Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Gunnersaurus probably has better stats than Walcott to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    I think Rambo or Coq has to get dropped today. Probably Rambo.

I know he's not at fault for everything but it's simply not working with him and Coq and he's probably due a rest.

On the other hand Campbell must start.

Taken from Arseblog after Swans game...

63 – Minutes played by Joel Campbell
    131 – Minutes played by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (Swans, ManU, Barca)
    56 – Touches by Joel Campbell today
    34 – Touches by Walcott in the last three matches
    33 – Passes by Joel Campbell today
    21 – Passes by Theo Walcott in the last three matches
    18 – Passes by Joel Campbell in the Swansea final third today…
    4 – Successful dribbles by Joel Campbell today (of 5, led all players)
    0 – Successful dribbles by Theo Walcott in the last three matches
    3 – Shots by Joel Campbell today
    1 – Shots by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (today was his first shot since Hull)
    2 – Chances created by Joel Campbell today
    1 – Chances created by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (also today)
    1 – Goal scored by Joel Campbell today
    0 – Goals scored by Theo Walcott in the last three games

Ospina
    Bellerin - Mert - Gab - Monreal
    Coq - Elneny
    Campbell - Ozil - Sanchez
    Welbeck

Walcott offers absolutely nothing to this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I would love to see Arsenal just shut up shop. Put Coq & Elneny (or, even, Flamini) in the centre and Ramsey out right - just don't allow Spurs to break or get up a head of steam and just break them up and get it to Mesut.

I accept it's tough on Joel, but Ramsey will do what Ox was doing well against Barca, until he got broken, dropping inside to bolster the centre while still offering something on that wing. However, I suspect Ramsey will be played in the centre again and Joel out right.

I think at this point the team just have to not get beaten but a front three of Sanchez, Ozil and Giroud is enough to get goals against Spurs, even if Sanchez and Giroud are in the middle of bad runs. Would have absolutely no problem with Welbeck starting either - he's been very good since his return.

Arsenal to win by 7.

Or Spurs to win by 5.

Or a draw.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It'll be a no to what?

Do you have any evidence of anything to do with the deal at all?

The Higuain thing is the biggest waste of time going on about. Just imagine if he was knocking in all those chances from Ozil......except for the small issue that if we had signed Higuain, we wouldn't have signed Ozil.

Anyway....

In the last 8 seasons our net spend has been 74 million. Are you trying to tell me the money wasn't there to get both of these players? Sure the year Ozil signed in the 13/14 season our net spend was -4 million for the previous 5 seasons. Bollocks to that, the money was there to sign both. It seems okay for our fans to overspend on following the club but the club wont overspend to try bring in success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sacksian wrote: »
    I would love to see Arsenal just shut up shop. Put Coq & Elneny (or, even, Flamini) in the centre and Ramsey out right - just don't allow Spurs to break or get up a head of steam and just break them up and get it to Mesut.

I accept it's tough on Joel, but Ramsey will do what Ox was doing well against Barca, until he got broken, dropping inside to bolster the centre while still offering something on that wing. However, I suspect Ramsey will be played in the centre again and Joel out right.

I think at this point the team just have to not get beaten but a front three of Sanchez, Ozil and Giroud is enough to get goals against Spurs, even if Sanchez and Giroud are in the middle of bad runs. Would have absolutely no problem with Welbeck starting either - he's been very good since his return.

Arsenal to win by 7.

Or Spurs to win by 5.

Or a draw.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Shut up shop with a very defensive midfield and nick a goal.

We can't continue with the failing plan from te last few games.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    In the last 8 seasons our net spend has been 74 million. Are you trying to tell me the money wasn't there to get both of these players? Sure the year Ozil signed in the 13/14 season our net spend was -4 million for the previous 5 seasons. Bollocks to that, the money was there to sign both. It seems okay for our fans to overspend on following the club but the club wont overspend to try bring in success.

I simply do not believe arsenal would spend £75m+ on two players in one window. That is all.

I simply do not believe arsenal would spend £75m+ on two players in one window. That is all.

Arsenal or Arsene?

Arsenal or Arsene?

Read my post again if it confuses you.

Was Arsenal spending the equivalent of that kind of money on a couple of players before Arsene showed up? Genuine question.

Read my post again if it confuses you.

Was Arsenal spending the equivalent of that kind of money on a couple of players before Arsene showed up? Genuine question.

You hardly think we were in the same financial position back then than we are now do you? Before Wenger arrived every season we spent more than what we got in. Wengers philosophy before we moved to the stadium was spot on. He continued that trend of spending more than what we brought in up to the move to the Emirates. Its at this point is where he became obsessed with balancing the books to the detriment of the club and team.

• Advertisement

You hardly think we were in the same financial position back then than we are now do you? Before Wenger arrived every season we spent more than what we got in. Wengers philosophy before we moved to the stadium was spot on. He continued that trend of spending more than what we brought in up to the move to the Emirates. Its at this point is where he became obsessed with balancing the books to the detriment of the club and team.

It's partly because of Wenger that we have the finances we do now.

My point is simply that I do not believe that any club will smash their transfer record 2-3x over on two separate players in one window.

Not that any of this even matters today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    I think Rambo or Coq has to get dropped today. Probably Rambo.

I know he's not at fault for everything but it's simply not working with him and Coq and he's probably due a rest.

On the other hand Campbell must start.

Taken from Arseblog after Swans game...

63 – Minutes played by Joel Campbell
    131 – Minutes played by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (Swans, ManU, Barca)
    56 – Touches by Joel Campbell today
    34 – Touches by Walcott in the last three matches
    33 – Passes by Joel Campbell today
    21 – Passes by Theo Walcott in the last three matches
    18 – Passes by Joel Campbell in the Swansea final third today…
    4 – Successful dribbles by Joel Campbell today (of 5, led all players)
    0 – Successful dribbles by Theo Walcott in the last three matches
    3 – Shots by Joel Campbell today
    1 – Shots by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (today was his first shot since Hull)
    2 – Chances created by Joel Campbell today
    1 – Chances created by Theo Walcott in the last three matches (also today)
    1 – Goal scored by Joel Campbell today
    0 – Goals scored by Theo Walcott in the last three games

Ospina
    Bellerin - Mert - Gab - Monreal
    Coq - Ramsey
    Campbell - Ozil - Sanchez
    -Giroud[/QUOTE]

Fyp. That will be the team i'd say.

Interesting comments from ex-Arsenal defender Lauren --

Former Arsenal defender Lauren has been talking to the BBC World Football Show about his former side's title bid. He says...

That Arsenal lack a “strong, winning mentality in that dressing room”.
    If he was working with Arsene Wenger, he would have “turned the dressing room upside down” in frustration.
    That strikers used to be scared of the old Arsenal defence... and says they would have kicked Manchester United's Marcus Rashford out of the game in the first five minutes

We do lack a bit of steel in our team now.
    Our defence is shyte as i've been saying for ages.
    Can't understand what is going on with them or what Bould and Wenger are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

This close to a NLD, I'm am normally bricking it. It breaks my heart to say the only feeling at the moment is indifference

Eleny and Coq midfield...Ramsey on the right! Welbeck up front.

Surprised, but looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

One thing that has to be said is a lot of the Spurs support are doing a lot of talking already.

There's a long way to go and you'd think they would have learnt from their past, particularly when it comes to finishing behind us.

I see Elneny starts. Campbell on the bench. Defensive approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Nacho on the bench with Gibbs starting really not understanding that decision! Otherwise happy to see Elneny start.

Gibbs, Christ! Is Monreal injured??

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

That team is... interesting.

Gibbs??? Other then that its not too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That's a bizzare selection

Wenger seems determined not to lose this. Draw no good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The lineup smakes of something has to change it looks a bit panicky to me

I'm not that concerned about Gibbs. Despite the general attitude to him around here, I think he has been solid every time he has played the last few months, except for on one occasion.

No doubt, he'll be up for it.

I'm not that concerned about Gibbs. Despite the general attitude to him around here, I think he has been solid every time he has played the last few months, except for on one occasion.

You should take a PR job up for the club

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

What must campbell be thinking? Joke he's not playing after his performance the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Interesting selection by Wenger, would have liked Campbell to start though. Hopefully he's gotten this one right but I can't see past a spurs win unfortunately. This team doesn't have the balls to win a game like today's.

I fancy Watford to take points off Leicester today.

kellso81 wrote: »
    What must campbell be thinking? Joke he's not playing after his performance the other night.

This is down to Arsene showing he is bigger than the fans starting him would have shown as weakness to some

Soups123 wrote: »

What's the pay like?

• Advertisement

:pac:

What's the pay like?

With Arsene you'll pay him

It's partly because of Wenger that we have the finances we do now.

My point is simply that I do not believe that any club will smash their transfer record 2-3x over on two separate players in one window.

Not that any of this even matters today.

I know it is fully down to Wenger the financial position we are in and I applaud him for that. But it is his reluctance to spend and strengthen key areas in our team that is why we find ourselves in the nearly men position in the league season after season. If we had of just splashed it on both players I am nearly 100% sure we would of being crowned league winners in 1 of the last 3 seasons. Higuain is a 30 goal a season striker, and we refused to pay around the 40 million mark for him, madness.

This is down to Arsene showing he is bigger than the fans starting him would have shown as weakness to some

All about egos now it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What's the pay like?

£40,000,001 a year!

Ian Wright had it in the money this morning. He said Arsene Wenger still wants to win the problem is losing doesn't bother him as much as it used too

That's a fair point and it's a consequence of the stadium years he learnt to tolerate it more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We don't know how to play for draws.

It's not in Wenger's teams never was.

This won't end well. Noone will know what each is at.

Should have just went all out.

I suppose Gibbs has a lot of NLD experience. He'll probably score the winner......(for us, just to be clear!)

Plenty of other players starting today should be benched way before Nacho. One of our best players all season. Crazy decision. Has to be injured but then again why would he be on the bench if that was the case :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spurs overran us in the first half at The Emirates, I like this selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Slight calf problem for Nacho it seems.

Plenty of other players starting today should be benched way before Nacho. One of our best players all season. Crazy decision. Has to be injured but then again why would he be on the bench if that was the case :confused:

Monreal is bench able others are untouchable he hasn't got the ruthlessness needed to make s big call

The same players pay the price every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Radical changes had to be made and that's what's been done here. I'm happy with the selection. Campbell has been excellent but if you've watched him play, you'll know he doesn't have the fitness to go the full 90 mins with his style of play. He'll come on as a sub for sure and that's when he can be most effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I dont believe that for a second. Pure gossip

I presume Ramsey will play on the right to try give us a bit of control with Coq and Elneny in the middle

Drexel wrote: »
    I dont believe that for a second. Pure gossip

I presume Ramsey will play on the right to try give us a bit of control with Coq and Elneny in the middle

He was the only performer on Wednesday he deserved his place today and could have rode the confidence the crowd have given him

He was never starting today I said it on Thursday when talking to a pal

• Advertisement

Gibbs to prove me wrong and score a hat trick in a motm performance......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

He was never starting today I said it on Thursday when talking to a pal

He prob wasnt, but to make a decision like that just to spite the fans is a leap.

Other than Gibbs Im happy enough with the team. Hopefully with the 3 CM we will be able to keep hold of the ball a bit better. We have been brutal against anyone with a high press since Cazorla has been out. Hopefully this will help. I havent seen much of Elneny tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Wow I'm nervous for this, this game is absolutely huge!! C'mon the Gunners!!!

Drexel wrote: »
    He prob wasnt, but to make a decision like that just to spite the fans is a leap.

Other than Gibbs Im happy enough with the team. Hopefully with the 3 CM we will be able to keep hold of the ball a bit better. We have been brutal against anyone with a high press since Cazorla has been out. Hopefully this will help. I havent seen much of Elneny tho

It's not unusual for this to happen in football, a manager trying to show regardless of anything he is in charge.

The booing of the substitution was fierce and Wenger had to make his stance, for me it's the wrong one we need the players with confidence in the pitch right now

Off to make tae and enjoy the game.

Team selection at least shows change, I'm worried about the new lad in the middle I just don't think he is ready for this.

Other than that we are capable I'd love them to be the better team and us to win for a change

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement