) for a kid? There's no home goalkeeper jersey available on Arsenal.com and my neighbour's kid wants one for his birthday and the poor old sods don't want to disappoint him. It's partially my fault he like Arsenal, so I feel guilty!

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Nicely finished too, on the volley. Quite a difficult finish that he made look easy. Griezemann got the first. Love to see him playing for Arsenal!

Giroud gets alot of flak but there is no way id have him as the poster boy for this seasons failure. Bully on AF tv is dead against him but tbh he throws himself about at least. I personally wouldnt get rid of him. He is an excellent squad option and has a brilliant attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Giroud gets alot of flak but there is no way id have him as the poster boy for this seasons failure. Bully on AF tv is dead against him but tbh he throws himself about at least. I personally wouldnt get rid of him. He is an excellent squad option and has a brilliant attitude.

I like him but he does miss a lot of chances.
    What annoys me is his staring up at the sky with his hands on his head every time he misses. I roar at the tv.

I like him but he does miss a lot of chances.
    What annoys me is his staring up at the sky with his hands on his head every time he misses. I roar at the tv.

At least he shows something resembling frustration. It would be worse if he started ROFLLING all over the place :D

He has hit near or over the twenty mark every season without fail. While it isn't mercurial stuff, its pretty impressive all the same. He even managed 19 last season despite being missing 3 months

I'd be curious too see his conversion rate in comparison to other strikers.

My feeling is he's not that bad but he's not great either. Doesn't create stuff for himself and finishing isn't fantastic.

However for that awful Jan/Feb run, my memory is that we just stopped creating chances full stop. Like there was no finishing to be done.

I'm really not sure of all the reasons for that but it's all on Wenger.

I feel a more rounded striker may have carried us a bit more than Giroud but it's unreasonable to put it all on Giroud.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get the "Cech 33" goalkeeper jersey/kit (home) for a kid? There's no home goalkeeper jersey available on Arsenal.com and my neighbour's kid wants one for his birthday and the poor old sods don't want to disappoint him. It's partially my fault he like Arsenal, so I feel guilty!

Other than Aliexpress, id say your out of luck in terms of looking at the mainstream sport sites. Im sure a young kid wouldnt know the difference if it came from aliexpress and it would come for half the price then from one of the main Rip-ublic off ireland retailers

we joke ffs. If you havent developed a sense of humour after all these years of following the Arsenal then what the hell else is left. :D

I'd be curious too see his conversion rate in comparison to other strikers.

My feeling is he's not that bad but he's not great either. Doesn't create stuff for himself and finishing isn't fantastic.

However for that awful Jan/Feb run, my memory is that we just stopped creating chances full stop. Like there was no finishing to be done.

I'm really not sure of all the reasons for that but it's all on Wenger.

I feel a more rounded striker may have carried us a bit more than Giroud but it's unreasonable to put it all on Giroud.

I agree with you tbh. Im not saying he's top class but he is a very good squad player. To be honest though i would doubt he knows his luck being number 1 striker at Arsenal for so long.

wawaman wrote: »
    Oh no! He's pulled his hamstring! And the ref blows for full time, a heartbreaking draw for Arsenal. ;)

ha ha :D ya aul negative b@stard :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Giroud also did this. The sexy bastard.

https://twitter.com/FutballTweets/status/713478227415670784

He has good all round vision and hold up play id say but im literally judging him on one lay off against Bayern.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement