Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I actually haven't given up hope.

I win on Saturday and I think it's still possible given the chance that Leicester still might find it hard to close it out. It's a very long shot but a better chance than the last number of seasons. If any fans know anything about slipping up it's us. It all boils down to beating West Ham on Saturday though.

By the time we play Man City we could be as little as 3 pts behind

love the optimism, but I felt their win over Southampton just left us with too much to do. (If I wanted to be negative I'd say the defeats at home to Swansea, the equally abysmal performance at Old Trafford meant that we put it out of our own reach)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Cause nobody could see that coming and nobody could have done anything to prevent it...

Of course. But that's a slightly different point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    Of course. But that's a slightly different point.

Granted, but It all boils down to Wenger and that's the point he's trying to make I believe.

Granted, but It all boils down to Wenger and that's the point he's trying to make I believe.

Grand. Can we avoid incorrect posts about selection policy then and just say Wenger's not good enough.

Grand. Can we avoid incorrect posts about selection policy then and just say Wenger's not good enough.

We definitely can but then you'd have nothing to moan about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

greendom wrote: »
    I still think he had a remarkable record over the last 10 years since last winning the league, and this is the first season where it looks like he isn't going to meet expectations.

I would 100% disgree with all of what you say there.

We definitely can but then you'd have nothing to moan about.

Chill out on the agression please. I was just disagreeing with a point someone else made.

I would 100% disgree with all of what you say there.

That's undoubtedly true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

For the sake of the thread lads, can you just agree to disagree? It's quite tiresome.

I have defended Wenger for years, but I've stopped now. It was now or never for me at Xmas time. He and his team have failed terribly, and probably the worst of this team's years in the last decade.

I personally don't want Arsene any more, but I'll pay him the respect he deserves and allow him to leave when he sees fit. We owe him that much!

I said earlier on this thread, that IF he goes and does a most un-Arsene thing this summer and buys a WC striker, right winger, and strengthens CMF and CH, then I'd like to see him give it a go. But we all know, he won't go and spend that cash. He won't un-Arsene himself. That makes me sad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think things will remain more or less the same.

Wenger will stay for years yet and buy the odd big player but we will remain as we are i.e. hanging around close to the top but not winning. That is not good.

• Advertisement

Just curious. And I'm not stirring it here... But where would we be without the stadium and the extra capacity?

Please don't answer with "Highbury" :-) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

emmetlego wrote: »
    Just curious. And I'm not stirring it here... But where would we be without the stadium and the extra capacity?

Under "oil" ownership and building a new stadium for free.

Where Spurs are. About to build and move into one. We would have won more in the intervening period though. And TV money is so high now that the expected advantage of higher attendances is not as big as it was when the stadium was built

For the sake of the thread lads, can you just agree to disagree? It's quite tiresome.

I have defended Wenger for years, but I've stopped now. It was now or never for me at Xmas time. He and his team have failed terribly, and probably the worst of this team's years in the last decade.

I personally don't want Arsene any more, but I'll pay him the respect he deserves and allow him to leave when he sees fit. We owe him that much!

I said earlier on this thread, that IF he goes and does a most un-Arsene thing this summer and buys a WC striker, right winger, and strengthens CMF and CH, then I'd like to see him give it a go. But we all know, he won't go and spend that cash. He won't un-Arsene himself. That makes me sad!

I agree with this.

Basically I'd like someone better than Wenger but not just not-Wenger.

I wouldn't go as far with the necessary purchases.

I think we need another good goalscorer. Preferably a striker abut a really good winger would be Ok. Then we need a backup to Coq. It seems Elneny and Caz both work well with that style of player but Coq is the only person who can do that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

We would have won the CL already

We would have won the CL already

How do you figure that?

How do you figure that?

ya get me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

wonga77 wrote: »

^ WCW
    more like wrestling to me :L :L :L i kid..

ya get me

I'm lost. Can you please explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm lost. Can you please explain?

Wouldn't bother if I were you emmet!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother if I were you emmet!

Now I'm really lost. Did I miss something?

Now I'm really lost. Did I miss something?

I think he means that Johnny will have to wait till he reads something somewhere else that someone else said then he might copy and paste in here to answer you.

OK... I've just read through some of the older posts of his. I'm a little slow on the uptake! A bit like how I've been with Wenger, a bit slow to see the failure!

Loving Tim Stillman's latest post on Arseblog too...

Then we need a backup to Coq. .

why do we need a backup for Coq..

Coq got injured we were fourth place, looked like we were not going to qualify from our CL group, and had been dumped out of the league Cup.

While Coq was out and just before he returned to the team , we were top of league, had achieved a miracle getting out of the group, were on a decent FA Cup run.. we were sitting pretty

Coq came straight back into the team , our league form collapses , we are out of the FA Cup and CL we were embarrassed.

why did he come straight back into the team. see my earlier post on Wenger selection policy.. hes french of course.
    dem de facts ...

Eleny is looking good and in fairness Iwobi is looking like he has some ability, I admit my first thoguhts were he was another Ox., Iwobi reminds me of few fringe players who were on Arsenals books who got a run showed some promise and then were cast aside so Wenger could go back to his regulars. Wenger seems to be sticking with Iwobi and giving him a right chance, probably has no choice.

Coq got injured we were fourth place, looked like we were not going to qualify from our CL group, and had been dumped out of the league Cup.

While Coq was out and just before he returned to the team , we were top of league, had achieved a miracle getting out of the group, were on a decent FA Cup run.. we were sitting pretty

Coq came straight back into the team , our league form collapses , we are out of the FA Cup and CL we were embarrassed.

why did he come straight back into the team. see my earlier post on Wenger selection policy.. hes french of course.
    dem de facts ...

Eleny is looking good and in fairness Iwobi looks good too, Iwobe reminds me of few fringe players who were on Arsenals books who got a run showed some promise and then were cast aside so Wenger could go back to his regulars. Wenger seems to be sticking with Iwobi and giving him a right chance, probably has no choice.

Coquelin's poor form was coupled with Cazorla's absence. The 2 worked really well together.

Likewise he seems to be developing a really good understanding with Eleny too, from what I can see.

Tomorrow will be a big test for the pair. I'm confident they will see it through.

Coquelin's poor form was coupled with Cazorla's absence. The 2 worked really well together.

Likewise he seems to be developing a really good understanding with Eleny too, from what I can see.

Tomorrow will be a big test for the pair. I'm confident they will see it through.
    that makes no sense ..

Carzola is still out and as I said while both Coq and Carzola were out and just before Coq returned to the team , we were top of league, had achieved a miracle getting out of the group, were on a decent FA Cup run.. we were sitting pretty

Coq came back in , still no Carzola and we have collapsed.

Wenger tinkered with the team that was sitting top of the league , thru in CL and looking comfortable in the FACup, all to accomodate Coq. Check the team sheets around those periods when season was looking great and when we started to fall away .

that makes no sense ..

Carzola is still out and as I said while both Coq and Carzola were out and just before Coq returned to the team , we were top of league, had achieved a miracle getting out of the group, were on a decent FA Cup run.. we were sitting pretty

Wenger tinkered with the team that was sitting top of the league , thru in CL and looking comfortable in the FACup, all to accomodate Coq. Check the team sheets around those periods when season was looking great and when we started to fall away .

Where did you mention Cazorla ?

Coquelin plays well in partnership with Cazorla. He seems to be playing well with Eleny - where does that not make sense ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well lads...need some advice on a Fantasy Football conundrum.

Do ye see Iwobi getting much game time over the next 3-4 games or is he at risk when/if Ramsey returns?

Cheers cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

that makes no sense ..

People are overlooking the one reason our form dropped. Ramsey.

When coq played with santi he was brilliant, as soon as Ramsey comes in coq's form drops and we go on a bad run.

Once Ramsey gets injured and coq plays with a proper midfielder like Elneny his form picks up and our midfield looks solid again.

This whole Ramsey's best position in the centre is a myth.

We scraped a few wins with flamini and Ramsey but it went downhill rapidly even when coq came back.

Cartman78 wrote: »

Do ye see Iwobi getting much game time over the next 3-4 games or is he at risk when/if Ramsey returns?

Cheers cm

I think he'd be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cartman78 wrote: »

Cheers cm

As I said in the FF forum, he's in great form, exactly the kind of player we need, and is clicking with Sanchez and Ozil.

So expect him to be back on the bench so Ramsey can be played out of position as soon as he's fit.

keano_afc wrote: »
    As I said in the FF forum, he's in great form, exactly the kind of player we need, and is clicking with Sanchez and Ozil.

So expect him to be back on the bench so Ramsey can be played out of position as soon as he's fit.

It would almost be funny, if it wasn't a real possibility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Will be very annoyed if Ramsey just walks back into the starting 11 and Iwobi is the one to make way. He should have to earn his place back.

• Advertisement

Am I correct in saying Gnabry was recalled in January? Where has he been the past few months?

Iwobi is up for contract renewal hence him getting game time. Expect a new contract signed then for him to be fūcked back into the U21s.

Whatever happens to Campbell. Our best player for a while but Wenger had other ideas.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Iwobi is up for contract renewal hence him getting game time. Expect a new contract signed then for him to be fūcked back into the U21s.

Whatever happens to Campbell. Our best player for a while but Wenger had other ideas.

I'll be gutted in Campbell gets sold. He has firmly earned his place in our side, rarely gives the ball away and when he does he doesn't pull the headless chicken act like Alexis, he gets back very well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

JustTheOne wrote: »
    People are overlooking the one reason our form dropped. Ramsey.

When coq played with santi he was brilliant, as soon as Ramsey comes in coq's form drops and we go on a bad run.

Once Ramsey gets injured and coq plays with a proper midfielder like Elneny his form picks up and our midfield looks solid again.

This whole Ramsey's best position in the centre is a myth.

We scraped a few wins with flamini and Ramsey but it went downhill rapidly even when coq came back.
    It's not a myth, it is his best position.

Ramsey and Coquelin don't seem to work well as a pairing though.

Ramsey and Arteta was our best CM pairing in recent years.

It's not a myth, it is his best position.

Ramsey and Coquelin don't seem to work well as a pairing though.

Ramsey and Arteta was our best CM pairing in recent years.

I agree CM Is his best position. I do feel though that he's not really suited to our play style recently and with his finishing being abysmal recently he really Is more of a liability than an asset.

We either need to find a pairing that works with him In the team or he needs to change his play style or find the amazing form he had a few years ago. Either way right now he wouldn't be In my starting XI

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nor mine. I think with the right partner he could be terrific, but it doesn't look like we have anyone suitable at the moment. Maybe Elneny might be suitable, or one of the lads we've been linked to recently.

He's by no means the perfect CM but finding a way to get the best out of him is worth persevering with. A midfielder breaking from deep who can score goals is so valuable in the modern game, particularly with the way we play.

Personally, I'd like to see Ramsey as one of a midfield trio behind Ozil.

Quazzie wrote: »

he's a hard worker with a good attitude and shows occasional flourishes, but best player ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

AM/behind the striker is Ramsey's best position, it frees him up to make those attacking runs without as much defensive responsibility, and he can afford to lose possession more there too.

There is a German-shaped problem there though.

AM/behind the striker is Ramsey's best position, it frees him up to make those attacking runs without as much defensive responsibility, and he can afford to lose possession more there too.

There is a German-shaped problem there though.

And Cazorla and I'd even prefer Rosicky there. God I miss Rosicky :(

He's back for the 21's this evening as is Ramsey... We really missed him this year! Rosicky is a legend!

He's back for the 21's this evening as is Ramsey... We really missed him this year! Rosicky is a legend!

Yeah I saw that, Wilshere Is playing as well, unfortunately as good as Rosicky Is he won't see play time over Ozil or Carzola. He's too far gone now and had too many injuries It would take a long time for him to get to his best If he even can but even at that Ozil and Caz are far superior In most aspects.

I wish he would go to a different club or go out on loan just so he could actually play some games before he retires.

How do you figure that?

We would not have to sell our best players each year to help fund the stadium or be constraint on buying new players had we stayed at highbury

dem de facts ...

Eleny is looking good and in fairness Iwobi is looking like he has some ability, I admit my first thoguhts were he was another Ox., Iwobi reminds me of few fringe players who were on Arsenals books who got a run showed some promise and then were cast aside so Wenger could go back to his regulars. Wenger seems to be sticking with Iwobi and giving him a right chance, probably has no choice.

Are you saying Flamini is better??

He's also French though so that makes no sense.

he's a hard worker with a good attitude and shows occasional flourishes, but best player ?

In terms of form at the time, he definitely was. 100% head and shoulders above most others during that period.

Good to see Jack and Tomas back playing for the 21's right now on Arsenal player. Bielek just scored a shocking OG!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement