Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Looks like a hand me down from Dortmund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

And there I was thinking we only got handed down their injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I like it but there's no way I'm buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

keano_afc wrote: »
    I like it but there's no way I'm buying it.

I don't wear jerseys anymore so I definitely won't be buying it. Nice though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I believe the stripes on the sleeves to be some sort of mind bending psycho persuasion device to convince opposition defenders to allow us an extra twenty touches before we eventually shoot

They can hand us down 'Mickity Ryan' (Mkhitaryan) and Reus if they wish

Away shirt is disgusting as if the colour scheme isn't bad enough.

Don't buy the new jerseys anyway. Prefer the older types of which there is people who remake almost identicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Love the away kit!
    Will defo be getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think that's a great kit.

• Advertisement

Its a bit like like the Pittsburgh Steelers alternate jersey, if there are any American football fans here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I haven't bought a Puma kit yet, I'm not funding this business until I see improvements on the field.

(also Puma make **** kits)

Atletico Madrid: Diego Simeone handed three-game La Liga ban - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36152150

I'm sure most people will think it's pretty funny what Simeone did there. Imagine the different reactions if Klopp or Wenger or Mourinho had done the same :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    Atletico Madrid: Diego Simeone handed three-game La Liga ban - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36152150

I'm sure most people will think it's pretty funny what Simeone did there. Imagine the different reactions if Klopp or Wenger or Mourinho had done the same :D

Actually not, bad form out of him tbh. Appropriate ban. This 'strategic' use of ball boys is becoming widespread in the game and its not on. Setting a bad example.

I'd still have him as Arsenal manager overall. His positives far outweigh his negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep I'd love to have him at Arsenal and keep all of the current squad just to see how'd they'd react to his methods and obviously bring in some of the players we need too

All dreams and wishful thinking obviously

Its a bit like like the Pittsburgh Steelers alternate jersey, if there are any American football fans here.

Which is strange as Kroenke is currently in dispute with the NFL over a stadium move and uses every opportunity to discredit the NFL hierarchy.......chaired by a certain Art Rooney II, owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Watched Moneyball again there last night. Aside from being a great film, it does make you think about how we critique our clubs. The commentary inserts in the film often highlight how far off the mark the critics often are – for example the team manager being roundly applauded for the team’s run when it was the GM who was really the architect of the club’s success.

This isn’t meant to be a stealth defence of Wenger by the way. If anything we are starting to resemble the ‘dinosaurs’ like the Yankees in Moneyball, out performed by more modern, more efficient, smaller outfits like Atletico in Europe and Leicester and Spurs domestically. It does make you question who really is responsible for a team’s success though. Part of what makes Leicester’s title charge so baffling is that it is with a ‘journeyman’ manager in charge. I wonder if there is a broader strategy in place at Leicester, implemented by someone else? I remember when Swansea came up and Rodgers was lauded and then poached by Liverpool, but they barely missed a beat. Southampton are another example of a club who have changed managers a couple of times and continued to perform.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The difference between Arsenal, Chelsea, City , Utd etc and these "upcoming" successful teams is that these other teams have players who are still striving to make an impact in order to make big money/salary moves. Our players are more interested in the money then in the success or the club - let alone pleasing the fans.

Otherwise, the fight shown by Leicester, Spurs, Ath Madrid would be nullified by equal levels of fight from our team. It's just not there at Arsenal. A talented player who makes no effort can't compete with the average player who leaves nothing out on the pitch game after game.

This is where AW fails. He is too quick to pick players on their "potential" impact in a game rather than players who he can count on. He needs to start picking the team based on form rather than based on their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Watched Moneyball again there last night. Aside from being a great film, it does make you think about how we critique our clubs. The commentary inserts in the film often highlight how far off the mark the critics often are – for example the team manager being roundly applauded for the team’s run when it was the GM who was really the architect of the club’s success.

This isn’t meant to be a stealth defence of Wenger by the way. If anything we are starting to resemble the ‘dinosaurs’ like the Yankees in Moneyball, out performed by more modern, more efficient, smaller outfits like Atletico in Europe and Leicester and Spurs domestically. It does make you question who really is responsible for a team’s success though. Part of what makes Leicester’s title charge so baffling is that it is with a ‘journeyman’ manager in charge. I wonder if there is a broader strategy in place at Leicester, implemented by someone else? I remember when Swansea came up and Rodgers was lauded and then poached by Liverpool, but they barely missed a beat. Southampton are another example of a club who have changed managers a couple of times and continued to perform.

This x10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think Wenger's as culpable as people make out.

On a daily basis I don't think it's down to him whether we mess up or choke.

However I think it is down to a culture he's created at the club where penny pinching and the bottom line is more important than the finishing line.

The question is can he change it now?

I'm only a random guy with opinions on the Internet so like you say it's hard to know but I think being more ambitious in the transfer market and more ruthless when it comes to under performing players could achieve a lot.

Like it seems we have very fixed expectations and standards when it comes to finances.

But what are our performance standards? What is unacceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was away for a week and just watched the Sunderland game today.
    What a sorry state our club is turning into.
    A manager who can't motivate, players who are far too soft and far too well paid and fans who seem to be content to put up with mediocrity.

Our club has gone downhill big time. So sad to see.

So how can it be rectified?

For me it will take someone with balls to get rid of Wenger. Someone who will put the club before anything else. Can't see that happening either.
    A new manager who will clear out the dead wood and replace them with proper players. That won't happen unless the fans get active. The fans need to be prepared to refuse to renew their season tickets and hit them in the pocket. They need to get noisy and protest at the remaining games and let those in charge hear them. I fear that things will only get worse as i cannot see any of these things happening. Wenger will remain and things will get a lot worse before something gives.

The wheels fell off around the time that David Dein left the club....coincidence....maybe not

Andip wrote: »
    The wheels fell off around the time that David Dein left the club....coincidence....maybe not

Dein was at least a football fan who was ambitious and hungry for success. Perhaps same could be said for Danny Fiszman who Adams said was big into keeping the players happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

so for everyone wanting wenger out .... , who is the ideal replacement ??? IMO i'd love simeone but cant see him leaving atletico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

pudzey101 wrote: »
    so for everyone wanting wenger out .... , who is the ideal replacement ??? IMO i'd love simeone but cant see him leaving atletico

Pep would have been my 1st choice probably followed by Klopp. I don't think Simeone is quite right in terms of style but in fairness, his Atlético team is far better to watch than Wenger's Arsenal these days. What about Pocchetino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

L'prof wrote: »
    Pep would have been my 1st choice probably followed by Klopp. I don't think Simeone is quite right in terms of style but in fairness, his Atlético team is far better to watch than Wenger's Arsenal these days. What about Pocchetino?

I think Pocchetino is a name that will be banded around a lot but he is flavour of the month right now. Like you, Pep would have been my first choice...an absolute winner. Simeone would be my second choice, a tough disciplinarian that we need right now. I'd almost say Mourinho would be a great pick but for being an absolute prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Pocchetino is a name that will be banded around a lot but he is flavour of the month right now. Like you, Pep would have been my first choice...an absolute winner. Simeone would be my second choice, a tough disciplinarian that we need right now. I'd almost say Mourinho would be a great pick but for being an absolute prick.

I'm going to enjoy watching him at Man U - can't wait for it all to go wrong

Simeone would be class because the board would absolutely sh1t themselves. He wouldnt be the yes man they currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Simeone would be class because the board would absolutely sh1t themselves. He wouldnt be the yes man they currently have.

And thats why they'd never go for him.

Me? I'd have him in a heartbeat, sod tippy tappy stuff, what's wrong with being hard to beat & winning stuff?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

wenger blaming the fans this morning. thats a sure fire way to get everyone back on board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wenger: "We have gone through a difficult spell, but we have come back well in the last month and a half."
    "Our attitude has been impeccable from day one this season. We want to fight together until the end."
    "This team has character and a good attitude. Some people question that, but they shouldn't."
    "I think this club has special values and we care about the club. The expectation is very high."

I would say the last month and a half is when we blew every chance of winning anything, the quotes about the good attitude is becoming tiresome.

"We lost the championship at home against lower teams but we played at home in a very difficult climate"

Thats not gonna win any disgruntled fans over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm actually beginning to resent the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

"Away from home we are the title winners." Bizarre comment as Leicester and Spurs have picked up more points on their travels than us

He said some very daft things this morning and took a few potshots at the fans which is incredibly stupid considering they were already planning a protest tomorrow. Just giving them more ammo as if it was needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

wonga77 wrote: »
    "Away from home we are the title winners." Bizarre comment as Leicester and Spurs have picked up more points on their travels than us

He said some very daft things this morning and took a few potshots at the fans which is incredibly stupid considering they were already planning a protest tomorrow. Just giving them more ammo as if it was needed

Did he take potshots at the fans?

How many times have people in here and Arsenal fans in general moaned about the quality of fans at the Emirates? Countless times I have heard in here about the real fans being those who travel to the away games and these real fans can't get tickets to home matches. That's without even mentioning the hoards of empty seats that are constantly seen at the Emirates regardless of our form.

At this stage I want Wenger to leave but it's tiresome seeing selective quotes and biased reporting of what he says at media events. I don't think it matter what he does or says at this stage, the fans (and to a certain extent some members of the media) just want him gone and are just going to interpret it in the most negative light possible to try to rile up the rest of the fans in an attempt to bring them around and force him out.

It's almost embarrassing seeing people jump to Wenger's defence on every single thing no matter how ridiculous. It's like he's paid people to protect his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It is a difficult climate. All the bitchin and banners and that.

Do you want him to pretend they don't notice it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Ah will ya give over. That started well after we lost this season. That happened because the team were playing poorly, not the other way around. Also, wasn't the banner at an away game, which totally puts your theory to rest,.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

lol, and I suppose the temperature Inside the stadium Isn't perfect sometimes either? The poor players how will they ever play football when they have so many problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's almost embarrassing seeing people jump to Wenger's defence on every single thing no matter how ridiculous. It's like he's paid people to protect his name.

others do the exact opposite - that's the sort of thing you get with freedom of speech

And the post preceding yours was a very reasoned one, unlike some of the stuff we read on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is Wenger wrong? Atmosphere is ****e, and it's generally pretty important in home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Is Wenger wrong? Atmosphere is ****e, and it's generally pretty important in home games.

its all his own making tho. If he doesnt buy an outfield player and the performances and results go south, does he just expect the fans to pat them on the back and say "better luck next time chaps". There was a time i looked forward to wengers press conferences, now they are just ugly and cringy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It's also pitiful to see you attack Wenger at every opportunity and other fans that disagree with you.

We get it you want him gone.

I want him gone too. Most of us do at this stage.

I'm just sick of people putting words in his mouth and attacking him over **** he reportedly said or did. There are enough valid reasons to attack his management style/system without personal attacks on him or making **** up.

It does nothing except reduce that validity of your arguments.

He's some boy. The last month and a half has seen 3 wins and 3 draws in the league in what should've been our easiest run all season. Along with getting dumped out of Europe and out of the Cup against Watford. Mentally strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ah will ya give over. That started well after we lost this season. That happened because the team were playing poorly, not the other way around. Also, wasn't the banner at an away game, which totally puts your theory to rest,.

The famous banner Hull...remember, when we won 4 nil? Were we out of it all by then?

Right now, no he's not the atmosphere sucks, but there are many reasons for that and most of them fall back on Wenger...
    farna_boy wrote: »
    It's also pitiful to see you attack Wenger at every opportunity and other fans that disagree with you.

We get it you want him gone.

I want him gone too. Most of us do at this stage.

I'm just sick of people putting words in his mouth and attacking him over **** he reportedly said or did. There are enough valid reasons to attack his management style/system without personal attacks on him or making **** up.

It does nothing except reduce that validity of your arguments.

Please do show me where I have attacked him or made something up about him. You won't be able to.

I can't speak for everybody but I don't recall anyone putting words In his mouth either and personal attacks? Come on man we're on a little forum here no professional football manager Is getting personally attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Right now, no he's not the atmosphere sucks, but there are many reasons for that and most of them fall back on Wenger...

That's not entirely true.
    Yes, some of the bad atmosphere is on Wenger but, that's mostly just fans booing Wenger and the team after the match.

The main reason is down to 3 simple things:

1. Bad sound design. Basically the Emirates hasn't been built with the purpose to hold sound. Its way to open which means the sound inside disappears.

2. No safe standing. You'll never get a proper chant going without it.

3. Ticket prices. The average fan has been priced out so the Emirates is full of tourists and corporate clients who couldn't care less about singing but instead just want a few pics for there Facebook profile. Just listened to how good our fans are at away games.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    That's not entirely true.
    Yes, some of the bad atmosphere is on Wenger but, that's most just fans booing and such.

The main reason is down to 3 simple things:

1. Bad sound design. Basically the Emirates hasn't been built with the purpose of hold sound. Its way to open which means the sound inside disappears.

2. No safe standing. You'll never get a proper chant going without it.

3. Ticket prices. The average fan has been priced out so the Emirates is full of tourists and corporate clients who couldn't care less about singing but instead just want a few pics for there Facebook profile. Just listened to how good our fans are at away games.

Also add to that the amount of empty corporate seats you see every home game. No doubt though If Wenger was doing a better job, buying the right players starting the right players motivating the team the right way employing solid tactics etc etc etc the atmosphere would be much different.

• Advertisement

Also add to that the amount of empty corporate seats you see every home game. No doubt though If Wenger was doing a better job, buying the right players starting the right players motivating the team the right way employing solid tactics etc etc etc the atmosphere would be much different.

Only if we were performing better. If he was doing all those things and we were in the same position in the league, it wouldn't be any different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement