Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

gosplan wrote: »
    Even discounting players we're not positive about

Ospina/Cheh
    Bellerin --- Mert/Kos/Chambers/Gab --- Monreal/Gibbs
    Coq/Xhaka --- Elneny/Caz
    Rambo/Campbell --- Ozil/Iwobi --- Sanchez
    Giroud --- Welbeck

That's leaving out Ox, Wally, Wilshire

I see space for another wide midfielder and a better striker.

Though I think Welbeck could be pretty good wide in a 4-3-3.

Has that got enough home-grown players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Respectfully disagree.

World class defenders don't really move.

And no point signing prospects if you're not going to give them a chance with a run if games.

People were hugely negative about Kos never making it for how first 18 months or so.

Sign Umtiti and in a year people will be saying the exact same about him as they are about Gab.

All that said, we've the third best defence in the league. Conceding a goal a game.

Think we were at about the best, or maybe a couple off Utd, before we lost Coq and Caz and ended up with Flamsey.

For me it's far more about the midfield being solid.

World class defenders move for world class money same as any world class player.

Who's talking about prospects? Umtiti Is still young but Is well established, he would easily play ahead of Chambers or Gab.

Why would anyone say what they say about Gab about Umtiti? 2 Completely different players.

I know the stats don't lie and we have a good defensive record this year but It's obvious when we play good teams (Barca, Bayern, even Chelsea this season) that our defence Isn't where It should (and easily could) be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

newbie2 wrote: »
    Has that got enough home-grown players?

Not sure, only 20 there. Need 8 in 25.

Iwobi, Wele, Rambo, Gibbs.

Do Bellerin & Coq count?

Can easily bring in striker and wide player.

World class defenders move for world class money same as any world class player.

Who's talking about prospects? Umtiti Is still young but Is well established, he would easily play ahead of Chambers or Gab.

Why would anyone say what they say about Gab about Umtiti? 2 Completely different players.

I know the stats don't lie and we have a good defensive record this year but It's obvious when we play good teams (Barca, Bayern, even Chelsea this season) that our defence Isn't where It should (and easily could) be.

Any 22 year old CB coming to UK will go through a spell of adjustment.

You're calling time on Gab and Chambers way to early.

The same rationale said Kos wouldn't make it and would say the same about Umtiti.

All IMHO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Even discounting players we're not positive about

Ospina/Cheh
    Bellerin --- Mert/Kos/Chambers/Gab --- Monreal/Gibbs
    Coq/Xhaka --- Elneny/Caz
    Rambo/Campbell --- Ozil/Iwobi --- Sanchez
    Giroud --- Welbeck

That's leaving out Ox, Wally, Wilshire

I see space for another wide midfielder and a better striker.

Though I think Welbeck could be pretty good wide in a 4-3-3.

I think we are scarily and awfully short at Centre Half.
    Other than Koscielny nobody is remotely good enough for a team challenging for the title.

ronjo wrote: »
    I think we are scarily and awfully short at Centre Half.
    Other than Koscielny nobody is remotely good enough for a team challenging for the title.

http://www.oohtobeagooner.com/clear-evidence-that-koscielny-is-just-not-good-enough-for-arsenal/

You have to give young CB's time unless you think we can sign Hummels.

Calling time on Gab or Chambers is more rediculous than the above.

Any 22 year old CB coming to UK will go through a spell of adjustment.

You're calling time on Gab and Chambers way to early.

The same rationale said Kos wouldn't make it and would say the same about Umtiti.

All IMHO of course

Of course he's not going to waltz In and be the new Kompany but he Is already an excellent defender and will only get better, he has his head screwed on tight and although I haven't watched every Lyon game this season infact I probably haven't watched halve of them, I've never seen him make a bad judgement call and that's our guys biggest problems.

I'm calling time on Gab, not on Chambers but I don't see your point, you can't paint 3 completely different players with the same brush and I never had a bad word to say about Kos from day 1 so It really Is irrelevant to our discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

http://www.oohtobeagooner.com/clear-evidence-that-koscielny-is-just-not-good-enough-for-arsenal/

You have to give young CB's time unless you think we can sign Hummels.

Calling time on Gab or Chambers is more rediculous than the above.

I am normally one to defend Arsenal and Wenger but its been so long since we have felt defensively solid.
    Chambers are Mert are too slow and thats not going to change. Gabriel might improve and actually did well against Lukaku the last day but we give away far too many simple goals that organised defending should be able to sort out if the players were good enough.

ronjo wrote: »
    I am normally one to defend Arsenal and Wenger but its been so long since we have felt defensively solid.
    Chambers are Mert are too slow and thats not going to change. Gabriel might improve and actually did well against Lukaku the last day but we give away far too many simple goals that organised defending should be able to sort out if the players were good enough.

I'm actually not being funny but that's been going on for 20 years.

Wenger doesn't do good defending. It's not about personell, it's about approach.

Of course he's not going to waltz In and be the new Kompany but he Is already an excellent defender and will only get better, he has his head screwed on tight and although I haven't watched every Lyon game this season infact I probably haven't watched halve of them, I've never seen him make a bad judgement call and that's our guys biggest problems.

I'm calling time on Gab, not on Chambers but I don't see your point, you can't paint 3 completely different players with the same brush and I never had a bad word to say about Kos from day 1 so It really Is irrelevant to our discussion.

Kos missed 0 tackles in his final year in Ligue 1. Basically every time he went for the ball he got it ... for a year. Fast forward 12 months and he's not good enough for Arsenal.

My point is that Gab is in a very typical period of adjustment. We made a decision to bring him in so you have to give him the chance to get through. Calling time on him now means calling time on the next person in a year and so on and so forth.

Give him the chance that everyone needs, that's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement

Kos missed 0 tackles in his final year in Ligue 1. Basically every time he went for the ball he got it ... for a year. Fast forward 12 months and he's not good enough for Arsenal.

My point is that Gab is in a very typical period of adjustment. We made a decision to bring him in so you have to give him the chance to get through. Calling time on him now means calling time on the next person in a year and so on and so forth.

Give him the chance that everyone needs, that's all I'm saying.

Why do you keep bringing up Kos? I've never once said Kos Isn't good enough for Arsenal, I'm a very big fan of Kos.

As for Gab he has no discipline, his awareness and positioning are poor and although he may improve, doing It at the expense of conceding goals and red cards for a club who are supposedly trying to win the PL and CL each year Is not the place to be doing It.

We need to spend money on finished articles or genuinely promising players who won't need a full year or two before we start seeing results...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

emmetlego wrote: »
    And a new manager... :-)

Seriously though, if Wenger was to do the most un-Wengerish thing ever, and bring in all the players we need (striker, CMF X 2, RMF and CB) would we be happy for him to have one more year? I certainly would, but I think the likelyhood of all them arriving is 5%!!!

Also, Danny Welbeck had an ice pack on his knee (the injured one) after England's first game apparently, any news on that? He's been in great form for us of late, we need him fully fit!

**EDIT** We'll need at least 2 x MF's with Arteta and Flamster going and Tomas finished too...

Happy with Wenger for one more year - a big fat NO!! He's had his "one more year" the last couple of seasons with the current one being an unmitigated disaster considering the league was up for grabs to any half decent team. For me this current season was his last chance. He won't change, he won't get us the players we need, he won't change his tactics, stiffer competition is coming next year and can anyone say hand on heart that we have a chance under this manager? I can't.

Why do you keep bringing up Kos? I've never once said Kos Isn't good enough for Arsenal, I'm a very big fan of Kos.

As for Gab he has no discipline, his awareness and positioning are poor and although he may improve, doing It at the expense of conceding goals and red cards for a club who are supposedly trying to win the PL and CL each year Is not the place to be doing It.

We need to spend money on finished articles or genuinely promising players who won't need a full year or two before we start seeing results...

I think he's a good example of a defender that took time to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Flashscore reckons he got one. Sorry for being negative. :pac:

He got one, a peno. Which he converted like a champ. It was the 4:0 though, not sure he would have been quite so cool about it if it was for the win. But he wouldn't have taken it then I suppose.

Anyway, he was really really good against Italy. Mesut actually had an attempt from distance :eek: In fact Germany was really really good that night although Italy certainly wasn't. Didn't see the England game. Oezil was gliding around pulling the strings with Kroos. Kroos would be some player to get <swoon>.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Anyone know where I can get the "Cech 33" goalkeeper jersey/kit for a kid? There's no goalkeeper jersey available on Arsenal.com and my neighbour's kid wants one for his birthday and the poor old sods don't want to disappoint him. It's partially my fault he like Arsenal, so I feel guilty!
    Bump... Really need help here lads. I can't find one anywhere on any of the usual sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bump... Really need help here lads. I can't find one anywhere on any of the usual sites.

What about emailing the Arsenal merchandise dept directly and explaining the situation? I'm sure they could help out or at least give some useful advice on where to get one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I was in the Arsenal shop last week and they had very little kid stock - said that at this time of year the stock is almost gone for kids. Not one kids away shirt on sale when I was there

Thanks people... Might see can I get a cheap knock off somewhere so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thanks people... Might see can I get a cheap knock off somewhere so!

https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/2012-13-arsenal-gk-home-shirt-bnib-boys.html

Just an option, but you could buy an older one and get the number put on yourself? I know the one I attached isnt the current shirt. Depends on whether this chisler will know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What about a small adult size?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B011QHP2IA/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41yCJ+NxXnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL115_SR115,115_&refRID=0JHCNV3H2TPAYRQPR81F&th=1&psc=1

Roddy23 wrote: »

Thanks Roddy, I'll have to look at sizes before I make a decision on that.

Appreciate the help boardies!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wilshere back in full training.
    Might figure in Friday's U.21 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Rumblings that Ozil has verbally agreed to a long term contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Seems happy where he is which is great, I'd be gutted to see him go to somewhere like Bayern.

Roddy23 wrote: »

Thanks everyone, but his dad has convinced him to wait until the summer for the new jersey, and that some Arsenal training kit will suffice meantime!

Good news about Jack and Ozil if true, but Santi is another month away too, he won't be back before next season IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Great if true but I can't see him staying past next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I see Eboue had his contract terminated by Sunderland, he's been banned for a year for failing to pay his agent or some such nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wonga77 wrote: »
    I see Eboue had his contract terminated by Sunderland, he's been banned for a year for failing to pay his agent or some such nonsense

The fine is £31,000 and the ban is lifted as soon as it's paid. If Sunderland cancelled his contract then it's a serious cop out by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Saw that earlier. Why the hell are FIFA involved in him not paying his agent? Should that not be between his & the agents lawyers? And then courts and that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Quazzie wrote: »
    The fine is £31,000 and the ban is lifted as soon as it's paid. If Sunderland cancelled his contract then it's a serious cop out by them.

I suppose they've had enough controversy up there for one year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Wait, Eboue was at Sunderland???

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Saw that earlier. Why the hell are FIFA involved in him not paying his agent? Should that not be between his & the agents lawyers? And then courts and that?

You know FIFA, all about transparency and honesty...

RIP Rocky. 15th anniversary of a gifted midfielder. Gone too soon

Ce3-NBQWAAEb8nI.jpg

These international breaks sicken my sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Big weekend. Leicester and spurs with tough games. Ive mostly given up hope but this weekend is really finally the last last chance to get back into it

wonga77 wrote: »
    These international breaks sicken my sh1te

This has been one of the worst in a while, load of bollocks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm actually not being funny but that's been going on for 20 years.

Wenger doesn't do good defending. It's not about personell, it's about approach.
    Pretty much.

Gabriel looks like he has the raw tools to become a quality defender for us, but whether he'll get the necessary coaching to do so, and how many points he'll cost us in the meantime, are the questions.

As for Chambers, I think he's quality. He's done well at CB when called upon this season, moreso than Gabriel. He's young, so he won't be perfect, but there's a lot to like about him. As for him lacking pace... eh, what? He plays at full-back for us regularly and is grand. At any rate, the list of great CBs lacking pace is a long one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chambers lacks full back pace, Mertesacker lacks Sunday league footballer pace, there's a big difference. Not saying he's better but he won't be exposed for pace at cb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Of course Wilshere comes back to full training on April Fools Day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Of course Wilshere comes back to full training on April Fools Day. :pac:

6 weeks after Wenger gave him the "3-4 weeks away" curse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delighted Premier League football is back!

Ive been dabbling in a bit of illustrator the last day or two guys. Said id share one of my early efforts with you.

More to come please god. May take me a while to get the hang of the bruised banana shirt from 1992 :)

Home 1988-90 (Title winning home from 1989). The away (1988 - 1991) Seen two title wins, one of which goes down in eternal infamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ive been dabbling in a bit of illustrator the last day or two guys. Said id share one of my early efforts with you.

More to come please god. May take me a while to get the hang of the bruised banana shirt from 1992 :)

Home 1988-90 (Title winning home from 1989). The away (1988 - 1991) Seen two title wins, one of which goes down in eternal infamy.

Link didn't work I'm afraid

L'prof wrote: »
    Link didn't work I'm afraid

Thanks. Worked on desktop but for some reason not on mobile version via chrome for me. I'll fix later

Hopefully link will work now :)

382046.jpg

Last chance really for a proper slip-up by the rest this weekend.

Good goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Sanchez!!
    Great ball Iwobi

• Advertisement

Good man Sanchez. Quality start by everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement