Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We have become the butt of peoples jokes.
    Man U 2-0 up to West Ham and the Man U posters are coming up with

"Important we don't arsenal'd it up"

Who gives a f*ck what United fans say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jaysus, lads are getting very tetchy lately.

If we had 10% of the fight and intelligence Athletico play with we'd walk the league.

If we had 10% of the fight and intelligence Athletico play with we'd walk the league.

We haven't the defenders they have.
    They also had a great gameplan.

We need a couple of signings at the back. Bellerin is tapering off and while he may bounce back I don't particularly want to be without an excellent RB this time next year. A CB next to Koscielny and we're alright on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think we'd be fine with a commanding CB next to Koscielny and keep playing two reasonably defensive players in midfield, like Coquelin and Elneny.

Jaysus, lads are getting very tetchy lately.

It's one of those seasons, I'm afraid.

Now, dig this...whether any of yis like it or not...I can't wait for next season! That's right!

Hope to Jesus we make a few signings etc.

Would Simeone have Mertesacker defending up near the halfway line? Would he fúck. He'd get the best out of Gabriel and Koscielny too. Bellerin wouldnt be wandering like a lost little boy either. Ramsey would be hauled right off if he engaged in one of his blind flicks to no one in particular. And best of all, he would lift the Emirates crowd from their slumber too.

Brady poured cold water on Simeone tonight and dismissed Atletico as cynical which was downright unfair. Wouldn't fit the Arsenal way i suppose of 7000 passes outside the box and back again. This 'total' style of football we're allegedly being spoiled with :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's one of those seasons, I'm afraid.

Now, dig this...whether any of yis like it or not...I can't wait for next season! That's right!

Hope to Jesus we make a few signings etc.

Jeepers... You need help buddy... Has the last 12 years taught you nothing? Unless we bust the bank and buy in 2/3 WC players, or replace Wenger with a proven manager, we are royally screwed!

Would Simeone have Mertesacker defending up near the halfway line? Would he fúck. He'd get the best out of Gabriel and Koscielny too. Bellerin wouldnt be wandering like a lost little boy either. Ramsey would be hauled right off if he engaged in one of his blind flicks to no one in particular. And best of all, he would lift the Emirates crowd from their slumber too.

Brady poured cold water on Simeone tonight and dismissed Atletico as cynical which was downright unfair. Wouldn't fit the Arsenal way i suppose of 7000 passes outside the box and back again. This 'total' style of football we're allegedly being spoiled with :rolleyes:

I used to love the Arsenal of George Graham i.e. get a goal and defend like mad and then hit them on the break again. We never conceded 6 or 8 goals under his watch. We had defenders who took man, ball and anything else that got in the way.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Jeepers... You need help buddy... Has the last 12 years taught you nothing? Unless we bust the bank and buy in 2/3 WC players, or replace Wenger with a proven manager, we are royally screwed!

I do need help. I won't argue with yis about that!

I think we will spend this year. We have to.

I used to love the Arsenal of George Graham i.e. get a goal and defend like mad and then hit them on the break again. We never conceded 6 or 8 goals under his watch. We had defenders who took man, ball and anything else that got in the way.

When I was a kid, between George Graham and Jack Charlton, I thought football matches, like, all of them, we're boring as hell. I mean, I loved goals, but I just thought everyone always had to wait hours for one.

Just want to point out we've beaten 2 of the 4 CL semi finalists at home this season.

*legs it*

Alot of media dribble about 'boring Arsenal'. The 92 72 (i stand corrected i could have swore we scored a huge haul that year) goals we scored in 90/91 league season plus the magic of the likes of Merson and Limpar might have escaped their notice but then they were blinded by their hatred of Arsenal and frustration of George Graham and the club board who kept the media at arms length.

90-91 finished with 74 goals and +56 goal difference.
    88-89 finished with 73 goals and +37 goal difference.

Last year was 71 goals and +35 goal difference.
    Year before was 68 +27.
    Year before was 72 +35
    Year before was 74 +25
    Year before was 72 +29
    Year before was 83 +42
    Year before was 68 +31

So we beat the boring sides' goals scored twice in the last 7 years and beat one of the GDs once, never beat the 90-91 GD. Not arsed going back further.

Myth busted as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just want to point out we've beaten 2 of the 4 CL semi finalists at home this season.

*legs it*

yep your 100% right , there are 4 teams now qualified for the CL semi-final... none of which are Arsenal.

Where are all the posters who moan about the Arsene being limited by financial doping.

Arsenals Revenue is 430M
    Athletico Revenue is 190M

I suppose Wenger would argue its not a level playing field cos they dont have as much money as us.. :rolleyes:
    And all this while still having to regularly sell their best players

What a defensive record they have in La Liga... 16 goals conceded in 32 matches....whilst managing to score 54 (Arsenal have conceded 33 and scored 55 in the same number of matches)

A defense may not win you the title on its own but it goes a long way to making sure your right their consistently competing and winning top flight competitions.
    All this on the same night Man Utd manage to not blow a 2-0 lead against West Ham.
    Wengers clueless...Earth calling Wenger .. its not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Get off the fence and tell us how you really feel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Where are all the posters who moan about the Arsene being limited by financial doping.

Arsenals Revenue is 430M
    Athletico Revenue is 190M

I suppose Wenger would argue its not a level playing field cos they dont have as much money as us.. :rolleyes:
    And all this while still having to regularly sell their best players

What a defensive record they have in La Liga... 16 goals conceded in 32 matches....whilst managing to score 54 (Arsenal have conceded 33 and scored 55 in the same number of matches)

A defense may not win you the title on its own but it goes a long way to making sure your right their consistently competing and winning top flight competitions.
    All this on the same night Man Utd manage to not blow a 2-0 lead against West Ham.
    Wengers clueless...Earth calling Wenger .. its not working.

Have you ever posted in an Arsenal thread when a) we were winning or b) when you weren't trying to stir ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think I can answer that. All his threads about Arsenal are 100% negative. Anyone would think he was a Spurs fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I was actually going to post about Atlético being very negative and while they've only conceded 16, they've only scored 54. Then I realised that Arsenal have scored 55 and conceded 33 :o

262m694.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

So the consensus is that Wenger is a bluffer?

This is hilarious..

Wengers dragging Arsenal thru a decade of mediocrity whilst being the 7th richest club on the planet.
    And all some people can come up with is attacking the messenger.

Posters didnt like the message about Wengers failings when the thought it was wrong,
    Posters still dont like the message about Wengers failings even after another season when its been proven right ..again.

Maybe its a entitlement generation thing, Wengers royally ****ed up multiple seasons but you cant tell me he royally ****ed up cos I will feel bad and look at the pretty stadium we have.

Whats there to be positive about .
    Watford FA Cup
    Sheff Wed League Cup
    CL Group stage losses to Zagreb and Olympiacos , and a spanking by Barca
    PL A collapse , 8 pts from last 24, and it looks like Leicester or Spurs will take the title.

Ye would want to grow up and face reality.

L'prof wrote: »
    I was actually going to post about Atlético being very negative and while they've only conceded 16, they've only scored 54. Then I realised that Arsenal have scored 55 and conceded 33 :o

262m694.png

Really been let down by our attackers this season. It was always said that the only way that Arsenal would get the required number of goals to win the league was if we had multiple players pitching in with 10-15 goals each. It just hasn't happened.

This is hilarious..

Wengers dragging Arsenal thru a decade of mediocrity whilst being the 7th richest club on the planet.

Posters didnt like the message about Wengers failings when the thought it was wrong,
    Posters still dont like the message about Wengers failings even after another season when its been proven right ..again.

Maybe its a entitlement generation thing, Wengers royally ****ed up multiple seasons but you cant tell me he royally ****ed up cos I will feel bad and look at the pretty stadium we have.

Watford FA Cup
    Sheff Wed League Cup
    PL A collapse , 8 pts from last 24, and it looks like Leicester or Spurs will take the title.

I think you'll find a lot of us are grown up. You can tell because we aren't always going on like little cry-babies :pac:

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »

262m694.png

be careful you cant say anything negtive about Arsenes Arsenal.
    this is the forum for fluffy pink clouds football where 'its my football and Im taking it home cos your not playing nice with me'
    fuk sake some of the fans have turned out like the players, delicate little babies that if you upset them they might go off form .

Athletico showed last nights footballs a mans game (no offence to women , I eman it in the sense of its a physical hard game, and even watching womens football they get more stuck in than Arsenal do nowadays)

Another **** season from Arsenal and its all the fault of some random poster on a forum whos making me feel **** about Arsenal,
    Well you should feel **** about them, we have become a ****ing joke.

Man U fans 2-0 up .. "lets not arsenal'd this up "

The legends that I followed and built Arsenal long before Arsene arrived would be putting their boot thru the dressing room door. The had passion and lived for the club and built the club and got kicked around Highbury all with no financial security just cos they loved the club.

oops sorry did I upset someone.
    Its all grand , everythings rosy at Arsenal.. we have pink fluffy clouds over the emirates for ever and ever and ever..sleep tight

This is hilarious..

Watford FA Cup
    Sheff Wed League Cup

I think that's probably enough Haribo for this morning.

this is the forum for fluffy pink clouds football where 'its my football and Im taking it home cos your not playing nice with me'
    fuk sake some of the fans have turned out like the players, delicate little babies that if you upset them they might go off form .

Athletico showed last nights footballs a mans game (no offence to women , I eman it in the sense of its a physical hard game, and even watching womens football they get more stuck in than Arsenal do nowadays)

Another **** season from Arsenal and its all the fault of some random poster on a forum whos making me feel **** about Arsenal,

The legends that I followed and built Arsenal long before Arsene arrived would be putting their boot thru the dressing room door. The had passion and lived for the club and built the club and got kicked around Highbury all with no financial security just cos they loved the club.

Its all grand , everythings rosy at Arsenal.. we have pink fluffy clouds over the emirates for ever and ever and ever..sleep tight

no harm in being negative, but being nothing but negative is what I object to.

Don't see the point in being a fan if it only makes you miserable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

**** me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I still think ColonialBoy is Piers Morgan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

WHAT! Liverpool more successes than us in the past decade. They've won 1 FA cup and have only finished ahead of us once in the league. They haven't won a title for 26 years and you want us to be more like them. They are a joke.

Apologies going back to Benitez then, 11 years.

But how are they a joke? That's hugely direspectfu to be honest. I mean how are they a joke and we're somehow not? I'm not sure if you look since then 2005 you can say what's so much better about us?

They've won a CL and gotten to a final. They have really competed in 2 leagues. We haven't really competed for any. We've gotten to one CL final and we've done better in the FA cup.

But they have hope because they have change, both positive and negative. We're losing hope year on year.

That's a whole big long post having a pop at other people.

Give it a rest.

I have no problem with you being 100% negative but make your own points. You're constantly calling people moaners, coming up with strawmen e.g. 'I suppose you all think ......' or 'some supporters are happy with a big stadium....'

It'd be much better if you just made your points and let others make theirs

keano_afc wrote: »
    I still think ColonialBoy is Piers Morgan.

Nah, Piers is happy when we win

I'll try cheer you up.

Theo Walcott walked into a bar and asked for a few shots, the barman said, "that's not like you"!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll try cheer you up.

Theo Walcott walked into a bar and asked for a few shots, the barman said, "that's not like you"!

Wenger walks up to the bar and says "Theo, how much are they charging you for drink? Wait until 5 minutes before closing time, you'll get it cheaper"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I'll try cheer you up.

Theo Walcott walks into a bar, a defender, a midfielder.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Where's Mickeroo at these days??

Arsene Wenger walks into a bar and the barman says what will you have.
    Wenger says can I see the price list.
    Barman gives him the price list.
    2 hours later ...
    Barman says , cmon what will you have its near closing time Im about to shut the doors.
    Wenger says , its okay I dont need one.

Wenger goes home to the missus...
    she asks mon cherie how was your night ?
    Wenger says it was okay , but the price of drinks are outrageous and there was nothing in the bar worth buying.
    Crack open a bottle of that cheap Franch nouveau wine we picked up in Calais duty free sure that will do fine..
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Where's Mickeroo at these days??

Dark Souls 3 just got released so we won't be seeing him for a while :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post

Just to dispel the myth that we never took a hiding during the George Graham era - we lost to a United team in 1990 in the Rumbelows Cup - you might guffaw and say ah the rumbelows - what a joke - but we played a full strength team that night and still lost 6-2 at home. Just to put that into context - we would only lose one league game all season, win the Title and only concede 18 goals in the league. Hammerings do happen even to the best teams - Spain getting trashed by the Netherlands in the last World Cup, Brazil losing in the Semi Finals too to Germany.

Wenger has been our most successful coach of all time - he deserves our respect for all he has achieved within the game for the Arsenal. I hope he doesn't go the way of Brian Clough but it sadly looks the longer he stays on as Arsenal Manager the more he's tarnishing his legendary club status. He should have walked away after winning the first of our two FA Cups two years ago but hindsight is a great thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A quote from Sebastien Squillaci on Arsenal defence:
    "[Arsenal] were very open. We found ourselves defending in the middle one on one with opposition attackers. It was never easy. Wenger told me, ‘I know it’s difficult, but I want the attacking players to have more freedom and less defensive work’.”
    "I gave everything and, like I say, Arsenal conceded goals before I came, they conceded after I left and they’ll concede in the future."

Kind of confirms what I already believe to be true to be honest.

Quazzie wrote: »
    A quote from Sebastien Squillaci on Arsenal defence:

Kind of confirms what I already believe to be true to be honest.

Squillaci was brutal though tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Squillaci was brutal though tbh!
    He was a decent defender before he came to us to his credit. He hasn't been all that bad since leaving us either. Playing with us, was a level above his, but his point is still valid considering he has played for the club. It would appear that defensive duties are a distant afterthought to our manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

If true, the best graphic I've seen for Arsenal's failings in title challenges
    https://twitter.com/owensfulda/status/720606619365613569/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Just to dispel the myth that we never took a hiding during the George Graham era - we lost to a United team in 1990 in the Rumbelows Cup - you might guffaw and say ah the rumbelows - what a joke - but we played a full strength team that night and still lost 6-2 at home. Just to put that into context - we would only lose one league game all season, win the Title and only concede 18 goals in the league. Hammerings do happen even to the best teams - Spain getting trashed by the Netherlands in the last World Cup, Brazil losing in the Semi Finals too to Germany.

Wenger has been our most successful coach of all time - he deserves our respect for all he has achieved within the game for the Arsenal. I hope he doesn't go the way of Brian Clough but it sadly looks the longer he stays on as Arsenal Manager the more he's tarnishing his legendary club status. He should have walked away after winning the first of our two FA Cups two years ago but hindsight is a great thing.

Clough was a far superior manager than Wenger ever was. What Clough did will never be replicated.

vetinari wrote: »
    If true, the best graphic I've seen for Arsenal's failings in title challenges
    https://twitter.com/owensfulda/status/720606619365613569/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wow. Is that graphic saying that Arsenal haven't won the Premier League in over 10 years? Who would've known.....

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

gosplan wrote: »
    Apologies going back to Benitez then, 11 years.

But how are they a joke? That's hugely direspectfu to be honest. I mean how are they a joke and we're somehow not? I'm not sure if you look since then 2005 you can say what's so much better about us?

They've won a CL and gotten to a final. They have really competed in 2 leagues. We haven't really competed for any. We've gotten to one CL final and we've done better in the FA cup.

But they have hope because they have change, both positive and negative. We're losing hope year on year.

They will be lucky to finish 7th. We are in the champions league every year, they'd kill for that. Maybe we should get Brendan Rogers :pac:

They will be lucky to finish 7th. We are in the champions league every year, they'd kill for that. Maybe we should get Brendan Rogers :pac:

See there you are belittling them.

BR failed miserably in the end but got them closer to a league then we've been in years.

Yeah, they'll be lucky to finish 7th but I know which set of supporters have had a better year.

In particular, I know who will be more optimistic about next year.

At least they'll feel as though there's a point when they get in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

BR failed miserably in the end but got them closer to a league then we've been in years.

Yeah, they'll be lucky to finish 7th but I know which set of supporters have had a better year.

Maybe you should support them then. We have had a much better year than them this year and we will be better than them again next year, as usual.

• Advertisement

BR didn't IMO. Luis Suarez did, when he left, Liverpool floundered. They were shocking defensively under BR, worse than us now, but they outscored teams because of Luis.

As for the rest of your post, looks like the old club of Klopp are destroying Klopps new club. Maybe the players in Dortmund are better, not just the old manager? Who knows, time will tell.

I think Pool are like us to some extent, and ownership is a huge issue, and probably as equal as the gaffer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement