Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Surely not true? As stubborn as he is he has to realise he has lost the fans? As it is another year is going to be too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

wonga77 wrote: »
    Surely not true? As stubborn as he is he has to realise he has lost the fans? As it is another year is going to be too much

He must have a thick skin -

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36106478

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd love nothing more than for Wenger to turn it around and prove everyone wrong. But we all know that's not going to happen. If he signs an extension it'll just be very... sad. He doesn't deserve the abuse from the fans after what he's done in 20 years, but it's definitely time to move on. As bad as this season had been I think he's earned the right to see out his contract, but offering him a new one would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Who would be a realistic replacement to Wenger? Have to say there's a lot of complaining on this thread but not many solutions, other than 'sell everyone I don't like'. I think Wenger should be gone, probably shouldn't have lasted this long either but who is out there that is available and better than him?

liam7831 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, he has made the club what it is. Its up to him when he wants to leave

bullsh*t. No one should be bigger than Arsenal FC, no one. The fans wanted the league, he didnt deliver and in any normal functioning club he would be sacked.

Worryingly, we have even bigger muppets in the boardroom to even contemplate this. No interest in the football side of things.

Who would be a realistic replacement to Wenger? Have to say there's a lot of complaining on this thread but not many solutions, other than 'sell everyone I don't like'. I think Wenger should be gone, probably shouldn't have lasted this long either but who is out there that is available and better than him?

Personally, Simeone would be my first choice but that possibility is slipping more by the day. He justifiably probably wouldn't touch us with a barge pole even with ozil and Sanchez.

As for those players that people are hoping are sold, there is no way on earth that some of these wimps should return next season. It is a crying shame that they will even remain in professional football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Personally, Simeone would be my first choice but that possibility is slipping more by the day. He justifiably probably wouldn't touch us with a barge pole even with ozil and Sanchez.

As for those players that people are hoping are sold, there is no way on earth that some of these wimps should return next season. It is a crying shame that they will even remain in professional football.

That's the thing though, it would in all honesty be a big step down for Simeone to go from Atletico to Arsenal. Atletico have been contenders for CL for a few years now whereas Arsenal were always destined to go no further than the QF. Same goes for most top managers. Not to say there aren't some great yet slightly unproven managers, but it's a risk. Don't want a Moyes situation.

Yeah I agree there needs to be a clean out, but you can't get rid of that many people without replacing most of them, which unfortunately probably isn't realistic. For example getting rid of Ox and Walcott who in my opinion aren't good enough for a league winning side; who replaces them?

That's the thing though, it would in all honesty be a big step down for Simeone to go from Atletico to Arsenal. Atletico have been contenders for CL for a few years now whereas Arsenal were always destined to go no further than the QF. Same goes for most top managers. Not to say there aren't some great yet slightly unproven managers, but it's a risk. Don't want a Moyes situation.

Yeah I agree there needs to be a clean out, but you can't get rid of that many people without replacing most of them, which unfortunately probably isn't realistic. For example getting rid of Ox and Walcott who in my opinion aren't good enough for a league winning side; who replaces them?

We cant suffer inertia either just because of what happened with Moyes. Liverpool got rid of both Shankly and Paisley (admittedly though both were disgracefully treated like dogs afterwards) and both Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish carried on the success. United panicked with Moyes and probably shouldnt have given Ferguson the job of selecting the manager as Ferguson picked someone who he seen alot of himself in (Working class Glaswegian background etc).

We have the money to spend on players so get rid of those who are holding this club down and get in people who are honoured to play for this club and we are dismissing the possibility of Simeone without asking the question really. Managers like a challenge too. When Simeone took over, Atletico were fighting relegation. Look at them now. Against all odds they are putting it up to the big boys. He is a truly amazing manager and has restored my faith in football tbh. If Klopp was willing to go to Liverpool who were terrible at the time he got the job then surely we should be able to attract a top manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

But we're always destined for a QF place under Wenger. Under Simeone we'd be challenging for UCL also. Under Simeone we would've had a league title this year. Your post is based n the assumption that Wenger is getting the best from the team and has brought them as far as they are capable, but it's not true. He's only brought them as far as he is currently capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I'd love nothing more than for Wenger to turn it around and prove everyone wrong. But we all know that's not going to happen. If he signs an extension it'll just be very... sad. He doesn't deserve the abuse from the fans after what he's done in 20 years, but it's definitely time to move on. As bad as this season had been I think he's earned the right to see out his contract, but offering him a new one would be madness.

It's like Dr. Evil talking about Mini Me, saying " can the little guy not take a hint "

I do not think Wenger has any more tricks in his bag. A great as he was he is past it. For him to change, he would have to reinvent himself and the man is not for turning.

Yup. I'm OK with him finishing his contract but I hope to god they don't give him a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

The man earns 8 million a year with little or no pressure from the board to deliver anything more than 4th. Of course he's not going to leave.

Arsene will keep going for as long as he wants and fcuk the little people like the fans. What do we know about football anyway - right?

If Simeone was offered decent money and given guarantees about transfer funds and being able to run things how he wants I'd say he'd love to come to Arsenal. It would be a fresh challenge in a new country - why not?

@Arsenal: It's time... Here is @Arsenal's starting XI for #SFCvAFC pic.twitter.com/l5CU78TVcR

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/724207571582750720

Same team, with Jack on the bench.

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »
    The man earns 8 million a year with little or no pressure from the board to deliver anything more than 4th. Of course he's not going to leave.

Arsene will keep going for as long as he wants and fcuk the little people like the fans. What do we know about football anyway - right?

If Simeone was offered decent money and given guarantees about transfer funds and being able to run things how he wants I'd say he'd love to come to Arsenal. It would be a fresh challenge in a new country - why not?

Do you really think he's not trying to win it every year, and finishing top 4 is a side effect of that? If a new manager came in, would you give him 3 years to win the league, or he's sacked, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Another Ramsey master-class incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would have preferred Gabriel back in, if Defoe gets himself one v one against Mert we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This will be comfortable enough for Arsenal. I'd expect Sunderland to come flying out of the traps with a big crowd behind them but Arsenal will weather the storm for 20 minutes and the class will tell in the end.

Arsenal to win by a couple.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Do you really think he's not trying to win it every year, and finishing top 4 is a side effect of that? If a new manager came in, would you give him 3 years to win the league, or he's sacked, for example?

Any manager worth their salt would have reflected and changed both their personnel and their tactics where needs necessary. Wenger has persisted with the same tired players and tactics. He thinks he can win it his way but the message doesn't seem to be sinking in. The club needs a change. I'd personally be patient with a new manager because his first task would be to ditch the dross that Wenger brought into the club and put his own mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Giroud to start.

Hopefully his buildup play is up to scratch and he'll bag an assist or two as 1 goal in 13 is just horsesh*t.

Any manager worth their salt would have reflected and changed both their personnel and their tactics where needs necessary. Wenger has persisted with the same tired players and tactics. He thinks he can win it his way but the message doesn't seem to be sinking in. The club needs a change. I'd personally be patient with a new manager because his first task would be to ditch the dross that Wenger brought into the club and put his own mark

Don't agree with that, we played a lot of games this season where we sat back, defended, then hit teams on the break. This isn't typical Wenger play.

He has tried 3 different styles of striker up top, totally different style centre backs etc.

What dross are you referring to? Of his last 10 signings (for example) , which ones were dross?

I agree a change is needed, but the only same thing about this season is that we don't win the league. The journey to get there wasn't typical.

He's trying to win it by doing what HE thinks is the only way to do it. That's not enough anymore. He's inflexible and won't go the extra mile or bring in the last few players that MAY push us on to the title.

There are no guarantees in football but the least I want from a team is that they give their absolute best. Wenger hasn't given us his absolute best and neither have the players who HE brought in.

I'm sitting here looking at SKY and his interview and he's still beating the tired drum about us beating Leicester twice. That's great but you dont just get handed the league for two games. Redknapp was talking a lot of sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Iwobi looking sharp

Giroud to start.

Hopefully his buildup play is up to scratch and he'll bag an assist or two as 1 goal in 13 is just horsesh*t.

I think this is part of our problem. When Giroud plays, he is effectively a high-up midfielder and we want him to hold the ball up. But who is he holding it up for? Where is the striker we need to finish off his hold up play. We don't have a striker at the club at all. We've loads of people who can create goals, but absolutely no one who can finish them at a consistent rate.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think this is part of our problem. When Giroud plays, he is effectively a high-up midfielder and we want him to hold the ball up. But who is he holding it up for? Where is the striker we need to finish off his hold up play. We don't have a striker at the club at all. We've loads of people who can create goals, but absolutely no one who can finish them at a consistent rate.

Look at Alli for Tottenham. He is regularly given licence to run past Kane and into the box, but if any of our midfielders do that, they are given grief for leaving the midfield exposed. It's a fine balance.

Don't agree with that, we played a lot of games this season where we sat back, defended, then hit teams on the break. This isn't typical Wenger play.

He has tried 3 different styles of striker up top, totally different style centre backs etc.

What dross are you referring to? Of his last 10 signings (for example) , which ones were dross?

I agree a change is needed, but the only same thing about this season is that we don't win the league. The journey to get there wasn't typical.

What about his persistence in keeping a high line when we have a slow centre half? We have been pretty much Chelsea's bitch the last ten years and even rubbish united teams have beaten us

Of his last ten signings I can't complain tbh its the younger players where years of time and investment went into I take exception too.
    Gibbs, Walcott, Ox, useless overrated rubbish. Wilshere a permacrock. Bellerin gets caught out of position, Chesney has pretty much amounted to nothing.

What about his persistence in keeping a high line when we have a slow centre half? We have been pretty much Chelsea's bitch the last ten years.

Of his last ten signings I can't complain tbh its the younger players where years of time and investment went into I take exception too.
    Gibbs, Walcott, Ox, useless overrated rubbish. Wilshere a permacrock. Bellerin gets caught out of position, Chesney has pretty much amounted to nothing.

They're all home grown players, though, and essentially squad players. Walcott is the only one I'd be happy to see go, the rest are only young.

It's usual for English players to he overhyped. In fairness, Gibbs is nowhere near as bad as people make out, and Wilshere was consistently giving man-of-the-match performances for England not all that long ago.

Fúck this Giroud lad, sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What a coward Mertesacker is turning his back like that. And he is the captain. Typical gutless Arsenal.

• Advertisement

How many teams have a better #9 than us in the league? 6-8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Poor half
    Özil nonexistent
    Giroud awful

How many teams have a better #9 than us in the league? 6-8?

The team we're currently playing have a better striker anyway.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What a coward Mertesacker is turning his back like that. And he is the captain. Typical gutless Arsenal.

Ha

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Poor half
    Özil nonexistent
    Giroud awful

Ozils final ball has been poor lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Hows it looking lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ha

Any central defender worth there salt doesnt turn there back like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

wonga77 wrote: »
    Hows it looking lads?
    Add your reply here.
    Rubbish so far

It's the lack of hope that gets to me the most. I have zero confidence in us getting anything from this game. These are almost certain to be relegated and we should be putting a few past them as Paully earlier predicted, but instead we're relying on the brilliance of Cech to even keep us hanging on for a point.

• Advertisement

This is poor. Cech our only saving grace.

Really can't see where the goal is coming from

Really can't see where the goal is coming from

Defoe perhaps?

Desperate stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Hurry up and make some fcuking subs.

Gabriel probably isnt the answer but Mert definitely isnt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Who just ducked out of a header at the corner???!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The players don't give a ****

Walcott will be on in a minute to run around for a bit.

Honestly how anyone could look at this sh1te and want Arsene to stay is beyond me but sure each to their own

Who just ducked out of a header at the corner???!!

Kos according to Niall Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Arsenal without koscielny would be a lot like united without de gea. He's been so good today.

Arsenal really overplaying everything when they get to the final third.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement