Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Delighted with the protest. Well, protests, if the ten people who held up their little A4s in the 78 min even count.

Great to see the vast majority in the ground still have faith in our greatest ever manager.

I use the phone too. Old boards working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Basil3 wrote: »
    sonic85 wrote: »
    That wouldve been my first reaction but really we can't keep letting good players go. Without Ozils assists we'd surely be screwed unless the likes of Ramsey Wilshere and Iwobi step up to the plate - I wouldn't be confident of that happening.

Assists are important, but not half as important as actually putting the ball in the net. We had no problem doing that before Ozil came along.

Really? Sanchez and Giroud are responsible for lack of goals- not Ozil

He even started scoring himself cos people weren't finishing his assists

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Delighted with the protest. Well, protests, if the ten people who held up their little A4s in the 78 min even count.

Great to see the vast majority in the ground still have faith in our greatest ever manager.

Plastics- calling for Ranieri- rofl

I love Sanchez, but he drives me mental when moves break down so often because of him. Seriously, it reminds me of Walcott, only all the good bits are way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

mansize wrote: »
    Not a minority here.

Wenger got the substitution right today- people were calling for Giroud to be subbed- he set up the winner for Wenger's sub

A stopped clock is right twice a day isn't it? Many of Arsenes subs don't come off so smoothly.

I think Internet forums aren't a proper indicator of anything really. I've talked to someone who lives in London and regularly goes to matches and according to him the atmosphere has been terrible for a while now and the support for Arsene has dwindled. Well judging by today's weak excuse for a "protest" he still has the majority of fans on his side.

Top 4 is almost secure!

mansize wrote: »
    Really? Sanchez and Giroud are responsible for lack of goals- not Ozil

He even started scoring himself cos people weren't finishing his assists

I'm not blaming Ozil for lack of goals. He should be scoring more, though....minimum 10 per season.

Sherwood and Redknapp - not the brightest

No wonder Neville is considered so highly

I'd love to have work performances like Wenger- I'd be looking for bonuses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not blaming Ozil for lack of goals. He should be scoring more, though....minimum 10 per season.

He has 8 this season, so he's hardly far off that.

Can't believe people are even considering selling by far and away our best player.

• Advertisement

Assists are important, but not half as important as actually putting the ball in the net. We had no problem doing that before Ozil came along.

The goalscorer nearly always needs someone to give the ball to him - it doesn't just magically appear at his feet. I haven't seen any other player contribute as much to our goal tally as Ozil. His vision is pretty much irreplaceable - unless of course other players step up to the plate and I don't think they're capable of doing it. We need to add more good players to the pool not take them out of it

He has 8 this season, so he's hardly far off that.

Can't believe people are even considering selling by far and away our best player.

He only has 6 (I'm talking Premier League), and I sure wouldn't sell him.

The goalscorer nearly always needs someone to give the ball to him - it doesn't just magically appear at his feet. I haven't seen any other player contribute as much to our goal tally as Ozil. His vision is pretty much irreplaceable - unless of course other players step up to the plate and I don't think they're capable of doing it. We need to add more good players to the pool not take them out of it

OK? Who wants to get rid of Ozil?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

A stopped clock is right twice a day isn't it? Many of Arsenes subs don't come off so smoothly.

I think Internet forums aren't a proper indicator of anything really. I've talked to someone who lives in London and regularly goes to matches and according to him the atmosphere has been terrible for a while now and the support for Arsene has dwindled. Well judging by today's weak excuse for a "protest" he still has the majority of fans on his side.

Top 4 is almost secure!

I don't think those who chose not to protest against Wenger support him I think it's more a case of not wanting to disrespect him so blatantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't think those who chose not to protest against Wenger support him I think it's more a case of not wanting to disrespect him so blatantly

Especially during the game when the team have something to play for.

Spurs have a tough enough run in

OK? Who wants to get rid of Ozil?

I didn't say anything about someone wanting to get rid of Ozil - you said we were fine for assists before he came implying we'd be grand if he left and I replied saying right now he's irreplaceable.

Somebody did say a couple of pages back if himself and Sanchez want to leave let them go but that won't solve anything only make us weaker.

I don't know about that. In all honesty when is an appropriate time to protest? Can it ever be done respectfully? Not being ignorant or anything I'm genuinely interested.

My opinion is there's never an appropriate time and if a fan feels strongly enough about a change in management then they have to show it. Today nobody felt passionate enough about change to show they want it. It was a joke and SKY made fun of it in the studio FFS.

Plus what was disrespectful about today? It was just a show of the fans feelings nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Doesn't matter, this is already being spun by journalists and some Wenger supporters online as "proof" that anti-Wenger feeling is very much in the minority. Expect us to finish 4th and hand him a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Doesn't matter, this is already being spun by journalists and some Wenger supporters online as "proof" that anti-Wenger feeling is very much in the minority. Expect us to finish 4th and hand him a new contract.

Let's see what he does in the summer.

This has been the worst year in a long time.

I think Wenger deserves the chance to respond to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

gosplan wrote: »

Yet another chance you mean.

Surely if Leicester can win the league then it's not about more signings in the summer? It's something else maybe? I really hate banging on about this but we've been here before, many times. What makes fans think it'll be different next season?

omega man wrote: »

Surely if Leicester can win the league then it's not about more signings in the summer? It's something else maybe? I really hate banging on about this but we've been here before, many times. What makes fans think it'll be different next season?

Leicester have nothing to do with us, and nothing to do with our problems.

Our fans have every right to protest and they have a pretty good point too.

However comparisons to Leicester make them look like spoilt children. That placard today mentioning Raneiri was silly.

We underachieved, that's all. Doesn't matter who overachieved.

We'll know by August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I don't know about that. In all honesty when is an appropriate time to protest? Can it ever be done respectfully? Not being ignorant or anything I'm genuinely interested.

My opinion is there's never an appropriate time and if a fan feels strongly enough about a change in management then they have to show it. Today nobody felt passionate enough about change to show they want it. It was a joke and SKY made fun of it in the studio FFS.

Plus what was disrespectful about today? It was just a show of the fans feelings nothing more

Arseblog posted a tweet where some "fans" were chanting about wanting Wengers death outside the stadium before the game. I'd certainly be in the group of keeping silent not wanting to be associated with **** like that. I think the majority of fans recognise that a change is needed and unfortunately that starts with a change in manager. We need a manager who is younger and hungrier. One that inspires the team but also one who instils fear of failure.

Leicester have nothing to do with us, and nothing to do with our problems.

Our fans have every right to protest and they have a pretty good point too.

However comparisons to Leicester make them look like spoilt children. That placard today mentioning Raneiri was silly.

We underachieved, that's all. Doesn't matter who overachieved.

I agree but Wenger believes there are NO problems, publicly at least. Therefore in that context Leicester have everything to with this in the sense that he has zero excuses for not winning the title this season if Leicester do, as we expect they will now.

gandalf wrote: »
    Arseblog posted a tweet where some "fans" were chanting about wanting Wengers death outside the stadium before the game. I'd certainly be in the group of keeping silent not wanting to be associated with **** like that. I think the majority of fans recognise that a change is needed and unfortunately that starts with a change in manager. We need a manager who is younger and hungrier. One that inspires the team but also one who instils fear of failure.

That was outside the stadium though - goes without saying no right minded person would have anything to do with people like that but inside the stadium was a different story. It was quite civilised there was no aggression just fans making sure the board, Arsene and everyone else know they weren't happy with the situation.

Personally I think it's a cop out to suggest the fans didn't want to disrespect Arsene (whatever that means) or didn't want to associate themselves with pricks. There was a chance there today to make their displeasure known and they didn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

That was outside the stadium though - goes without saying no right minded person would have anything to do with people like that but inside the stadium was a different story. It was quite civilised there was no aggression just fans making sure the board, Arsene and everyone else know they weren't happy with the situation.

Personally I think it's a cop out to suggest the fans didn't want to disrespect Arsene (whatever that means) or didn't want to associate themselves with pricks. There was a chance there today to make their displeasure known and they didn't take it.

Maybe because they didn't wanna take it,or be involved in a sad looking protest(which it came across as) by a couple hundred people while there's a match going on.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Maybe because they didn't wanna take it,or be involved in a sad looking protest(which it came across as) by a couple hundred people while there's a match going on.

This is my last post on the matter because nobody is is adequately answering my questions but the only reason it was a sad protest is because nobody got involved.

What's this thing about protesting when theres a match on? Is that not the best time to make your feelings known? When else could you get 50000 arsenal supporters in one spot?

When is a good time to have a protest? If you don't do something inside the stadium how would the board and Arsene know and why would they care?

I agree but Wenger believes there are NO problems, publicly at least. Therefore in that context Leicester have everything to with this in the sense that he has zero excuses for not winning the title this season if Leicester do, as we expect they will now.

If Leicester **** up from here, it makes no difference to us. Leicester losing doesn't somehow get Wenger off the hook.

Every so often a team like Leicester happens. Think a young Xabi Alonso lost la liga on the final day with Real Sociedad. Think Chievo lost Serie A on the final day some time back too. If Leicester go ahead and do it, Arsenal's season is unchanged.

Judging things by these anomalies means that no one has done well enough. Else you'd be sacking every manager in Europe bar Simeone maybe.

Similarly saying 'oh Chelsea win it so we're off the hook' makes no sense.

Since the financial constraints came off Wenger can't secure the 75+ points needed to win a league. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference who can.

• Advertisement

This is my last post on the matter because nobody is is adequately answering my questions but the only reason it was a sad protest is because nobody got involved.

What's this thing about protesting when theres a match on? Is that not the best time to make your feelings known? When else could you get 50000 arsenal supporters in one spot?

When is a good time to have a protest? If you don't do something inside the stadium how would the board and Arsene know and why would they care?

They say its Arsenal FC not Arsene FC "so lets all try and have a protest when we should be supporting the team",makes no sense to me.
    Why don't they support the team for 90 mins and then have a sit in to make their point when its over?(sky sports would love that),you think the board wouldn't see that? No coz they're too busy heading off to the pub to talk bollox on how their protest went and how they are standing up to the board, lets be honest its the worst organised ongoing protest ive seen.

They say its Arsenal FC not Arsene FC "so lets all try and have a protest when we should be supporting the team",makes no sense to me.
    Why don't they support the team for 90 mins and then have a sit in to make their point when its over?(sky sports would love that),you think the board wouldn't see that? No coz they're too busy heading off to the pub to talk bollox on how their protest went and how they are standing up to the board, lets be honest its the worst organised ongoing protest ive seen.

The protest was about change, not simply getting rid of Wenger. Do any Arsenal fans actually believe no change is required at all?

For once a group of Arsenal fans stopped moaning about it online and actually tried something in the stadium that was respectful and dignified and still others complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Motivation is clearly lacking at Arsenal. We scrape a win with a relegation side, when we are still not safe for CL qualification. To my mind it's not just the fans who are fed up with Wenger, the team as well?

The protest was about change, not simply getting rid of Wenger. Do any Arsenal fans actually believe no change is required at all?

For once a group of Arsenal fans stopped moaning about it online and actually tried something in the stadium that was respectful and dignified and still others complain.

It was about getting Wenger out lets not try make it out to be something it wasn't

Any Arsenal fans I know (and some fans of other clubs) recognise that the board are equally to blame along with Arsene. Unless you were there in the thick of it how would you know what their motivations were?

The signs said time for change - I took it to mean in general. Maybe I'm wrong though

EDIT: it was run by the Black Scarf movement

http://www.blackscarfafc.co.uk/time-for-change.html

• Advertisement

Any Arsenal fans I know (and some fans of other clubs) recognise that the board are equally to blame along with Arsene. Unless you were there in the thick of it how would you know what their motivations were?

The signs said time for change - I took it to mean in general. Maybe I'm wrong though

You are wrong mate if Wenger was gone tomorrow there wouldn't be another protest

You are wrong mate if Wenger was gone tomorrow there wouldn't be another protest

Well that would be change then wouldn't it.

A lot of fans just want some recognition of the clubs failure this season and that efforts will be made to addres this. That's why the banner only said change and not specifically Wenger out. This meant more fans could take part in the protest, which didn't really materialise.

In saying that the thousands of empty seats at the end of the game told a story itself.

Well that would be change then wouldn't it.

A lot of fans just want some recognition of the clubs failure this season and that efforts will be made to addres this. That's why the banner only said change and not specifically Wenger out. This meant more fans could take part in the protest, which didn't really materialise.

In saying that the thousands of empty seats at the end of the game told a story itself.

You mean the same seats that are always empty from people leaving a few mins early like they always do?

You have to ask yourself why it didnt materialise,they don't know wether to stick or twist when it comes to this protest and in the end it looks like something that was organised after a few pre game pints

You mean the same seats that are always empty from people leaving a few mins early like they always do?

You have to ask yourself why it didnt materialise,they don't know wether to stick or twist when it comes to this protest and in the end it looks like something that was organised after a few pre game pints

No way are that many seats empty in the 85th minute in a game in the balance.

The protest was arranged by 3 different well established supporters groups so hardly over pints. We don't really have any history when it comes to fan protest so it was a start at least.

No way are that many seats empty in the 85th minute in a game in the balance.

The protest was arranged by 3 different well established supporters groups so hardly over pints. We don't really have any history when it comes to fan protest so it was a start at least.

3 different supporters groups and that was the culmination of their efforts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lads I see Crowley is rumoured to be committing to Ireland.Any of ye seen much of him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,424 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

His response for the last few poor seasons leads me to believe he has had enough chances tbh.
    He'll still be here though in 3 years time. Our club lacks ambition from the top down. Only money matters.

His response for the last few poor seasons leads me to believe he has had enough chances tbh.
    He'll still be here though in 3 years time. Our club lacks ambition from the top down. Only money matters.

I would only really agree based on last summer. I felt we had turned a corner with the signing of Ozil, followed by Sanchez/Welbeck/Ospina/Chambers/Debuchy the following summer. All decent signings.

I just feel a lot of momentum was lost last summer, and Wenger isn't the type of guy to pay crazy money for a Martial type player. I wonder if people would have been happy if we did sign him?

I would only really agree based on last summer. I felt we had turned a corner with the signing of Ozil, followed by Sanchez/Welbeck/Ospina/Chambers/Debuchy the following summer. All decent signings.

I just feel a lot of momentum was lost last summer, and Wenger isn't the type of guy to pay crazy money for a Martial type player. I wonder if people would have been happy if we did sign him?

I am not even talking about signings.
    Wenger can't seem to motivate the team anymore. Either that or they are no longer playing for him. Our football has become slow and laborious with us having 75% plus possession but creating very little clear chances. Even a very poor Norwich team created a lot more clear chances than we did yesterday. The same in a lot of other games. Our quick breaking and slick passing has disappeared and now we huff and puff and our build-up play is nowhere near what it used to be.
    We have become very stale and need to do something about it.

Wenger can't seem to motivate the team anymore. Either that or they are no longer playing for him. Our football has become slow and laborious with us having 75% plus possession but creating very little clear chances. Even a very poor Norwich team created a lot more clear chances than we did yesterday. The same in a lot of other games. Our quick breaking and slick passing has disappeared and now we huff and puff and our build-up play is nowhere near what it used to be.

Recently, yes. That's not how we were playing at the start of this season. We were playing defensively, with quick breaks.

Recently, yes. That's not how we were playing at the start of this season. We were playing defensively, with quick breaks.

We are always good at some point of the season. Never consistent. It's doing it all season or for the vast majority of the season that matters. Sometimes I feel that the team have "Top 4 mentality" instead of winning it mentality. I am beginning to despair.

I think he had faith in Giroud and Walcott to do a job between them.

They've been useless.

They've been useless.

It could be summed-up in one word - Commitment.
    A lot of our players don't have it. Just look at the two players you mentioned - Walcott pulling out of challenges (has been like that for years) and Giroud looking up to Heaven when he makes a mistake instead of chasing the ball and making up for his mistake. Then look at the commitment of the Leicester players throwing themselves in the way of shots (some of our players turn their backs)or chasing back for all they're worth. Campbell did that when he was playing (not our most gifted player but a huge trier) and he was dropped???

They've been useless.

There are many factors this season, but these two (and Alexis) not stepping up (combined with the ocassional Per/Gabriel calamity) are the main ones.

The players should have been able to get the job done this time around.

We are always good at some point of the season. Never consistent. It's doing it all season or for the vast majority of the season that matters. Sometimes I feel that the team have "Top 4 mentality" instead of winning it mentality. I am beginning to despair.

I don't think they go into any season or match without the mindset of winning it.

Getting top 4 is a side effect of consistently performing near the top without winning it.

What mentality would you say other clubs have?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement