Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Basil3 wrote: »
    Wilshere brings it to a certain extent as well.

At the end of the day, we had over 20 'attempts' on goal, but I can't remember the keeper being troubled.

And yet our manager is saying he's struggling to see where we be strengthened.

We've scored less goals at home this season than Newcastle. But we're going in the right direction, apparently.

keano_afc wrote: »
    And yet our manager is saying he's struggling to see where we be strengthened.

We've scored less goals at home this season than Newcastle. But we're going in the right direction, apparently.

Sorry, didn't see the interview with Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Wenger have much to say after the match?
    Was it too cold for the Arsenal players today or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They've won 6 out of their last 16 in the league now. Title challenge me Arsenal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SlickRic wrote: »
    If I can give a quick observation...

There is little problem with the quality of the team, mostly. The issue is the lack of urgency.

The only player who looked at 1-0 to be driving the game forward was Sanchez, and at 1-1, it was the same. Iwobi has it too in spurts.

There's just nobody (bar Sanchez) who will run at a defence and make it happen. No urgency. No desperation to get a result.

There is a rut. And it's been there a long time. Everything is too comfortable. And that's because there is no pressure on the manager, and no comeuppance if he gets it wrong.

Even though it's another failure, the manager will be there next season, and will basically get to choose when he leaves. That's not healthy. At all.

He can be urgent all he wants, but when he gets the ball, turns, then runs into a defender and loses possession then it means nothing. The bigger issue is that happens all the time in all areas of the field. He could be on his own goal line and still unsuccessfully try to take the opposition on, and then lose possession. That's not worth a **** no matter how 'urgent' it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Guess who screwed up my 7 team accumulator today? Yep :rolleyes:

amateur mistake :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

wonga77 wrote: »
    amateur mistake :p

Ha you'd think I'd have learned by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ye could have it worse, if ye wanna feel better pop over to our place and see a proper f**k up of a season. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ye could have it worse, if ye wanna feel better pop over to our place and see a proper f**k up of a season. :o

Ah no, you got rid of your manager.....that's a successful season!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Reporter: ''What did you make of the boos?'' Adebayor: ''It is fine *laughs* they are angry that I am better than their strikers''

I laughed when I read that. Sadly it's also probably true.

Yeah but you took steps to correct your slide. The poison at you club was cut out. I think Chelsea fans can look forward to next season. We have another season of this years crap to look forward too. Which will be compounded by all around us being stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fans starting to hate Arsene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

someones jumping on the band wagon.... bit late theres only 5 games left in this one and we are into our 10th season of this muck under Wenger.

someones jumping on the band wagon.... bit late theres only 5 games left in this one and we are into our 10th season of this muck under Wenger.

sorry mate, was being sarcastic.

i've never been opposed to wenger going for the right replacement. i also would be happy if he stayed and bought in a few decent players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Fans starting to hate Arsene.

If he stays beyond June I'll have full on hate, right now it's dislike.

But tbh the board are a bigger problem if he is still in charge come June, it's time for change Wenger out and Theo sold would be the right message to start with.

• Advertisement

i also would be happy if he stayed and bought in a few decent players.

He has had too many chances to do this for me it's not an acceptable option, Wenger gone is the right decision now nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

omega man wrote: »
    Reporter: ''What did you make of the boos?'' Adebayor: ''It is fine *laughs* they are angry that I am better than their strikers''

I laughed when I read that. Sadly it's also probably true.

No its not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Soups123 wrote: »
    He has had too many chances to do this for me it's not an acceptable option, Wenger gone is the right decision now nothing else

Wenger is already a couple seasons overdue standing down. This season is washed up, if stays another that one will be washed up as well. He is damaging his legacy more and more every day he stays.

Well I just can't see that he wouldn't see out his contract, so I'm not even thinking about it as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We haven't beaten a London team at home all season.
    Can't remember that every happening before. Shocking.
    Dross manager reigns over dross team.

• Advertisement

you know when you hear people talk about a teams home ground being a fortress.
    Arsenes turned the Emirates into a fortress alright, a bleeding money fortress, you cant get any out of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

This thread should be renamed "Groundhog Day" :)

What's the stat on the last time a 4th placed team beat the premier league winners home and away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What's the stat on the last time a 4th placed team beat the premier league winners home and away?

Is there a trophy for that?

Clutching at straws if thats a defence
    Im sure the Leicester players will be devastated when they win the league knowing we beat them home and away...

Do we get a trophy for doing this?

God you guys are too easy. It's a defence of nothing, simply giving him a chance to spend some time looking up other 'interesting' stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Spineless

Well I just can't see that he wouldn't see out his contract, so I'm not even thinking about it as an option.

See there lies the problem. Too many are still thinking it's his decision. Fan power is strong between now and end of season more noise needs to be made to push the board to make it happen

You can feel it at games and around the stadium it's building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont give a crap what a persons opinion is on Wenger, but his persistance in playing Walcott and leaving Campbell out is mind boggling

One of the most over rated players to ever play for the club. He is absolutely pathetic. Offers nothing but pace. I actually dont think I have ever seen anybody play for the club with such poor technique bar maybe Sanogo.

• Advertisement

God you guys are too easy. It's a defence of nothing, simply giving him a chance to spend some time looking up other 'interesting' stats.

Oh don't worry about that Basil There's plenty of stats this season. Not having a St. Totteringham's Day will be quite unusual.

Here's a few more -

Only Crystal Palace (five) have taken fewer points in Premier League London derbies this season than Arsenal (seven).
    Arsenal have won just one London derby in league competition this season. Their fewest total since the 1963-64 campaign (one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

See there lies the problem. Too many are still thinking it's his decision. Fan power is strong between now and end of season more noise needs to be made to push the board to make it happen

You can feel it at games and around the stadium it's building.

It was like a morgue today, the fans looked deflated plus videos have been posted of fans fighting with stewards and the stadium had pockets of the stands were empty. It's time for fans to show some displeasure at Wenger, i'm sorry it's gone past all this showing respect to Wenger, he's not taken notice of the fans anger at him. The players don't even look like they are playing for him anymore.

The best way is showing it is at last remaining games especially the last game with Villa, for the fans to walk out and not clap this team or manager off. It be a shock to the system, knowing Wenger he won't give a damn. But it will put massive pressure on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Gringo180 wrote: »
    One of the most over rated players to ever play for the club. He is absolutely pathetic. Offers nothing but pace. I actually dont think I have ever seen anybody play for the club with such poor technique bar maybe Sanogo.

For all the faith Wenger has shown in him, he's basically screwed Wenger over this season. Walcott wants out and you can see it in his body language, he really thinks he's world class does Walcott. The same with Ox, he didn't look bothered anytime he plays. I won't be surprised to see them ask for their releases. Wouldn't be surprised that Ramsey skips off into the sunset either. All these players he had faith in will jump off the sinking ship.

I wonder who will pay those wages for Walcott, can't see him getting that anywhere else. Will he take a pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looper007 wrote: »
    For all the faith Wenger has shown in him, he's basically screwed Wenger over this season. Walcott wants out and you can see it in his body language, he really thinks he's world class does Walcott. The same with Ox, he didn't look bothered anytime he plays. I won't be surprised to see them ask for their releases. Wouldn't be surprised that Ramsey skips off into the sunset either. All these players he had faith in will jump off the sinking ship.

I wonder who will pay those wages for Walcott, can't see him getting that anywhere else. Will he take a pay cut.

3 players that wouldnt be a huge loss to be fair. Ramsey maybe, for all his work rate he doesnt really do it for me. Santi and Ozil are our only midfielders that are top level players. Doesnt bother me missing out on Champs Lge football either, we dont deserve it. It might give the club the shock it needs.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    3 players that wouldnt be a huge loss to be fair. Ramsey maybe, for all his work rate he doesnt really do it for me. Santi and Ozil are our only midfielders that are top level players. Doesnt bother me missing out on Champs Lge football either, we dont deserve it. It might give the club the shock it needs.

Especially when we're only in it for the money it generates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Does anyone feel Rosicky should stay another season? Injured ravaged season doesn't bode well although he still has the ability to control the tempo of a game. He's on 90k a week as well :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We never really had a season to start with...

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

tanko wrote: »
    Did Wenger have much to say after the match?
    Was it too cold for the Arsenal players today or something like that.

I believe he said we didn't create enough chances. I don't know if that was a wind up or not, either way, I'm not surprised.

To be honest I very gutted with today. It pretty much guarantees Spurs will finish above us. And I can't handle that at all.

I will say, I was impressed by the passion shown by a few of the players today, namely Alexis, Gabriel and Koscielny... The flatness of the whole game and especially the fans was like a pre season friendly at times.

I guess I'm trying to say, we're ****e, and it hurts badly!

Looper007 wrote: »

The whole project youth (vanity project) has really backfired on Wenger. Vieira called it spot on when he said the very strength of Wenger (faith and loyalty shown in players) is also his very weakness.

Ramsey to his credit does try his best but is very reckless with the ball in the middle of the field in comparison to Elneny. The other two are dead only to wash them. Flog the both of them although i cant imagine if Ox ends up at West Ham as rumoured that Slaven Bilic will put up with his lazy sulking.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    I believe he said we didn't create enough chances. I don't know if that was a wind up or not, either way, I'm not surprised.

To be honest I very gutted with today. It pretty much guarantees Spurs will finish above us. And I can't handle that at all.

I will say, I was impressed by the passion shown by a few of the players today, namely Alexis, Gabriel and Koscielny... The flatness of the whole game and especially the fans was like a pre season friendly at times.

I guess I'm trying to say, we're ****e, and it hurts badly!

Squillachi gave an interesting point in the French media. Overall he was very honest and said he wasn't good enough for the Premier League but felt that our tactics of playing such a high line made it very difficult for a centre half and in Squillachi's case a centre half who is trying to adapt as you could suddenly find yourself in a 1 v 1 situation if the ball is lost. He often raised this with Wenger but Wenger was adamant that if the defence pushed up as much as possible that it gave the attack more freedom rather then having to track back every so often.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsene-wenger-makes-it-difficult-for-central-defenders-at-arsenal-says-former-centreback-squillaci-a3226121.html

Squillachi gave an interesting point in the French media. Overall he was very honest and said he wasn't good enough for the Premier League but felt that our tactics of playing such a high line made it very difficult for a centre half and in Squillachi's case a centre half who is trying to adapt as you could suddenly find yourself in a 1 v 1 situation if the ball is lost. He often raised this with Wenger but Wenger was adamant that if the defence pushed up as much as possible that it gave the attack more freedom rather then having to track back every so often.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsene-wenger-makes-it-difficult-for-central-defenders-at-arsenal-says-former-centreback-squillaci-a3226121.html

Wengers poor player management for the last decade has not only fked Arsenal up for the last decade its also probably done the young players no service either.

Do Ox, Walcott, Ramsey, etc have genuine talent and a real future at the top , winning silverware, at this stage as an Arsenal fan its hard to tell, having seen so many dire performances from them (Ramsey to a lesser degree). Is the exceptional game from them a one off, or is the dire performance from them a one off, its a head wrecker just trying to figure it out.

The question is could another manager develop them and get the best out of them?
    Wengers become so tactically poor maybe another manager can find a role for them in his team that maximises their skills whilst his tactics also minimise their weaknesses.
    Ramseys played very well for Wales, what is it about the Welsh system that complements Ramseys game, whereas the Arsenal system exposes Ramsey.

Squillachi's honest and open appraisal of his expereince of Wenger gives an insight into how Wenger deals with players.
    Wengers shown himself to be petty, drops Cech after his press comments about the title, slaps Ozils wrists after his comments, more or less drops Campbell since Wenger got booed after sub'ing him when he was MOTM against Swansea...
    Ox, Walcott, Ramsey are not kids anymore, they have probably had enough of Wengers bull****. When they first arrived they were in awe of Wenger, now they are probably like us and thinking what hte **** is this guy on, cos hes making no sense, his tactics are way off, and he is out of his league when we face a top team.

If Wenger is getting so many things wrong, how can a young player believe that what Wenger is telling them in 1-1 conversations is what they need to do to develop their career.
    Wilsheres already given Wenger the 2 fingers form the way he is carrying on.

When your in a team even if your getting your game week in week out, and you see your manager fking about with other players in other positions, it can affect your game. Sitting in the dressing room, pre-match, or team meetings, selection being announced, tactics and roles being discussed and players are looking around thinking why the fk is that guy starting again today, or why the **** is that guy not starting. If you, the fans, the press can all see that your manager is cocking up his selection, loyalty, persistence with an out of form player , or his lack of loyalty to an in form player, even if its someoene else it can mess up another players form and the whole teams psyche.

Walcott strikes me as an honest enough lad, I imagine he would be first to admit his form is gone, he needs a reset , he doesnt need his managaer putting him out front and centre with 70,000 people watching him and waiting for him to **** up.

Wengers blown his legacy, ever see United games and the camera goes to Ferguson and the crowd love him, Ferguson had great timing and judgement thruout his career, and he knew when to go.
    Im sorry to say Wenger but when you come back to The Emirates in future years you will not get the same rapturous 100% round of applause and appreciation, their will be alot of polite but muted applause. If you left when you should have, or even adapted when you should have, the crowd would be lifting the roof when you come back to watch a game and we hear your in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Who here wish arsenal finish outside of the top 4 for a change?

If we do finish outside top 4, wenger will be forced to spend big and properly or he may get the sack.

thoughts?

i want big changes at arsenal just like many here and one of the only ways to do that is if we finish off the season poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

If we do finish outside top 4, wenger will be forced to spend big and properly or he may get the sack.

Dude, face facts. He will never change, regardless of where we finish. And he will NEVER be sacked by the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

just arrived home after watching the match at the emirates yesterday. Frustrated to say the least. I don't know why they kept passing the ball around the box and we (supporters) are just shouting to SHOOT! look what happened on the Palace goal shoots outside the box them bam (cech should've done better tho).

After the match there's a big crowd for ArsenalFan TV didn't stay but as usual supporters who paid to watch the match were pissed. There was no urgency really feels like our players gave up already. There are so much to play for like automatic qualification, now we are on our favorite 4th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

thoughts?

i want big changes at arsenal just like many here and one of the only ways to do that is if we finish off the season poorly

No chance, always want them to finish as strongly as possible.

They won't win the Champions Leafue but I'd still prefer them to be in that than Europa.

• Advertisement

thoughts?

Dont think it would make any difference to Wenger or the board + I would hate to be in the Europa League, much prefer the champions league or nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

L'prof wrote: »
    No chance, always want them to finish as strongly as possible.

They won't win the Champions Leafue but I'd still prefer them to be in that than Europa.
    yea but if we finish top 4, wenger will stay and wont buy any players and say our squad is good enough.

For big changes to be made, be it a new manager or new set of players and tactics, failing badly is the way to force wenger and the board to do something

yea but if we finish top 4, wenger will stay and wont buy any players and say our squad is good enough.

For big changes to be made, be it a new manager or new set of players and tactics, failing badly is the way to force wenger and the board to do something

Wenger and the Board are only interested in profits.
    The seats will still be sold (most expensive in EPL) to the corporates and foreign support.
    The Away fans are the only ones likely to be heard protesting and they will be ignored.
    Unfortunately Wenger is here for the foreseeable future. Nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

thoughts?

I wouldn't mind if we finished outside the top four if it provoked some change of attitude at board/management level but sadly I think we've all been programmed to accept that this will not happen. It would also give wenger the excuse that we can't attract "top top talent" without champions league football. The club is a shambles at the moment because Kroenke only cares about profit margins and wenger has been left behind by younger managers who are tactically more astute and who have the ambition wenger had 15/20 years ago. It's really sad to see the club without a lack of direction and as a supporter I'm more frustrated/angry than ever because unfortunately I don't see anything changing in the immediate future due to the Kroenke/wenger combination not having arsenal winning trophies as their number 1 priority. It's just so f***ing annoying.

Wenger and the Board are only interested in profits.
    The seats will still be sold (most expensive in EPL) to the corporates and foreign support.
    The Away fans are the only ones likely to be heard protesting and they will be ignored.
    Unfortunately Wenger is here for the foreseeable future. Nothing will change.

spot on ..

Arsenal Fan TV 2 years ago, this is from 2 years ago!! Some middle aged fat bloke in an anorak calling it like it is and could see the rot on and off the pitch and nothing done about it by our old aged skinny bloke in the anorak on 7 million a year. . 8000 likes 230 dislikes... says it all
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSFEaI4HdA

the only thing thats changed from 2 years ago when this was recorded is instead of 180 Million in the bank, Arsenal now have 200 million in the bank.

Only positive from the weekend was my 10/1 Leicester Top 4 finish came in, placed in October...should keep me in Haribo for the summer. :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99431122#post99431122

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement