Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

emmetlego wrote: »
    So it's Wengers fault that Carroll played?? Maybe I'm not reading that right??

Nobody expected Carroll to play, especially the pre match analysis!

Well change your tactics once you find out he is even if it's as the players are walking out.

Or change the team sheet once you find out he is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

You prepare for all possibilites as much as you can. During the week you work on a plan for him starting and then on a plan if a more mobile forward starts. Wenger doesnt, he picks his 11 and hopes they are better than the opposition on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He's paid 7 million a year, he should be prepared for every eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

In an ideal world where Wenger and the board are happily to spend money, who should be bought?

Diego Simeone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Diego Simeone :D
    And brings Diego Costa with him (don't ask how)

I want to be the team everyone hates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

And brings Diego Costa with him (don't ask how)

I want to be the team everyone hates.

I want to be the team everyone loves to watch play again.

I want to be the team that wins the league :(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I don't believe that if Wenger was to be replaced we would start winning titles as a matter of course. I actually think we could say good bye to Champions league football every season. Be careful what you wish for.

I don't believe that if Wenger was to be replaced we would start winning titles as a matter of course. I actually think we could say good bye to Champions league football every season. Be careful what you wish for.

We get knocked out at the same stage of it every season anyway and usually embarrass ourselves somewhere along the way so what's there to miss really for us fans? The board would miss the money of course but there's not much for us to enjoy about it.

I think that's the dilemma for a lot of fans. Do you stick with the devil you know (finish in top 4 and go out in the last 16 of the CL) or change manager in the hope things are better ( but could be worse). Personally I've had enough of the way things are and am willing to take the risk of change in the hope we could win the league or get further in the CL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I want to be in love with Arsenal again. I'm still a supporter, always will be a supporter, but a very f*****g frustrated one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

At this stage I think it's time for Wenger to go but I don't trust the board to replace him with anyone remotely close to being adequate so I'm very torn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I actually think Wenger could win the league again but it would require a constant team with very few injuries. So that's pretty unlikely.

There's a thing about his jazz football, the off the cuff approach that he takes. Relationships between players are huge and given they all play to their skillset rather than the demands of the position, injured player means new skill set means different way of playing.

We've had to reinvent ourselves constantly as players drop out. Other clubs put in replacement players to do the same job. With Wenger, the player changing means the job changing means a drop in performances while everyone's getting used to the new style.

It's so so unpragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

I think a few years ago, you could be justified in saying that Arsenal would probably miss out on Champions League football without Wenger.
    Now though, we clearly have the resources to compete at the top of the league. Except for Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd, we can probably outspend anyone else.

It's worth risking a new manager at this point imo in an attempt to actually mount a full season league challenge.
    We've seen Wenger built teams implode in god knows how many title challenges.
    The time has surely come for a change.

Anyone read John Cross's book on Arsene? It got great reviews across the pond, but can't seem to find it in bookshops over here. Anyone got a copy they'd like to sell to me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Anyone read John Cross's book on Arsene? It got great reviews across the pond, but can't seem to find it in bookshops over here. Anyone got a copy they'd like to sell to me??

Surely you could order it on amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

vetinari wrote: »

It's worth risking a new manager at this point imo in an attempt to actually mount a full season league challenge.
    We've seen Wenger built teams implode in god knows how many title challenges.
    The time has surely come for a change.

Without a doubt. And for those worried about how terrible things might get, Wenger doesn't have much time left at Arsenal anyway so he should go now and stop eroding his legacy further.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Surely you could order it on amazon?

I'm a fuddy duddy! Like Wenger I guess... I never thought of that!

Has anyone read it? Is it any good?

Without a doubt. And for those worried about how terrible things might get, Wenger doesn't have much time left at Arsenal anyway so he should go now and stop eroding his legacy further.

George? Is that you George? One of my favourite movies of all time. Great user name.

Sorry for going off topic, just had to say it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He's deluded. He still hasn't given up hope of winning the title?? Ten points behind with six games left.
    There'll be lads wearing white coats coming for him soon. He's becoming a bit of a joke figure of late.

• Advertisement

vetinari wrote: »
    I think a few years ago, you could be justified in saying that Arsenal would probably miss out on Champions League football without Wenger.
    Now though, we clearly have the resources to compete at the top of the league. Except for Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd, we can probably outspend anyone else.

That was true all along really.

He's deluded. He still hasn't given up hope of winning the title?? Ten points behind with six games left.
    There'll be lads wearing white coats coming for him soon. He's becoming a bit of a joke figure of late.

To be fair, if he wasn't saying that we had a chance with those margins, then he'd be accused of being a natural born loser. As long as it's mathematically possible, the effort should be made... It's been a mad season, mad as hell, so who knows how it ends!

PS. I'm fully expecting a Leicester BPL title, but to give up now, is treasonous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

George? Is that you George? One of my favourite movies of all time. Great user name.

Sorry for going off topic, just had to say it!

Still have Zuzus petals in me pocket ;)

To be fair, if he wasn't saying that we had a chance with those margins, then he'd be accused of being a natural born loser. As long as it's mathematically possible, the effort should be made... It's been a mad season, mad as hell, so who knows how it ends!

PS. I'm fully expecting a Leicester BPL title, but to give up now, is treasonous!

Maybe but it's been gone for a long time now and that fact has been well acknowledged by the fans. I think he'd have been better saying nothing for his own sake. Even if asked by journalists a response of " time will tell" or " we'll see" would be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We all know how it ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i fully expect pigs to fly then arsenal winning the title

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Brought Giroud into my fantasy team lads - praying to f*ck he starts on Sunday ahead of Welbeck

i fully expect pigs to fly then arsenal winning the title

It won't happen again under Wenger. Of that i'm sure.
    Our club and team are stale. We need a rejuvenation. It will only happen under a new manager and with a new mindset from the Board. We have been this way for 6 or 7 years now. It has to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It won't happen again under Wenger. Of that i'm sure.
    Our club and team are stale. We need a rejuvenation. It will only happen under a new manager and with a new mindset from the Board. We have been this way for 6 or 7 years now. It has to change.

It's worrying times ahead for us Arsenal fans, I don't see Wenger stepping down at the end of the season. I see things getting worse rather then better under him. I think he's lost a few of the players in the dressing room this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three of our very best players wanting out come the summer. I fully expect one to be gone come the summer if he stays.

Next season is going to be tough. City Cheslea and Utd will get stronger with new management and players. Liverpool and Spuds will get stronger. Everton have big money coming through. Leicester and West Ham will be up there too. So that's around 8 teams getting stronger. So don't mind winning the league it could get to the point of keeping top 4 soon enough.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yep, the problem is not personnel, its coaching. Its no coincidence that Arsenal have had season after season of almost identical mediocrity and hilarity, despite very different players representing the club.

Its something the fans who advocate "give him another summer with loads of money" need to realise. We could buy anyone in the world. We're still going to see the same familiar failings because the manager is at fault.

We are nearing the point that will the big name players or talent of high quality even want to join a club where they blow chances of league titles and show any ambition in wanting to be a massive club. We will get to that point seen as Spuds and West Ham will be earning big money with moves to big stadiums and playing great football that they be looking at those London clubs instead of us. You can laugh and ignore that thinking it never happen but it will sooner rather then later.

We are in need of a massive change not just in the board but the field as well. We are looking down rather then up right now.

Looper007 wrote: »
    It's worrying times ahead for us Arsenal fans, I don't see Wenger stepping down at the end of the season. I see things getting worse rather then better under him. I think he's lost a few of the players in the dressing room this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three of our very best players wanting out come the summer. I fully expect one to be gone come the summer if he stays.

Next season is going to be tough. City Cheslea and Utd will get stronger with new management and players. Liverpool and Spuds will get stronger. Everton have big money coming through. Leicester and West Ham will be up there too. So that's around 8 teams getting stronger. So don't mind winning the league it could get to the point of keeping top 4 soon enough.

He and the board can fix that easily by showing proper ambition in the transfer market though.

Really, I get why the players may be unhappy but finding out you've two world class players coming in to play alongside you would fix a lot of it.

The club just needs to be ambitious.

gosplan wrote: »
    He and the board can fix that easily by showing proper ambition in the transfer market though.

Really, I get why the players may be unhappy but finding out you've two world class players coming in to play alongside you would fix a lot of it.

We need a new manager though. Wenger is stagnant surely. He can't do it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We need a new manager though. Wenger is stagnant surely. He can't do it anymore.
    Hasn't been able to do it for quiet some time, but there are still those that believe. :rolleyes:

Wenger is tactically inept nowadays and no transfer could change that. He can barely shut up shop for the final 5 minutes of a game nevermind the final 5 minutes of the first half.

I'm pretty sure if Cech was playing on Saturday, he wouldn't have just sat back and watched the defence give Carroll a free pass. I don't care how well Ospina has played, he hasn't the experience or presence that Cech has and shouldn't be near the team when Cech is fit. It's one thing for an outfield player like Iwobi to keep his place when he's performing well but to leave a world class keeper on the bench when his replacement is less capable, is shocking management imo.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure if Cech was playing on Saturday, he wouldn't have just sat back and watched the defence give Carroll a free pass. I don't care how well Ospina has played, he hasn't the experience or presence that Cech has and shouldn't be near the team when Cech is fit. It's one thing for an outfield player like Iwobi to keep his place when he's performing well but to leave a world class keeper on the bench when his replacement is less capable, is shocking management imo.

I don't see much In that, I think It's just a handy excuse for what happened. If we won 4-0 nobody would be saying anything about Cech, Ospina didn't do much wrong.

I don't see much In that, I think It's just a handy excuse for what happened. If we won 4-0 nobody would be saying anything about Cech, Ospina didn't do much wrong.

The entire defence was crap. Allowed themselves to be bullied and panicked every time a high ball came in. Mert would not have helped either as i've seen him beaten loads of times in the air by smaller attackers.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong but Cech is clearly the better keeper so why bench him for a tough away game at a crucial stage of the season?

I'm not saying he did anything wrong but Cech is clearly the better keeper so why bench him for a tough away game at a crucial stage of the season?

Because Ospina was In a good run of form and Cech hadn't played recently. People In here were complaining about guys like Ramsey coming straight back Into the team ahead of guys like Iwobi who are In form and then people complain If the "better" players don't come In. Can't win really.

All I'm saying Is, who was between the sticks on Saturday really didn't have much influence In how poorly the team as a whole played.

I agree with showing some ambition, but we also need some new tactics and new atmosphere within the club. That means for me getting rid of Wenger out of the club and that he doesn't interfere with finding the new manager. Getting in the best manager we can get and give him time, it won't be a overnight thing but as long as we're moving in the right direction then he'll get plenty of time.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hasn't been able to do it for quiet some time, but there are still those that believe. :rolleyes:

Ah give it a rest.

I don't know why boards is so full of dismissive comments and rolleyes.

On the transfer thing, I think now we need more then a Defensive midfielder and World Class Striker. I think we need a world class centre back who can lead a defence. A right back to challenge Bellerin. A right winger who can beat people and score us some goals. We need this summer to spend some serious cash if we want to consider ourselves a big club.

Looper007 wrote: »
    On the transfer thing, I think now we need more then a Defensive midfielder and World Class Striker. I think we need a world class centre back who can lead a defence. A right back to challenge Bellerin. A right winger who can beat people and score us some goals. We need this summer to spend some serious cash if we want to consider ourselves a big club.

Yeah. We'd never get all that though.

I think we need to add goals to the front four and let the back six worry more about defending. 2 holding MF's would solve a lot of our problems but you need to earn the right to do that.

But we'd probably get a suitable CMF/DMF and RW.

Striker would be tricky and world class defender very tough.

Not saying it wouldn't happen but pick a couple of strikers/CB's and go after them in a big way. If that fails, strengthen elsewhere.

I still maintain that looking for a world class CB is a bit if a waste of time though. You gotta develop them.

We won't be getting anything like a world class DM. Some young lad at the most or Wenger will promote one of the youngsters. I think with the Elneny signing Wenger thinks we're covered there but I believe we desperately need some experience in there, somebody like De Rossi would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

reading back through a few comments made me laugh :D do ye really think a new manager will win us silverware ?

signed cech .. world class
    monreal...consistent left back
    Bellerin... IMO best young RB around
    Krystian Bielik ... guy is looking like a machine at only 18 already
    coquelin... no words needed.
    elneny for 5m ... turning out to be great and will be given time
    ozil .... best in the league on his day
    sanchez... no words needed .

Could almost predict if we brought a new manager in for next year(whoever it may be) will almost 100% F##K things up .

We cant expect to win EVERY single game , and maybe should be doing better against some of the lower teams , Less pressure off Wenger , .... Who at the start of the season said Ranieri would be top with Leicester in Mid-April ??

pudzey101 wrote: »
    reading back through a few comments made me laugh :D do ye really think a new manager will win us silverware ?

signed cech .. world class
    monreal...consistent left back
    Bellerin... IMO best young RB around
    Krystian Bielik ... guy is looking like a machine at only 18 already
    coquelin... no words needed.
    elneny for 5m ... turning out to be great and will be given time
    ozil .... best in the league on his day
    sanchez... no words needed .

Could almost predict if we brought a new manager in for next year(whoever it may be) will almost 100% F##K things up .

We cant expect to win EVERY single game , and maybe should be doing better against some of the lower teams , Less pressure off Wenger , .... Who at the start of the season said Ranieri would be top with Leicester in Mid-April ??

I'd pick nearly anyone to win it ahead of Wenger.
    Wenger will never win it again as I keep saying.
    Maybe you would prefer him to remain but he's long past it. He can't motivate a team and is tactically useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

First time i went against someone on this forum but IMO wenger ( on his day) is a tactical genius , ya have to give the man some credit , theyre is plenty of players in the team that i wont mention but are in the squad for a reason ( down to training performances and leadership )

pudzey101 wrote: »
    First time i went against someone on this forum but IMO wenger ( on his day) is a tactical genius , ya have to give the man some credit , theyre is plenty of players in the team that i wont mention but are in the squad for a reason ( down to training performances and leadership )

He's well past it now and can't even inspire his team to beat average teams like Watford at home or hold onto two goal leads. I want him gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

He's well past it now and can't even inspire his team to beat average teams like Watford at home or hold onto two goal leads. I want him gone.

The most recent home game was a 4-0 win over Watford.

Well argued.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The most recent home game was a 4-0 win over Watford.

Well argued.

You could argue using any team. We've lost to them all.
    You could also buy the 11 best players on the planet and Wenger still couldn't win the league now with them. He's lost anything he had and is becoming the focus of fun with many waiting for his excuses.Just go through the thread. He's turning into a Brian Clough in that he was good once but it ends badly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement