Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think they go into any season or match without the mindset of winning it.

Getting top 4 is a side effect of consistently performing near the top without winning it.

What mindset would you say other clubs have?

I don't give a damn about other clubs Basil. We are performing near the top for years but not winning it. For me that's no good at all. There is something wrong with our mindset for sure as we should have won it this season with the players we have. Only one club can win it per year and this season it should have been us. What mindset have we had since Christmas? Certainly not a winning one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Walcott and 10 million for Sturridge please.

Walcott and 10 million for Sturridge please.

Physio table substitution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    There are many factors this season, but these two (and Alexis) not stepping up (combined with the ocassional Per/Gabriel calamity) are the main ones.

The players should have been able to get the job done this time around.

Yeah. I can even forgive Alexis but an extra 10 goals from Giroud and Walcott combined would have made all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah. I can even forgive Alexis but an extra 10 goals from Giroud and Walcott combined would have made all the difference.

I think that's harsh on Giroud. He cost a third of the price of Sanchez, yet it's Sanchez who gets the free pass. Not sure I get the logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sanchez has 12 league goals and 5 assists from playing on the wing. Giroud has the exact same playing up front. Don't think it's a like for like comparison really. Giroud stepping up would mean him hitting 20 goals. Sanchez returns are acceptable imo.

greendom wrote: »
    I think that's harsh on Giroud. He cost a third of the price of Sanchez, yet it's Sanchez who gets the free pass. Not sure I get the logic?

Sanchez has had a season hit by injury.

Giroud is a striker who hasn't scored in 13 hours.

I'm not trying to be harsh on him. Just that Wenger relying on him and Walcott for goals has turned out to be a mistake.

Physio table substitution?

Rather 10 games out of Sturridge than 20 out of Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Rather 10 games out of Sturridge than 20 out of Walcott

I'd be happy to see Walcott signing for any of our enemies. As long as they promise to play him all the time .

Ah, that's mean. Sorry.

• Advertisement

City might be in a spot of top 4 bother after we beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

City might be in a spot of top 4 bother after we beat them.

Have you ever tried your hand at stand up?

This is really a different read to how I read it in 2012. He was right.

http://linkis.com/www.goal.com/en-gb/n/65XHW

wawaman wrote: »
    Have you ever tried your hand at stand up?

I write my own material, delivery needs work though.

What do you find funny? Pep with no Champions League?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Us in the form we are in beating city away

wawaman wrote: »
    Us in the form we are in beating city away

Ah well, we're unbeaten in 9, they just got a good beating by Southampton. Even a draw won't be enough for them if United win their remaining 3.

• Advertisement

Ah well, we're unbeaten in 9, they just got a good beating by Southampton. Even a draw won't be enough for them if United win their remaining 3.

Plus they've a monster game in between.

Actually, if we don't lose to City and West Ham and Utd win their next two, then the following match between Utd and West Ham at Upton Park will be insane. The biggest premiership era match there as the last.

Imagine Leicester, Spurs, Us and Hammers going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

This is really a different read to how I read it in 2012. He was right.

http://linkis.com/www.goal.com/en-gb/n/65XHW

Please don't use that cnut as a basis for any argument

gosplan wrote: »
    Actually, if we don't lose to City and West Ham and Utd win their next two, then the following match between Utd and West Ham at Upton Park will be insane. The biggest premiership era match there as the last.

Imagine Leicester, Spurs, Us and Hammers going through.

To add to that scenario. Should City come 5th and both they and Liverpool win their respective European competitions, then whoever comes 4th would miss out on Champions league. Very unlikely I know but it's still a possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Win our last 2 games, could finish 2nd! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Having spent the last ten minutes staring at the sleeves on the new away shirt, I now firmly believe we can finish second :pac:

mansize wrote: »
    Win our last 2 games, could finish 2nd! lol

Had the manager and team got their act together we would have come 1st.
    Too little, too late now.

Had the manager and team got their act together we would have come 1st.
    Too little, too late now.

Yeah, but then Leicester wouldn't have won it- and arsenal would be the bogeymen!

Thats gone! Imagine the Spurs wobble! they'll prob draw tomorrow and that will end that but its fun thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Yeah, but then Leicester wouldn't have won it- and arsenal would be the bogeymen!

Thats gone! Imagine the Spurs wobble! they'll prob draw tomorrow and that will end that but its fun thinking about it!

I think every single gooner would get a serious laugh and satisfaction from sneaking second over Spurs but the reality is it would simply paper over huge cracks and give Wenger and the club the chance to say crisis, what crisis? Hopefully it'll still happen but the season was a write off already. Too little too late.

omega man wrote: »
    I think every single gooner would get a serious laugh and satisfaction from sneaking second over Spurs but the reality is it would simply paper over huge cracks and give Wenger and the club the chance to say crisis, what crisis? Hopefully it'll still happen but the season was a write off already. Too little too late.

There's a crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Andip wrote: »
    Having spent the last ten minutes staring at the sleeves on the new away shirt, I now firmly believe we can finish second :pac:

I love that new away shirt but the sleeves are fairly dodgy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

To add to that scenario. Should City come 5th and both they and Liverpool win their respective European competitions, then whoever comes 4th would miss out on Champions league. Very unlikely I know but it's still a possibility

I dont think Liverpool winning the EL has any bearing on the CL places from the league - so it would just need Man City to win the CL and if they come 5th then 4th would lose out.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I dont think Liverpool winning the EL has any bearing on the CL places from the league - so it would just need Man City to win the CL and if they come 5th then 4th would lose out.

No he's correct. 4th only loses CL place if both city and pool win their respective European cups.

Hyzepher wrote: »

I thought no league could have more than 5 teams in the CL but perhaps you're right.

There's a crisis?

Of course not Basil.

Well except for those pesky home fans who have contributed to our title woes but sure we're away champions though ;-)

• Advertisement

I thought no league could have more than 5 teams in the CL but perhaps you're right.

Rule changed re CL winners so 5 teams allowed. Therefore city and pool would get the 4th and 5th spots.

So IF both get to the final it'll be squeaky bum time for the team who get 4th!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Spain had 5 this year I think

So we would miss the chance of not winning or seriously challenging for this competition yet again if we came fourth and City and Pool won the two Cups?

How unfortunate that would be.

So we would miss the chance of not winning or seriously challenging for this competition yet again if we came fourth and City and Pool won the two Cups?

Won't happen - United getting 3RD that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They made a new rule recently. The only way that 4th misses out on the CL qualifiers is if City win CL, Liverpool win EL and both finish outside the top 4.

L'prof wrote: »
    They made a new rule recently. The only way that 4th misses out on the CL qualifiers is if City win CL, Liverpool win EL and both finish outside the top 4.

Exactly! 5 is the new max from any one league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

that gave me a good chuckle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Exactly! 5 is the new max from any one league.

The 5th team has to be the Europa league winners, so its irrelevant

If city finish 5th or lower and win the CL, 4th in the pl miss out. Same as before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

batistuta9 wrote: »

If city finish 5th or lower and win the CL, 4th in the pl miss out. Same as before

Do they definitely? Didn't realise that part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Neither City nor Liverpool will win either cup so its certainly irrelevant who finishes 4th

Only if pool win the Europa league too.

4th still gets CL place even if city finish out of top 4 and win CL. Basically 5 teams from one country can qualify now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

L'prof wrote: »
    Do they definitely? Didn't realise that part of it.
    omega man wrote: »
    Only if pool win the Europa league too.

4th still gets CL place even if city finish out of top 4 and win CL. Basically 5 teams from one country can qualify now.

i thought the rule only applied when the 5th place team was the EL winner.
    hope only city make it through & we'll know for definite :pac:

So guys who would you sell this summer?

First name on my list- Theo Walcott
    Shift some of the dead weight and get a pacy striker who can shoot at goal!

I'd keep Giroud, Alexis and Welbeck

Probably sell Ox too if the right bid came in, and jack and his glass ankles.

So guys who would you sell this summer?

First name on my list- Theo Walcott
    Shift some of the dead weight and get a pacy striker who can shoot at goal!

I'd keep Giroud, Alexis and Welbeck

Probably sell Ox too if the right bid came in, and jack and his glass ankles.

Sell off 3 English players? Highly unlikely.

Would agree with Walcott, but can't see the other two going at their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It's laughable that we didn't even manage a goal against this Chelsea team.

• Advertisement

Sell off 3 English players? Highly unlikely.

Would agree with Walcott, but can't see the other two going at their age.

I'd be happy just to get rid of Theo tbf.

I'd sell Theo, Gibbs and Mert for sure.
    They are the players who I saw chicken-out of challenges or turn their backs to the ball throughout the season. We need brave wholehearted players.

:p
    I'd sell Theo, Gibbs and Mert for sure.
    They are the players who I saw chicken-out of challenges or turn their backs to the ball throughout the season. We need brave wholehearted players.

Mert isn't long for this world I reckon, the glue factory is calling.

Gibbs- god he is disappointing- except that one game he played well in.

keano_afc wrote: »

Knew it wouldn't take long for someone to come up with this type of comment. Getting too predictable, lads! ;)

keano_afc wrote: »

Costa winding up Gab and weak refereeing cost us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement