Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So i wake up this morning to find out spurs have a great chance to win the title....

Well done wenger.

Is there a single person here who is backing wenger anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So i wake up this morning to find out spurs have a great chance to win the title....

Well done wenger.

Yes. But I don't want to get into it right now.

I'm not saying I'm not fiercely disappointed with the season, by the way. Just that he's still the man as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I'm not saying I'm not fiercely disappointed with the season, by the way. Just that he's still the man as far as I'm concerned.

Just out of curiousity if thats the case what would it take for you to change your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not being antagonistic, but can I ask why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Not buying one outfield player last summer. We all said it, it wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well done wenger.

so it's Wenger's fault that Spurs have finally got their s**t together after 20 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im really curious as to why some people believe Wenger is stll the man for the job? Do they not repeatedly see the team making the same mistakes year in year out and somehow absolve Wenger of any blame? Imho he has been left miles behind in the tactics department. But Ive said it before and il say it again, the coaching staff have alot to answer for too. Simple things like our complete lack of ability to take or defend a corner has gone unaddressed for so long that its embarrassing

wonga77 wrote: »
    Im really curious as to why some people believe Wenger is stll the man for the job? Do they not repeatedly see the team making the same mistakes year in year out and somehow absolve Wenger of any blame? Imho he has been left miles behind in the tactics department. But Ive said it before and il say it again, the coaching staff have alot to answer for too. Simple things like our complete lack of ability to take or defend a corner has gone unaddressed for so long that its embarrassing

Or constantly getting hit on the counter.

greendom wrote: »
    so it's Wenger's fault that Spurs have finally got their s**t together after 20 years?

I think his point is that it should be us up there, not Spurs.

• Advertisement

Deep breath...

I'll start by repeating, this season has been a huge letdown, not just the league, but the double was their for the taking.

However, it's the closest thing to a fair race we've had since Roman turned up, no matter how boring it is to hear that, it's true.

Nobody suffered more than Arsene Wenger with the advent of billionares buying the league. His planning to move stadium would have had us as the dominant team, were it not for the financial doping. Boring, I know, but true.

Then the new TV deal came in, effectively dwarfing matchday revenues. Again, his careful & responsible planning was made redundant by matters outside of his control.

The point of this, is that no matter how many times your favourite clickbait headline website tells you it's 12 years of failure, it isn't. In real world terms, it's 11 years of success. This is the only one that he should have been expected to do better by any reasonable measure.

Now I know it's infuriating and there are obvious things that need to be fixed, but there are also many, many things he gets right. Far more than wrong.

There are definitely things that are broken at the club - for **** sake lower the ticket prices, you don't need it anymore - but I still think he knows what he's doing football wise. He is, after all, our greatest ever manager.

It's not blind loyalty to the man, but it is definitely loyalty.

(Now don't start! I'm just answering the question!)

Yesterday Colonialboy seemed to be angry with Arsene because Spurs beat Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

**** all the other teams. Couldn't give a hit who wins it.

Swansea, Utd, West Ham. Three games in the run in.

We scored six goals but pathetically took 1 point.

Nothing to do with player quality or Spurs or new stadiums of Russian billionaires.

Wenger has shown time and time again that he can't instill the appropriate mentality in the team.

I think he could buy it in in the same way I think he inherited it the first time around. But it's clearly not working his way.

gosplan wrote: »
    **** all the other teams. Couldn't give a hit who wins it.

Swansea, Utd, West Ham. Three games in the run in.

We scored six goals but pathetically took 1 point.

Nothing to do with player quality or Spurs or new stadiums of Russian billionaires.

Wenger has shown time and time again that he can't instill the appropriate mentality in the team.

I think he could buy it in in the same way I think he inherited it the first time around. But it's clearly not working his way.

In fairness people always say he inherited the defence and mental strength.

Forgetting he built the campbell, Lauren, cole and toure defence of the invisibles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

omega man wrote: »
    Those 2 "clowns" are season ticket holders, who attend all away matches, aren't they?

I'm no fan of Arsenal Fans TV but slagging them off on the Internet, in an Arsenal forum, is dumb.

Give over, them two are idiots no other word,season ticket holder or not

JustTheOne wrote: »

Forgetting he built the campbell, Lauren, cole and toure defence of the invisibles.

The invisibles? That's our current defence, no?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Up until we signed Ozil, Wenger could just about get away with the whole financial doping, stadium costs excuse. Now there is no excuse. Gazidis told us we could sign any player apart from Ronaldo or Messi. What do we get last summer...tumbleweed. Wenger has made his bed and its now coming home to roost. I find the stories about him been amazed at the level of unrest amongst fans staggering. Is he that coccooned or that arrogant that he doesnt see whats going on?

The invisibles? That's our current defence, no?

:D

Lol!

keano_afc wrote: »
    I think his point is that it should be us up there, not Spurs.

so we don't get what we want and throw our toys out of the pram!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wilshere played and scored for the U21's last night, pity the bloody season is over already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

The point of this, is that no matter how many times your favourite clickbait headline website tells you it's 12 years of failure, it isn't. In real world terms, it's 11 years of success. This is the only one that he should have been expected to do better by any reasonable measure.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

JustTheOne wrote: »

I don't think they were particularly that much better at defending tbh.

But they were world class all over the pitch.

That's kind of my point about him staying on. Wenger's shortcomings would be hugely minimised if he found another Vieira and Henry.

Essentially think of what we'd be like if he wet out this summer and got Suarez and Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Mickeroooooooooo where are youuuuuuuuuuuuu?

Whilst Spurs pull away , Wenger is giving the players a day off.
    rumours of unrest are coming from the dressing room.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/19/arsenal-stars-baffled-by-arsene-wenger-after-series-of-poor-decisions-5825950/

The Arsenal boss is attempting to manage the club’s injury problems but he has given his players four of the last nine days off, as Arsenal’s season threatens to implode.

not to worry Im sure some posters here see this as a another season of 'real world' suckcess.. :eek:

I expect Wengers too busy with emergency board meetings and trans atlantic conference calls as they discuss the financial impact of the season and how to avert losing more money before the end of season, to be bothered with actually having the players come in and do some football training or even some tag rugby.

Whilst Spurs pull away , Wenger is giving the players a day off.
    rumours of unrest are coming from the dressing room.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/19/arsenal-stars-baffled-by-arsene-wenger-after-series-of-poor-decisions-5825950/

The Arsenal boss is attempting to manage the club’s injury problems but he has given his players four of the last nine days off, as Arsenal’s season threatens to implode.

not to worry Im sure some posters here see this as a another season of 'real world' suckcess.. :eek:

I expect Wengers too busy with emergency board meetings and trans atlantic conference calls as they discuss the financial impact of the season and how to avert losing more money before the end of season, to be bothered with actually having the players come in and do some football training or even some tag rugby.

:pac::pac::pac: You're a funny guy I'll give you that.

We're in April and players have been playing for 9 months solid. I have no issue with players having s day off.

Can you imagine the headlines had the opposite had happened.

"Ozil injury following intense training schedule"

I think Wenger has entered the period of his career where damned if you do, damned if you don't is in full effect.

Deep breath...

I'll start by repeating, this season has been a huge letdown, not just the league, but the double was their for the taking.

However, it's the closest thing to a fair race we've had since Roman turned up, no matter how boring it is to hear that, it's true.

Nobody suffered more than Arsene Wenger with the advent of billionares buying the league. His planning to move stadium would have had us as the dominant team, were it not for the financial doping. Boring, I know, but true.

Then the new TV deal came in, effectively dwarfing matchday revenues. Again, his careful & responsible planning was made redundant by matters outside of his control.

Now I know it's infuriating and there are obvious things that need to be fixed, but there are also many, many things he gets right. Far more than wrong.

There are definitely things that are broken at the club - for **** sake lower the ticket prices, you don't need it anymore - but I still think he knows what he's doing football wise. He is, after all, our greatest ever manager.

It's not blind loyalty to the man, but it is definitely loyalty.

(Now don't start! I'm just answering the question!)

Its commendable, but in fairness your post doesnt deal with why you think Wenger is the man to fix whats wrong ON the field. You speak a lot about off field issues (FFP, oil money, TV cash, ticket prices) but neglect to say anything about the shambles on the pitch.

The off-field stuff is a side issue. Nobody is anything other than grateful for what Wenger achieved during the financially tough years. But that era is over. We are monetarily sound, in fact better than that. We no longer have to sell to buy. Wenger has handled that transition poorly, as he is still in the mindset of managing a low budget in the transfer market. We've bought 2 outfield players in 3 transfer windows, despite glaring needs in the team. Do you think he's the man to fix that? I dont, as there's no reason why he shouldnt have done it by now. Van Persie left 8 transfer windows ago. He hasnt been replaced. Gilberto left 8 YEARS ago. He hasnt been replaced.

There are many, many reasons why Arsene Wenger should leave. I could keep going. I've yet to hear one valid reason as to why he should stay.

Its commendable, but in fairness your post doesnt deal with why you think Wenger is the man to fix whats wrong ON the field. You speak a lot about off field issues (FFP, oil money, TV cash, ticket prices) but neglect to say anything about the shambles on the pitch.

The off-field stuff is a side issue. Nobody is anything other than grateful for what Wenger achieved during the financially tough years. But that era is over. We are monetarily sound, in fact better than that. We no longer have to sell to buy. Wenger has handled that transition poorly, as he is still in the mindset of managing a low budget in the transfer market. We've bought 2 outfield players in 3 transfer windows, despite glaring needs in the team. Do you think he's the man to fix that? I dont, as there's no reason why he shouldnt have done it by now. Van Persie left 8 transfer windows ago. He hasnt been replaced. Gilberto left 8 YEARS ago. He hasnt been replaced.

There are many, many reasons why Arsene Wenger should leave. I could keep going. I've yet to hear one valid reason as to why he should stay.

Because he sacrificed his entire life for US!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I think Wenger has entered the period of his career where damned if you do, damned if you don't is in full effect.

Damned if you don't because he brings so much of this on himself. We were literally the only team in the top flight of the top five European leagues (96 teams) to not buy an outfield player last summer. We never spend the money at our disposal. Our January transfer windows are awash with panic buys usually parachuted in to address problem we didn't take care of during the summer. It's sheer negligence.

Damned if he does? Does what, exactly?

Reasons for keeping Wenger.

His record in keeping a team in the top 4 is unparalleled.

A change in manager of 20 years is not an easy thing to accomplish. Look at United for proof of how tough it is (a club with resources much greater than ours btw).

He is a major name in football and players will choose to come to Arsenal because he's at the club..

Wenger's time is up but we have to ensure we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I really hope the club is thinking carefully about his replacement and doesn't feel rushed into making a snap decision

A change in manager of 20 years is not an easy thing to accomplish. Look at United for proof of how tough it is (a club with resources much greater than ours btw).

He is a major name in football and players will choose to come to Arsenal because he's at the club..

Wenger's time is up but we have to ensure we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I really hope the club is thinking carefully about his replacement and doesn't feel rushed into making a snap decision

That's one major issue, depending on whether players actually want to play for him any more. Either sign some big players, and have an amazing team to hand over to a new manager after next year, or bring in a manager who has enough pull to bring in the big players on his own.

• Advertisement

Irrelevant at this point since we can't get past the second round and don't invest any of the winnings or try to strengthen appropriately to get past that round. Finishing 5th this summer would produce the same transfer spend as 3rd.

This is the old 'may as well stay in a loveless marriage because change is scary' argument. It's Arsenal's fault that Wenger has been here 20 years ago. He should've been let go 6-7 years ago when the rot started setting in. And United could still finish ahead of us and win the FA Cup. Point is all top teams are proactive and don't let managment get too comfortable in order to stay competitive. We have permanent malaise after 20 years.

And will choose to leave once they realise he can't further their career in any way. You think Sanchez and Ozil want to sign a new contract if this is the next 3 years for them?

This should've happened years ago. If it's a snap decision, that's only because management is terrible at their job and lets the dictator do their job for them. Either way, next season will be even worse if Wenger stays. And you know that the board is just waiting for two wins in a row so that they can offer him a three-year deal.

Either way, next season will be even worse if Wenger stays. And you know that the board is just waiting for two wins in a row so that they can offer him a three-year deal.

I think we hear this every season. All the other teams are strengthening, Arsenal will struggle to make the top 4 etc etc. I guess if you keep saying it often enough, it will eventually come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think the worst thing about last night is that it made me realise that we would never have the mentality to go to Stoke in a title race and win 4-0. More chance of getting turned over 4-0. Pochettino has instilled a belief and determination in his side that's been clearly absent in this Arsenal team.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think we hear this every season. All the other teams are strengthening, Arsenal will struggle to make the top 4 etc etc. I guess if you keep saying it often enough, it will eventually come true.

If you're happy with 4th every season, good for you.

If you're happy with 4th every season, good for you.

Didn't say that, sorry to disappoint.

Didn't say that, sorry to disappoint.

That's as good as it'll get next season. Stick or twist?

That's not what Arsenal should be aspiring to achieve, his record over the past 10 years of winning the league has been non-existent so let's find someone who has a good one.

So what's the solution? Just don't change ever because It may be difficult? It's hardly a reason to keep Wenger simply because he's been here for a long time, If anything that's a reason for him to go.

Really? If a world class player has to choose between Barca,Real,Bayern,Arsenal I'm pretty sure most will turn their nose up at Arsenal regardless of managers seeing how we've failed to reach our potential year on year, never won the CL haven't won the PL In over a decade etc etc.

They've had more than enough time to think about a replacement.

That's as good as it'll get next season. Stick or twist?

If you can guarantee winning the title, or at least being a signicant improvement, then twist.

If we will be about the same or worse, then I'll stick. I don't believe that we would be worse than this under Wenger next year.

Lads ye do know its your fault if Ozil or Sanchez dont extend or choose to leave.
    I wonder does a world class player have a get out clause if we fail to get CL spot. I digress , back to my point ...

yeah, its yours/my fault, you know who Im talking about with your funny catchy names, if our stars walk, and if we fail to attract some real talent or big names in the summer then its all because of ye and your moaning and complaining on this forum. If teh other top 6 or even Spurs pick up some world stars to add to their developed talent, its all ye're fault .... and I for one am sick of it. :D:D

leave Wenger out of it its not his fault, nothings his fault, especially that bloody zip. :P

• Advertisement

That's not what Arsenal should be aspiring to achieve, his record over the past 10 years of winning the league has been non-existent so let's find someone who has a good one.

So what's the solution? Just don't change ever because It may be difficult? It's hardly a reason to keep Wenger simply because he's been here for a long time, If anything that's a reason for him to go.

Really? If a world class player has to choose between Barca,Real,Bayern,Arsenal I'm pretty sure most will turn their nose up at Arsenal regardless of managers seeing how we've failed to reach our potential year on year, never won the CL haven't won the PL In over a decade etc etc.

They've had more than enough time to think about a replacement.

If it were all that clear cut and easy it would have been done, or the unveiling for the new guy will surely be just round the corner. Are you holding your breath ?

If it were all that clear cut and easy it would have been done, or the unveiling for the new guy will surely be just round the corner. Are you holding your breath ?

It Is that clear cut and easy, problem Is the club doesn't want him gone, the men with the money and power have no Interest In winning anything or improving our teams performance on the pitch. As long as Wenger Is keeping the books In good order that's all that matters. I thought this was discussed at length on a regular basis?

The home results against Bayern, City and United show he can still get it tactically right and can be flexible. In fact our record against big teams in the past 2 years is pretty strong, isn't it?

I'm not convinced he has the freedom to spend what he wants, but I believe he should be given a chance to make up for putting too much faith in a few players who let him down this year. We'd all be laughing if Walcott and Giroud turned up in the second half of the season. And Alexis.

Plus, we'd all be laughing our asses off if Cazorla hadn't been injured.

I want to see him be ruthless with the squad and I think he'll be hurting enough after this season to do it.

If you really think about it the only thing thats actually kept Wenger in his job is the OIL money, Abramavich and excessive spending by United.

Cos without that money and the fact it helped the winning of and the progession thru to the late stages of the CL for the likes of ManU,Chelsea,Man City and even SPurs, the English premier league would have lost its 4th place CL spot a long time ago.

So much for the magician scraping into 4th spot, he owes thnks to DiMatteo, Mourinho and Ferguson for keeping the PL coefificent so high that 4th spot got him the CL spot and saved his job.

What do BORUSSIA MONC., PAOK, LENS, FIORENTINA, GALATASARY, VALENCIA, DEPORTIVO, AJAX, PSV, LIVERPOOL, MAN UTD, MILAN, MONACO have in common ?

Answer
    If you exclude Barcelona and Bayern Munich (lets give the old fella a pass on those) thats the list of teams that have stopped Arsenal in European competion under Arsene Wengers reign.
    Wenger couldnt compete with the 'financial doping ' of those giants listed above.

If you really think about it the only thing thats actually kept Wenger in his job is the OIL money, Abramavich and excessive spending by United.

Cos without that money and the fact it helped the winning of and the progession thru to the late stages of the CL for the likes of ManU,Chelsea,Man City and even SPurs, the English premier league would have lost its 4th place CL spot a long time ago.

So much for the magician scraping into 4th spot, he owes thnks to DiMatteo, Mourinho and Ferguson for keeping the PL coefificent so high that 4th spot got him the CL spot and saved his job.

What do BORUSSIA MONC., PAOK, LENS, FIORENTINA, GALATASARY, VALENCIA, DEPORTIVO, AJAX, PSV, LIVERPOOL, MAN UTD, MILAN, MONACO have in common ?

Answer
    If you exclude Barcelona and Bayern Munich (lets give the old fella a pass on those) thats the list of teams that have stopped Arsenal in European competion under Arsene Wengers reign.
    Wenger couldnt compete with the 'financial doping ' of those giants listed above.

Well done. Have you a list of teams knocked out of the CL by Arsenal under Wenger?

Feel free to include the group stages, and all the teams from the prem that never made it because he takes up one spot every single year.

Well done. Have you a list of teams knocked out of the CL by Arsenal under Wenger?

Feel free to include the group stages, and all the teams from the prem that never made it because he takes up one spot every single year.

Dont encourage him :pac:

• Advertisement

If you can guarantee winning the title, or at least being a signicant improvement, then twist.

If we will be about the same or worse, then I'll stick. I don't believe that we would be worse than this under Wenger next year.

This is an anomaly. No manager can guarantee anything. I do think we deserve a manager who is willing to change our boring, repetitive brand of football. A manager who is willing to instil self belief in his team. A manager who will use the funds available to him to strengthen the team.

Its sad to see that you're happy for another season like this one. I want my team to win things, to compete. To put in a good effort instead of losing to youth teams. To score a goal against Chelsea.

Dont encourage him :pac:

Next thing it'll be Wenger's fault other teams are failing.

Bit like Stoke yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

When successive teams made up of different players start a season well, show the ability and skill to lead the table and then fall apart at the same period of every year that to me is not the board's fault or the players' fault, it is the manager's fault. He is the common denominator.

The home results against Bayern, City and United show he can still get it tactically right and can be flexible. In fact our record against big teams in the past 2 years is pretty strong, isn't it?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. No point putting it up to Bayern and Barca once a season if you're going to make Monaco look like 1970 Brazil.

I'm not convinced he has the freedom to spend what he wants, but I believe he should be given a chance to make up for putting too much faith in a few players who let him down this year. We'd all be laughing if Walcott and Giroud turned up in the second half of the season. And Alexis.

They're his players, and its up to him to make them better. If he cant do that, they should be sold. Lets face it, its not just this season that Walcott and Giroud have been pish. Giroud is a fine player, but he's one dimensional and you wont win a league with him leading your line. Wenger has had ample time to being in an alternative/replacement. The less said about Walcott the better. Sanchez is suffering because he's all we have. He's been overplayed and got injured as a result.
    Plus, we'd all be laughing our asses off if Cazorla hadn't been injured.

If a player is that important to the team you dont leave yourself short if he picks up an injury. We brought in no outfield players last summer. Did Wenger sit down at any point and think "what do I do if Cazorla gets hurt?" Not signing an outfield player last summer will go down as the biggest mistake of his managerial career, in my opinion.
    I want to see him be ruthless with the squad and I think he'll be hurting enough after this season to do it.

You're asking a guy who gave Abou Diaby contract after contract to be ruthless with the squad. A guy who got injured kicking a football.

Again, its admirable to stand by him. But he's had chance after chance. I want Arsenal competing again. A team with our resources should not be out of a title race led by Leicester and Spurs. We can only get there with a change in management.

This is an anomaly. No manager can guarantee anything. I do think we deserve a manager who is willing to change our boring, repetitive brand of football. A manager who is willing to instil self belief in his team. A manager who will use the funds available to him to strengthen the team.

Its sad to see that you're happy for another season like this one. I want my team to win things, to compete. To put in a good effort instead of losing to youth teams. To score a goal against Chelsea.

I'm not happy for another season like this one. Just because I don't constantly moan, doesn't mean that I'm happy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement