Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We won't finish 3rd, and positions 4-6 are interchangeable for me at this point. They're all easily avoidable failures. Sad thing is, I have a feeling that if we were to finish 3rd (can't see us beating City), the board would give Wenger a new contract.

Won't finish 3rd??? Do you realise who our remaining games are against. Only game I'm worried about is City away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Was at a wedding up north yesterday so missed the game. Just caught the highlights on arsenalist.

If ever a game summed up Arsenal, this was it. Strong start, brain fart to concede a goal, and then kick ourselves in the foot. I'm just surprised we got something from the game. Title was gone before yesterday, but that should at least stop the dreamers from thinking we have a chance.

Just one more infuriating thing. I've coached teams, and the one thing I always do is set my teams up to counter the opposition's best strengths. Yesterday we did NOTHING to deal with Carroll. We made a battering ram look like Ronaldo. What happened to coaching? I've been vocal about wanting Wenger gone for a long time, but yesterday he proved yet again that he can't set a team up anymore. When he saw the West Ham team sheet did he take the back four aside and give them instructions? Did he consider Mertesacker? Why didn't he tell his full backs not to stand off Cresswell and Antonio? Why didn't he tell Sanchez and Iwobi to double up when not in possession? Why didn't he tell his CBs to get touch tight on Carroll when the ball was wide, and not to give him a run? This is basic when dealing with a guy who is very good in the air, and its not.like he hasn't burned us before.

All in all, disappointing but totally predictable. Which pretty much sums up another season of mediocrity.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, Lord only knows how we're anywhere near them on the table. It was Arsenal's god even right to crush all before them and win the league this year. Disgraceful.

Are you high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

keano_afc wrote: »

Just one more infuriating thing. I've coached teams, and the one thing I always do is set my teams up to counter the opposition's best strengths. Yesterday we did NOTHING to deal with Carroll. We made a battering ram look like Ronaldo. What happened to coaching? I've been vocal about wanting Wenger gone for a long time, but yesterday he proved yet again that he can't set a team up anymore. When he saw the West Ham team sheet did he take the back four aside and give them instructions? Did he consider Mertesacker? Why didn't he tell his full backs not to stand off Cresswell and Antonio? Why didn't he tell Sanchez and Iwobi to double up when not in possession? Why didn't he tell his CBs to get touch tight on Carroll when the ball was wide, and not to give him a run? This is basic when dealing with a guy who is very good in the air, and its not.like he hasn't burned us before.

Sums us up perfectly. Was screaming at the tv when we were standing off Cresswell just before the first goal. He's probably one of the best crossers in the league and low and behold, he whipped in a superb cross. But it was all avoidable. Usual rubbish from Wenger then afterwards about being naive defensively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Lads just for Fantasy Prem purposes - you have a double gameweek next week - is Giroud likely to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

L'prof wrote: »
    Won't finish 3rd??? Do you realise who our remaining games are against. Only game I'm worried about is City away.

Exactly. That's why I don't see us finishing 3rd. On paper we have the easier run-in, but we're all over the place.

Are you high?

I wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Funny how last week people were arguing with me saying our defence Is fine and we don't need a CB. As for people saying Mert should have played well unfortunately Carroll would have bullied Mert all day. He may be tall but he's still poor at shutting down strikers. Especially In the air.

Funny how last week people were arguing with me saying our defence Is fine and we don't need a CB. As for people saying Mert should have played well unfortunately Carroll would have bullied Mert all day. He may be tall but he's still poor at shutting down strikers. Especially In the air.

No need to shut down, just having a lanky guy in there could well have stopped at least a goal. Never mind that he actually has a brain unlike Gabriel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

The reality of this season is we are only where we are due to the failures of other teams. We are SEVEN points worse off than the same stage last year. This team has been average for years and yet people STILL think the right man is in charge

L'prof wrote: »

Of the 5 games other than City we have 10/15 points. That would get us to 69 points which would leave City needing 12/18 to match us, United needing 16/21. Assuming we lose to City and repeat the easy wins against Villa, Sunderland and Palace.

wawaman wrote: »
    The reality of this season is we are only where we are due to the failures of other teams. We are SEVEN points worse off than the same stage last year. This team has been average for years and yet people STILL think the right man is in charge

That's fair enough, but I still find it interesting that the same squad with less injuries and a better keeper is worse this year. It's not as simple as #WengerOut.

That's fair enough, but I still find it interesting that the same squad with less injuries and a better keeper is worse this year. It's not as simple as #WengerOut.
    The players are tired from not being injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Can't help but be impressed by Leicester. If Arsenal were in this position i think they'd be camped in the 18 yard box desperately defending bombs being launched into the box.

Leicester making it look easy.

EDIT: 2-0 now, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wenger was right. You dont need to spend loads to win the league. Shame it was Leicester that proved him right.

Leicester's remaining fixtures are West Ham (H), Swansea (H), United (A), Everton (H), Chelsea (A). They'll do well to break 80 points. Pity the most we can hit is 77.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I can see Leicester winning the 3 home games. Nothing to say they cant get results at Old Trafford and the Bridge either

Wenger was right. You dont need to spend loads to win the league. Shame it was Leicester that proved him right.

He already proved it the invincibles season.

He already proved it the invincibles season.

Competing against one mega rich team. Leicester have done it against City, Chelsea, United and ourselves.

• Advertisement

12 years now and it's still all people have to hold on to.

Competing against one mega rich team. Leicester have done it against City, Chelsea, United and ourselves.

Doesn't make it untrue

As for the not spending much thing, Lehmann came in at the start of the season coming off poor form elsewhere. Reyes was signed during the season for £10.5, a ****in lot at the time. Other players who featured heavily were Pires (£6million in 2000), Lauren (£7.2million in 2000), Henry (£11million in 1999). Hell even Bergkamp had 21 apps (former club record signing).
    Along with those were Cole and Toure who came through the club and Ljungberg who was a steal.

The trouble is that it's not 12 years ago. It's 2016 and we haven't won the league in 12 years.

Those are the years the club have won the league, at the moment we're in the middle of our longest non-winning run in 27 years.

Leicester or Spurs are going to win the league. Seriously, just think about that.

The trouble is that it's not 12 years ago. It's 2016 and we haven't won the league in 12 years.

Those are the years the club have won the league, at the moment we're in the middle of our longest non-winning run in 27 years.

Leicester or Spurs are going to win the league. Seriously, just think about that.

I don't get that logic. This season is an outlier, a freak of nature. Will it be the same again next year? Not a chance.

The thing is that Arsenal are the team that seem to be getting the most grief this year, when they are the least under-performing of all the big clubs. I find that bizarre.

I don't get that logic. This season is an outlier, a freak of nature. Will it be the same again next year? Not a chance.
    This season isn't an outlier for us. It's bang average.
    The thing is that Arsenal are the team that seem to be getting the most grief this year, when they are the least under-performing of all the big clubs. I find that bizarre.
    Chelsea's manager was shoved out, Pellegrini is going at the end of the year, Rodgers was sacked. LvG likely has a similar clause to Moyes meaning he can't be shoved out yet.
    Do you really not get it?

Chelsea's manager was shoved out, Pellegrini is going at the end of the year, Rodgers was sacked. LvG likely has a similar clause to Moyes meaning he can't be shoved out yet.

I fully understand the reasons why those managers were sacked. Relevance to Arsenal?

I fully understand the reasons why those managers were sacked. Relevance to Arsenal?
    Are you doing this on purpose? Look at what you said:
    Other than United the other clubs underperformed and took action. Liverpool got rid of Rodgers early, Chelsea got rid of Mourinho early and Pellegrini is gone at the end of the season. That's why Arsenal are getting so much flak. Chelsea actually have 3 points more than us in the 16 matches since Mourinho left.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Having Wenger stay on is a bigger handicap than the rest of them.

This season is a shambles. All started by his idiotic decision not to sign an outfield player in the summer. Kroneke's man Wenger.

Unfortunately we haven't had the courage and leadership to make up for our lack of spending. That said, the one man who did show leadership was Santi and his absence was badly badly felt.

The story of our fùckin life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

13 points behind the leaders Leicester at this stage of the season is a sackable offence in my opinion. Van Gaal at Utd has no excuses either.

We are as far away from winning the title as we've ever been and to cap it off a team who barely escaped relegation last season are going to win it and more than likely won't win it again for decades, if ever.

Yes the Leicester situation is a success story of epic proportions but arsenals is as epic for the wrong reasons. I'm really struggling to maintain any interest in our club anymore.

• Advertisement

Are you doing this on purpose? Look at what you said:

Other than United the other clubs underperformed and took action. Liverpool got rid of Rodgers early, Chelsea got rid of Mourinho early and Pellegrini is gone at the end of the season. That's why Arsenal are getting so much flak. Chelsea actually have 3 points more than us in the 16 matches since Mourinho left.

I don't understand how you can say that Arsenal being in with a shot at the title for most of the season is the same as what has happened at the other clubs you mention.

Funny you should mention Chelsea. A team that dominated the league last year, who have been 'turned around' by Hiddink, have only scored a couple of points more than us in a period where we have played very poorly. I wonder what the general attitude is with what he's achieved in his time at Chelsea, with the squad he has at his disposal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm at the stage where I'm just exasperated from talking about Arsenal. It's the same season repeated year after year after year. Everyone and his dog knows who the problem is at Arsenal... I mean Jesus Christ it's depressing. I was genuinely hoping West Ham would score another goal yesterday when they were 3-2 up if only for some faint hope that Wenger would just f-off. (I know, what a bad supporter right?) Sickens me to my core, and it will be the same every year until he leaves.

I wish some fans would stop pussyfooting around with "thanks for the memories Arsene" and wanting him to leave with some sort of dignity. He should be sacked, the level of ineptness is staggering...absolutely staggering. 2-0 up against West Ham and letting Andy f*cking Carroll score 3 against us in 10 minutes. Sackable offence... we've been utterly EMBARRASED for years by this man. The list of embarrassments is endless at this stage. Just f*ck off.

I don't understand how you can say that Arsenal being in with a shot at the title for most of the season is the same as what has happened at the other clubs you mention.

Funny you should mention Chelsea. A team that dominated the league last year, who have been 'turned around' by Hiddink, have only scored a couple of points more than us in a period where we have played very poorly. I wonder what the general attitude is with what he's achieved in his time at Chelsea, with the squad he has at his disposal?
    Hiddink came into a team in disarray that he had no part in putting together and has them on a decent run. Am I asking for Hiddink to take over? Of course not. But back to the original goalposts, you asked why other teams haven't taken as much flak. Most have or did and have acted to improve things. We haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Don't really agree with Ty when he goes on about Wenger but Claude shouldnt have interrupted him all the same.

Arsenal TV should be ashamed of themselves, both of these lads have various problems in their lives but they are being exploited by Robbie for publicity & revenue. :mad:

Ty lives local & walks around dressed in club gear all the time, locals say he has personal issues & doesn't work whilst Claude was reported to have had a breakdown a while back.

These guys are just being exploited by Arsenal TV & many Gooners won't watch this carcrash rubbish. :(

Hiddink came into a team in disarray that he had no part in putting together and has them on a decent run. Am I asking for Hiddink to take over? Of course not. But back to the original goalposts, you asked why other teams haven't taken as much flak. Most have or did and have acted to improve things. We haven't.

Why do you keep ignoring my point that arsenal have been near the top of the league all season? The reason the other managers were pushed out was because they were nowhere in the league. It's not rocket science, but if I keep repeating it, maybe you'll click.

Arsenal TV should be ashamed of themselves, both of these lads have various problems in their lives but they are being exploited by Robbie for publicity & revenue. :mad:

Ty lives local & walks around dressed in club gear all the time, locals say he has personal issues & doesn't work whilst Claude was reported to have had a breakdown a while back.

These guys are just being exploited by Arsenal TV & many Gooners won't watch this carcrash rubbish. :(

While I agree with you in some parts I'd be fairly sure that these two lads are picking up some sort of revenue from the channel too.

Why do you keep ignoring my point that arsenal have been near the top of the league all season? The reason the other managers were pushed out was because they were nowhere in the league. It's not rocket science, but if I keep repeating it, maybe you'll click.
    For the same reason I dismissed our winning of the calendar year title last year for the second time in 3 years. It matters not a ****ing jot.
    Will Wenger be ousted now after going out of the FA cup to Watford, out of the League Cup to Sheffield Wednesday, our traditional last 16 exit from the CL and now 4 wins in 12 in the league which is likely up there with our worst runs in the last 20 years? No, because calendar year titles and being near the top in February is enough for people like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yeah sure as long as we've been near the top all season then thats all that matters...
    Top four isnt good enough for me or the majority anymore. Im not saying we have any god given right to win the league but it was all set up for us this season and once more we sh1t the course.
    But as long as you have people who still think Wenger is still the best man for the job then we will forever be going round in circles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Lads- will Giroud come in for Welbeck?

• Advertisement

For the same reason I dismissed our winning of the calendar year title last year for the second time in 3 years. It matters not a ****ing jot.

Right, so their league position/performance had nothing to do with them getting sacked.

I can understand people wanting Wenger out for various reasons, and I'd have no problem with him going. My main problem is when people have to talk rubbish to make their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Will Wenger be ousted now after going out of the FA cup to Watford, out of the League Cup to Sheffield Wednesday, our traditional last 16 exit from the CL and now 4 wins in 12 in the league which is likely up there with our worst runs in the last 20 years? No, because calendar year titles and being near the top in February is enough for people like you.

Preach

No, because calendar year titles and being near the top in February is enough for people like you.

Ah, missed your edit. Unfortunately, you don't know what you're talking about.

See, I'm a kiwi. Where I come from, we have a rugby team that will accept nothing but winning every single time. A team that displays passion, pride, courage, heart, and almost any other quality displayed in team sport at a level far above any football team could dream of. So no, I don't just settle. I want Arsenal to win.

Unfortunately, you seem to think that amount of bitching and moaning you do equates to how much you want Arsenal to win. It doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

well said,
    Im surprised anyone could not accept the recent points you have raised , you have been 100% spot on .
    Ah well as you said some people will defend mediocrity and repeated failure.

They only way Arsenal would win the league is if say the referee never penalised us for offside and didnt award the opposition any stone wall glaring penalties in the last 15 mins of our important matches. :cool:

Right, so their league position/performance had nothing to do with them getting sacked.
    Sure
    I can understand people wanting Wenger out for various reasons, and I'd have no problem with him going. My main problem is when people have to talk rubbish to make their point.
    What have I said that's not accurate?
    Ah, missed your edit. Unfortunately, you don't know what you're talking about.

See, I'm a kiwi. Where I come from, we have a rugby team that will accept nothing but winning every single time. A team that displays passion, pride, courage, heart, and almost any other quality displayed in team sport at a level far above any football team could dream of. So no, I don't just settle. I want Arsenal to win.

Unfortunately, you seem to think that amount of bitching and moaning you do equates to how much you want Arsenal to win. It doesn't work like that.
    Being positive when there's nothing to be positive about ain't gonna cut it either.
    Wenger is the one constant over the last 12 years. How long would a Kiwi head coach get?

Will we even catch Spurs? Literally nothing for even the most positive fan to sing about this season.

• Advertisement

Sure
    What have I said that's not accurate?
    That league position/performance doesn't matter when sacking a manager. It's almost the only thing that matters, and Arsenal have not been a position remotely like what happened at Chelsea this year.
    Being positive when there's nothing to be positive about ain't gonna cut it either.
    Wenger is the one constant over the last 12 years. How long would a Kiwi head coach get?
    Fair point. Generally having the best players in the world at your disposal always helps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

omega man wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to maintain any interest in our club anymore.

Amen. I wish today was the last day of the season

That league position/performance doesn't matter when sacking a manager. It's almost the only thing that matters, and Arsenal have not been a position remotely like what happened at Chelsea this year
    And 3rd is all we can get. At least with United today we should be safe for 4th. League position matters, but it comes from form. There is no defending the way we went out of the 2 domestic cups. There is no defending the disgraceful start to the CL which left us once again facing a far superior Barcelona side in the last 16. This is now guaranteed to be the 8th straight season we fail to break 80 points. But hey, if we finish 3rd for the second season in a row then that's progress. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

back in December I said this and spurs were in 5th.
    btw thats another reason spurs worry me. they have te best GD in the Pl and only let in 15 goals in 19 matches.
    and as we gooners all know a good defense will win you leagues and a bad defense wont.
    Its amazing how Wenger can completely ignore the glaring holes in the squad year in year out.

He has become a poison at the club. He has contributed to turning Arsenal into a business that ignores the true fans and supporters of both football and the football club, all beacuse the profits and the bonuses for the suits continue to roll in.

Wengers legacy is destroyed, its been destroyed for many years, but if he had jumped ship a few years ago the history books woud be kinder and people would have let him off. But now its so apparent how poor a manger he has become, that the last 12 years will be seen as full block of consistent poor delivery and repeated failure to learn .

Another positive from yesterday , is its one match closer to Wenger departure.

I love the modern football games, it has really become a game whree a skillful, athletic physical player will be allowed to play and a modern manager can develop new tactics to win , Wengers never learned the modern game.

On fighting for second place... It doesn't matter. Second or third = automatic CL place and at this stage that's all we can hope for. Finishing above Sp**s means nothing, I'm sure they will have a DVD out "The year we finished a place above Arsenal". Who cares.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement